• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, really? Maybe I am just sensitive to wind.

There really is no 1 stop solution for people

That said: I've found that a proper layer with just a wind jacket is better than a full on fleece jacket. No amount of vents will get enough air flowing to help regulate your body heat. I also recently began to mix in a SmartWool vest instead of a full jacket b/c it leaves my arms more exposed to help regulate body temperature. Whenever I go out in a Castelli fleece lined jacket I bought I'll be ok for 30-40 minutes and then just soaking wet which leads to me freezing the moment we stop.

This morning I went out with a wool long sleeve base, thermal jersey & wind jacket in 30-35 degree weather and was almost too warm. And this was mountain biking too where your body temp goes through ramps more than a steady pace on a road bike.

There is a theory that a warm core will help keep the body 'warm' because your body will need to draw less to keep the organs warm, but I don't know how true that is. I tend to be more in the if my hands/feet/head are cold then my body can't feel warm.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I picked up a long sleeve jersey to put over my base layer. Maybe I will get a new wind/rain jacket, which I've been meaning to replace for a while. That I could fold up if I get warm and would be an option other than my jacket if it's not bitter cold.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, more layers, always. But some people are just colder than others. Especially their hands / feet.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my feet and hands are almost always freezing for the first 20-30 minutes. Then my problem becomes my core gets too hot/sweaty and I'll begin to chill

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
My feet aren't too bad but my hands always freeze. In the winter I wear two pairs of gloves.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Help! Can't find the right tube.

So, I had to patch my front inner tube today and I realized that I better stock on replacements. So, the tire I got are these ones. The specs are clear, right? I need tubes that are compatible with the 16"x1", 25-349 specs. So, I go to Amazon and found these:

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Sunlite...ef=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

And the options are:
  • 16 x 1.0 (ISO 349x19)
  • 16 x 1-3/8 (ISO 349x25)
So, none seems to fit right! I'm leaning for the 16 x 1.0 (ISO 349x19) option as the most used Brompton inner tubes (16 x 1-3/8) are a tad big for my racing tires, but what if the first option is too small? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
My ground anchor is in place, and my bikes are in my new (alarmed) garage. Just need to put my steadyracks in now.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
2FLLOZc

Went for a short ride in the Portugese hills off the coast of Faro. Was really nice to be out again instead of hooked to a trainer.
Bit of a bummer my inlaw came along as he's not as fit but a good ride nonetheless.

Weather got spooky on the downhill with rain and some heavy gusts of wind on exposed sections.
I rented a bike at a local shop. First time I rode a Trek Emonda. Can't say I was too impressed. The ride felt a bit more wonky than my Canyon Endurace. Which is a good thing I suppose, bit of confirmation for my purchase :)

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Do you guys think that investing in a spoke tension meter is a good investment for wheel maintenance?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Mine goes to the LBS any time I have to do any crap like that. Some people say it's calming... but I find it an infuriating job.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, adjusting spokes is a job I get the LBS to do. I'd rather not take chances with an improperly tensioned wheel - you don't want your wheel failing on you because you didn't adjust the spokes properly, and I'm not competent enough to do it myself.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Okay... SO...

For the next major chapter in The Creak from Hell:

After a week of waiting, I got my bike back from the campus shop, after paying 80 dollars for a tune-up/having my chain replaced, I take it out and THIS GODDAMN CREAK IS STILL THERE. So I gave it back to them to take another look and after they disassembled the bottom bracket, it turns out that the BEARINGS LITERALLY BURST AND ALL THAT WAS LEFT WAS A PILE OF DIRT. So, at this point the guy recommends to me to either go up to another local shop to get some new bearings (they didn't have any in stock) or just start looking at a new bike since it was not going to be worth it to keep having to perform maintenance on it (I mean for Christ sake, this whole ordeal has cost me over $200, more than the cost of the bike when I got it). So now... I guess I'm in the market for a new bike. However, I'm absolutely broke, so it'll be a little while before I can afford a new one. I think what I might do is take the bike up this weekend to a local shop and have them assess the situation to see which course of action I should take.

I don't know, this whole situation has pissed me the fuck off, especially considering that I only got the bike back in August. It has been too damn long since I have been able to enjoy the luxury of just riding around campus for the hell of it. Also, I've never bought a bike on my own, so I honestly have no clue what I should be looking for or what my targeted budget should be. What do I do?

robox

Nov 10, 2017
oh man, i feel for you. i've been through something like that, where a minor problem turns into a major one, all because of ocd.

probably best to find another cheap bike, make sure things run smoothly, and ride it until it falls apart. just make sure the chain is lubed, brakes have ample life, and tires have tread and air.
making a friend that knows about bikes would be helpful in picking out a one in decent shape.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay... SO...

For the next major chapter in The Creak from Hell:

After a week of waiting, I got my bike back from the campus shop, after paying 80 dollars for a tune-up/having my chain replaced, I take it out and THIS GODDAMN CREAK IS STILL THERE. So I gave it back to them to take another look and after they disassembled the bottom bracket, it turns out that the BEARINGS LITERALLY BURST AND ALL THAT WAS LEFT WAS A PILE OF DIRT. So, at this point the guy recommends to me to either go up to another local shop to get some new bearings (they didn't have any in stock) or just start looking at a new bike since it was not going to be worth it to keep having to perform maintenance on it (I mean for Christ sake, this whole ordeal has cost me over $200, more than the cost of the bike when I got it). So now... I guess I'm in the market for a new bike. However, I'm absolutely broke, so it'll be a little while before I can afford a new one. I think what I might do is take the bike up this weekend to a local shop and have them assess the situation to see which course of action I should take.

I don't know, this whole situation has pissed me the fuck off, especially considering that I only got the bike back in August. It has been too damn long since I have been able to enjoy the luxury of just riding around campus for the hell of it. Also, I've never bought a bike on my own, so I honestly have no clue what I should be looking for or what my targeted budget should be. What do I do?

Some shops do offer layaway / pay as you can type programs, but it may depend on how well they know you. This could be option to get onto something newer in an easier manner. For your own consolation, if it can be that, you can find very good bikes now for 300-500. This may seem like a lot, but it's not relative to regular bike costs.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Got my first strava bot today. Gave me kudos for my commute and asked me to visit her website if I want to fuck. Didn't know that was a thing.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I've had a rash of Strava bots in the last few days, all with suspiciously glamorous profile pics. Makes a change from random Russians though.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I had to put the knobby tires back on my gravel bike. Front tire went ok. Back wheel turns out I put the tire on backwards (I checked, I swear!), so I had to do it over. Put the back wheel back on and it turns out it has a leak. Redo the back wheel.

Changing tires is like my kryptonite.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I'm never convinced that it makes any difference which way round you fit "directional" tyres, to be honest.

Oct 25, 2017
I had to put the knobby tires back on my gravel bike. Front tire went ok. Back wheel turns out I put the tire on backwards (I checked, I swear!), so I had to do it over. Put the back wheel back on and it turns out it has a leak. Redo the back wheel.

Changing tires is like my kryptonite.

Why not just a get a multi-path tire?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just a get a multi-path tire?

I'd have to look up what those are :)

Anyway, I had slicks on and am doing a mixed terrain ride this weekend. Last season I was riding mostly on road so I swapped out the tires to avoid wear on the treads. Hoping to use this bike entirely on gravel and dirt this season, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to look up what those are :)

Anyway, I had slicks on and am doing a mixed terrain ride this weekend. Last season I was riding mostly on road so I swapped out the tires to avoid wear on the treads. Hoping to use this bike entirely on gravel and dirt this season, though.

Just meaning tires that offer enough tread variation to grip fine on dirt. Unless you're in super loose dirt or grass you can make do with Schwalbe GOne Speed, Compass BonJon, Donnelly Strada, Schwalbe GOne Allround. If you want more bite there is Donnelly MSO Xplor, WTB Riddler, Maxxis Rambler and the always favorite Panaracer GravelKing Sk.

Any of these can work on the road it's just some will have a bit more noticeable feel due to tread. I rode the GOne Allround most of last year and loved them. Perfect for 70/30 road to dirt riding and handled pretty well in most dirt and grass situations. Only downside is tread ware as I'm around 1500 miles on them and the center tread on the rear is almost gone.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I needed to make sure that my bike was in good working order. 33F and snowing was a perfect dress rehearsal to also make sure my winter gear fit as well. Legs felt coldest off the bat, but they did start to warm up so I think I should be ok. Wind in my face is my biggest concern, but I have enough combinations of hats, balaclavas and sunglasses that I figure I can come up with something I like.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Any recommendations for good sport/performance hybrid bikes under $500?

EDIT: also just got my current bike back and yeah... the ring that held the bearings literally turned to dust. The creaking came from the metal on metal in the bottom bracket.

Last edited:

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I was looking at titanium spokes and looks like, unless you have a dedicated team giving maintenance to your wheel and/or only ride in well maintained flat roads, they aren't worth it... Is this a fair assessment?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a scary 38 days with no tracking updates, but as it happens, free shipping from India does work.

kbARIwk.jpg

So much shellac.

So, I was looking at titanium spokes and looks like, unless you have a dedicated team giving maintenance to your wheel and/or only ride in well maintained flat roads, they aren't worth it... Is this a fair assessment?
I don't think so. Titanium spokes can work fine if the wheelbuilder knows what they're doing, it's just usually difficult to justify the cost.

Titanium is less dense than steel, but also less rigid. You can sometimes use titanium spokes to make a wheel slightly lighter, if rigidity isn't a concern. Otherwise, you're using thicker spokes, which make the wheel very slightly less aero. Ultimately, none of this tends to matter much... titanium can sometimes be the right choice for a wheel, but it's pricier and there's frequently no point to it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
OK, hourly forecast is out for Sunday and looks like it will be between 30-34 (-1 to +1 for everyone else) for my ride. Base layer, jersey and windbreaker still the way to go? (And shoe covers and glove liners and gloves and balaclava)

Oct 25, 2017
OK, hourly forecast is out for Sunday and looks like it will be between 30-34 (-1 to +1 for everyone else) for my ride. Base layer, jersey and windbreaker still the way to go? (And shoe covers and glove liners and gloves and balaclava)

Long sleeve jersey if you have it. Just remember it's cooler out so you're going to be chilled the first 30 or so and then your body will ramp up. I sometimes bring my extra windbreaker to change out halfway through a ride on cold days.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm likely heading out in a few hours to do a cold day ride. Even if it's 15-20m I'll take it over being inside another day

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Okay, that is the last FUCKING DIME I spend on that bike. Went to the bike shop and for 60 more dollars, they just up and replaced my bottom bracket. Finally just about everything works as it should. The guy there also showed me some pretty nice bikes to consider in the future such as this pretty nice Giant mountain hybrid for around 475.

I'm so exhausted right now.

Moral of the story: take your bike inside kids and don't leave it in the rain.

Now the only thing that's going on that I can't figure out how to fix is this chain skipping whenever it's in 7th gear.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, that is the last FUCKING DIME I spend on that bike. Went to the bike shop and for 60 more dollars, they just up and replaced my bottom bracket. Finally just about everything works as it should. The guy there also showed me some pretty nice bikes to consider in the future such as this pretty nice Giant mountain hybrid for around 475.

Now the only thing that's going on that I can't figure out how to fix is this chain skipping whenever it's in 7th gear.

Chain could be stretched, gears could be worn, or the indexing could just be off a little.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017

Glad to hear you got it back in working order!
If your bike has been out in the rain for a bit, cleaning your chain and casette (if you haven't done so yet) or maybe replacing the chain, are the easiest and cheapest things to look into first.

Addnan

Oct 28, 2017
Had been off the bike since pretty much end of last year with injury. Wasn't even a cycling injury, fucking football. Hopped back on trainer today. Dear god, this is so difficult.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm researching Carbon rims, and looks like they melt under braking heat? I'm used to brake hard and often. I'm a city rider on a hilly landscape, with lots of potholes and speed bumps to booth....

Last edited: