Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any guesses on who these mysterious 7 Senate Republicans are?

Ok, someone please burst my bubble if I'm in one. Who actually wants this? Why would anyone be excited to get back to cooperating with the people that collectively decided to pretend like Biden didn't win and almost certainly would've gone with a coup if it had happened?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ok, someone please burst my bubble if I'm in one. Who actually wants this? Why would anyone be excited to get back to cooperating with the people that collectively decided to pretend like Biden didn't win and almost certainly would've gone with a coup if it had happened?
I think it's less excitement to work with people and more that working with them is the only way to get anything done without majorities in both congressional branches

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
They can't do shit with the dems controlling the house.
This is what I read on CNN that makes me little nervous as usual:

There are 538 electoral votes -- one for each congressman and senator plus three for Washington, DC. If no candidate gets to a majority -- that's 270 -- then the 435 members of the House decide the election. Each state gets a vote. So while there are more Democrats in the House, Republicans, as of now, control more state delegations, so it is possible the House could pick Donald Trump even though there is a Democratic majority.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The point is if they are even willing to cooperate they can break the potential stonewall of a Republican Senate.

If we can get anything through the Senate it can be better nothing. It is not ideal at all.

It's the unfortunate fact of the two party system of American politics.

And as one of those two parties has increasing entrenched any cooperation is rare, so desired.

But it's also not going to happen, reaching across the aisle has been dead since Gingrich's "Contract with America"

Oct 25, 2017

There are 538 electoral votes -- one for each congressman and senator plus three for Washington, DC. If no candidate gets to a majority -- that's 270 -- then the 435 members of the House decide the election. Each state gets a vote. So while there are more Democrats in the House, Republicans, as of now, control more state delegations, so it is possible the House could pick Donald Trump even though there is a Democratic majority.

that's if there is a tie in the EC

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Like did you miss where Don only has like 236 electors or

OP
OP
Poltergust

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

This situation literally can't happen anymore. Biden already won the EC.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Biden has a majority so what are you nervous about?

btw there is no actual constitutional provision for congress to even certify the results, just accept them. At best you could argue it's necessary and proper. The last time there was a real dispute it did not go to a vote of delegations because thats only for a tie. This is not even a real dispute

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When they're out here hyping up election fraud, turning this shit into the SuperBowl?

Yeah, CNN can eat shit. And fuck you for implying I'm spouting fake news.
Agreed.

The news media in the US is a joke as it is always chasing ratings so it needed to make this election a horse race from day one.

And while reporting on the various lawsuits was important, they needed to be constantly saying "and its frivolous and pointless"

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

The news media in the US is a joke as it is always chasing ratings so it needed to make this election a horse race from day one.

And while reporting on the various lawsuits was important, they needed to be constantly saying "and its frivolous and pointless"

This is literally what CNN says all day.

I swear some of you make sweeping generalizations sometimes.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

Every bit of reporting I see from legitimate news sources points out that claims of widespread fraud are completely baseless.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Awesome now hopefully there is no fuckery on Jan 6th!
CNN still scaring me with that shit

This is what cnn and Q people are talking about.
www.belfercenter.org

Donald Trump's Stealthy Road to Victory

As the counting of votes in Arizona, Georgia, and especially Pennsylvania continues, most of the press and punditry have concluded that Vice President Biden has won the 2020 election. Certainly, a substantial majority of the rest of us are suffering from “election fatigue” and eager for this...

In 1876 the election was overturned and "it might" happen. .0001% chance but they have to sell ads, and Q people dreams.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.belfercenter.org

As the counting of votes in Arizona, Georgia, and especially Pennsylvania continues, most of the press and punditry have concluded that Vice President Biden has won the 2020 election. Certainly, a substantial majority of the rest of us are suffering from “election fatigue” and eager for this...

In 1876 the election was overturned and "it might" happen. .0001% chance but they have to sell ads, and Q people dreams.
In 1876 it wasn't overturned by a house delegation vote, an extra-constitutional independent commission was setup and ultimately a compromise was reached. There was actual fuckery and disputed elector slates between governors and legislatures. It's not a good comparison to Trump's horseshit but even if it were it doesn't end in a new Trump term

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. I'll admit I cut the cord, years ago and I only get news here, and TalkingPointMemo

I would suggest at least browsing traditional news' sites so you can get a sense of what most people are seeing. Living purely on the internet — and even this site's biases — can negatively color your perspectives of the state of media.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
In 1876 it wasn't overturned by a house delegation vote, an extra-constitutional independent commission was setup and ultimately a compromise was reached. There was actual fuckery and disputed elector slates between governors and legislatures. It's not a good comparison to Trump's horseshit but even if it were it doesn't end in a new Trump term

This is their last grasp. After January 6th it will be 2024 Trump as the new marching call.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea that'll probably end in a Pelosi presidency. The first major problem that article has is that so far there has been no secondary elector slates sent by the legislatures. That can still happen but so far hasn't. Then the rest relies on Pence pretty much deciding not to do his job as described in the Constitution and refuse to count the votes of particular states.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Yea that'll probably end in a Pelosi presidency. The first major problem that article has is that so far there has been no secondary elector slates sent by the legislatures. That can still happen but so far hasn't. Then the rest relies on Pence pretty much deciding not to do his job as described in the Constitution and refuse to count the votes of particular states.
I believe the President Pro Tempore (Grassley) would then announce the electoral vote results if Pence refuses. If Grassley refuses I don't know where it goes. Someone else probably.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Well the are pinning their hopes on the fake electors the republican legislators sent to vote for Trump because state legislators have the constitutional right to do so? Sounds like BS

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I am relieved after today but honestly VERY concerned for all future elections. Democracy cannot and will not survive if dozens of millions refuse to accept election results. Not sure what the answer is tho...

Also, I wonder if Trump will hold a rally announcing his 2024 run while the inauguration is happening. Sounds just about petty enough to have a realistic chance of happening.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am relieved after today but honestly VERY concerned for all future elections. Democracy cannot and will not survive if dozens of millions refuse to accept election results. Not sure what the answer is tho...

Also, I wonder if Trump will hold a rally announcing his 2024 run while the inauguration is happening. Sounds just about petty enough to have a realistic chance of happening.

Step 1 has to be to ensure that the people who committed the crimes against the very fundamentals of democracy are removed from their ability to spread further harm. That means Trump specifically needs to be either in jail or otherwise removed from all access to press and social media. Hopefully they get him on something relatively quickly...

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
www.belfercenter.org

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Step 1 has to be to ensure that the people who committed the crimes against the very fundamentals of democracy are removed from their ability to spread further harm. That means Trump specifically needs to be either in jail or otherwise removed from all access to press and social media. Hopefully they get him on something relatively quickly...

I feel like something is cooking in New York but this dude has avoided consequences for his entire life til this point and has done a lot of shit. So, I hope prosecutors have put together a strong case that could end in him being carted off to jail.

Actual jail time for a former president sounds crazy though so I'm not even sure if that's realistic lol.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I feel like something is cooking in New York but this dude has avoided consequences for his entire life til this point and has done a lot of shit. So, I hope prosecutors have put together a strong case that could end in him being carted off to jail.

Actual jail time for a former president sounds crazy though so I'm not even sure if that's realistic lol.

It's not. The likelihood of Trump even facing financial penalties is slim to none.
I am confident we'll hear plenty about tax and business related investigations on Trump in 2021. But I don't think we'll see any bombs dropped in terms of charges. He'll settle whatever he needs to settle using the ridiculous amount of campaign donations he has received. And I don't think too many businesses will be in a rush to collect from a former President.

I'd love to be wrong.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's not. The likelihood of Trump even facing financial penalties is slim to none.
I am confident we'll hear plenty about tax and business related investigations on Trump in 2021. But I don't think we'll see any bombs dropped in terms of charges. He'll settle whatever he needs to settle using the ridiculous amount of campaign donations he has received. And I don't think too many businesses will be in a rush to collect from a former President.

I'd love to be wrong.

I have always been skeptical of him actually doing jail time - like you, the worst I imagine is fines which is basically nothing lol.
Here's hoping something happens before 2024 to prevent him from running. I get PTSD thinking about him getting re-elected like the country might as well just go up in flames if he gets another round with even more revenge on his mind!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so surprised. Not really. I was one of the few on here who said Biden would win the presidency when he beat Bernie for the Democrat nominee, while you had people scared or some outright saying he'll never beat Trump.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Trump's entire life has been effortlessly wriggling out of legal troubles and that was before he was President lol

He might get some fines, maybe some civil suits. Not much else. No appetite to go after an executive once they've left office exists anywhere in the US legal system.