WTF? Didn't they literally release an artbook titled "Devil may Cry: 3142"!? Make up your mind!

Although, it IS interesting that they're changing their minds in the first place. Must be something important in 5 that would mess the timeline up... so Dante dies?
No, I think you misunderstood. 5 was meant to be the last in the timeline the whole time. Before 2 was placed between 4 and 5, now it's just shifted to 1 and 4. Whatever happens in 5 was never affected by this.
They could have made the story in 5 reference to 2 - that e.g. Dante did something while he was in hell, that somehow leads to the events in 5, but that possibility is gone now.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Maybe we've been reading DMC2 wrong this whole time and he's not super serious and stoic, just confused and stoned. He doesn't respond when monologued to because he's too busy trying to figure out what was even being said.

There we go, inconsistency handwaved.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Excuse me?

nah
41746c9c8fed0c8b64d99bbcc08146c220bdeb2b_hq.jpg

DanteDevilMayCry2.png

131a9d2651932087843d434ed531a865.gif

If anything DMC5 Dante looks more like a post DMC2 Dante.
Devil-May-Cry-2.jpg

Saddly, DMC 2 have best Dande design

Oct 29, 2017
Sure hope they didn't mocap any scenes of Dante flipping a coin in 5...

I guess Dante just forgot about having wings and Majin Devil Trigger after he came back from hell.
Devil-Trigger-devil-may-cry-38670957-640-448.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

and I suppose we should just ignore that his DT in 5 looks more like the one in 2...
r3hoihz1hbn11.png

Feels like this change was made due to a conversation involving where the words "Fuck it" were uttered.

Dante was fucking around so much in 4 I don't think he even needed to use his majin DT. But then again, that was half of a game so who knows.

His devil trigger in 5 looks amazing. Best one yet.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
His DT in 5 looks like more like 4 DT especially when you are actually in the game. His ULTIMATE devil trigger however looks more like DMC2.

dmc5-screens-dante-deviltrigger01-1537439191987_1280w.png

This is the same DT as in 4 just updated to RE engine.

This is his ultimate form DT (majin DT or DDT or True/Shun DT):

dmc-5-difsixj.jpg

This is like a cross between majin DT in DMC2 and DMC4 DT but its really based on the ultimate DT that was seen in the concept art book of DMC4.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure everything that they've said about DMC2 in the lead-up to DMC5 has mostly amounted to "no its plot doesn't matter."

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
That's... surprising. I doubt it really makes any difference, but it's strange to go this route when everything just lined up fine enough already.

Dec 14, 2017
Now the biggest gap from 4 to 5 is why Nero has the neon sign and why he 'inherited' the business of Devil May Cry... hope to see why, before it was obviously chalked up to Dante doing the events of 2.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
it makes sense but, they had something going on about dmc 5 coming after 2 anyways. would have been a little nod to dante in the demon world.

At least this will stop the guys repeating 5 is a sequel to 2 there is very little worth remembering about that one

Now the biggest gap from 4 to 5 is why Nero has the neon sign and why he 'inherited' the business of Devil May Cry... hope to see why, before it was obviously chalked up to Dante doing the events of 2.
It's no big deal. The sign is a gift from Dante, that's written in the DMC4 novel. Some sort of support for his buddy to start a branch of the DMC franchise while Dante just continues with his office.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So DMC 5 is now a sequel to DMC 4 instead of DMC 2? I'm okay with this.
In a way it was always :P
Because 5 continues 4 plot like nero's story and the dmc sign that Dante gave him, also while Vergil was not hinted to return in 4 he was directly involved with the characters.
The 2 stuff was just really Dante coming out of hell but in the very first trailer we already know he escapes early in the game and in others he runs the business like any other day.the new threat has nothing to do with Dante apparently

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII?????????

Dec 14, 2017
It's no big deal. The sign is a gift from Dante, that's written in the DMC4 novel. Some sort of support for his buddy to start a branch of the DMC franchise while Dante just continues with his office.
I didn't know Dante explicitly gave Nero the sign, I thought Nero did a soft take-over of the business. Then in the novel, how far after DMC4 does that exchange happen? And when 5 starts, how long has Nero had the van and his own DMC business branch?

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, didn't the DMC 3142 Artbook recently got reprinted in Japan? Why would they reprint it since it specifies how DMC2 takes place after 4.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Where you put 2 barely matters anyway, since it's almost entitely self-contained. It's fairly easy to retcon it into being anywhere in the timeline.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Haha, even UDON's Devil May Cry art book is titled "Devil May Cry 3-1-4-2 Graphic Arts" - this is a pretty wide-ranging retcon! Probably for the best though, honestly, and it actually makes Dante's appearance in DMC 2 relative to DMC 4 make more sense.

May 26, 2018
Where you put 2 barely matters anyway, since it's almost entitely self-contained. It's fairly easy to retcon it into being anywhere in the timeline.

DMC2 took place before 3 and Hell fucked up Dante so much that he was actually reborn as his younger self

The experience also created a twin brother and rewrote the flow of time in the process. Only Dante knows the orignal timeline, in his repressed memories of his past life.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Dante explicitly gave Nero the sign, I thought Nero did a soft take-over of the business. Then in the novel, how far after DMC4 does that exchange happen? And when 5 starts, how long has Nero had the van and his own DMC business branch?
Sorry, now you are expecting too much. They don't go into detail like that. ^^ He gets that sign sometime after 4; 5 takes place "several years" after 4.
Maybe 5 gives more info on that, but I wouldn't expect it.
What I want to know is when they'll address Nero's age and how old Vergil was when he conceived him. IT had to take place before DMC3.
The novel makes Nero 17/18 in DMC4.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

This quote is pretty funny, if said co-worker was 26 when development began. Since I'd imagine that most people who were in their mid-20s 3-4 years ago grew up with 1-3.

What I want to know is when they'll address Nero's age and how old Vergil was when he conceived him. IT had to take place before DMC3.

Nero was conceived a year before DMC3. So since Dante was supposedly in his mid-30s in 4, it adds up.

Dec 14, 2017
Sorry, now you are expecting too much. They don't go into detail like that. ^^ He gets that sign sometime after 4; 5 takes place "several years" after 4.
Maybe 5 gives more info on that, but I wouldn't expect it.

The novel makes Nero 17/18 in DMC4.
Yeah I figured details like that aren't known... or if Capcom even has settled on them. Thanks for the clarifications though.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
This is weird but barely anything happened in DMC2 so I can get behind it if they commit. Oh Capcom dont turn this into Street Fighter lore pls.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
LMAO, OK. Fine, whatever.

DMC2 is garbage and will always be garbage. The writing, gameplay, and art style belong in the dumpster, right next to whoever declined to hire Kamiya to direct the sequel to his masterpiece. If they won't do the right thing and excise it from canon, they might as well tie the lore into a pretzel as long as it somehow serves the conclusion they'll present in DMC5.

Just remake the whole game with a good team on their A-game if it's so important to keep DMC2 as part of the official timeline. Honestly. If you won't wipe up your mess, at least put a nice rug on top.

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Never cared about the story or the characters. Such a weird franchise. I played all four games recently, but for the most part, I couldn't understand the appeal. It peaked with the third one but every title emmited an undeniable stench of outdated-ness. Maybe it's just not for me or I should have checked out DmC instead.