• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of these instances from third parties hurt Nintendo and its fans the most.

• EA releasing Mass Effect Trilogy the same time as Mass Effect 3 for WiiU

Votes: 174 10.7%
  • Ubisoft delays Rayman Legends for simultaneous release.

Votes: 100 6.2%
  • Capcom announces Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 a mere months before Gamecube release.

Votes: 343 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 51 3.1%
  • Final Fantasy jumps to PlayStation

Votes: 957 58.9%

• Total voters

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The effects of the FF jump changed the gaming world forever and still felt to this day.

I'd argue that the effects are no longer as significant once Japanese third parties fell out of favor and western games favored from PC gamers became dominant in the ecosystem. Come 2010 or so Nintendo would have lost relevance anyway unless they hewed towards PC-esque console design sensibilities, which would never be them.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
I voted for FFVII going to the Playstation only because the choice I would consider isn't on the option: Tengen suing Nintendo over the lockout chip. This is because of who Tengen actually was. Tengen was a former atari subsidiary that had been bought by Namco and splintered off into it's own thing. The people running Tengen were considered preferential by Nintendo, when they had been part of Namco, they were one of the launch 3rd party developers and Nintendo could cut them special deals. These deals continued onto Tengen, but Tengen wanted to produce their own carts, so they worked on a way to defeat the 10-NES chip. In the meantime, however, they sued nintendo to stall for time.

This whole deal gets more interesting as the Tetris lawsuit gets rolled into things. It's actually an extremely long but vastly interesting story.
Now THAT'S a big slap to Nintendo. I mean there's a reason why Tengen went that way but man it was the worst way they could do it.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
The Mass Effect thing was completely inconsequential for the Japanese market, and I don't think getting the trilogy on Wii U would have changed much in the Western market either.

FF jumping ship to PlayStation was a HUGE blow that surely helped Sony gain the footing it needed as a newcomer in the console market. I think if FF7 had been an N64 exclusive, the market would've looked very differently today.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
James Mielke (1up.com) - "RE4 for the PS2 is the Definitive Version of one of gaming's greatest titles."
OPM - "RE4 for PS2 kicks the Cube version right in Las Plagas."
And the one I posted earlier

Eurogamer - "Not only has Capcom produced an almost compromise-free conversion (on one disc, too), but thrown in a ton of extra content into the bargain. Somehow, waiting ten months for the definitive version doesn't seem such a bad thing."

Like holy shit they were desperate to hate the Gamecube they all of a sudden became blind and deaf. As if 'being on one disc' for a completely linear game is some kind of massive positive worth mentioning, absolute lol.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
in the end, Nintendo learned to not trust third parties and realized that if they wanna survive, they must create great and unique games and great and unique hardware. when this two things combine, is a lock that they will sell tons of consoles and tons of softwares.

if the third parties arrive, great; if they don't, its their lost.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
in the end, Nintendo learned to not trust third parties and realized that if they wanna survive, they must create great and unique games and great and unique hardware. when this two things combine, is a lock that they will sell tons of consoles and tons of softwares.

Well yeah, as a result of the post SNES fallout and subsequent rolling rounds of third parties going down the route forged by Microsoft and followed by Sony (western 'hardcore' focused PConsoles) Nintendo has now built themselves upt o the point they can 80% support a console entirely on their own. And if that console is appealing (like the DS, Wii and Switch) then they can dominate entire markets alone. Japan is now becoming 'Switch... plus some niche items'. Wii and DS between them were 60-70% of the worldwide market from 2005-2010.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Well yeah, as a result of the post SNES fallout and subsequent rolling rounds of third parties going down the route forged by Microsoft and followed by Sony (western 'hardcore' focused PConsoles) Nintendo has now built themselves upt o the point they can 80% support a console entirely on their own. And if that console is appealing (like the DS, Wii and Switch) then they can dominate entire markets alone. Japan is now becoming 'Switch... plus some niche items'. Wii and DS between them were 60-70% of the worldwide market from 2005-2010.
since Gamecube, Nintendo developed the DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch. Four of this five hardwares were/is an absolute success. One was a major fail. It's no Sony, but it's a pretty solid rate for a company that must reinvent the wheel every 5 years (i hope they can sitck with the hybrid switch like model from now on).

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
unprecemented partisanship
precemunted shipmerpart
unsurpatiated pardoner

unprecedented partnership

Empty promise that produced absolutely zilch.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
If memory serves a lot of the shift from Nintendo after the super Nintendo was because of the iron grip Nintendo lorded over them. So final fantasy was a coup but they kind of did it to themselves.

The biggest third party slap to the face was the terms and conditions of the Sony/Nintendo system that eventually led to PlayStation dominating the console marker.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Nintendo's slaps are self inflicted. The N64 delays caused them to lose a lot of third party support and gave Sony a major foothold. GameCube didn't help their situation much.Wii pretty much proved that didn't need the best third party support to be successful. Wii U showed that even Nintendo didn't understand what made the Wii so popular ( plus they failed to keep the excitement going for the Wii with exciting first party software).

Daryehl

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RIo de Janeiro, Brazil
The Final Fantasy jump to PlayStation. And Nintendo deserved it. Their reluctance to evolve and adapt to new technologies (CD ROM is this case) was the main reason why they lost most third-party support.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
They didn't but honestly their action speak for themselves: Switch is getting a legacy FIFA this year. Best selling console, in its merely third year but a "Legacy" edition. It is obvious that the Sports side of EA still have negative views on Nintendo.

My guess is EA higher ups have no problem with Nintendo but their studios have. We know that DICE and Respawn are not fans of Nintendo and Sports studios pretty much confessed it.

Yeah I remember that drunk "Fuck the Switch" from Respawn before it even released. Titanfall 2 would do wonders on Switch if it released. It's a shame EA isn't trying to make a profit from Switch users. I'd buy the Wii U version of Most Wanted full price

Not sure if it was truly a betrayal, but FF7.

But, then again, Nintendo chose a storage solution that was expensive and stored less data, so hard to say.

I didn't buy Legends when it came out, partially due to spite. I wasn't happy.

As for Capcom, I didn't really care, because the GC versions are generally better anyways. I do remember everyone hating the GameCube at the time, but the Capcom thing didn't even hit my radar.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, consdering how much Nintendo fucked over devs from the Famicom to the Nintendo 64 with their artificial scarcity, high costs per cartridge, the obligation to get inventory from Nintendo, the high take Nintendo would get, the limited number of releases per company and the limited number of copies per game, I honestly think it's a bit tit for tat. Nintendo fucks them, they fuck Nintendo, everyone fucks us.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Bruh, the Capcom Five betrayal is easily the biggest one.

Capcom and Ninty relations haven't been the same since, hell even MH bounced and is now doing gangbusters elsewhere. The MH:W announcement for PS4/XBO/PC had me cackling like a fool after months of insistence that the western-focused MH for the PS4 leak was fake. Even after the announcement you had people claiming it was a spin-off and that the true MH5 would be on the Switch :/
Get your history straight mate.

"The Monster Hunter franchise is a series of fantasy-themed action role-playing video games that started with the game Monster Hunter for PlayStation 2, released in 2004. Titles have been released across a variety of platforms, including personal computer, home console, portable consoles, and mobile devices."

MH started as a PS2 franchise, if anything then Sony got slapped hard when Capcom shifted it from the PSP to the 3DS instead of going for a Vita version.

Capcom in general is always where the money is and it surely wasn't with the horribly performing WiiU, they lost trust in Nintendo and went with the obvious solution by going PS4/One/PC with MH. And if the Switch was powerful enough they would have released RE2 and also MHW for it down the line. The way MHW performs on the consoles(20-35fps) I don't think we will ever see a switch version of it, granted it's only playable on the PC for anyone looking for a smooth experience with a locked frame rate.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3 isn't a slap, it's a thinly veiled mockery to Wii U. FF7 was a huge thing, it basically jumped start PS1's momentum
Get your history straight mate.

"The Monster Hunter franchise is a series of fantasy-themed action role-playing video games that started with the game Monster Hunter for PlayStation 2, released in 2004. Titles have been released across a variety of platforms, including personal computer, home console, portable consoles, and mobile devices."

MH started as a PS2 franchise, if anything then Sony got slapped hard when Capcom shifted it from the PSP to the 3DS instead of going for a Vita version.

Capcom in general is always where the money is and it surely wasn't with the horribly performing WiiU, they lost trust in Nintendo and went with the obvious solution by going PS4/One/PC with MH. And if the Switch was powerful enough they would have released RE2 and also MHW for it down the line. The way MHW performs on the consoles(20-35fps) I don't think we will ever see a switch version of it, granted it's only playable on the PC for anyone looking for a smooth experience with a locked frame rate.
I mean Switch can run RE7 so it can definitely run both RE2Make and MHW
via streaming, without it, it will probably run at single fps given how week Switch is

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Capcom in general is always where the money is and it surely wasn't with the horribly performing WiiU, they lost trust in Nintendo and went with the obvious solution by going PS4/One/PC with MH.
That was not an 'obvious solution' for a series that had consistently sold mediocre on consoles and fantastic on portables, and had always sold great in Japan and mediocre in the west (partly because of no or very late releases in the west).

They took a risk, and it paid off big time. But it was a risk, it was not 'obvious'.

Vita did also absolutely deserve the series due to PSP being the console that made it huge, that was definitely a slap due no doubt to a Nintendo money hat. A quite rare slap against Sony.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand how this isn't an option in the poll. It is THE 3rd party betrayal. How does your mind not immediately go to that after reading the thread title?

Yeah this and the totality of that situation (created directly by partnering with Sony to create Nintendo PlayStation and then dumping them, leading to Sony entering the race with a monster success) is the correct answer.

Nintendo from NES/Famicom heights all the way to 1994 was virtually unstoppable. Sega was a solid challenge, but Sony outright took everyone's lunch money basically from 1995 through 2006.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Is it really a slap when the game would have been impossible to put on the system Nintendo designed?
Nintendo's perfect, see, it's obviously all one-sided. Nothing they did in this era--like high cart and licensing costs--could've possibly soured relations, it was all Square and other third parties being petty for absolutely no reason.

(PS I've no idea if it was impossible or just a bit of marketing, but jesus, people around here act like all these companies betray others for no reason)

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
There are some exceptions for each system, but Nintendo's third party support from larger publishers has been a mostly unbroken stream of slaps ever since the Wii. The worst part is that it sort of feels like the situation isn't really getting much better, it's just slowly changing and shifting around.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The whole Rayman Legends multiplatform port/delay fiasco was absolutely wretched, especially with the game being finished at that point. There was no reason to just release it on Wii U and let the multiplat ports come later. I won't be surprised if Legends was planned a stepping stone / springboard to get Rayman in Smash 4 as a guest fighter until that debacle happened.

Anyway, for me, the entire project cars wii u version was ugly. Really misleading all the fans that actually backed the project.

I agree with this. That whole era of crowdfunded games floating forward support for (if not outright adding stretch goals for) a Wii U release during funding periods, only to renege on it once they got people's money; never really sat right with me. The way a fair amount of people online blew off complaints about it because of "technical truths/exact words" and "lol Wii U sales" was even worse.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Man, you went way back. The snark and obnoxiousness from series veterans in Monster Hunter World threads was hilarious.

I wouldn't actually consider it a "Slap", but they certainly did.

The change from Vita to DS for MH was much more of the things you said.

The change of platform for MHW shocked the MH Veterans, because they wanted MH on a handheld, not a stationary console.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
And the one I posted earlier

Eurogamer - "Not only has Capcom produced an almost compromise-free conversion (on one disc, too), but thrown in a ton of extra content into the bargain. Somehow, waiting ten months for the definitive version doesn't seem such a bad thing."

Like holy shit they were desperate to hate the Gamecube they all of a sudden became blind and deaf. As if 'being on one disc' for a completely linear game is some kind of massive positive worth mentioning, absolute lol.

I've brought this up many times, and I'll I've gotten (on other forums and this one) is that I'm "over sensitive to criticism towards Nintendo".

Gee, thanks guys.

Oct 27, 2017
Square going for Sony. Not only did it help cement Sony as a serious contender that changed gaming forever, the waves it caused for third party devs leaving Nintendo are still slapping Nintendo's ass 20+ years later.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is funny that by ignoring Nintendo japanese 3rd parties basically doomed themselves in their home country so in the end they kinda slapped themselves.
Western third parties don't have this problem tho

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
How have I not seen this posted.

FF7_magAd_Cannon.jpg

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
None of those, in my opinion, were a slap to the face of Nintendo.

EA releasing Mass Effect Trilogy the same time as Mass Effect 3 for WiiU – These games were (mostly) already available for the other two competing consoles. Mass Effect 3 was a major launch on multiple platforms and they opted to maximize that. Nothing wrong with that decision.

Ubisoft delays Rayman Legends for simultaneous release - Nintendo didn't own the IP or spend any money on development so the game was never theirs to begin with. Exclusivity for this game in particular never made sense given how relatively niche it was. It deserved a broader release and that is what it received.(I also don't occupy the alternate reality where this game was going to be a big seller in any way, delay or not)

Capcom announces Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 a mere months before Gamecube release - The GC version still enjoyed a nearly full year window of exclusivity and remained the superior version until the next generation. Again, not a slight but rather a fair and reasonable business decision given the GC's position within the market.

Final Fantasy jumps to PlayStation - This was Nintendo's fault entirely. The decision to utilize cartridges made porting the FF games logistically impossible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They still need third-party support, though. It's impossible to survive on their own in the gaming biz, otherwise Wii U would be still alive and Switch would never existed in the first place. Although DS, 3DS and Wii third-party support were severely crippled, saying Nintendo carried them all alone isn't actually accurate. Sure, their games were by far the top sellers, but third-party support was there, especially from japanese companies. Without third-party support, whatever platform will face major droughts in their schedule and might hit the confidence from it's userbase. This happened often on Nintendo platforms, especially in it's mid to late life when their systems were plagued with droughts, third-partes were mostly gone and even Nintendo left it behind to focus on a new console/handheld.

Switch's support is far from being perfect but so far it managed to break many stigmas built around Nintendo for years.