• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrooveCommand

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if there's a Maher scandal on the horizon - he's been siding with Franken since the start of that whole fiasco. I think the reality is that Bill Maher is just an oblivious old fart who is actually far less thoughtful and open-minded than they paint themselves out to be. Get with the times already Bill.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Maher

4QFTg5a.gif
This is an amazing gif

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if there's a Maher scandal on the horizon - he's been siding with Franken since the start of that whole fiasco. I think the reality is that Bill Maher is just an oblivious old fart who is actually far less thoughtful and open-minded than they paint themselves out to be. Get with the times already Bill.
~~~Progressive~~~ men can be and often are sexist.

Just look at Al Franken.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Franken's not in jail. He can run for office, or set up a new group of his own, whenever he wants.

I don't think what Franken did is irredeemably unforgivable. Certainly at least some of his accusers hold that view. But I also don't think that if you want to make a passionate plea to forgive Franken (not even a year out from his resignation, mind) your starting argument shouldn't be, women are liars.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Al Franken touched women in an inappropriate manner. He didn't rape them, but he still made multiple people feel awkward and uncomfortable for no good reason. He doesn't deserve to hold a spot in politics. If he wants to help the cause, and I do believe that he does, then he can do so as a citizen. But his time representing constituents has come and gone and it's his own fault.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I won't criticize Maher because I like his show and watch it faithfully every Friday but he said the same thing about Anthony Weiner last year or the year before.

I won't say that Franken deserves to be chastised forever but I remember Air America and the colossal failure it was. I just don't believe he's fiery enough to take on the Trump machine.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I won't criticize Maher because I like his show and watch it faithfully every Friday but he said the same thing about Anthony Weiner last year or the year before.

I won't say that Franken deserves to be chastised forever but I remember Air America and the colossal failure it was. I just don't believe he's fiery enough to take on the Trump machine.
Weiner?
the guy literally responsible for bringing Trump to the White house?
that Anthony Weiner?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If your best defense for someone is ''at least he didn't kill them'' I think is in your best interest to shut the fuck up.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Even if he was "fiery" enough, he wouldn't be some absolutely necessary part of the future of progressive politics in America.

Dude fucked up and missed his shot, sometimes people miss their shot and reach the apex of their careers early because of their own fuckups. He can still help progressive causes but he doesn't deserve a second chance at anyone's support.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
"Are Democrats really going to permanently send away one of our ablest warriors for being a waist grabber?" Maher asked. "He didn't drive her off a bridge and leave her drown. Can we get some perspective? Does every infraction, no matter how small, have to be rehashed for an entire lifetime? That's not politics, that's marriage."
Spoken like a true enabler.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
I really don't understand the appeal of Maher. Literally every time I hear about him, it's because he's said some new completely indefensible shit, but for some reason he's still considered a liberal icon.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how these threads are always 4-5 days after the fact.

Anyway, Maher gets shit wrong a lot of the time. I'm still disappointed in Franken and wouldn't support him in an election, but if he wanted to take a backseat role as an anti-Trump provocateur, well, more power to him.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I saw this, and the woman on the panel even interrupted his monologue to correct him and he basically told her to shut up. Fuck Bill Maher.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
With all the racist shit Maher says I will be pissed if this thread is longer than other Maher threads. When it comes to racism and misogyny this is not even close to as bad as he can be. That's the reason i stopped watching him about 3 years ago...

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Maher is king of the brogressives

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine championing "boys will be boys" in 2018
It's ridiculous how they use that line in this context.. It used to mean boys doing stupid things without thinking it through. Example: boys wanting to jump of a staircase just to see if they can do it. Not to abuse/harass woman or girls.

They way they have been using this line nobody should ever use it again. It's indeed 2018 and we know how some people use it and what they mean by it, its freaking disgusting.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Naw Bill

We have plenty of new faces that are much more deserving at a chance to swing the bat thanks

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Does Al have any post secondary education on economics, politics, law, or has he held any government job for a period of more than a decade to justify why so many want him back???

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous how they use that line in this context.. It used to mean boys doing stupid things without thinking it through. Example: boys wanting to jump of a staircase just to see if they can do it. Not to abuse/harass woman or girls.

They way they have been using this line nobody should ever use it again. It's indeed 2018 and we know how some people use it and what they mean by it, its freaking disgusting.

Well, that's kind of the point; it's reframing the behaviour as just innocent childish stupidity. Reframing the situation like that is pretty standard tactic when people know they're defending some horrible behaviour and that they can't justify it if they present it straightforwardly.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Ask yourself:

Why does the phrase "girls will be girls" essentially not exist?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I usually agree with Bill but this was one of the few New Rules segment where I just couldn't get behind him, and you could tell the audience didn't either.

I usually really enjoy his "new rules" segment but this one was shit.

The rest of his program is generally boring and skippable, and half the guests suck. Sometimes the initial interview isn't total garbage. That's as kind as I can be.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually agree with Maher's New Rule segments....but this one was just too ridiculous.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Joe Biden is the handsiest dude in contemporary U.S. politics who hasn't yet had a me too accusation.
I'm not saying he's committed sexual harassment or assault, but some of those videos/images/gifs out there are at minimum a clear intrusion of personal space.

And you shouldn't be immune from criticism or scrutiny because someone hasn't stepped forward with accusations.

Regardless, he's not right about defending Biden and comparing him to a fucking dog who wants food.