• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So what I'm getting from responses is that Black Adam is as much of a "superhero" as Dr. Doom is a "superhero"? As in, they both do some evil and dark shit, but can do some good occasionally if its for their own benefit.

Wonder if they'll keep that intact or just make him your standard good guy.
Adam tends to, unless he has a specific objective, fall on the darker side of good guy more than on the side of villainy. He just has no qualms or hesitation crossing that line when he deems it the correct course of action. More Namor than Doom.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Rock thinks Adams a happy go lucky hero, surely DC and the film crew will steer him in the right direction?
And all of a sudden Black Adam takes over as leader of the Justice League and becomes the face of DC.
Lmao.
Wait what? MBS, The Rock?
Since 2017 the topic of The Rock running for president has come up from time to time. He himself says he wouldn't rule out a run. In 2018 he met with MBS, Bob Iger, Morgan Freeman, and I forget who else, for a private dinner at Rupert Murdoch's house.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
How would they tie this in with Shazam? This can't be a comedy so it'd clash with Shazam's intensions

Black Adam is a major villain of Shazam. It would be miss to not have some sort of mention.

Doubly so if they're going with a "reformed supervillain" angle as it sounds from the tweet.

Would be very odd to just present Black Adam as a hero with no mention of any of his past.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah Black Adam is like Red Hood. They both reject the traditional superhero morality in favor of their own personal code of ethics. Adam is interesting in that he's a man out of time. In his own time he was a straight up hero/savior, he killed all the pharaohs and freed the slaves. But he can't adjust to the modern day morals. Of course most of the DCEU Heroes don't even have those morals either lol.
Adam tends to, unless he has a specific objective, fall on the darker side of good guy more than on the side of villainy. He just has no qualms or hesitation crossing that line when he deems it the correct course of action. More Namor than Doom.
Thanks for the heads up.

Given the DCEU's direction, he should be a good fit, unless they try to make it straight up goofy fun like Shazam.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Adam is a major villain of Shazam. It would be miss to not have some sort of mention.

Doubly so if they're going with a "reformed supervillain" angle as it sounds from the tweet.

Would be very odd to just present Black Adam as a hero with no mention of any of his past.
that's what I mean. the styling of the Shazam movie doesn't make for an accurate portrayal of Black Adam with BA as a star/co-star. I guess they could make a third movie that combines the two styles in a way. but when Shazam and BA meet, they'll have to fight as enemies.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017

Shazam referenced what black adam did, tho I guess it doesn't really give a time frame. Just "distance past." So lots of leway on when the movie could take place.

It's from the wizards perspective but I'm assuming black adam either killed or was directly responsible for killing the other councilor wizards. As well as lots and lots of other people in pursuit of some kind of revenge.

Fairly vauge since it backstory for a modern set movie, but still a good starting point to what happened then

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Is him killing people the only reason people are hesitant to refer to him as a superhero?

It's funny, MCU characters don't get the same scrutiny, when most of them are all about that body count.

My limited knowledge of Black Adam definitely makes me think he's often an anti-hero, which doesnt change the fact that he's a superhero.

He's a villain. Doctor Octopus played hero as Spider-Man for a while. Doctor Doom dressed up like Iron Man. Lex Luthor was in the Justice League. None of this changes what they fundamentally are.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
So is this going to still be a secret JSA movie like previously rumored?
No one really knows, but yeah that rumor has gone around a bit. Given that this can really take place anytime in the past, characters that can live longer or whose civilizations have been around awhile could show up.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised at a lantern Cameo.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...I don't think he knows Black Adam..like at all...nor does the rest of DCEU apparently. Wth
I'm pretty sure it's just promo from accounts wb owns. Not a "black Adam is definitely joining the justice league and endorse this new hero for kids" kinda thing. I'm guessing the movie is gonna start with the audience being fully on his side, and slowly pealing them back with his actions.

Like going to see thor and expecting a hero but then he kills millions of people at the end.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Surprised nobody ever thought of casting an actor from Egypt or something but I guess Rock has been fan casted for a long ass time. Didn't really like Shazam so curious to see how different Black Adam will be to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see that Rock's initial official statement on this totally misses the point of the character. What could go wrong?
Characters can be reworked and allowed to shine in new ways. They may even make him make more sense than he usually does.
I hope they keep it separate from Shazam and just do their own thing. Let's explore Black Adam without that geek.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine a rock runs for president and wins this what what happened at the inauguration:

Rock: so Trump oh, you want me to go ahead and pardon all of your crimes while in office?

Trump: well yea I would like to....

Rock: IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU WANT!!!

(Rock slams Trump on ground and people elbows him...Trump is unconscious)

Rock: Take this Jabroni out of my face and throw his ass in jail!! (Police drags him out along with many of his staff)