• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
sensible-chuckle.gif
Finally a gaming studio for the working classes.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Read above, in short they get job security and become cogs without design input since the design/system work is already done, mate.
We still don't know their actual role in this. They've been with Blizzard since last month if I'm not mistaken

As their CEO said, their work is going to be included in Dragonflight. Surely Blizzard isn't going to add random things to the expansion

Lets also not forget post-release patches and new content

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I got the complete opposite, that everything related to design and systems is already done and they'll be just tech support. Which is much worse for a studio, if you ask me.
maybe for the short term, but a large patch/mini expansion during Dragonflight may take up new ideas they can contribute to meaningfully rather than "just tech support". Or the expansion after.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
All of these devs working on WoW, only for the game to probably still go 6 months without content

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
All of these devs working on WoW, only for the game to probably still go 6 months without content
The sad truth. What they turned the game into really pissed me off

I grew up on this and played it for 14 god damn years. I really hope they can bounce back but they need lots of convincing to bring me back

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Sad to see the studio being absorbed by Blizzard's MMORPG.
Spellbreak was really interesting and maybe could had succeed with a different type of game.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's obvious that person means Microsoft.

I think what people mean is that this studio is being absorbed by Blizzard. It's not going to be another studio. It's part of Blizzard now. Like Vicarious Visions. It's part of Blizzard and working on Diablo 4. I highly doubt that when Microsoft's acquisition goes through they will separate Blizzard Albany to reform Vicarious Visions to work on their own games again. It's just a part of Blizzard now, helping and working on Blizzard's games.

When Sony bought Firesprite, Firesprite bought a smaller developer. But that wasn't another studio for Sony. That was just more developers for Firesprite.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Shame Spellbreak would have been fine if it didnt launch as an EGS exclusive. Now they had to be aquired.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That's a pretty good deal, a lot of these start up studio's don't make it and Blizzard is about as secure as you can get.
I understand people getting upset about VV if they really wanted THPS HD 3/4 but in this case it's a big win.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I think what people mean is that this studio is being absorbed by Blizzard. It's not going to be another studio. It's part of Blizzard now. Like Vicarious Visions. It's part of Blizzard and working on Diablo 4. I highly doubt that when Microsoft's acquisition goes through they will separate Blizzard Albany to reform Vicarious Visions to work on their own games again. It's just a part of Blizzard now, helping and working on Blizzard's games.

When Sony bought Firesprite, Firesprite bought a smaller developer. But that wasn't another studio for Sony. That was just more developers for Firesprite.

I mean, that's all just semantics. It's obvious that poster just meant that is another studio that will now be part of Microsoft in some way, even if they will no longer be their own studio and absorbed into another that will be part of Microsoft. I have no idea what these responses are supposed to be or convey. Is this like some kind anti-fanboyism response or something? That post didn't come off as fanboyism to me, but I don't know

Feb 24, 2018
Devastated for the devs. I don't know what financial situation Proletariat was in, but going from working on your own IP to becoming a support dev on WoW will be one hell of a pill to swallow. There is also the idea that they are coming to help on Dragonflight, which is slated for release this year. This means the production is in full swing, and it's the last straight towards the release. So they are coming in at a time where everything is extremely critical, on a project they haven't worked on.

Really wishing the best for all the devs there, no matter what they end up choosing to do. Not a great position they are being put in.
I'm worried for them given Blizzard and Activision Blizzard long history of worker abuse and mistreatment and the latter's history of mass layoffs of support groups regardless of record sales. Given that their still denying their wrong doing despite monsters of evidence now, I hope they can do a Raven Software and unionize.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I see this as they can't get people to work for them and talent has been leaving in mass, so the easiest way to get talented people is just buy a small studio. They aren't going to work on anything other than WoW so clearly they didn't get bought out for their BR experience or unique design... they want bodies.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
"Why do they keep putting more devs on the game when it doesn't even have any content?" Gee, I wonder why.

If I had a nickel for every time the words "The WoW team is bigger than its ever been!" had been uttered, which started happening in between MoP and WoD, I'd be able to acquire Proletariat myself.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Mixed thoughts on this - I know people at Proletariat, and they're all very smart and talented. Many are ex-Turbine employees and have experience on MMOs like LOTRO/DDO, so I expect they'll be able to knock WoW content out of the park.

It's a little sad because I know they put their heart and soul into Spellbreak, and it sucks that it wasn't successful enough for them to be the captains of their own ship. I hope they're getting some nice compensation out of the deal.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
This might help explain why Blizzard may somehow be able to push out Dragonflight this year. And that is a hilariously ironic name for a dev studio considering this situation.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Remember liking a lot about Spellbreak, but it just not being a good BR, due to the match pacing, you'd just be chasing the zone never really seeing anyone until the end zone, which would be a blast, but a couple minutes of fun in a 15-20 minute match. Did mean to give it another try one day, but completely forgot. Is a shame they'll be gobbled up into Blizzard, but better than going under.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
This might help explain why Blizzard may somehow be able to push out Dragonflight this year. And that is a hilariously ironic name for a dev studio considering this situation.

This is much less about launch and more about continued long term support. Which is why I don't understand folks calling them a support studio. They're being brought in as developers to add to the team.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
A shame they're being absorbed instead of integrated and are being relegated to working on WoW of all things. Still at least they all have job security now and hopefully it came with a salary or QOL increase of some kind. Still think Spellbreak had potential if it only stepped out of the saturated BR genre

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Another dev swallowed up and turned into a content factory for ActiBlizz. Wack as hell.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it stays at 100 fte or if people end up leaving. I can't imagine ever working for Actiblizz when they've done nothing about their issues.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Has the turn over at Blizzard been so high that they needed to just buy up another studio to staff up??
Partially this, partially the desire for content in live service games is ever growing, and with quality bars going up the manpower required to put out said content is rising rapidly as well. More efficient to buy up a studio with 100 devs in one go than have to go through 100 hiring processes to staff up organically.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
My condolences. It doesn't sound fun going from working on your own original IP to being tossed into the WoW expansion grinder. I genuinely hope the work experience at Blizzard has improved, but I also don't have any confidence in it while Bobby is still in charge.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
After they announced that Spellbreak was shutting down, I was sad for the devs because that means layoffs. This acquisition probably was their best choice to keep the jobs. So I'm glad they still have work. Hope they are safe and happy.

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that would explain why Spellbreak is getting shuttered, company had already been allocated to the WoW mines. Better than the CoD coal-face, but not by much.