• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ just don't suspend them, how hard is that? Fuck this company

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard said:

smells-like-bullshitxyjwu.jpg

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard's a joke. Remind me again why the caster is suspended when he did his due diligence to avoid the issue politely? Betcha he gets blacklisted too

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I would have hoped for a complete reversal of all suspensions. But they really couldn't let the casters go? Like, what the hell were they supposed to do? They were put in a really difficult position and just acted in the moment. No freaking way they had direction or training on what to do in that event. Why the fuck are they being punished?

Oct 25, 2017
Is it tho? It doesn't even have that appearance to me. There isn't any sort of contrition or acknowledgement of serious fault. In fact it begins by justifying their position and why they feel they were actually right all along, but were simply too hasty in the actual punishments. It's nonsense and doesn't answer any of the actual concerns people have about the incident.

Agreed; I was putting it much too charitably. But you know what I mean. This is a statement for the sake of saying "Look, we made a statement."

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like we need more Blizzard characters wearing Pro HK gear. Hoping people don't let up on them cause of this weak ass statement.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I still don't get what the casters did wrong. They can't control what some one shouts out.
They encouraged the guy to "say the words" and said it would be okay if they ducked their heads under the table while he did it to avoid responsibility. They were good Taiwanese brothers supporting their oppressed brethren in Hong Kong. They knew exactly what they were doing. It's not wrong. But I think the narrative that they did nothing and were totally out of the loop and blindsided by this does them an injustice. They are supporters. Blizzard doesn't like supporters that oppose the Chinese government.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Still think the whole thing is bullshit but I'm glad he's getting the money he was owed. The kneejerk reaction to OH NO WHAT WILL CHINA THINK?! on Blizzard's part is pathetic.

Alpha60

Nov 15, 2017
lmao are you fucking serious man? Do I have to deal with these trash pro-china takes in my threads AGAIN?
I'm sorry, I have been lurking for a long time and am not aware of the history of the debates here.

I'm not pro-China. I'm from the Philippines, and I definitely have quite a laundry list of grievances with the country.

But I just want ppl to consider that perhaps the framing of "HK = democracy = good" and "China = authoritarian = bad" is insufficiently capturing the conflict, and it's also playing into US imperial interests. Seems like it's not a popular stance here, so I'll be quiet.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. It's not that clear cut, and you'll know that if you talk to anyone from China or even Hong Kong. The historical tensions here are way simplified by pretty much all of Western media.

HK protests, from the perspective of mainland Chinese folks, would be like if the Civil War happened only 70 years ago, and then Delaware decided they wanted to break free of American tyranny, while waving Russian flags in the process.

It's not like trans rights, or Nazis, or anything with a clear right and wrong. Please speak with folks from China about this if you disagree.
Just his 50 cent.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
J Allen Brack leading Blizzard is the worst thing that has happened in this companies history.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even imagine being a Blizzard staffer and reading this nonsense at the same time we all are.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Look at the exact time they put this out.

After 8 PM on a Friday, a famous tactic to try and bury issues when faced with backlash or bad news during a week.

I saw people earlier claiming they would do this as a laugh, only Bliz actually did.
Blizzard resides on the West coast so it is shortly after 5pm there. They posted after normal business hours. Considering the earlier reaction from their employees I know from my own experiences in work a manager doesn't want to deal with dirty looks on a massive scale.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that they're afraid of the Chinese government or businesses they work with. More likely, they simply realize that this is an incredibly offensive and controversial issue for their millions of ordinary Chinese fans.

I'd be up for believing this if Blizzard's only reaction was to go scorched earth on the VODs from that day. That's a kneejerk reaction that can be argued to be attributed to fear of reprisal from Chinese fans.

But then they went nuclear on blitzchung and even the casters about a full day later. There's no way I believe that's due to appeasing the Chinese playerbase. The only logical explanation is an intense and sudden amount of top-down pressure, and Blizzard caving to it.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Am I correct in that the shoutcasters were banned for 6 months because they happened to be the people hired for this event and we're just standing there when blitzchung said what he said? Or did they join in on it? If they just happened to be the guys there, in what world is it far for them to be punished?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not like trans rights, or Nazis, or anything with a clear right and wrong. Please speak with folks from China about this if you disagree.
Please feel comfortable on my ignorelist. I'm not into postcount shaming but 5 posts since 2017 and you're coming into this thread like this? Naaaah miss me with that.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this had been the original punishment, I would still be as angry as I am now. No forgiveness for Blizzard ever on this.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
This is an insultingly non-apologetic, very transparent, typical PR damage control response. Do they really think their audience is stupid enough to buy this bullshit?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We're sorry we got caught."

No apologies, no statement on Hong Kong, player is still banned but now has moolah and they hope that people will STFU after such a weak, pathetic showing.

Fuck off Activision-Blizzard.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Also, the 175$ mei statues has dissapeared, compare:
gear.blizzard.com/us/overwatch-mei-statue
to
web.archive.org/web/20190901191014/https://gear.blizzard.com/us/overwatch-mei-statue

Alpha60

Nov 15, 2017
I'd be up for believing this if Blizzard's only reaction was to go scorched earth on the VODs from that day. That's a kneejerk reaction that can be argued to be attributed to fear of reprisal from Chinese fans.

But then they went nuclear on blitzchung and even the casters about a full day later. There's no way I believe that's due to appeasing the Chinese playerbase. The only logical explanation is an intense and sudden amount of top-down pressure, and Blizzard caving to it.
That's reasonable yeah. Given how much bullshit the rest of the post was then I guess it's easy to believe the line about China not influencing them is equally bullshit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I just want ppl to consider that perhaps the framing of "HK = democracy = good" and "China = authoritarian = bad" is insufficiently capturing the conflict, and it's also playing into US imperial interests. Seems like it's not a popular stance here, so I'll be quiet.

China's government is bad, and is threatening Hong Kong democracy (THE DEMOCRACY PART BEING GOOD).

It isn't that hard.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I have been lurking for a long time and am not aware of the history of the debates here.

I'm not pro-China. I'm from the Philippines, and I definitely have quite a laundry list of grievances with the country.

just fucking stop! you're digging your hole even deeper

Oct 31, 2017
What a load of horse shit. "We value your voice. It's all about inclusion." Unless you're trying to raise awareness for people that are being beaten in the streets and murdered by an oppressive regime's corrupt police force, I guess. Fuck off, Blizzard.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the biggest gaming company PR response blunder of the year? Wasn't last year EA's "Pride and accomplishment" response?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In politics sometimes the government with this controversial statements on friday's night/evening with the hope that people will forget it by the next week

It truly feels than this was Blizzard intention

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of when Blizzard censored Hearthstone artwork to make the artists "feel better" and it supposedly had nothing at all to do with China.