• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
www.bloomberg.com

Microsoft Studio Behind Halo Faces a Reboot on Years of Turmoil

The title has suffered multiple delays, development setbacks and staff changes

Key points from jschreier

• Atleast 95 employees laid off (FTE and contractor)
  • Tatanka will be in Unreal Engine and may not be (just?) a battle royale
  • No new story content for Infinite. New ideas were pitched for new Halo games in Unreal Engine but those folks were also impacted by layoffs
Since Halo Infinite was released, fans had assumed that in addition to new multiplayer modes, 343 was working on new content for the story. But that wasn't the case, according to the people familiar with the situation. Developers were making prototypes in the Unreal Engine and pitching ideas for new Halo games rather than working on new missions for Halo Infinite. Many of those developers were laid off this month and the company isn't actively working on new story content, the people said. A Microsoft spokesman declined to comment.

In the eyes of some observers and former 343 employees, the reorganization was a long time coming. The studio, which was founded in 2007 to inherit Halo after Microsoft parted ways with original developer Bungie, has struggled through many challenges, including the release of several polarizing games. Patrick Wren, a former 343 designer, said on Twitter that the job cuts and the state of the Halofranchise overall are the result of "incompetent leadership up top" during Halo Infinite's development that led to "massive stress on those working hard to make Halo the best it can be."

A lot more in the article well worth reading as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Woof. Poor Halo. I wonder if changing engines is going to be able to preserve the Halo gameplay "feel" or if it's going to lead to Halo morphing into something more "modern standard".

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully everyone who lost their jobs lands on their feet, but in terms of the Halo franchise moving forward, a reset of the developers, leadership, and strategy is absolutely the right move. I'm sure 343 had plenty of talented people over the years, but the actual work they produced over the last decade has been nothing short of catastrophic for the franchise.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling; Platform Warring Derail; History of the Same
I guess we know the answer to this thread now if they were forced to switch engine. Had been rumoured for quite a few months to be fair.

www.resetera.com

Is Slipspace the best game engine out?

Scales over 2 generations and is probably the most impressive 120fps game on console. But what takes it beyond any other engine is forge, oh my.... How can this not be the best engine, isn't this the epitome of engine flexing?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Woah. Did not think that particular rumor was true.
IIRC there was an article floating around a few months back about how most studios are killing off their internal engines in favor of off-the-shelf engines because it's much easier to hire new people who already know something like UE5, then it is to have them have months of training on proprietary tech.

If they intend to make Halo Infinite a GAAS, they need people to make content for it quickly and on time, and shifting to an industry known engine would help

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Oh c'mon. They're going to try so hard to be "different" that it won't take off.
This switch will start with a new game code-named Tatanka, according to people familiar with the plans. That project, which 343 is developing alongside the Austin, Texas-based game studio Certain Affinity, started off as a battle royale but may evolve in different directions, the people said.

Dec 2, 2017
Since OP didn't include any of the article

Microsoft Corp. says it's going to keep making new games in the popular Halo franchise at its prized 343 Industries studio — despite rumors to the contrary. But after a leadership overhaul, mass layoffs and a host of big changes, the outfit is all but starting from scratch.

The Redmond, Washington-based 343 Industries released its latest game, Halo Infinite, in December 2021 to widespread critical acclaim. It was seen as a redemption story for a title that suffered multiple delays, endless development problems and a merry-go-round of creative leads. But in the months that followed, fans turned against the game, complaining about a thin road map and the slow rollout of features that had been expected on day one. At the same time, 343 was seemingly losing staff by the week and went through a major leadership change last fall that led some employees to brace for a reorganization.

The ax fell in mid-January when Microsoft announced mass layoffs and 343 Industries was hit hard. While Microsoft declined to provide specific figures, at least 95 people at the company have lost their jobs, according to a spreadsheet of affected employees reviewed by Bloomberg. The list named dozens of veterans including top directors and contractors, upon which the studio heavily relies. Those temporary employees were given just a few days' warning before their contracts came to an end, according to people familiar with the process, asking not to be identified because they weren't authorized to speak publicly.

The cuts led to rumors that 343 would farm out development of the Halo series to other game companies. Matt Booty, head of Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios, said in an interview that "343 will continue as the internal developer for Halo and as the home of Halo." Internally, Booty has assured 343 staff that even as they work with outside partners and outsourcing houses, they will remain in charge. Questions remain, however, about the fate of the Halofranchise as the studio is hollowed out and makes big changes to how it develops games.

Chief among them is a pivot to a new gaming engine, the suite of tools and technology used to make video games. The studio's own engine, known publicly as Slipspace, has been one of the biggest points of contention over the past two decades. Based largely on old code from the 1990s and early 2000s, it's buggy and difficult to use and has been the source of headaches for some developers on Halo Infinite, people familiar with the development said. Several multiplayer modes that are nearly finished, such as Extraction and Assault, both popular in previous Halo games, have yet to be released in part because of issues involving the engine, they said.

At several points over the past decade, management at 343 debated switching to Epic Games Inc.'s popular Unreal Engine. But it wasn't until late last year, when previous studio head Bonnie Ross and engine lead David Berger departed and Pierre Hintze took over, that the firm finally decided to pivot to Unreal. This switch will start with a new game code-named Tatanka, according to people familiar with the plans. That project, which 343 is developing alongside the Austin, Texas-based game studio Certain Affinity, started off as a battle royale but may evolve in different directions, the people said. Future games in the series will also explore using the Unreal Engine, which may make development easier, although internal skeptics are worried that the switch may have a negative impact on the way Halo games feel to play. A Microsoft spokesman declined to comment on issues with the engine or on the company's plans to pivot to Unreal.

Since Halo Infinite was released, fans had assumed that in addition to new multiplayer modes, 343 was working on new content for the story. But that wasn't the case, according to the people familiar with the situation. Developers were making prototypes in the Unreal Engine and pitching ideas for new Halo games rather than working on new missions for Halo Infinite. Many of those developers were laid off this month and the company isn't actively working on new story content, the people said. A Microsoft spokesman declined to comment.

In the eyes of some observers and former 343 employees, the reorganization was a long time coming. The studio, which was founded in 2007 to inherit Halo after Microsoft parted ways with original developer Bungie, has struggled through many challenges, including the release of several polarizing games. Patrick Wren, a former 343 designer, said on Twitter that the job cuts and the state of the Halofranchise overall are the result of "incompetent leadership up top" during Halo Infinite's development that led to "massive stress on those working hard to make Halo the best it can be."

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC there was an article floating around a few months back about how most studios are killing off their internal engines in favor of off-the-shelf engines because it's much easier to hire new people who already know something like UE5, then it is to have them have months of training on proprietary tech.

If they intend to make Halo Infinite a GAAS, they need people to make content for it quickly and on time, and shifting to an industry known engine would help
Yeah, it makes sense. It's just that they spent so much time trying to make this thing work. It's almost unbelievable that they gotta start all over again. Just...a shit show.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Well its not like they couldn't tweak aspects of Unreal to suit their needs. But hopefully this just lets them spend more time on building and designing stuff and get it out of the door more painlessly since epic will be mainly in the drivers seat for the engine stuff.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Another one joining the UE bandwagon, sad.

I guess they couldn't use ID Tech :/

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
UE5 Halo will be pretty at least. Sad to hear about SP but I only really jived with ODST, Reach, and 4's (story) campaigns.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy. I hope the team at 343 are all doing okay, and can figure this franchise out. Now going on over a decade and three separate entries, they've yet to really crack Halo in a way that Bungie was able to make look so easy.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Woof. Poor Halo. I wonder if changing engines is going to be able to preserve the Halo gameplay "feel" or if it's going to lead to Halo morphing into something more "modern standard".

Unreal seems like a pretty flexible engine and ultimately it's up to the development team to take the base engine and mold it suit their specific needs. The fundamental problem with Slipspace it seems was that very few people within the company actually knew how to use. Many of those who built the engine were contractors so their expertise wasn't around to build upon it and teach it to other employees.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. I'm devastated as a Halo fan. I really loved Infinite and was super excited for the potential of more story in that map, and expansions of it. What an absolute waste.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I don't have any affinity for Halo but to think the IP that made MS a player in the Gaming Space was gonna be this squandered is just sad

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with this if it's sets Halo up for a bright future that's easier for the devs to work with down the road.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Hard not to see the switch to UE as bad news as a long time Halo fan. I'm not convinced they can recapture the same feeling that all Halo games inherently share. But I'm armchair quarterbacking.

Dec 2, 2020
So that original Halo engine demo with the crazy terrain detail and ridiculous number of wildlife on screen all at 4k/60fps was fake???? Wow I'm shocked to my core!!

Hopefully the people let go land on their feet and the change to Unreal makes creating games quicker for the team in future.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed this part. What in the holy hell...

"Since Halo Infinite was released, fans had assumed that in addition to new multiplayer modes, 343 was working on new content for the story. But that wasn't the case, according to the people familiar with the situation. Developers were making prototypes in the Unreal Engine and pitching ideas for new Halo games rather than working on new missions for Halo Infinite. Many of those developers were laid off this month and the company isn't actively working on new story content, the people said. A Microsoft spokesman declined to comment."

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Honestly, I'm fine with that. I didn't think Halo Infinite single player was as great as other people thought. Felt very empty and repetitive. But I loved Infinite multiplayer. If they can get a hit on their hands on the multiplayer side of things, I think they'll be okay.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
"In an email to staff following the layoffs, Hintze wrote that the current plan for 343 is to support "a robust live offering" for Halo Infinite and its Forge level creator and "greenlighting our new tech stack" for future Halo games while also "bringing Halo to more players through more platforms than ever before."

Wonder if by new platforms if they just mean continuing cloud gaming, or treating Halo like Minecraft and putting it on everything?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I swear I read about the engine change months ago… Unless it is only just been confirmed. In a way it's kind of sad to see another engine die but 343 clearly have been having issues.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Thought it was painfully obvious that 343 was going through a massive reset. Interesting that they are moving away from slipspace but it sounds like it was the albatross around their neck. Like frostbite an engine that fatigued its devs.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You know what makes this worse? Realizing that the Halo show will be where we get Master Chief´s story now...

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I feel like Halo has hit the "reset" button three times in the 343i era.

This is frustrating because I enjoyed Infinite in large part specifically because it felt like such a fantastic foundation for something greater that would be coming next. I wanted something like Infinite with the benefit of a clear development path going forward and an expansion of everything we saw in that game. I worry their "reset" is going to involving tossing the baby with the bath water.

Can't wait for the 4th game straight to start a "new saga" and the 3rd straight to unceremoniously resolve the last game's plot in flashbacks or a prologue or a comic book.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering if there was another example of a console maker mangling their mascot IP this badly and realized that the prophecy has come full circle and Microsoft really is SEGA 2.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
So sad to see what they've done to my boy. I can still clearly remember the feeling of unlimited possibilities ahead when getting to the legendary ending in Halo 3 and seeing that forerunner planet.

Never would've guessed it'd be all downhill from there.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Yes this is good.

edit:
I just noticed this part. What in the holy hell...

"Since Halo Infinite was released, fans had assumed that in addition to new multiplayer modes, 343 was working on new content for the story. But that wasn't the case, according to the people familiar with the situation. Developers were making prototypes in the Unreal Engine and pitching ideas for new Halo games rather than working on new missions for Halo Infinite. Many of those developers were laid off this month and the company isn't actively working on new story content, the people said. A Microsoft spokesman declined to comment."

Wait this isnt good.