Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, it came to light the actors are not happy with the union rates, or SAG-AFTRA either. So calling her greedy is trying to assassinate her character here especially that Taylor's Bayonetta, whether we like it or not now is widely recognised as being very iconic and inherent to the character.

Whether or not she acted out of desire to elevate others actors' livelihoods, 4 times the union rate is what actors seem to be in need for

She is absolutely greedy for trying to go for six figure plus residuals over BAYONETTA, a game franchise that is only continuing because Nintendo is throwing Platinum a bone. This isn't Fortnite, League of Legends, or Minecraft.

Not only is she greedy, she's a lying TERF that intentionally used disinformation to sow chaos and incite a mob towards Platinum, Nintendo, and Jennifer Hale. You making her out to be some martyr for the voice acting industry is disgusting.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah since it's been like 5 days since the original tweet I was kind of expecting them to just not do an official response rather than wait this long to do one. Maybe it just took this long to get stuff laywer-approved

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the situation is more or less at its end and people can move on and enjoy Bayonetta 3 and the hard work of all the people who helped make it. Hopefully the conversation continues about residuals for VAs. And hopefully people learn not to have psychotic kneejerk reactions to reports with little info next time (they won't).

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, it came to light the actors are not happy with the union rates, or SAG-AFTRA either. So calling her greedy is trying to assassinate her character here especially that Taylor's Bayonetta, whether we like it or not now is widely recognised as being very iconic and inherent to the character.

Whether or not she acted out of desire to elevate others actors' livelihoods, 4 times the union rate is what actors seem to be in need for
Behold a human pretzel.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

The fucking means you folks will go to assuage the image of a woman who thinks I'm just a male rapist in waiting.

Separate the call for better compensation of actors from this bigot who doesn't even work in the industry anymore.

Last edited:

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah since it's been like 5 days since the original tweet I was kind of expecting them to just not do an official response rather than wait this long to do one. Maybe it just took this long to get stuff laywer-approved

Between the weekend, clearing things with Sega and Nintendo, and probably some pivoting after the Jason article was released and waiting to see reactions to that, I think it makes sense why a statement took a while.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I know Jason Schreier said that management most likely are not happy for the fact that he divulged details of their dealings, even if they paint the developers in a good light, but I think this might be the one noted exception to ever happen in gaming. If not for his investigative report, this statement would probably not fly. He pretty much helped change the discourse and deserves so much credit for getting the truth out there.

Aside from that, given the context, this is all that really needs to be said. They put Jennifer Hale over themselves, and that's a class act.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
What? No, did you forget that Sag-Aftra VAs went on strike a couple years ago and IIRC did not get near as much out of the bargaining as they wanted.
Yes I was of course talking about all voice acting pay disputes and not this one individual case of someone lying about offered pay when I said "There's MULTIPLE WORKERS RIGHTS ISSUES IN GAMING but this has turned out to not be ONE of them."

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I was of course talking about all voice acting pay disputes and not this one individual case of someone lying about offered pay when I said "There's MULTIPLE WORKERS RIGHTS ISSUES IN GAMING but this has turned out to not be ONE of them."
Ya acting like the benefit of the doubt should be afforded to you after saying multiple ignorant comments.

Check you're tenor.

Deleted user 125633

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Her response to Scheier's reporting is to say she now wants to put it all behind her.

"EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION TO ME! No, not like that."

This would sound 100 percent less disingenuous if it at all acknowledged just how much damage Taylor has done to the entire discourse surrounding voice actor pay.

Every time someone tries to tie this awful TERF to VAs as a whole, the only thing that comes to mind is that she outright lied about how much money she was going to get for her role, she lied about how much money the series is worth, and rather than confront any of these lies whatsoever or at least provide evidence that corroborates anything she said, she has instead decided that she no longer cares and just wants this to stop.

No one should EVER take seriously anyone who claims to give a shit about workers rights while at the same time championing someone who has done more in a weekend to destroy the efforts of the movement than the SAG has managed to accomplish over the past decade.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It's really god damn sickening how the online sentiment about Kamiya is that the harassment was justified because they don't like his response to said barrage of harassment he never deserved.

*edit* like expanding further people literally admit that yes he was indeed harassed, that yes said harassment was based off of lies against him, but that it doesn't matter he deserved it because he didn't take kindly to getting bombarded with hate comments given his past experience in dealing with racist angry fanboys.
Lots of people already hated him but knew their reasoning was "wrong", so this gave them a "right" reason to hate him.

The fucking means you folks will go to assuage the image of a woman who thinks I'm just a male rapist in waiting.

Separate the call for better compensation of actors from this bigot who doesn't even work in the industry anymore.
The locked thread has like 18 bans for downplaying transphobia and people still won't listen.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Ya acting like the benefit of the doubt should be afforded to you after saying multiple ignorant comments.

Check you're tenor.
I'm not a tenor, but ok.
giphy.gif

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So she turned down the offer because it was too low, then went public about how terrible the offer was. Am I reading that right?

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
So she turned down the offer because it was too low, then went public about how terrible the offer was. Am I reading that right?
Not exactly. She turned down an offer for ~4k per session with 5 sessions. Countered with a 6 figure and residuals demand. Platinum balked, and hired Hale. Then later they decided to offer her a single session cameo for ~4k which she turned down. She then misrepresented the final offer as if it was the offer she received for the main character role instead of the cameo.

Deleted user 125633

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 13, 2022

Per Bloomberg, emphasis mine:

"In the case of Bayonetta 3, the developer appeared to be determined to rehire Taylor, according to two people familiar with the negotiations as well as documentation reviewed by Bloomberg. Here's where their accounts differ: Platinum Games sought to hire Taylor for at least five sessions, each paying $3,000 to $4,000 for four hours in the studio, said the people, who asked not to be identified because they aren't authorized to discuss private contract negotiations. That would make the total for the game at least $15,000. In response, they said, Taylor asked for a six-figure sum as well as residuals on the game. Platinum declined and, following lengthy negotiations, took auditions for a new actor. Platinum later offered Taylor a cameo in the game for the fee of one session, which she turned down, the people said."

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
No.

She was offered $15-20 k
she delcined
She said that she she deserved at min 100K, and residuals
they declined
They came at her with a cameo role for 4K to make good.
She declined
She made a video about Platinum trying to stiff her by omitting the pay from the pitch.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Well if anything, this whole debacle is useful to expose a really ugly side of YouTube, Twitter, and yes, even Era, where there are so many people showing their arses here and how, despite everything, they just refused to apologize truthfully about how they acted.

It's a good event to reference and separate who are the posters that can be heard meaningfully and who are those who should not. For me, anyways.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
She had an immensely over-inflated perception of her role and of the franchise itself - as even during her accusation she claimed that Bayonetta is a half billion dollar franchise (absurd). Taylor was under the impression that she was the irreplaceable voice of an iconic, mainstream protagonist that she could leverage for frankly an unheard of paycheck with residuals.

It's relevant to point out that Hellena Taylor is not a career VA, as her new response states her actual job is in theatre which she now says she wants to "get back to". Bayonetta's the only role she's done in the last decade, without even having any other gigs since Bayo 2 eight years ago. So in her lacking knowledge of the industry she misleadingly assumed she had much more leverage than she did, and when that assumption clashed with reality during bargaining, Taylor stayed adamant and the negotiations fell apart and P* had to look for a replacement. Cue Taylor then ranting about how Hale has no right to call herself the voice of Bayonetta after Taylor turned down the role.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

The union rate is $760 per day, she got offered 4-5 times that. And then declined.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The minimum union rate at the time would've been $920 and change per day, not 760.
That would be movie/TV rates I think?

globalvoiceacademy.com

SAG-AFTRA Rates

Visit the post for more.

New Media-Interactive
Use Rate$757.56This Off-Camera Rate is paid for any single Interactive Platform performance of up to 3 Voices during a 4 Hour Day. Voices used on any On-Line or Network Platform or used as a "Lift" to another program, add an additional 100% of the original rate in each case if the rights are acquired within one year of initial release and 110% after such period

Even then she would have been offered roughly 4 times the rate.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
Helena response is honestly so weak..."im leaving this mess behind" after putting one of the most inflamatory and destructive accusations to a team of people that have worked on this game for 5+ years...is honestly just embarrasing.

Anyways, im excited as hell for Bayo3.

Feb 24, 2018
She had an immensely over-inflated perception of her role and of the franchise itself - as even during her accusation she claimed that Bayonetta is a half billion dollar franchise (absurd). Taylor was under the impression that she was the irreplaceable voice of an iconic, mainstream protagonist that she could leverage for frankly an unheard of paycheck with residuals.

It's relevant to point out that Hellena Taylor is not a career VA, as her new response states her actual job is in theatre which she now says she wants to "get back to". Bayonetta's the only role she's done in the last decade, without even having any other gigs since Bayo 2 eight years ago. So in her lacking knowledge of the industry she misleadingly assumed she had much more leverage than she did, and when that assumption clashed with reality during bargaining, Taylor stayed adamant and the negotiations fell apart and P* had to look for a replacement. Cue Taylor then ranting about how Hale has no right to call herself the voice of Bayonetta after Taylor turned down the role.
That actually makes me wonder, will also destroy her theatre career? I can't imagine many theatre groups would be thrilled to have her given all the horridness that's came out about her and be worried she'll try to screw them over as well.

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
That would be movie/TV rates I think?

globalvoiceacademy.com

SAG-AFTRA Rates

Visit the post for more.

New Media-Interactive
Use Rate$757.56This Off-Camera Rate is paid for any single Interactive Platform performance of up to 3 Voices during a 4 Hour Day. Voices used on any On-Line or Network Platform or used as a "Lift" to another program, add an additional 100% of the original rate in each case if the rights are acquired within one year of initial release and 110% after such period

Even then she would have been offered roughly 4 times the rate.

This is I and others have been using. That website doesn't say when was the last time it was updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.