• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 25, 2019
London
I view this as a good thing...after this summer's showing heads needed to start rolling at 343. Much of that studio's executive leadership should be sent packing

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reach. ODST.

I don't remember there being any development issues with Halo 4. Neither Halo Wars 1 and 2?

343 was involved with all the above releases.

MCC was primarily developed by an external studio as far as I am aware, and bought in house after release to fix the issues. Which they have done amazingly well.

People love shitting on 343 for no real reason.
wasn't halo wars 1 all ensemble

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
Reach. ODST.

I don't remember there being any development issues with Halo 4. Neither Halo Wars 1 and 2?

MCC was primarily developed by an external studio as far as I am aware, and bought in house after release to fix the issues. Which they have done amazingly well.

?

Reach and ODST were fully made by Bungie. Unless you're talking about the MCC releases? But even then those were mostly done by the 343 Publishing Team and another studio I can't remember the name of.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
lol - just let it die. Halo was fun like 13 years ago - been getting worse ever since.

DeadOnions

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Reach. ODST.

You can't give credit to 343 for Reach and ODST when they were developed by Bungie and wasn't HW 1 before they even formed? At the same time hand wave MCC as "external team".

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know something. Why is it that when someone is stepping away from a project, why does that always have to be assumed something negative happened? Like jason tweet says "turbulent" and I'm confused....

...What if it's just not?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Reach. ODST.

Reach and ODST were Bungie games, though?

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It can only get better from here. 343 has been a terribly run studio and it is high time to remove the current management there

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Reach. ODST.

As in the PC versions?

Reach and ODST on console were not 343 games.

I think the question is titles where they were the developers. Halo 4 and 5 both had fairly seismic issues, even if they both had redeeming qualities too (Halo 5 multiplayer was GREAT).

Jan 4, 2018
Serious question: has 343 Industries ever launched a product without huge development problems?

Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 5 were all development messes anyway.

Especially Halo 2. It was a gigantic mess, even the E3 2003 Demo was fake, the game barely ran on development kits that had twice the RAM of retail consoles and designers created levels that couldn't be played because the engine would have to be rewritten at the last minute.

medium.com

Assembling A Cathedral Out Of A Hurricane — The Making of Halo 2

How do you follow up a phenomenon? A game that revolutionized a genre and legitimized a new entry into the console space? A game that set…

I don't remember about Halo 4.

Last edited:

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Oct 26, 2017
Reach. ODST.

343 did not make ODST or Reach. 343 only really impacted Reach after Bungie left, they have no development/publisher credits.

Halo 4 and 5 had smooth development processes, but what they launched with were very disappointing to some fans when it came to content and game design depending where you look. Infinite is having a lot of issues trying to make a game that will not fall into either of those categories for fans.

343 also played a hand in MCC in terms of managing the entire project and making the decision to put all 4 games in one, which Bonnie Ross has stated they regretted doing.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What a mess. I'm legit concerned about the future of Halo.

Hopefully they can turn things around.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Can't imagine being under that amount of stress to begin with, let alone after the negative reaction of the gameplay reveal. Hope he gets some time to decompress after all of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think many studio launched a game without huge development problems.

Anyway, my prediction is:

Halo Infinite Multiplayer - 2021
Halo Infinite Campaign - 2022
Yeah, I think multiplayer will be out before campaign at this point. Even if they just call it a "Beta."

I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer component is more-or-less ready to go at this point. 343's multiplayer team seems a lot better managed than the campaign team. This was true with Halo 5, too. That campaign clearly went through a lot of changes, whereas the multiplayer seemed like it executed on the team's vision.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
I haven't played any halo games but I know about the shift of developers. 343 seem like a really bad choice, can Microsoft get rid of them and get someone else to make the series

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
Reach and ODST were primarily developed by Bungie but 343 was involved in the story, publishing etc.
I find it very difficult to give 343 any sort of credit for ODST and Reach when they were Bungie developed games. Barely anyone was employed at 343 when ODST was in development and they didn't really step into the picture until after 2010.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Reach. ODST.

Dude what? Bungie made Reach and ODST. Ensemble made Halo Wars 1. Creative Assembly made Halo Wars 2.

I'm a huge Halo Wars fan I've been playing it since 2009. And yeah Halo Wars 1 had a very troubled development that ended with Ensemble studios closing permanently.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft needs to say or show something to instill confidence in the game. The narrative has totally run away from them, and they seem content to not do anything about it.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
So, let's say the campaign is so damaged that it neess to be pushed to 2022 but the multi comes out next year on both consoles. In this case, maybe they could drop the X1 version of the campaign.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Way more heads need to roll at 343 than just this guy. The amount of time and money wasted to produce that demo represents catastropic mismanagement top to bottom. This is a total gutting level failure.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
idTech seems like a team that could take on this franchise. 🙄
That was my thought on the other page.

If this bombs, and possibly even if it doesn't but just due to the turmoil at 343, seeing about handing this franchise off to a new team at ID that can hopefully incorporate some veteran talent wouldn't be the worst path forward.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think multiplayer will be out before campaign at this point. Even if they just call it a "Beta."

I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer component is more-or-less ready to go at this point. 343's multiplayer team seems a lot better managed than the campaign team. This was true with Halo 5, too. That campaign clearly went through a lot of changes, whereas the multiplayer seemed like it executed on the team's vision.
Well, campaign is trying things new to Halo that are probably tough from a tech and design standpoint (open world, live service content delivery, etc.). Multiplayer is probably more of an iteration on what they did in Halo 5, so easier to schedule and manage from a development standpoint. Could be wrong (maybe they'll reveal a battle royale mode or something), but that's my guess.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Yikes. It hurts so much to see the Halo franchise like this. Well, at least the MCC is on PC now with a near flawless port of Halo 3 and half decent ports of the other games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That means Halo Infinite will have had 3 different directors in just 2 years. Not looking great...