• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously, seriously doubt they would make a game that was already announced for Switch and make it pro exclusive. Nintendo has done some anti-consumer stuff but they've never pulled anything like that.

You're not wrong, but I think it will depend on when the thing actually comes out. More than two years after the Pro launches, and I don't think the public will balk at the idea.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You're right. Looking at better sources I find 0.471 undocked, 0.786 docked. Hoping for a 5X increase in docked performance is probably optimistic.
Those sources are also wrong. Switch is about 392 GFLOPS docked, around 196 GFLOPS undocked. Current low end estimate for the device talked about here are something like 500 GFLOPS undocked, 1 TFLOPS docked. And that's a very low end estimate. Could go up to 750 GFLOPS undocked, 1.5 TFLOPS docked towards the higher end.

Dec 21, 2020
this has been said every time since the wii was made and unfortunately hasn't been true
Really? Wii U gpu was better than the PS360 in real life despite having less flops, so in this case being 7 years and on a far superior uArch shouldn't be that hard at all vs the 2 years the GPU in the Wii U had over the other two systems.

7 years is the difference between Ampere and GCN 1.0

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean I'm due an upgrade, I've been rolling with my launch switch so I'm in. Will probably give my old one to my sis

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point it's a longshot to say BOTW2, MP4, Bayo 3 and Splatoon 3 will be Switch Pro titles amd Nintendo have been secretive all this time around them (and other titles) for this reason.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
re: revision-exclusive games

While the Switch does have a massive install base as is, many current Switch owners are people who only play one or a handful of games, or who bought it years ago and haven't touched it since. On the other hand, people who buy a more expensive revision touting better performance are, broadly speaking, going to be more of an engaged "core" that's looking to justify their recent investment in more powerful hardware. The install base size is somewhat misleading as it pertains to the majority of games that aren't one of Nintendo's flagship franchises because a relatively small subset of base Switch owners would be interested in those to begin with.

I wouldn't expect much in terms of first-party exclusives because those tend to appeal the broader userbase; even beyond your Marios and Pokemons, there's a lot of people who might be considered "casuals" who'd want to grab those. But for some third-party ports, going Pro-exclusive might be a worthwhile endeavor depending on the game and the market they're angling for.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Wii U gpu was better than the PS360 in real life despite having less flops, so in this case being 7 years and on a far superior uArch shouldn't be that hard at all vs the 2 years the GPU in the Wii U had over the other two systems.

Ironically an ampere flop is actually much less efficient than a Turing flop.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I seriously, seriously doubt they would make a game that was already announced for Switch and make it pro exclusive. Nintendo has done some anti-consumer stuff but they've never pulled anything like that.

I wouldn't necessarily call that kind of practice anti-consumer. If Metroid Prime 4 were to be developed and optimized exclusively around this more powerful hardware, then it may have unacceptable performance on the original Switch, making it unsellable (if they did choose to sell an obviously more subpar performing and looking version of the game, like we're talking unacceptable Cyberpunk-levels of performance, that would be more anti-consumer).

However that said, Nintendo will probably not do this (develop games only for Switch Pro) simply due to business reasons, as you are not selling to the majority of the user base and thus making less money. It's likely development will start on the base Switch, and we will then see massive improvements to Image Quality/resolution and framerates and overall performance. The difference will be noticeable enough for most people (core gamers) to feel the need to upgrade. New games will still 'run' on the Switch, but they will be poor in the same way some late 3DS games were (also, current Switch games are already shows that the current Switch is already on it's last legs, barely being able to keep up with more graphically demanding ports, and even Nintendo's own games are getting to that point. I'd go as far to say that choosing to stay with the current Switch, if you do play a lot of Switch games and will do so in the future, is just a bad idea).

However, its important to note, this is Nvidia tech we're talking about here. The jump in tech from the Tegra X1 to this new DLSS-capable NVIDIA mobile SoC will absolutely destroy any comparison point between Switch>Switch Pro vs 3DS>New 3DS. I don't think people should be making similar comparisons too much cause the 3DS tech and the vendor that Nintendo went with for the 3DS were always shitty and low tech, and definitely not as scalable or future proof, even by 2011 standards. NVIDIA is whole different beast and Nintendo gamers are very lucky that Nintendo went with them for the Switch, the advantages (exclusive access to the most advanced cutting-edge tech like DLSS and powerful mobile SoC's) are already notable.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
They'll definitely be at least a singular "Hey look at what this thing can do!" game akin to Xenoblade Chronicles 3D for sure, but I wouldn't expect many of them.

These games will still need to work on the base hardware; they'll just be looking nicer and running better on the Pro hardware.

I feel like some folks are hyping themselves up for some sort of miracle and I feel like they're gonna be disappointed in the end.
I do agree with the general message here.

People should not be viewing this hardware as a successor. It's a revision and will be treated as such. Will it get some exclusive releases? Yes; but most will remain compatible across Switch OG and Switch Pro/Revision.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I have been able to get every system I've wanted at launch except the Wii. Got 2 ps5s for friends and family. I am 100% certain I'm not going to be able to get this shit at launch. Ninty pls :'(

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about that. I mean.. they haven't specifically done that, but they've announced games for one platform that got moved to another one, like Super Paper Mario.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily call that kind of practice anti-consumer. If Metroid Prime 4 were to be developed and optimized exclusively around this more powerful hardware, then it may have unacceptable performance on the original Switch, making it unsellable (if they did choose to sell an obviously more subpar performing and looking version of the game, like we're talking unacceptable Cyberpunk-levels of performance, that would be more anti-consumer).

However that said, Nintendo will probably not do this (develop games only for Switch Pro) simply due to business reasons, as you are not selling to the majority of the user base and thus making less money. It's likely development will start on the base Switch, and we will then see massive improvements to Image Quality/resolution and framerates and overall performance. The difference will be noticeable enough for most people (core gamers) to feel the need to upgrade. New games will still 'run' on the Switch, but they will be poor in the same way some late 3DS games were (also, current Switch games are already shows that the current Switch is already on it's last legs, barely being able to keep up with more graphically demanding ports, and even Nintendo's own games are getting to that point. I'd go as far to say that choosing to stay with the current Switch, if you do play a lot of Switch games and will do so in the future, is just a bad idea).

However, its important to note, this is Nvidia tech we're talking about here. The jump in tech from the Tegra X1 to this new DLSS-capable NVIDIA mobile SoC will absolutely destroy any comparison point between Switch>Switch Pro vs 3DS>New 3DS. I don't think people should be making similar comparisons too much cause the 3DS tech and the vendor that Nintendo went with for the 3DS were always shitty and low tech, and definitely not as scalable or future proof, even by 2011 standards. NVIDIA is whole different beast and Nintendo gamers are very lucky that Nintendo went with them for the Switch, the advantages (exclusive access to the most advanced cutting-edge tech like DLSS and powerful mobile SoC's) are already notable.

It's anti-consumer announcing a game for one platform and then years later saying "just kidding, it's not coming to that platform".

You're selling people a product under false pretenses.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to pile on but wth was the point of that comment by Oblivion. Did he just walk out of a time warp?

Superking

Oct 25, 2017

i could be wrong, but i don't believe the wii u gpu had superior architecture to xenos, just a bit more of what it had (clock speed, transistors, etc.)

The Wii was also an AMD GPU.

i know?

What you're saying is literally untrue.

the wii was merely overclocked, literally no change in architecture whatsoever. as i said above, latte was xenos with more stuff tacked on. switch, i believe had to be powered down to be able to accomodate for the handheld portion.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
the wii was merely overclocked, literally no change in architecture whatsoever. as i said above, latte was xenos with more stuff tacked on. switch, i believe had to be powered down to be able to accomodate for the handheld portion.

The Switch's GPU is absolutely more perfomant in practice than what paper Flops would suggest and that is due to years of architectural improvements. To state otherwise is false the fact that the GPU is not running max clocks does not chsnge that.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that was always a Wii game or at least announced as one?
Nope
www.videogamer.com

Super Paper Mario announced for GameCube

Nintendo has revealed Super Paper Mario, a new 2D/3D side-scrolling platformer for the Nintendo GameCube.

There were rumours about it becoming a Wii exclusive before the Wii launched though!

Anyway, can't really say I expect that to happen in this situation. MP4 and Bayo3 would be the likeliest options if they did do that kind of thing. Splatoon 3 was shown off as a game with no antialiasing and BotW should be safe as a 'cross gen' game which is kind of tradition at this point.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's anti-consumer announcing a game for one platform and then years later saying "just kidding, it's not coming to that platform".

You're selling people a product under false pretenses.

Dinosaur Planet?

Also, MP4 is kind of a special case. It was announced suuuuuuuuper early, and then production was totally rebooted a long time after that initial announcement. Anybody buying a Switch solely for MP4 over the last couple of years is being foolish.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Dinosaur Planet?

Also, MP4 is kind of a special case. It was announced suuuuuuuuper early, and then production was totally rebooted a long time after that initial announcement. Anybody buying a Switch solely for MP4 over the last couple of years is being foolish.

Dinosaur Planet I kinda get since it became a totally different game altogether.

But Super Paper Mario is a good example of this.

Still I think it's really shitty and would best be avoided.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MP4 is a game that exists largely for prestige and goodwill. There's no sense in risking that by making it revision-exclusive.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Will it have exclusive games tho? Cause other than that it's just prettier switch games if devs even make use of all that power.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that XSX/PS5 cost $100 more and they aren't even portable.
But they are about 10x as powerful and have better ecosystems, better online/voice/party work and get games that run far far better on their hardware.

And....portability for switch means zero to me personally. I never use it portably.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
But they are about 10x as powerful and have better ecosystems, better online/voice/party work and get games that run far far better on their hardware.

And....portability for switch means zero to me personally. I never use it portably.
Apple's to oranges. Both types of product have their niche in the market and will sell easily. The more variety we have in gaming systems the healthier the market is in general.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

And I only use it portability. It's by far my favorite thing about the system. I've had it since 2017 and I would bet that I've used it docked a total of 5-ish times.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree with the general message here.

People should not be viewing this hardware as a successor. It's a revision and will be treated as such. Will it get some exclusive releases? Yes; but most will remain compatible across Switch OG and Switch Pro/Revision.

Nintendo won't hold third parties to release as many exclusives as they like. And this would turn Switch Pro into another GBC situation. It all depends on how fast Switch pro sales are.

GBC was supposed to be a GB revision but Nintendo allowed third parties to use full 56 color games. In the end GBC was a separate console with hundreds of exclusives even some from Nintendo.