• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
www.bloomberg.com

Nintendo Drops After Outlook Cut as Switch Demand Starts to Cool

Nintendo Co.’s stock price plunged after it cut its full-year earnings and revenue outlook in a sign of flagging demand for the aging Switch console.

By Takashi Mochizuki

Nintendo Co.'s stock price plunged as much as 6.9% after it cut its full-year earnings and revenue outlook in a sign of flagging demand for the aging Switch console.
"Earnings showed the Switch is rushing to the end of its life cycle at a faster pace than what we had anticipated," said Kazunori Ito, an analyst at Morningstar. "Hardware strategy is a key for Nintendo in the next fiscal term, but it looks like it has no good measures for now."

Investors are focusing on the Switch's sales momentum in the coming fiscal year. Nintendo has sat out a broader rally in tech stocks this year and may remain stuck in the doldrums until it unveils a successor to the Switch, which has seen sales declining over the past two years. The company expects to end the year with about 18 million consoles sold, down from an earlier 19 million target.
"Demand is exhausted" for the Switch, said Mark Chadwick, an analyst who publishes on Smartkarma, adding that the normalization of supply chain issues benefits rival Sony Group Corp.'s newer PlayStation 5.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
This feels a little bit hysterical, no? It's not like Nintendo gave up on new hardware, they're just waiting for the right time to drop it.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
It's that time of year again

nintendo-doomed.gif

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I mean, it is what it is. Shareholders and investors continue to piss me off on a daily growth inducing basis.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
investors are stupid as fuck if they thought a console nearly 7 years into it's life was going to continue to sell as if it were earlier in its cycle. It's like they have never bothered to look at how console life cycles and sales work

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The Switch is in such a bad shape that they just sold 20 million copies of Pokemon in like three months.

Oct 27, 2017
zombie-land-comedy.gif

I love how it's not that demand is exhausting it's that it's exhausted. Already. When it's still the number 1/2 console in terms of sales

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
I'm going to undercut any discourse about Nintendo and failure right now before it gets out of hand.

This is both good and bad. Good because this might push them to show off their new hardware sooner than later. Bad because, well, less money is bad. But good because they literally have enough money stockpiled to survive until the heat death of the universe.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
investors are stupid as fuck if they thought a console nearly 7 years into it's life was going to continue to sell as if it were earlier in its cycle. It's like they have never bothered to look at how console life cycles and sales work
They expected an announcement of new hardware by now, not for the Switch to outpace its already impressive sales.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So the story of the Switch is finally exhausted then.
But with a 120M+ userbase, it'll demand a lot of effort to continue selling this well, I'm already amazed by how far it went since there was a lot of negativity around the time it was unveiled.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
That happens if you not release a new Pokemon Ranger. Would have boosted Switch sales tremendously.

Bulerias

Oct 26, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
These kind of articles will always be hilarious to me. "Switch demand starts to cool," yeah, no shit, it's what, year 6? Nintendo reported a basically record revenue and the Switch is at #3 all-time sold among consoles and handhelds. I understand that this doesn't factor neatly into stock valuations and investor reactions and whatnot, but the hyperbole has always been through the roof about Nintendo being on the brink of failure.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we have an article like last week about Nintendo upping Switch production to keep up with the ongoing demand? We also have a quote here that says demand is exhausted? Which is it?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone with the doomed clock when this seems to just be reporting on normal market cycles

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Since Nintendo denied Mochizuki's Switch 2 reports, he's been biased as fuck. He's the same with PS as well. Pretty sad to see.

Aug 12, 2019
Capitalism is literally the dumbest shit in the world and stuff like this proves it.

Oh you had the best selling console of the year, made billions of dollars across your enterprises, shipped millions in software that lit up the sales charts, and have cornered an entire subset of the gaming market with a showing that the best game companies would love to have in year four of their console, let alone five in the midst of a major period of high inflation, decreased spending, high cost of living, and general decrease in purchasing of entertainment?

Fuck you, not infinite growth, no confidence number not go up enough.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Investor right now: It's so over.

Investors when Zelda launches: We are so back

Investors after Zelda launches: It has never been more over.

Investors when Nintendo announces the Switch successor: We have never left.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Nov 2018 - Stock values for Nintendo have dropped back to the level they were at before the Switch first launched, many believe this doesn't spell good things for the company's future.

Senior analyst Cornelio Ash of the firm William O'Neil & Co - "The Switch excitement has rapidly declined," Ash further said. "Unless there's significant change or something else new, the Switch story has been exhausted."

Damn, these analysts and the markets in general clearly know their stuff. This guy knew the Switch story was exhausted 5 years ago! Someone should have told nintendo so they could have spared themselves from their collapse!

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This feels a little bit hysterical, no? It's not like Nintendo gave up on new hardware, they're just waiting for the right time to drop it.
i think it's more complicated than that. I think Nintendo is just terrified of how the public will receive a new hardware. Do they do the usual new gimmick they did in every new gen of console, or just literally update the hardware?

I can easily see them fumbling hard and fucking up the momentum that came from the switch. I mean Nintendo has a pretty wide history of this.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Well, should've fired a bunch of people I guess. /s

Stock markets are dumb, shares are gonna swing back, so I guess it's a good chance for people to buy while it's down a bit.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doomed
I'm confused. I thought both hardware and software sales exceeded expectations?
Yes and no. Their current forecast is still above their initial forecast but they had bumped it up a ton, 17% after Q2 and are now bringing it 7.5% down. So it's disappointing but only because they were overconfident about the holiday. They're still going to make about $3 billion in profit this year so...

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Just a market overreaction, tends to happen even on the slightest of quarterly misses. They'll bounce back soon enough, most likely.