• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching some streams of the game and so far I'm not too impressed. I was never really impressed when they first showed it...or with the demos I've seen of it. The physics stuff is interesting, but not enough for me to jump in. Good to see people having fun with it, though. Doesn't seem like a game for me.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching some streams of the game and so far I'm not too impressed. I was never really impressed when they first showed it...or with the demos I've seen of it. The physics stuff is interesting, but not enough for me to jump in. Good to see people having fun with it, though. Doesn't seem like a game for me.

What's not impressive about all of the physics?

Dec 23, 2017
This is gonna be rough for me to unlearn that. Even in games where you don't have to hold the buttons after grabbing something i always continue to hold those buttons out of muscle memory.

Yeah, you have to learn a bit of self control. Especially since your hands don't go through objects, so you need to use your imagination here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Valve being inspired by Boneworks is plausible, but this idea he puts forward that HL:A was completely devoid of any physics before that is crazy. Hell, he says the Boneworks guys visited Valve in December 2018, yet there was that talk with the Valve employee describing door physics and how it took them months and months of trial and error. Something doesn't add up.

The Valve News Network (VNN) guy has a major obsession with Valve, has determined everything he could and has successfully reported on many of Valves projects before official announcements were made. He even knew all about Half-Life: Alyx for a very long time.

So if this guy says that Half-Life: Alyx was originally void of complex VR physics and was inspired by Boneworks... it's probably very true. Boneworks development team has visited Valve on many occasions.

I just hope Half-Life: Alyx doesn't feel undercooked as if they added in better physics at the last minute with the game being designed without complex physics in mind. Hopefully Half-Life: Alyx is the real deal. Usually Valve is the company that pushes the forefront on gaming tech.

I will pick up Boneworks as it looks great but I do hope Half-Life: Alyx is a much more fulfilling all around game experience.
Tyler lacks some critical thinking sometimes. Valve has heavily worked with physics since HL2 and even the VR playhouse in Steam has physic elements with the toys you can move around. Heck, they have now their own physics engine separate from Havok that they internally developed! They probably liked the game and tested it but not to the degree he says.

About the game, did 30 minutes of the tutorial, no problems so far, although having a body in VR feels weird and kinda wonky.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So do you guys think Half-Life: Alyx will have the level of physics interaction as Boneworks?

AdorableFantasticGrasshopper-max-1mb.gif

Is this enough for you?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
First time I've felt a bit sick in VR for a long time, I think it's because the movement speed has acceleration. Some of the controls will take some getting used to as well, to grab things with the Oculus you have to use the grab button and the trigger.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Tyler lacks some critical thinking sometimes. Valve has heavily worked with physics since HL2 and even the VR playhouse in Steam has physic elements with the toys you can move around. Heck, they have now their own physics engine separate from Havok that they internally developed! They probably liked the game and tested it but not to the degree he says.

I very much doubt the tidbit about SLZ wanting to make a Half-Life game but Valve saying no on account of Alyx. Black Mesa, Prospekt, etc. exist, after all, as well as mods like Portal Stories. Valve takes issue with "legitimate" third-party Half-Life games (i.e. those that aren't unauthorised commercial products) only when they sport a name that may give people the impression it's an official product, and I can't imagine SLZ was adamant that its game absolutely must be named Half-Life VR or whatever.

Last edited:

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
The Valve News Network (VNN) guy has a major obsession with Valve, has determined everything he could and has successfully reported on many of Valves projects before official announcements were made. He even knew all about Half-Life: Alyx for a very long time.

So if this guy says that Half-Life: Alyx was originally void of complex VR physics and was inspired by Boneworks... it's probably very true. Boneworks development team has visited Valve on many occasions.

I just hope Half-Life: Alyx doesn't feel undercooked as if they added in better physics at the last minute with the game being designed without complex physics in mind. Hopefully Half-Life: Alyx is the real deal. Usually Valve is the company that pushes the forefront on gaming tech.

I will pick up Boneworks as it looks great but I do hope Half-Life: Alyx is a much more fulfilling all around game experience.
It would explain why the Index bundle game is shipping like a year late.

If anybody is using Knuckles, remember to drum your fingers on the controller every time you start the game to get the finger tracking optimal.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I mean the vast vast majority disagree. You're entitled to your own opinion, but it's one that hardly anyone else would agree with.

Oct 27, 2017

His list of getting things wrong is much longer than getting things right.

And I don't know what's sillier, the idea that Valve was making a physics-free Half-Life VR game, or that they quickly "added" physics last minute (via a homemade physics engine they were working on for years, no less).

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the vast vast majority disagree. You're entitled to your own opinion, but it's one that hardly anyone else would agree with.

I don't understand. Disagree about what?

I mean you could say that about anything lol, you need to elaborate a bit further dude

Like, picking things up and throwing things when they impact realistically is cool. However, the wonky physics and how it interacts with the body is just strange looking. The way the wrists and such move doesn't look natural at all. Strange physics things like getting stuck between geometry. I watched someone trying to hang up some hooks and they were struggling with that. Just little things. I don't use real physics in my own game because game physics is just wonky in general and getting it "perfect" takes a lot of time. Otherwise little things with how the physics engine interacts with the player can break the immersion. Again, that's just my own opinion with it. You're more than welcomed to have your own.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a lefty in almost everything and I recently got an Index. What does left handed mode mean exactly?
Can you actually lift yourself up and over a ledge? I'm seeing multiple streamers trying and failing to do it.

edit - what does "lefty mode" even mean in the context of VR?
A lot of games ask you to pick a dominant hand so that they know which one to put any hand specific interactions on (usually UI elements). Other games might actually restrict which hand can hold things like your weapon (see No Man's Sky).

I can't speak to how it affects Boneworks though since I haven't played it yet. I assume it's more about UI elements since you can definitely hold weapons in both hands but someone else will have to elaborate.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of games ask you to pick a dominant hand so that they know which one to put any hand specific interactions on (usually UI elements). Other games might actually restrict which hand can hold things like your weapon (see No Man's Sky).

I can't speak to how it affects Boneworks though since I haven't played it yet. I assume it's more about UI elements since you can definitely hold weapons in both hands but someone else will have to elaborate.
I think its more to do with having the option for the movement analog stick be on the right hand instead of the left hand.

ashbash159

Oct 27, 2017
I've asked for a refund. This is the first time I've used Oculus Link for more than 5 minutes and it keeps disconnecting every 15 minutes. I've tried 3 different USB ports.

I honestly hate how it feels with the Touch controllers. Throwing things is especially strange and doesn't feel right. Another example is opening lockers: I grab to open and then let go, but my hand gets in the way and closes the door. I feel like I can't control my own arms.

I'll stick to Quest-only games for now. Link seems a little bit too beta and I don't think I want to play the game right now anyway. Maybe one day I'll get the Index.
I already have a Oculus Rift CV1 but haven't used it in a long time. I think I'm going to use that rather than my Quest to play HL:A next year.

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I think you're all misinterpreting what kind of physics Tyler was talking about. Boneworks isn't the first VR game to have physics. It's notable because your body and hands are always reacting with the environment. This is in stark contrast to all of Valve's currently released VR products where you are able to phase through things with your body and hands in order to always keep your body and limb positions 1 to 1 with what they are in real life. Of course there was always like, pick up a box by squeezing a trigger and throw it stuff in Valve's projects. That kind of physics is in like every VR game.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
The part where you were never impressed from pre-release to release.

I never said that other people weren't impressed with the game. It's just my opinion and I think I was clear about that. If you think it's fine, then that's cool. It just doesn't look good to me at all. I'm happy people are having fun with it, though. My own tastes are mine, but that shouldn't stop people from enjoying the game if it works for them.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think you're all misinterpreting what kind of physics Tyler was talking about. Boneworks isn't the first VR game to have physics. It's notable because your body and hands are always reacting with the environment. This is in stark contrast to all of Valve's currently released VR products where you are able to phase through things with your body and hands in order to always keep your body and limb positions 1 to 1 with what they are in real life. Of course there was always like, pick up a box by squeezing a trigger and throw it stuff in Valve's projects. That kind of physics is in like every VR game.

The Lab doesn't do that though, or the Index controller one, and the Lab is years old at this point. HL:Alyx would never have you phasing through stuff either.

Dec 23, 2017
I've asked for a refund. This is the first time I've used Oculus Link for more than 5 minutes and it keeps disconnecting every 15 minutes. I've tried 3 different USB ports.

I honestly hate how it feels with the Touch controllers. Throwing things is especially strange and doesn't feel right. Another example is opening lockers: I grab to open and then let go, but my hand gets in the way and closes the door. I feel like I can't control my own arms.

I'll stick to Quest-only games for new. Link seems a little bit too beta and I don't think I want to play the game right now anyway. Maybe one day I'll get the Index.
I already have a Oculus Rift CV1 but haven't used it in a long time. I think I'm going to use that rather than my Quest to play HL:A next year.

Sorry your experiencing some issues, it's a really nice game. :(

As for opening lockers, I had that issue at first, but it took me awhile to adjust. You kinda have to give yourself a sense of presence and some distance.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty generous read. He says the game only has "physics based interactions" because of Boneworks and specifically mentions the part in the trailer with the ammo behind the boxes as being an example of impressive physics interactions.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I could watch that hand jerk that crowbar off all day.

For real though, this seems really neat and the type of fidelity I dreamed of when I first tried my PSVR years ago.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt the tidbit about SLZ wanting to make a Half-Life game but Valve saying no on account of Alyx. Black Mesa, Prospekt, etc. exist, after all, as well as mods like Portal Stories. Valve takes issue with "legitimate" third-party Half-Life games (i.e. those that aren't unauthorised commercial products) only when they sport a name that may give people the impression it's an official product, and I can't imagine SLZ was adamant that its game absolutely must be named Half-Life VR or whatever.
I could see Valve being more distant on naming it a HL game until they had launched the first proper HL game on VR and Valve might have wanted to wait until after that to allow them. Still, I dont believe the Physics part mainly because Valve has an inhouse physics engine built for VR. Physics were always going to be a thing in HLA.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
So I read in the forums the developers are trying to work on some solution for left-handers. That's good to know. I can't aim or swing things for shit with my right hand.

Just gotta wait a little longer.

Dec 23, 2017
Anyone knows how it runs in a GTX 1070 + R7 2700? And with the Oculus Rift CV1? The Touch controls seem a bit wonky from what other folks reported on the thread.

I use CV1 touch controllers.

It takes a bit of getting used to. If you want to make your hand into a fist, then you gotta press the Trigger and Grip buttons together.

You also have to teach yourself to keep your fingers off the buttons, or else your VR hands won't look right in certain situations. You also need to learn how to press both the Trigger and the Grip button at the same time for certain actions.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I could see Valve being more distant on naming it a HL game until they had launched the first proper HL game on VR and Valve might have wanted to wait until after that to allow them. Still, I dont believe the Physics part mainly because Valve has an inhouse physics engine built for VR. Physics were always going to be a thing in HLA.

I can understand Valve not wanting"Half-Life" in the name, but I can't imagine SLZ went to Valve hoping to get the green light to use the Half-Life universe for a current-gen VR game only to be told that broad realm belongs to Alyx.

And, yeah, Rubikon has existed since at least 2014, so it's certainly safe to say physics has always been a key component of Alyx.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not feeling it so far, it certainly doesn't start strong with that whole tech demo museum thing and the physics still having the usual videogame jank. At one point I ended up with my arm clipped through a door, requiring plenty of wiggling to get out of that. Not a fan of the need to press both grab and trigger to take something from a holster when at other times grabbing a gun with grab plus trigger makes you fire it immediately.

Plenty of jittering to held objects too, plus strange default grab spots. I've seen that done better in other games...

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Touch controls and that has me worried as someone who plans to stick within the Oculus ecosystem for PCVR titles. With so many hardware variations on the market, developers need to develop with all options in mind. You would think that they would have focused on Touch controls to some extent too considering they're developing a spin-off title exclusively for Quest and I can't imagine that they're going to somehow take the risk of using the newly implemented hand tracking.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It takes a bit of getting used to. If you want to make your hand into a fist, then you gotta press the Trigger and Grip buttons together.

You also have to teach yourself to keep your fingers off the buttons, or else your VR hands won't look right in certain situations. You also need to learn how to press both the Trigger and the Grip button at the same time for certain actions.
Thanks, seems doable enough.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Touch controls and that has me worried as someone who plans to stick within the Oculus ecosystem for PCVR titles. With so many hardware variations on the market, developers need to develop with all options in mind. You would think that they would have focused on Touch controls to some extent too considering they're developing a spin-off title exclusively for Quest and I can't imagine that they're going to somehow take the risk of using the newly implemented hand tracking.

I haven't played the game myself just yet (I have a "linked" Quest), but the Rift S was used during development and some players have said the Oculus Touch controllers work fine. Those who are experiencing quirks are probably encountering bugs or have a configuration issue.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it's been awhile since I've played a VR game with hand presence but isn't that how most games handle the touch controllers?

Dec 23, 2017
Maybe it's been awhile since I've played a VR game with hand presence but isn't that how most games handle the touch controllers?

Nah, not all VR games. Some VR games do things differently, or interact with things differently.

Like for example, there is a part of the Boneworks tutorial where you have to climb a wall. You can climb the wall in seemingly two ways, but one way doesn't make much sense.

The Trigger button lets you grab onto the wall, but the hand makes like a pinching gesture. That doesn't make much sense, so that's where the Grip Button comes in. You can also use the Grip Button to grab onto the wall, but when you press and hold both the Trigger/Grip buttons together, it makes sense.

I don't know if I explained it clearly, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. :o

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Do you own a VR headset or is this entirely speculation based off of footage you've seen? Because when it comes to VR, the actual experience of being immersed in a world, the feeling of your brain being tricked into actually believing you're in that space...it's incomparable to watching footage of the game.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
AdorableFantasticGrasshopper-max-1mb.gif

Is this enough for you?

Definitely the highlight of the trailer for me but I guess I'm wondering if you can interact with the entire world like this. Can we interact with the Combine soldiers similarly to what we see in Boneworks. Just wondering if all the interactions seen in Boneworks will be possible in Half-Life: Alyx. Time will tell.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll be able to play HL:A, these stupid ass VR helmet headcrabs are almost too much for me

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

I'll stick to Quest-only games for now. Link seems a little bit too beta and I don't think I want to play the game right now anyway. Maybe one day I'll get the Index.
Anecdotal but other than the Viveport software being complete ass and fucking up the Link one time for me, Oculus Link has been flawless. Works as expected with no glitches.

Its possible that your cable isn't good or that your MoBo isn't supplying enough power to your USB ports. I had issues using standard USB 3.0 ports but using the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports on my MoBo works flawlessly.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you having control issues with non-index controllers, make sure to leave feedback for the devs, because they are some of the hardest working and most transparent devs out there. Your issues will almost certainly be fixed sooner rather than later with this team.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
So I thought my cpu was the issue because I was getting massive frame drops when looking at any area that was a little larger than the starting one, but when I switched over to Virtual Desktop via Quest all that went away and it's now smooth as butter. So anyone using Link that's experiencing perf issues you may want to try VD to see if that helps any.

Still on the Streets level and am stuck at the grav lift puzzle just after you climb across the padded wall room. Am I supposed to block the bars below to prevent the platforms from going down and if so what object am I supposed to use to block them? I thought maybe I just had to time my running and jumps just right but can't get across the second platform.

The puzzles are aight so far but wish there was more exploring and shooting so hopefully that picks up in intensity later on. Kinda strange how much they focused on combat interactions in all their videos considering the amount of puzzles going on.

Weapon handling feels really satisfying and taking out the holo dudes or whatever they're called is good fun. First time I discovered one of the headcrab things I legit got spooked when it flew at me xD

I love all the detail in object interaction in the tutorial area, the gift shop with the wearable hmds was a nice touch.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just moved into a much smaller apartment closer to the city, I wonder how this would play seated? Going to miss having that sweet VR space.