LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol nobody coming back with the response? You're all making this a racial thing when in reality it isn't in the slightest.

Oh and someone please explain how sassy sounding words are exclusive to one particular skin colour because the last time I checked, it isn't. You're trying to make this case a racial one while also stereotyping the race you're claiming to defend. It's backwards and idiotic.

Also a male with the alias "woman" trying to defend women but also stereotyping women of a particular colour is quite funny.
The black people are telling you where you are going wrong

fucking stop

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was all ready to ignorantly claim this is morale outrage over nothing but y'all have a point, reading the thread I can totally see why she's problematic to a point.
Damn

Who knew that reading is fucking fundamental

I ain't tryna be aggressive towards you, just the other motherfuckers who don't read

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Nobodies told me though. Why are you getting aggressive? Because you are making something out of nothing?

Where did the creator specifically say she was a black woman? He didn't. You're all stereotyping what a black woman sounds like so no. You fucking stop.
if someone acknowledges an existing stereotype, they're the ones stereotyping? what?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Everything is problematic and nothing is okay. Humanity was a mistake. Lord take us back and start over!

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
But how do you know though? And Black people voice characters of different skin colour all the time.

I already linked you to a quote from Brad Bird that I posted earlier but I guess you don't want to click a link?

"We wanted to show Honey... but we didn't end up doing it because it's funnier as a voice," says Bird. "We actually went through all the trouble of designing a character and the design appears in the movie, but not as Frozone's wife." For fans hoping for more representation in The Incredibles 2, that news might be frustrating, but Bird doesn't seem concerned. "The first walk-around character in Disneyland that is Black was Frozone, and so I think we've done OK," he says at the press conference. "We will continue to present that sort of world, because that's the world that we live in."

Why would he segue from talking about Frozone's wife to mentioning that Frozone was the first black walk-around character at Disneyland if she isn't black?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the response and gaslighting in this thread got me more concerned than the original statement to be quite honest.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Nobodies told me though. Why are you getting aggressive? Because you are making something out of nothing?

Where did the creator specifically say she was a black woman? He didn't. You're all stereotyping what a black woman sounds like so no. You fucking stop.
No one is buying your "concern" about a black woman. Like Lotus wrote "transparent".

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Who's more outraged?

The people posting for most of these 9 pages trying to elaborate on their points?

Or the people who are bending over backwards to make this about folks being outraged?

The world may never know.

the response and gaslighting in this thread got me more concerned than the original statement to be quite honest.
Yeah honestly I thought the first few pages were going alright but things took a really stupid turn

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
if someone acknowledges an existing stereotype, they're the ones stereotyping? what?
The whole point is to get rid of the harmful stereotypes.

People using these harmful stereotypes to back up and use as evidemce, claims of racially motivated things are just strengthening the harmfulnes of said stereotypes instead of combatting it.

Like I said. Speaking with a sassy voice is not exclusive to black women and black people voice non black characters all the time.

With no proof there's no argument to be made. Instead posters don't come back with valid arguments. Instead they come back with agressive posts and sarcastic posts instead of engaging in a valid discussion.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

It honestly annoys me. Why can't there be a discussion without resorting to intellectually dishonest talking points? Folks can disagree and discuss without resorting to that.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I already linked you to a quote from Brad Bird that I posted earlier but I guess you don't want to click a link?

Why would he segue from talking about Frozone's wife to mentioning that Frozone was the first black walk-around character at Disneyland if she isn't black?
Because she's Frozones wife and that was the natural evolution of the conversation.

Your post is reaching.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Like I said. Speaking with a sassy voice is not exclusive to black women and black people voice non black characters all the time.

With no proof there's no argument to be made. Instead posters don't come back with valid arguments.

READ. THE. THREAD.

Example:
This response is disingenuous as hell but I'll go ahead and address it.

As soon as she's upset she starts using AAVE. "Uh uh. Don't you think about running off an doin no darin do. We been plannin this dinner for two months." And that's not even talking about the way the words are stressed during "WHHHYYY do you NEEED to KNOW?" and "I am your WIFE. I am the greatest GOOOD you are EVER gonna get".

You're perfectly free to feel the scene isn't offensive. You can argue your point without resorting to disingenuous statements about how it's not a caricature of a Sassy Black Woman. It absolutely, is exactly that.

I noticed you're in the UK, Venom. Maybe things aren't the same there. But in the US this is very much a stereotype that becomes problematic when it's the only form of representation black women get in these movies.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I grew up in the deep south, but none of the euphemisms in this woman's speech are exclusive to black women at all and is a manner of speaking of generally anyone women in the areas of Mississippi and Lousiaian where I grew up.

More importantly, I am sincerely curious as to why anyone would assume that this type of expression is negative in general or if they're prepared to tell women who speak like this that they're wrong for doing so.
fried chicken and watermelon aren't exclusive either fam.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Because she's Frozones wife and that was the natural evolution of the conversation.

Your post is reaching.

His quote isn't a conversation. It's an answer to a question about whether or not Honey will be seen in the movie. There is no logical reason for him to mention that Frozone is the first black walk-around character at Disneyland if he didn't create Honey to also be black. He made that statement very specifically because it wouldn't apply to Honey if she wasn't black. There were other PoC walk-around characters at Disneyland before Frozone. They just weren't black.

There's nothing reaching about my post or the quote.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
You think it was a black voice actress secretly playing a sassy white woman or something?

She's black.

Us: "For him to say that about what is clearly a black woman's voice is pretty tone deaf"

Yall: "So you're saying he's racist? White woman can't speak like that? How do you even know she's black?"

fucking stop

Damn

Who knew that reading is fucking fundamental

I ain't tryna be aggressive towards you, just the other motherfuckers who don't read

no, we're the real racists. don't you see?!

We clearly need to put away our picket fences and boycotts that we so obviously had ready because muhfuckas keep reacting as if we said death to Pixar

No one is buying your "concern" about a black woman. Like Lotus wrote "transparent".

It honestly annoys me. Why can't there be a discussion without resorting to intellectually dishonest talking points? Folks can disagree and discuss without resorting to that.
Posts like these are the reason we can't have a proper discussion about it.
What the fuck.

enlighten us as to what kind of representation he could be talking about
He's not the one saying that though. Thats the author. Did you even read what you quoted?

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck.

He's not the one saying that though. Thats the author. Did you even read what you quoted?
We've been having a proper discussion

You have come into this conversation wrong, been told you are wrong, by multiple people, and continue to not understand why

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Them yelling at each other is the entire point of the scene. Unless Frozone's disorganization was important character development. It's the juxtaposition of a super hero having a domestic moment about his costume. They are both irritated, that's the joke.

fucking stop

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. LOL .You can't pull color on shit this trivial. Considering the argument is over whether people are reading too much into it.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck.
You're not trying to have any type of discussion here. You think everyone should agree with what you believe and questioning your motivation when discussing black women is perfectly valid.
Excluding this discussion, when have you ever defended black women against stereotyping/racism?

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
READ. THE. THREAD.

Example:

I noticed you're in the UK, Venom. Maybe things aren't the same there. But in the US this is very much a stereotype that becomes problematic when it's the only form of representation black women get in these movies.
But you also have other women of different colour speaking like that both in the UK and USA. Thats my whole fucking point. If non black people speak like that as well, how can people she is definitely a black character using only that as evidence.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Them yelling at each other is the entire point of the scene. Unless Frozone's disorganization was important character development. It's the juxtaposition of a super hero having a domestic moment about his costume. They are both irritated, that's the joke.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. LOL .You can't pull color on shit this trivial. Considering the argument is over whether people are reading too much into it.
thanks for explaining the joke. none of us were able to grasp on why it was funny. too bad it's completely aside the point

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you also have other women of different colour speaking like that both in the UK and USA. Thats my whole fucking point. If non black people speak like that as well, how can people she is definitely a black character using only that as evidence.

fried chicken and watermelon aren't exclusive either fam.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
You're not trying to have any type of discussion here. You think everyone should agree with what you believe and questioning your motivation when discussing black women is perfectly valid.
Excluding this discussion, when have you ever defended black women against stereotyping/racism?
What the fuck? I'm the only one trying to actually have a disussion about if we are 100% sure the character is black. There's no proof.

Also I work in HR for Amazon by day and I am a Door Supervisor by night so I come across drunken racism on a near nightly basis and yes I do defend it every single time because racism is something that should be fucking stamped out.

But to stamp it out people need to actually go after people commuting it. Not reach with threads like these for no reason.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Take a step back from this specific topic and think about stereotypes. Stereotypes of all manner. About men. Women. Different races and cultures. Sub-cultures. Now how many of those steroetypes are exclusive to just that one type of person? None of them.

Stereotypes do not need to be exclusive to be stereotypes. That's not how they are qualified.

Oct 25, 2017
Man listen to her voice in the American release and try saying she is any race other than black

So would it be racist if we saw a small scene of her and she's white while having that voice? If anything, I'd think that would be pretty progressive.

Actually, I thought science has debunked that whole "white voice, black voice" thing and it's almost entirely regional rather than biological. I feel like characters that have "mismatched voices" would help acceptance and stop shit like "hey, you talk white." Could also destigmatize accent jokes, which is always a plus.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
How often are those women of different color who speak like that portrayed in movies?

How often are women who speak like that portrayed as black women in movies?

That's the thing about stereotypes. Where I grew up, people are gonna see a black man having an argument with his off-screen sassy wife who's using AAVE and they're going to assume she's a black woman, and apply whatever image they have for that stereotype to her. And since there isn't enough representation of black women in our media, it's going to reinforce those stereotypes because there's nothing else to balance it out.

It doesn't matter if she's hypothetically not black. Doesn't matter if it's intentional. Doesn't matter if the scene is funny. What I just described is still going to happen.

And people are gonna feel certain ways about that.

Also, people are responding to you the way they are because they are trying to express how this affects them based on their lived experiences, and you seem to be doing everything in your power to dismiss what they're saying, and then complaining about their tone.

Example:
What the fuck? I'm the only one trying to actually have a disussion about if we are 100% sure the character is black. There's no proof.
You're right, you're the only one having this discussion. Everyone else is having a different discussion, and you keep jumping into it to make it about this character's hypothetical skin color.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Also I work in HR for Amazon by day and I am a Door Supervisor by night so I come across drunken racism on a near nightly basis and yes I do defend it every single time because racism is something that should be fucking stamped out.

But to stamp it out people need to actually go after people commuting it. Not reach with threads like these for no reason.
I have never seen you in any threads that have to do with race/racism, yet this is the one you choose to participate in?
People finding a stereotype of the "sassy black woman" problematic is your big issue?
Transparent.
You think that Frozone's wife isn't black? The character is voiced by a black woman and she's married to a black man, you really think Pixar envisioned her as a some other race? You're the one reaching here.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Take a step back from this specific topic and think about stereotypes. Stereotypes of all manner. About men. Women. Different races and cultures. Sub-cultures. Now how many of those steroetypes are exclusive to just that one type of person? None of them.

Stereotypes do not need to be exclusive to be stereotypes. That's not how they are qualified.
I'm not trying to say they are.

I'm trying to say this.

If a stereotype isn't exclusive to something, how can people then try to use that said stereotype as evidence for the particular thing it's not exclusive to?

Basically

Stereotype: Sassy black woman, said stereotype isn't exclusive to black women because people of other colour use a sassy voice also.

Character: sounds like a sassy woman.

People: That's racist! Even though a sassy voice has already been established not to be exclusive to black women.

Do you understand what I mean? There's no evidence whatsoever.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Notice how the thread went from a mostly decent discussion on how people can feel about this subject before one person threw it off the rails

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thanks for explaining the joke. none of us were able to grasp on why it was funny. too bad it's completely aside the point

Not at all, her voice tone is the crux of this conversion. Some people are try to sell it's due to racial stereotyping versus being in tone with the joke. So it appears to me some people seem to be oblivious to that connection.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made the same point. I don't think it was racially motivated. I do think it reinforces the "sassy black wife" stereotype, and that asking why the director finds that amusing is worth talking about. At no point in this thread have I argued that Bird is racist.

Oh...disliking pervasive black stereotypes being used onscreen for comedy is a whoooooollllleeee other thing.

That's not what this thread is about (sorry, I didn't read the entire thread so I missed what people's stances were and that it went a whole other way)

His reason for not having the wife on screen is sound (and not racially motivated)

I can understand why people get offended when they watch black produced/acted tv shows in the 90's/2000's or watch Madea movies today...or when white people lean into those pervasive stereotypes.

I mean, it easily could have been a stereotypical white nagging, overbearing wife (think of Mrs Kravitz from Bewitched)...there are many variations of this throughout the decade.

This type of black woman/gf/wife character is even played up by black women themselves on reality shows...I'm afraid it's not going away. Especially when black producers/directors/writers/actors themselves see the comedy in this type of character and use it for comedy in their work

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I mean, I sort of agree the gag works better without her appearing on screen? I guess he could have worded his response a little more tactfully though.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I have never seen you in any threads that have to do with race/racism, yet this is the one you choose to participate in?
People finding a stereotype of the "sassy black woman" problematic is your big issue?
Transparent.
You think that Frozone's wife isn't black? The character is voiced by a black woman and she's married to a black man, you really think Pixar envisioned her as a some other race? You're the one reaching here.
The threads I participate in are neither here nor there and have NOTHING to do with you.

Also so you're trying to say black actors don't voice people of other skin colour, black people only marry black people and that people reinforcing harmful stereotypes Is somehow a good thing but yet I'm the one reaching?

Ok, time for me to go bed.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Notice how the thread went from a mostly decent discussion on how people can feel about this subject before one person threw it off the rails
"If you don't agree with my opinion then you clearly don't want to have a proper discussion."
The threads I participate in are neither here nor there and have NOTHING to do with you.

Also so you're trying to say black actors don't voice people of other skin colour, black people only marry black people and that people reinforcing harmful stereotypes Is somehow a good thing but yet I'm the one reaching?

Ok, time for me to go bed.
As Lotus and I stated, transparent.