Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Leveling gambler to see who can get to 12 first is so exciting

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Yeah, the camera on the world map is atrocious. Some maps tend to be too "crowded" with colorful elements (like the dungeon above the first city) and enemies like to sneak in said elements. Add to that the framerate, the aliasing and the micro freezes and it's sometimes hard to avoid things.

The best way I found to farm (even late game) was around the town of chapter 2 with insect consumables. At night, a chain of 4 gets ~250JP and 2K xp. With the freelancer JP+ skills, a team of berserkers that can kill all enemies in one or two attacks and some skills like the Pictomancer one, it's just mindless A-button mashing to get to very high level and level up every job.
Oh yeah. I remember that dungeon. Where you fight the frog. This was also very colorful. To much bloom effect. Also had the issue when enemies blend to much into the environment.

Or they will ambush you. Such no fun. The game looks worse in docked mode then in handheld mode. And I also noticed the delay in pressing buttons.

Thanks for the tip. I will remember this. For farming JP later when I reach that part.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Holy crap, I beat
Castor
by just having my Bard sing It Hurts So Much four times, then my two Thief classes both used Godspeed twice, and that was it. Boss dead.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
This game is super difficult for me on Casual😬
Any general tips for... everything?

Right now I just had my ass beat by Bernard excruciatingly slowly while I could barely hurt him and he whittled away all my resources. Before that the previous boss destroyed me 4 times.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Right now I just had my ass beat by Bernard excruciatingly slowly while I could barely hurt him and he whittled away all my resources. Before that the previous boss destroyed me 4 times.
Well first off what type of setup are you using? What are your job levels and character levels? I played on hard, so I'm not sure just how much easier casual would be, but some general tips
Defaulting early battle is often very helpful against bosses in general. Obviously you need to balance it with healing, but don't be afraid to default when you can
I think I remember this boss having minions, in general when bosses have minions considering clearing them out first.
If the boss defaults, you should do likewise with you're DPS characters. A boss defaulting will take less damage plus it helps you prepare for their rush of attacks since it's also a defend command for you as well. Basically save your attacks for when the boss is vulnerable
If you have any of the attack items the boss is weak against, consider using those. THey do a good amount of damage
If you haven't already checking the bosses weakness helps. If you don't have anyone using freelancer as a subclass you can just use a magnifying glass item to get the examine effect

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Bernard's tough if you let him snowball against you. To defeat him quickly, I'd recommend having a Beastmaster catch a bunch of Minotaurs in that dungeon. Each one would deal ~2k+ to him, so having 2 Beastmasters each unleash 4 at once would kill him effortlessly.

There's other things you can do, of course. He's weak to Earth, so Vanguard's special will deal ~5k damage to him (so, Seth or Gloria), and their other Earth-based attack will do good damage as well.

(Monk's really powerful too with Invigorates -> Firebird -> Flames of War, but Bernard counters Martial Arts, so doing more than 1-2 actions at once with a Monk is dangerous.)

Oct 25, 2017

IMO, the most basic power boost in the game is that there's a big power inflection on each Job around the 7/8/9 range where it starts to really depend on fiddling with your gear. Jumping around jobs and having a lot of jobs st 4/5/6 rather than higher can lead to generally feeling underpowered.

Gear matters a ton, and it rewards being the right amount of fiddly with speeds and weights.

Barring a few super obvious shortcomings (grind cheese in the prologue or a few stuff with BM), the game balance seems pretty good on Hard. The difficulty has taken off consistently, but singular jobs, job passive combos, party synergies, or gear tweaking all take off exponentially to let the player keep up with the curve. It reminds me of Resonance of Fate how there's so much depth and it is up to the player to decide which parts of the buffet to utilize with more and more being needed as you progress.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bernard's tough if you let him snowball against you. To defeat him quickly, I'd recommend having a Beastmaster catch a bunch of Minotaurs in that dungeon. Each one would deal ~2k+ to him, so having 2 Beastmasters each unleash 4 at once would kill him effortlessly.

There's other things you can do, of course. He's weak to Earth, so Vanguard's special will deal ~5k damage to him (so, Seth or Gloria), and their other Earth-based attack will do good damage as well.

(Monk's really powerful too with Invigorates -> Firebird -> Flames of War, but Bernard counters Martial Arts, so doing more than 1-2 actions at once with a Monk is dangerous.)
Oh yeah, unleashing minotaurs against him works really well. Can't believe I forgot that given I used that strat against him myself lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About four hours now, in the Valley of Sighs, not really feeling it.

The characters are just really, really boring, in a way that deliberately cliche Tiz and friends aren't. Seth has the mystery of his resurrection and it's Gloria's job, but Elvis tags along because why not and Adelle's just being paid. I just really don't care about what's happening yet and while Bravely is good for its twists those twists were only good because they subverted an already interesting story.

I don't hate the game or anything, everything in the first map was a snooze until the first boss pulled it together, and now the Valley of Sighs is actually a nice difficulty spike where playing wrong can get you rocked. I'm just not really engaging with the job swapping and that's usually the really fun addictive part where I'm micromanaging everything to create overpowered gods.

It's a weird take but despite this I don't want to drop it, but I can't really play it for more than like an hour or two at a time, and that's not much for an RPG where I'm usually fused to my armchair by the time I finish.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Bloooodddyyyy hell! Godspeed stacked with multiple buffs is the most insane broken shit lmao.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was wondering what the "silly but broken" job was gonna be this time around and
Pictomancer
Definitely feels like it lol
Bonus is that the outfit looks amazing on Gloria and Adelle

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for those tips above everyone, I'll see what I can incorporate!

One thing that I didn't see touched upon was what weapons are best for which jobs? I've been pretty consistent with growing one job fur each character (not switching jobs a whole lot) but I'm confused about how to go about re equipping weapons once I've changed a job. I've started using the "automatically equip" button but it equipped one character with a normal Spear when I had a Mythril Spear available that was overall objectively better🤷🏾‍♂️

So basically, when I change jobs do I have to shuffle weapons around for everyone each time?

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017

One thing that I didn't see touched upon was what weapons are best for which jobs? I've been pretty consistent with growing one job fur each character (not switching jobs a whole lot) but I'm confused about how to go about re equipping weapons once I've changed a job. I've started using the "automatically equip" button but it equipped one character with a normal Spear when I had a Mythril Spear available that was overall objectively better🤷🏾‍♂️

So basically, when I change jobs do I have to shuffle weapons around for everyone each time?
each job has different rank in weapons. generally try to use weapon type with a or s rank for the job you're using as those will have a bit higher multiplier than b rank. later on you might use lower rank ones if your setup needs those
as for why auto equip use weaker spear instead of mythril, my guess is equipping mythril will put it over the weight limit?

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
each job has different rank in weapons. generally try to use weapon type with a or s rank for the job you're using as those will have a bit higher multiplier than b rank. later on you might use lower rank ones if your setup needs those
as for why auto equip use weaker spear instead of mythril, my guess is equipping mythril will put it over the weight limit?

Where do you see what rank a weapon is for a job?
I still have that Mythril Spear equipped and it doesn't say I'm overloaded 🤷🏾‍♂️

I was trying to play the game with minimal questions but for how much it seems I'm failing on the easy mode it looks like I'm missing some fundamentals🤣

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
How long does Sloan stick around? I'm in the prologue and have to go get Gloria but I kind of want to abuse how strong he is and go around levelling jobs and foraging for a bit. But I also don't want to over level the other party members too much since Gloria will be behind when I get her.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

If you press Y on the job screen, it'll cycle between information, one of which is a table showing a job's proficiencies with each weapon type.

How long does Sloan stick around? I'm in the prologue and have to go get Gloria but I kind of want to abuse how strong he is and go around levelling jobs and foraging for a bit. But I also don't want to over level the other party members too much since Gloria will be behind when I get her.

He'll stick around until the end of the Prologue. You're fine to go get Gloria.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

He sticks around for a while after that.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, my first 12hr exploration, I wonder what I'll get!

*only gets 100pg and a Small JP Orb*

Awwww... :(

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Bit behind and only at the end of chapter 1 because finishing up other games but apparently going by posts every other class is broken lol

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ordered this last Thursday from Walmart and it still hasn't shipped. No movement at all. Pretty annoyed as I was looking forward to playing it.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, new battle music. The new normal song is fantastic of course, but I just did the Wiswald asterisk fight and that song was a straight banger. Made the multi-phase fight seem super epic.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
For those who leveled up freelancer at max, does it brake the game or it's ok to have an 1.7x ?

It doesn't break the game at all. Most of the time -- outside of dedicated JP farming -- you aren't even going to want both passives equipped, because there's better ones, and the JP you earn outside of JP farming is comparatively small.

What it does do is make JP farming nearly twice as fast, and JP orbs that much better.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Got the beast master and gambler jobs today. That was one awesome ride. I didn't expect the card game to become a boss fight (and an annoying one at that with the bard putting my healer to sleep every time) i eventually equiped a sleep immunity gear and still had some trouble but my bard job came in handy for magic defense. The beast master dungeon was pretty great as well because of a secret exit that lead to a boss in the desert. The normal mobs are pretty easy and I'm over leveled a bit but the bosses do give you a hard time.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Just did the first asterisk bosses and I'm convinced the demos were just really badly put together, because the actual game is just so fun. The difficulty has been a lot better than in the demo, the areas in the prologue do a much better job of introducing the world, the characters are more interesting. I feel like I'm back playing BD for the first time on the 3DS. Side note: that was almost 10 years ago, wtf.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving it so far but I've noticed some performance issues.... Hopefully they get patched.

This is my first Bravely game and I kinda explored a bit before going for Gloria and the result was quick lol

Oct 25, 2017
Just did the first asterisk bosses and I'm convinced the demos were just really badly put together, because the actual game is just so fun. The difficulty has been a lot better than in the demo, the areas in the prologue do a much better job of introducing the world, the characters are more interesting. I feel like I'm back playing BD for the first time on the 3DS. Side note: that was almost 10 years ago, wtf.

The downside of a demo is that any customization is totally moot. I couldn't really get into either demo but had had faith that I'd enjoy the game a lot more building up my party over dozens of hours, and I'm sure as shit enjoying it a ton now.

Last edited:

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
It doesn't break the game at all. Most of the time -- outside of dedicated JP farming -- you aren't even going to want both passives equipped, because there's better ones, and the JP you earn outside of JP farming is comparatively small.

What it does do is make JP farming nearly twice as fast, and JP orbs that much better.
Good, I'm still in the prologue and didn't get any chain tutorial, is there one or I just use an item as a lure?

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, if anyone wants to help add some data (like job abilities, character information) to the wiki, it would be really grand for us all. Anyone can edit pages to add details (user or guest). Some of the job information I've already filled out, but I'm still only in chapter 1. People further might be able to fill out the rest of the details if they want. It's really easy to edit too. Just go to the page you want (for example the Thief job), then click on edit at the top of the page or edit in the individual sections on the page and then fill out the details.

bravely.neoseeker.com

Bravely Wiki

Welcome to the Bravely wiki, the most comprehensive source of information on Bravely. The Bravely wiki is a community run wiki that anyone can contribute to.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Good, I'm still in the prologue and didn't get any chain tutorial, is there one or I just use an item as a lure?

Just use a monster treat for whatever type of monster is in your vicinity, and every on-field enemy of that family will trigger a chain of 2-5 battles, with a JP multiplier the more battles are triggered.

Chained battles also seem to drop monster treats more often, because mine've always been self-sustaining.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Combine Raw Power (10% boost in physical str per 1 BP) with maxed out physical strength/attack buffs and x3 Godspeed strike from the theif job and you literally kill bosses in matter of seconds lol.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
But the Beastmaster thing isn't a job combination. It is just a single ability off of them that seems like a genuine bug ("COUNT" rather than "COUNT DISTINCT"). There's nothing remotely comparable to this across FF5, FFG, or BD1.

It being distinct would be in line with the other job abilities, and still probably on the strong end. This genuinely feels like a coding error / bug.
I don't think there's a database within the game, it could be a simple increment. Though, they put the increment on EACH enemy and they had to do it for EACH new enemy you cross into. It seems like an error spec.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I beat both the Bard and the Beast Master by landing a first turn poison then struggling to keep HP topped up while dealing with the non-boss monsters. It became a war of attrition I won through chip damage by accident both times.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Whats up with statuses like poison and sleep? Why have I not hit either of them once?

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Huge fan of the first two games. Some of my favorite jrpg combat of all time.

I'm only in the middle or so of the first chapter so things could be changing right around the corner but I'm so upset right now I'm going to get this off my chest.

1. The effective encounter rate in this game is completely insane. I'm always very concerned when I hear about a game I could potentially love having a symbol system. It almost always translates to a significantly higher encounter rate than you would see with random encounters. But here we went from the player having a practically unheard of level of control over encounter rate to something so absurdly over the top it makes me think my game might be bugged.

2. Mana economy is even worse than the first two games and it was pretty awful there. Everything costs probably upwards of triple what it should all things considered. My black mage is dry after a few (sometimes a couple...) fights and that's with both mana passives I have access to. Ethers literally give him one additional spell cast. Like, lol? Monk abilities costing as much health as they do is silly too. Was the game playtested with a quarter of the effective encounter rate or something?

3. I'm a pretty big fan of Octopath Traveller but extending the elemental wheel concept (already one of the most tedious things in all of gaming) to such an extreme was one of the reasons why I felt that game's combat was such a gigantic downgrade over Bravely combat. It isn't quite a tedious here for a number of reasons, but it might be more frustrating. No longer able to be somewhat justified as part of that game's (tedious) gimmick, I'm just sitting here wondering how anyone could possibly think this was a good idea.

4. Speaking of how anyone could possibly think something was a good idea WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE COUNTERS. No, seriously, WHAT THE FUCK. WHATWHATWHAT THETHETHE FUCKFUCKFUCK. Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy???

Only the first and potentially the fourth are crippling issues, but you add everything together (along with other things I'm not mentioning here) and my whole experience so far as been one of tedium negation. Instead of focusing on cool abilities I get with this cool new class I just got, everything is about how do I minimize all the bullshit the game is flooding me with. The first two Bravely Default games were all about quality of life. Pretty much everything I've encountered so far is all about making everything as tedious of humanly possible.

Game better get real good real soon because right now this is the most crushing disappointment of my gaming life and I've played Alundra 2.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Beat the super hard snake thing in the oasis area in chapter 1. Was pretty tough, thankfully once I got into a good rhythm of keeping the bard defensive buffs up I was able to just slowly chip away at it.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Huge fan of the first two games. Some of my favorite jrpg combat of all time.

I'm only in the middle or so of the first chapter so things could be changing right around the corner but I'm so upset right now I'm going to get this off my chest.

1. The effective encounter rate in this game is completely insane. I'm always very concerned when I hear about a game I could potentially love having a symbol system. It almost always translates to a significantly higher encounter rate than you would see with random encounters. But here we went from the player having a practically unheard of level of control over encounter rate to something so absurdly over the top it makes me think my game might be bugged.

2. Mana economy is even worse than the first two games and it was pretty awful there. Everything costs probably upwards of triple what it should all things considered. My black mage is dry after a few (sometimes a couple...) fights and that's with both mana passives I have access to. Ethers literally give him one additional spell cast. Like, lol? Monk abilities costing as much health as they do is silly too. Was the game playtested with a quarter of the effective encounter rate or something?

3. I'm a pretty big fan of Octopath Traveller but extending the elemental wheel concept (already one of the most tedious things in all of gaming) to such an extreme was one of the reasons why I felt that game's combat was such a gigantic downgrade over Bravely combat. It isn't quite a tedious here for a number of reasons, but it might be more frustrating. No longer able to be somewhat justified as part of that game's (tedious) gimmick, I'm just sitting here wondering how anyone could possibly think this was a good idea.

4. Speaking of how anyone could possibly think something was a good idea WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE COUNTERS. No, seriously, WHAT THE FUCK. WHATWHATWHAT THETHETHE FUCKFUCKFUCK. Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy???

Only the first and potentially the fourth are crippling issues, but you add everything together (along with other things I'm not mentioning here) and my whole experience so far as been one of tedium negation. Instead of focusing on cool abilities I get with this cool new class I just got, everything is about how do I minimize all the bullshit the game is flooding me with. The first two Bravely Default games were all about quality of life. Pretty much everything I've encountered so far is all about making everything as tedious of humanly possible.

Game better get real good real soon because right now this is the most crushing disappointment of my gaming life and I've played Alundra 2.
I sympathise with you as a fan of the old Bravely games. Below are a few things that I've done to make this less tedious.

1. Use "Warding Light" item to basically make your characters invisible to the enemies. You can buy this item in Chapter 1, and can also get in the prologue via quests, foraging, cutting grass, etc. I spent a bunch of my early money towards this as I hate fighting random battles I don't want to. It can still be annoying even with this as the dungeons have very narrow pathways, and there are also treasure chests with battles (another annoying mechanic because of its higher occurrence). Also, I've heard you get other items later that make enemies run away from you, so that might be even better.

2. The Mana economy can be helped via some passives like Solar/Lunar Powered which restores 4% MP every turn. You can also use Freelancer "Treat" which restores 10% MP. This can help, but yeah, the economy is overall worse. Buy lots of tents and mini-ethers and also use Foraging to get more of these items.

3. Yeah, the counters are everywhere here, and the worst thing is there is no way to see this until the enemy uses them. Some enemies are basically "Counter Any Ability", which feels like the developers having a laugh. Having said that, we can break the game equally, and with stuff like Beastmaster being able to get crazy strong very early in the game, most things should become one turn kills.

Hopefully this can make stuff less tedious so you can focus on the good stuff, like figuring out job combos, etc.

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
Best Buy order still hasn't shipped. This would be the third game I've bought from them recently that got delayed almost a whole week. Looks like I'll start buying elsewhere unfortunately.

At least they sent the preorder bonus on time. /s

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I know this isn't much consolation now, but I can say that after a while MP stops being much of an issue. You get a number of powerful tools that both help mitigate the problem and recover more if it, both in terms of passive skills and active abilities. I'm using Black Mage in Chapter 4 right now just because I like the outfit and it's still pulling ridiculous damage numbers, and that's with my casting spells every random encounter and going ham on bosses. It's very difficult for me to run dry, and very easy for me to top it back up- and I rarely even have to do that. Almost all of the casters IMO are extremely compelling options.

Yeah, the counters are pretty irritating early on. I enjoy them now because I like to strategize against them, but they're punishing and it's annoying not knowing what you're going to be dealing with before going in. I assume this is why it's so easy to level jobs, so that you can have plenty of options.

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
you can access ra/ga-tier spell as early as prologue here, while in bravely default is as early as what, chapter 2 for ra-spell?
you'll have far more option in mana recovering/reduction in early game than in previous games
even if most spells have a bit higher cost, it can be easily being mitigated as further as you go in the game
also cure is cheaper here than in previous games lol