Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
tenor.gif

YoEssay

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I see it as pandering sometimes, but it's honestly whatever to me when companies do it. I'm all for acceptance.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty late on this news. Same shit happened over a month ago when naughty dog, gamestop, and everyone else did it. News flash, most gamers are fucking trash.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hâte this kind of attitude we see everywhere.
Who cares if you're gay, black, ginger,fat, woman, religious etc...
Can't we just have fun?

I'm going back to the perfect world in my mind now...
Have a nice day!

Comments like these leads to the increased oppression of gamers.
Not just a Facebook problem either, it seems.

Edit The second one is apparently a sarcastic reference to a similar topic made on here recently, so fine. Let's ignore that. The first one is genuine by all appearances.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Gamer Culture is toxic. Because the most vocal of this people are young testosterone infused organisms.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why people keep bashing gaming community? This is not a isolated case. Gaming, fotball (when a black guy make goal people trow a banana in the camp), politic... At least here in Brazil its a stupid showcase of racism. Even one of our candidates for president is racist and homophobic and anti-LGBTQ.
Thank god I exclude my facebook. This place is literally a no mans land without law. Very depressing place.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
When Pride Month ended here, I briefly considered switching back to a non-rainbow avatar, but I'm glad I didn't. Same with many others on Era that I still see rocking rainbows: good on ya. With so many people like this out there, we need all the expressions of pride we can get.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling why anyone would be offended by an action that only promotes inclusion. People just suck.

Kamion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
This says nothing about "gamers" just people. Facebook is full of hate speech. Look at the people making these comments all over the place and tell me being a gamer is the important factor.

On that post for example "Well, definitely don't like this. Why pander to the howling minority? You think its progressive? Is that why so many other companies have to? Disgusting. Not following here or Youtube anymore." - Former Preacher at Romney Church of Christ. But you think playing video games is what influences his attitudes the most?

If you really think this is about gamers being hateful, you are ignoring the world at large. They would post this hate all over facebook, because its acceptable within their social circles.

I mean you're right. Everyone can be a gamer which is kind of the whole point. This is not a problem of the gaming community in general but society as a whole.

I think two of the reasons this seems so concentrated in the gaming community are

1. As someone already said it's a "young" hobby mostly and that's just ignorance.
2. Gaming is primarily marketed at a core audience (straight white males enjoying (gun) violence though that's a bit generalising you know what I mean) that's maybe more inclined to have these views?

I dunno. I just always feel I see this shit more in the gaming community than for example in replies to cinema reviews. (Like imagine if Call Me By Your Name was a game)

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
My personal theory is that gaming attracts a high proportion of young and/or immature males and that's why we always see a lot of this intolerant, racist or misogynistic bullshit.

I'd say you're pretty spot on.

It's the brazenness of these people that really surprises me. It just shows how insular their lives are if they can be that open and no one in their friends list would raise an eyebrow at such comments. Trash is trash and even though there has been big strides in recent years there is still so much to do and just shows why we need to have events like PRIDE.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Unfortunately other communities are far worse. Especially sports communities. That's why no active soccer player in Europe had a coming-out so far.

Fieran

Oct 29, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Eurogamers handling this perfectly, and there is a lot of positive comments there as well, people just focus on the negative more as per usual.

But yeah, the toxic side of the gaming crowd really is still too big, hopefully it continues to shrink with time though.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer's replies to hate are wonderful.

Gave them a follow on Facebook to help counteract the shitheads. Eurogamer is good shit, should have done it by now, anyway.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
On other news: water is wet.

Any company that changes their logo to something with a pride flag will get their comment seccion filled with comments like these, its not only gamers. People are shit everywhere.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Eurogamer's replies to hate are wonderful.

Gave them a follow on Facebook to help counteract the shitheads. Eurogamer is good shit, should have done it by now, anyway.
Well can you post some of them, have deactivated FB, so it would have been nice to see those.

Anyway, I have no problem with this, but aren't they pretty late to the party? I mean pride month was like 2 months ago, but if their boring logo is going to have more colors on it then good for them : )

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I loved Eurogamer's retorts and replies to hateful and supportive comments.

Here is an interesting comment:

Caleb Shane Conley Well, definitely don't like this. Why pander to the howling minority? You think its progressive? Is that why so many other companies have to? Disgusting. Not following here or Youtube anymore.

There are active members on ERA who support similar ideology disguised as sensible business practice.

Let that sink in.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is amazing to me that people could be so brazen as to use their real names and profiles to be so vile. To be OK with their friends and family seeing this is beyond me.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Also it's Pride Weekend in Brighton where Eurogamer is located and a few of the staff are probably there having fun.

But one thing you failed to mention I love about this is EG's replies to these with GIFs. They don't mind people unsubscribing because of this and that's great. Good riddance.

Here's the link if you want to enjoy the show. I did. https://www.facebook.com/42657691753/posts/10157400937226754/
Yeah fair play Eurogamer. Really nice replies to the assholes with the trash comments.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This also happened not too long ago when Naughty Dog uploaded a Pride-themed logo. For all these people constantly whine about "snowflakes", the irony that they're so triggered by the sight of a rainbow of all things seems to be lost on them.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sexists, racists, assholes in general.
In fact it doesn't even stop with the gamer community. Apparently a lot of people are like that.
I have seen this on every comment section of companies that did that. The only one where I didn't see any negative comments were on Media Molecule.

It really sucks that there are so many homophobic people on this planet.
That's because nobody follows Media Molecule. :todd:

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
The worst comments aren't even the "fuck you I'm unliking this" ones, they're the "I respect all people regardless of sexuality but I don't like this being shoved down our throats" and "Shouldn't Eurogamer remain neutral about this issue?" ones that turn sexual orientation into a political issue and take the nonsensical "both sides" approach with it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
On other news: water is wet.

Any company that changes their logo to something with a pride flag will get their comment seccion filled with comments like these, its not only gamers. People are shit everywhere.
I know this might be annoying, but can we please stop normalizing and deflecting this?

At least from my Point of View (privately and professionally) it's absolutely fine to call out the gaming community for this. I've seen lots of baseless hate on the internet, of course, but it doesn't help to instantly go "But there are other fan groups, too!". Whenever you see this shit these days, the chance is incredibly high "gamers" are involved. It's on every gaming website, blog and forum, people who are hunted on Twitter are, for the most part, involved in either the gaming scene or very near neighbors like movies. The bigger names known in this scene all rose up during "Gamergate" or gaming related incidents. They branch out.

I get where you're coming from, I see this all day, but "It's not only gamers!" serves absolutely no purpose in this fight. The "gamers" scene is where all of us on this forum come from, and it's the "gamers scene" we should keep an eye on, it's the "gamers scene" which is our turf and we should take responsibility for people shitting our place up with this crap. People can be shit everywhere, that's damn right, but in this case, on a gamers' website with gamers' audience and gamers' comments, I feel that's an incredibly dishonest and ignorant argument to make. It's gamers.

Idk maybe I'm rambling, but I read this every single time in every single gaming related discussion about this.

Kamion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Anyway, I have no problem with this, but aren't they pretty late to the party? I mean pride month was like 2 months ago, but if their boring logo is going to have more colors on it then good for them : )

It's pride weekend in the town their offices are at. I think it's also Europride in Amsterdam but I'm not sure

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least some sites have the balls not to leave politics at the door.

Also, pretty pathetic to see people being mad at love.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
The word gamer is so trash now lol, just absolute scum associated with it.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know this might be annoying, but can we please stop normalizing and deflecting this?

At least from my Point of View (privately and professionally) it's absolutely fine to call out the gaming community for this. I've seen lots of baseless hate on the internet, of course, but it doesn't help to instantly go "But there are other fan groups, too!". Whenever you see this shit these days, the chance is incredibly high "gamers" are involved. It's on every gaming website, blog and forum, people who are hunted on Twitter are, for the most part, involved in either the gaming scene or very near neighbors like movies. The bigger names known in this scene all rose up during "Gamergate" or gaming related incidents. They branch out.

I get where you're coming from, I see this all day, but "It's not only gamers!" serves absolutely no purpose in this fight. The "gamers" scene is where all of us on this forum come from, and it's the "gamers scene" we should keep an eye on, it's the "gamers scene" which is our turf and we should take responsibility for people shitting our place up with this crap. People can be shit everywhere, that's damn right, but in this case, on a gamers' website with gamers' audience and gamers' comments, I feel that's an incredibly dishonest and ignorant argument to make. It's gamers.

Idk maybe I'm rambling, but I read this every single time in every single gaming related discussion about this.

Trust me, I understand what you're saying, after all this is a gaming centric forum. And GamerGate is still very fresh in the mind of most. But it just sometimes annoys me that some people act like gamers are the scorch of the earth and are the ones rallying behind the racist and homophobic movements.

And yeah, in this thread I'm wrong for saying what I did since the problem at hand is happening in a gaming site, so of course everyone is going to be a gamer in this context. It's just something that annoys me a bit in most of these threads.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trust me, I understand what you're saying, after all this is a gaming centric forum. And GamerGate is still very fresh in the mind of most. But it just sometimes annoys me that some people act like gamers are the scorch of the earth and are the ones rallying behind the racist and homophobic movements.

And yeah, in this thread I'm wrong for saying what I did since the problem at hand is happening in a gaming site, so of course everyone is going to be a gamer in this context. It's just something that annoys me a bit in most of these threads.
Well, I'd say there's a difference between gamers and Gamers. It's sort of like incels. There are people who play games and enjoy them, but then there are others who consider it to be their identity and act like they're a clearly-defined group like Muslims, blacks, etc. and that they can be targeted the same way, which is just not true.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
What does stay neutral even mean? There are 2 sides to equality? Also agree that people constantly hand waving the gaming communities toxic issues as "What about the fact that all communities are bad?" is part of the problem.

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
GayGames are starting in Paris.That's why.

Still, i'm very dispointed by some comments here. I though Area was a safe place, including maybee for gays. It's not. And when it comes to be aware of things hapening in the real world.... pfff!