• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Brexit really is going to be one of those things where history students in 100 years wonder how everyone involved was such a moron

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
So did any leavers make it in or...?

I mean I'm not complaining.

I genuinely hope so. As violently pro-remain as I am, I don't want this thread to just be an echo chamber if it can be helped.

That said, I'm sure I and others would continue to challenge the accuracy some of the more generous claims made my pro-leavers if they're like they were last time around.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming most of the rest of you are Brits living in Britain, has Brexit made you re-evaluate where you plan to live in the future. If so how far along are your plans?

I moved to Germany 6 years ago and couldn't be happier with that decision.

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming most of the rest of you are Brits living in Britain, has Brexit made you re-evaluate where you plan to live in the future. If so how far along are your plans?

I was always open to moving abroad without having any firm plan to, and I'm probably still in the same boat.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Lived abroad a few years ago and if everything goes really bad that is an option, but we like being near our grandparents - we want our children to know them as people, not randoms they might see once a year, as a couple on both sides can't really travel anymore.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Particularly, the fact that it appears to me that the EU is far too interested in supporting corporations (see the European Commission planning to create a law which forces websites to host a "Content ID" like system, or the fact that the full study on piracy was hidden for 4 years).

HM:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/aug/30/apple-pay-back-taxes-eu-ruling-ireland-state-aid
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/04/amazon-eu-tax-irish-government-apple

Seems like to me the EU isn't always pro-corporations? Not sure what you're referring to.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I voted remain, but I am now firmly of the opinion we are leaving, so stop moaning, or remoaning ( I know cheesy) and lets get on with it

Not necessarily Brexit-specific, but do you think a modern democracy should discount the possibility of changing one's mind, disagreeing, protesting, etc? Surely it's the epitome of folly to follow through with something you know to be damaging just because you said you would?

If it were so black and white, surely the EU membership debate should have been put to bed forever when we signed up in the 70s? When would be an acceptable time to revisit the subject if/when we do leave?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not necessarily Brexit-specific, but do you think a modern democracy should discount the possibility of changing one's mind, disagreeing, protesting, etc? Surely it's the epitome of folly to follow through with something you know to be damaging just because you said you would?

If it were so black and white, surely the EU membership debate should have been put to bed forever when we signed up in the 70s? When would be an acceptable time to revisit the subject if/when we do leave?

Never get on a sinking ship with Olivomer, he will burn the lifeboats and open the hatches. :D

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

It has honestly made me consider living in Ireland, ideally before we're out and I lose my rights as an EU citizen (hoping Brits abroad will be allowed to stay). Unfortunately that means I have only a year and a half to build up a CV that will be attractive enough that I might get hired in a Sector (Museums) that doesn't really have the widest array of job openings, and I've only recently finished my Uni course. Ireland because it'd probably be the easiest EU nation for me to adjust to, which given my autism and limited palette (dear god do my tastebuds suck), is a major consideration for me.

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I voted remain, but I am now firmly of the opinion we are leaving, so stop moaning, or remoaning ( I know cheesy) and lets get on with it

I voted remain, and I am a firm believer of still fighting for our EU membership. Currently it looks like we are on track for a no deal Brexit, I don't even want to imagine what that would do to our economy.

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Very good points, and you are of course correct, there should be in normal circumstances all of the above, I am just sick of it, there are so many issues in our society that are now not getting any traction as Brexit is all encompassing, infact it made news the other day when at PMQ the commentator noted it took 12 mins before Brexit was raised, I want it sorted so. Education, NHS etc start gettting the main focus again

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I voted remain, and I am a firm believer of still fighting for our EU membership. Currently it looks like we are on track for a no deal Brexit, I don't even want to imagine what that would do to our economy.

That's the bit that terrifies me - we've somehow gone from a 52% win for Leave - where nobody really knew what they were voting for - to a head on crash scenario that I can't believe anyone with much common sense wants. All because of this 'will of the people' being used to powergrab.

Oilvomer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the bit that terrifies me - we've somehow gone from a 52% win for Leave - where nobody really knew what they were voting for - to a head on crash scenario that I can't believe anyone with much common sense wants. All because of this 'will of the people' being used to powergrab.

I honestly feel that there won't be a no deal scenario, firstly I don't see that getting through Parliament and secondly the tories are not that stupid

One would hope anyway

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Very good points, and you are of course correct, there should be in normal circumstances all of the above, I am just sick of it, there are so many issues in our society that are now not getting any traction as Brexit is all encompassing, infact it made news the other day when at PMQ the commentator noted it took 12 mins before Brexit was raised, I want it sorted so. Education, NHS etc start gettting the main focus again

How do you pay the bills for public services if these clowns crash the country to save the Tory party and their careers.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel that won't be a no deal, firstly I don't see that getting through Parliament and secondly the tories are not that stupid

One would hope anyway

I hoped we wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the EU, but there we go.

I do think there will be a last minute fudge of a deal, but this just makes all our ministers look idiotic beyond belief.

Oilvomer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing - if it happens the government will collapse before we leave. The Tories need a deal as badly as they claim the EU wants one.

This, and I am glad huw posted, as this reminded me, The Lib Dem's performance at the elections showed that the country as a whole does not have a huge appetite for a second referendum... other issues aside they were the party of no Brexit and it had little to no affect on their performance

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I hoped we wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the EU, but there we go.

I do think there will be a last minute fudge of a deal, but this just makes all our ministers look idiotic beyond belief.

People know they are fucking useless, that is why they are trailing behind a man prepared to spend 200 billion on missiles that he will lock away.

I feel like I'm living with a bunch of kamikaze pilots in the UK.

Polymath

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nothing - if it happens the government will collapse before we leave. The Tories need a deal as badly as they claim the EU wants one.

You're presuming a lot here but none of us knows what the future holds, we'll just have to see it play out. One thing I guarantee that would fix all this is to cancel Brexit, problem solved.

Oct 25, 2017
To follow from earlier; I'm happy to crack eggs and talk shop with a leaver, it's just particularly difficult to do so online

One thing that struck me just now was how brexit compares to the Iraq war, an odd comparison perhaps and maybe one already made in the other place. I see these as two phenomena that came about with popular support and disdain in seemingly equal measure. At some point the Iraq war fell out of public favour and forever dented that labour government's reputation, seemingly because people realised they weren't necessarily getting what they wanted, or what they had been told, and something far uglier had come about instead.

It seems very difficult to find someone who would argue strongly for the Iraq war nowadays, will the same be true of brexit?

Oct 25, 2017
They've gone to make trade deals with gaming-age.com

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Iraq war analogy is a good one. Despite the protests, it did have popular support at the time, and by a higher margin than Brexit. Although I favoured the diplomatic/UN/weapons inspector route, I didn't think things could get much worse than the situation with Saddam - so I didn't vigorously oppose the war.
Public opinion only changed when we realised what a mess it was and how we had no plan beyond "get rid of Saddam".
Most people assumed there was some sort of plan for post-Saddam and money to pay for rebuilding Iraq - but it turned out that no-one had thought that far ahead. It turned out that giving people the right to vote doesn't automatically provide a workable solution when the population is fundamentally split.

I think anti-Brexit opinion will rise as the impacts are felt. There's a limit to how far the public will accept "It's the EU's fault" just like there was a limit to "But Saddam was a really evil man".
I expect a lot of leavers will invent some alternative Brexit that might've worked, just like some people think there's a way we could've won the Iraq war without fucking up the country. But no-one will support the Brexit we get and May/Boris/Fox/Davis/Gove will have Blair-like reputation damage.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Brexit to me feels like a runaway train, and there is two tracks, one has one person on it and other has five people on it, which track do you send the train down? the one person being the current generation, the 5 people being the future

There is no stopping the train

Interestingly, the headline for Laurie Penny's article in the NewStatesman this week is "We are governed by Peter Pans who refuse to do the adult thing - look after the next generation"

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Iraq war analogy is a good one. Despite the protests, it did have popular support at the time, and by a higher margin than Brexit. Although I favoured the diplomatic/UN/weapons inspector route, I didn't think things could get much worse than the situation with Saddam - so I didn't vigorously oppose the war.
Public opinion only changed when we realised what a mess it was and how we had no plan beyond "get rid of Saddam".
Most people assumed there was some sort of plan for post-Saddam and money to pay for rebuilding Iraq - but it turned out that no-one had thought that far ahead. It turned out that giving people the right to vote doesn't automatically provide a workable solution when the population is fundamentally split.

I think anti-Brexit opinion will rise as the impacts are felt. There's a limit to how far the public will accept "It's the EU's fault" just like there was a limit to "But Saddam was a really evil man".
I expect a lot of leavers will invent some alternative Brexit that might've worked, just like some people think there's a way we could've won the Iraq war without fucking up the country. But no-one will support the Brexit we get and May/Boris/Fox/Davis/Gove will have Blair-like reputation damage.

According to polls 30%~ of the population will never change their mind no matter how bad things get, they think leaving is worth any cost. We just need enough people from the remaining 20%~ of the population to come to terms that what they voted for is undeliverable and that they were lied to. If remain can inch its way to 60% (also aided by more young people coming of voting age!) politicians won't be able to ignore that.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Now, I want it noted - I said I was going to take a break from the original Brexit thread; I never said anything about this thread.

Lovely to see you all again.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Now, I want it noted - I said I was going to take a break from the original Brexit thread; I never said anything about this thread.

Lovely to see you all again.
We will allow you to recall your Article 50 notification.
Welcome back to the family, you will now however loose all your previous opt outs and will have to join the Euro, I hope you understand!

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't have to speak French though, right?

According to polls 30%~ of the population will never change their mind no matter how bad things get, they think leaving is worth any cost.

I've said this before, but stuff like this should be taken with a grain of salt. "Is leaving the EU worth losing £100 a week to you?" is a lot less immediate than "We've left the EU, give me that £100 you said you'd happily give up." Essentially, I'm saying a lot of those people are all talk and no trousers.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
This, and I am glad huw posted, as this reminded me, The Lib Dem's performance at the elections showed that the country as a whole does not have a huge appetite for a second referendum... other issues aside they were the party of no Brexit and it had little to no affect on their performance

The Lib Dem performance != the performance of the Remain voting bloc.

Quite a lot of voting analysis has come out after the election and there's a reasonable amount of literature to to dictate that it was the Remain/Brexit split that blocked May from getting a majority and contributed to Corbyn's rise.

The LDs faced a lot of issues at the election, but chiefly the campaign failed to address the wave of support for Corbyn as the anti-Tory/anti-Brexit force, the latter of which he was happy to take even if Labour are not really that anti-Brexit, and the campaign also managed to get itself tangled in an idiotic debate surrounding Farron and LGBT topics, which Farron and the party as a whole should have handled better.

It's the sort of defence that Mogg likes making but it's grossly simplistic.

At the end of the day both the two main parties and the papers framed the question as May vs Corbyn, not about Brexit. Folks voted on that basis, with a side of Remainers and Leavers being far more willing to back Corbyn and May respectively.

Indeed if you look at the clamour for a referendum on the final deal it's gotten stronger since the election (see: the recent Yougov question on the topic) - so if anything there's more of a demand now than there was prior.

A referendum on the final deal (or a general election with a party winning a majority based on exiting from Brexit) is the route to us not leaving Europe - I think the public is growing warmer toward the idea of not leaving, and thus the natural way of doing that will also gain in support.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to get sentimental, but I just wanted to say it's great to see so many familiar faces back together again. Regardless of whether or not we agree or disagree on the glorious mess of taking back control, it's good to have the gang back together again.

It's our solemn duty to huddle together, moaning about the state of the world and bickering with each other from time to time. It's the right thing to do. It's the British thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.