• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Good. Find this motherfucker.
Funny thing is, from what we know now at least, they could find him, he could just say "talk to my lawyer" and then head back out into the woods again if he wanted. I mean I'm sure they'll bring him in and question him, but he doesn't have to say anything.

We don't have all the information, I mean there could be a criminal case in the works, but based on what we know and what the police are saying, Brian is still just missing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I called the cops on my brother when one of his friends had a crisis of conscience and called me to tell me he was planning to murder my dad. I didn't hesitate for a fucking second, and I would do it again.

I don't go to the wall for family when murder is involved. There's not a single person on this planet I care about enough to override my sense of justice.

This guy is clearly involved in Gabby's disappearance and likely death, and anyone who's covering for him NOW, after all that's happened, has a severe moral failing.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I called the cops on my brother when one of his friends had a crisis of conscience and called me to tell me he was planning to murder my dad. I didn't hesitate for a fucking second, and I would do it again.

I don't go to the wall for family when murder is involved. There's not a single person on this planet I care about enough to override my sense of justice.

This guy is clearly involved in Gabby's disappearance and likely death, and anyone who's covering for him NOW, after all that's happened, has a severe moral failing.
I'd turn in any of my family members if they were at the 01/06 insurrection without even blinking. Let alone, murder. At least if they were dumb enough to video tape themselves inside the capital.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I'm responding because this is all hypothetical crap and no one knows exactly what they'd do when presented with such a situation. Hypothetically, I'd be inclined to believe whatever story my child concocted. I wouldn't exactly be some neutral, unbiased listener. Thus, I'd be predisposed to accept whatever defense the could come up with it unless there was ample proof to contradict them. In any case, I'd likely tell them to turn themselves into the police but if they didn't I wouldn't turn them in, I'd simply tell them to leave.

If they actually admitted to murdering a missing person and told me where the body was, I'd likely give them a few days head start before telling the family. After that, it's up to the police to apprehend them, I want no part in it nor would I answer my child's calls after that.

But again, it's all hypothetical and hopefully will only ever remain hypothetical. If you raised a murderer then you fucked up somewhere.

Hypothetical? How about I know I'm not a walking piece of human garbage that would cover up a murder for my kid (or anyone for that matter). Sorry some of us actually have MORALS and a conscience.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think Brian is going to be found but I don't know if he'll be alive or dead, I imagine that if he has done something to Gabby and he's gone to all of this trouble that he may be unwilling to be brought in alive.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of scenarios where he didn't murder her. I am not defending him, or his family - he should have helped out and been answering questions. And maybe he did…but people need to chill and wait for answers from the authorities and stop fighting with each other.
Don't see a scenario where the girl still lives, and where he isn't deeply involved in her death. So sure, anything between outright murder and just manslaughter. And even the scenarios where it was just an accident look way worse due to him not calling for help and not cooperating at all with the family.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
This has taken a turn..I feel he went out there to commit suicide. Otherwise, why go out there at all? You're not making it without food, water, supplies and based off of his past experiences he knows this.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Don't see a scenario where the girl still lives, and where he isn't deeply involved in her death. So sure, anything between outright murder and just manslaughter. And even the scenarios where it was just an accident look way worse due to him not calling for help and not cooperating at all with the family.
I think some people are favoring "suicide" here. Probably based on the police body cam where she was emotional (you know because most people are when they could be arrested but no, she's SUICIDAL). I just don't see it personally. If she killed herself, the body would likely be found, the area while remote does have a lot of traffic and common camping locations. His lawyer would also tell him not to run, he'd be working on a defense for him.

That he run should throw that theory out the window. At the very least he moved the body or some shit, but it's far more likely he's hiding because he's just straight up a murderer.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Although there's no evidence of crime, and thus the cops can't arrest him or limit his movements in any way, I don't believe there was anything hindering them from simple police surveillance, right? Especially as he's the last known person of interest in a missing person's case. Can experts confirm that the police didn't actually need a warrant or anything for a stakeout? Because if so, it makes this disappearance all the more frustrating.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is, from what we know now at least, they could find him, he could just say "talk to my lawyer" and then head back out into the woods again if he wanted. I mean I'm sure they'll bring him in and question him, but he doesn't have to say anything.

We don't have all the information, I mean there could be a criminal case in the works, but based on what we know and what the police are saying, Brian is still just missing.
I didn't even think about that. Damn, hopefully they have some sort of plan.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Although there's no evidence of crime, and thus the cops can't arrest him or limit his movements in any way, I don't believe there was anything hindering them from simple police surveillance, right? Especially as he's the last known person of interest in a missing person's case. Can experts confirm that the police didn't actually need a warrant or anything for a stakeout? Because if so, it makes this disappearance all the more frustrating.

I think they would need a warrant for surveillance.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I would imagine that you'd have to have a legal reason to basically stalk a private citizen. If you think about it, that's probably a good thing because police certainly would abuse that ability to profile people of color.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Police don't need a warrant to perform surveillance, they'd just need a warrant to arrest him or enter his house.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Everyone in here having a passionate argument about if they would hypothetically turn in a family member for murder and getting sanctimonious over other people's answers...can y'all just stop? What you would do in this situation really has nothing to do with the subject at hand and really does not warrant the kind of intense mud slinging y'all are bringing. You sound like 12 year olds arguing over literally nothing. I promise you most people in here don't care what you would do one way or another and you do not need to to dramatically declare your moral standing.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
If your child is the person of interest in a murder/disappearance, helping them get a head start in running away is never a good idea.

Now he not only looks guiltier, but he's also at a high risk of killing himself. It's very possible that they've just inadvertently assisted their son in his own suicide.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I do feel like that if Brian was Black, the police would know where is ass is right now. I'm not sure anybody can argue against that with a straight face. They cerainly wouldn't be spouting "we didn't do shit because he's a PRIVATE CITIZEN!"

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much. As I said multiple times in the other thread there are countless missing people right now, the only reason this one is national news is she's a pretty white girl.
This. The police pulled out all the stops to make sure Gabby was comfortable in that body camera footage. No way in hell would they have offered a Black woman Gatorade in the same situation.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I would imagine that you'd have to have a legal reason to basically stalk a private citizen. If you think about it, that's probably a good thing because police certainly would abuse that ability to profile people of color.

Although I understand where you're coming from, in this matter it's obvious this guy is a major witness to a missing person case, and acting extremely suspicious, so it would have been easily justified.

Police don't need a warrant to perform surveillance, they'd just need a warrant to arrest him or enter his house.

This is what I'm assuming. I don't understand how this dude disappeared off the radar. Just have a cop or two in an unmarked car parked outside his last known location (was it confirmed he was staying at his parents, or are we just taking his parents word for that?)

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
law enforcement botched this badly

like really really bad

fucking insanely bad

should have had him under tight surveillance

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
They sound like parents.

If you look back a few pages then you'd know I made a thread months ago on this topic and over half of the people in the thread agreed they would not turn in a family member. Hell, in about 14 states you can't even prosecute parents for harboring their children who are fugitives and more states that reduce liability if they do. Even the law recognizes that parents aren't expected to turn in their children.

I can take the dogpile, I'm just being honest. I'm not turning in any child I might have unless they are an active danger to the community like the unabomber. I may be disgusted with them, I may tell them I never want to see them again but I'm not calling the police.

This truly disgusting shit. Fucking wow.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in here having a passionate argument about if they would hypothetically turn in a family member for murder and getting sanctimonious over other people's answers...can y'all just stop? What you would do in this situation really has nothing to do with the subject at hand and really does not warrant the kind of intense mud slinging y'all are bringing. You sound like 12 year olds arguing over literally nothing. I promise you most people in here don't care what you would do one way or another and you do not need to to dramatically declare your moral standing.

Someone made a post so people are replying to it. That's kinda how the internet works.

It's kinda pathetic that you have an issue with people basically saying they would do the right thing and turn their ass in.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Pretty much. As I said multiple times in the other thread there are countless missing people right now, the only reason this one is national news is she's a pretty white girl.
That's a part of it. I mean let's be honest, it is. Fox News has been one of the best sources for this case and I'm laughing out loud if anybody tells me they'd be covering the story the same way if the missing woman was a young Black woman.

But it's also not the only reason. It's also assuming it's the only reason people in this thread care.

The boyfriend's behavior, the parent's behavior, the body cam footage, the fact that she was a video content creator with a lot of videos of herself and the fiance out there on social media, and now that he's on the run, all make the case standout.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm still fucking socked they weren't keeping an eye on him. Dude is the last person to see her alive, he drives back home in HER van, doesn't report her missing, refuses to talk to her family and refuses to cooperate with police. Now he is "missing". People have been arrested for less that what this guy did and yet the cops have the gall to say he "isn't a suspect" and that they don't track "private citizens".

My first instinct was to say that if the dude was a minority of any race or religious background that they would have 3 cars parked outside his house, but then I realized if he had been a minority they would have already arrested him for something.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They are going to find his ass hanging from a tree aren't they. They will probably never find that girl.

OP
OP
rjinaz

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Although I understand where you're coming from, in this matter it's obvious this guy is a major witness to a missing person case, and acting extremely suspicious, so it would have been easily justified.

This is what I'm assuming. I don't understand how this dude disappeared off the radar. Just have a cop or two in an unmarked car parked outside his last known location (was it confirmed he was staying at his parents, or are we just taking his parents word for that?)
Oh I agree, like I said a few posts back, if Brian was a person of Color, they would have found a way lol.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me hopes they do know where he is, llulling him into a false sense of security, and are doing this to see if he slips up and he can lead to her/her body.

Oct 29, 2017
He's a person of interest in a national missing persons case. It's a pretty clear argument.
There are Fourth Amendment limits to the scope of police surveillance. Whether the surveillance constitutes an unreasonable search depends on the kind of surveillance and how it was conducted.

Like I said, it's not always true that the police don't need a warrant to surveil a person.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure why they didn't have someone posted out near their house to see what his movements were like.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough that Brian's family has been friends with the police chief for 20 years or something like that. The sheer amount of red flags at hand here would make any reasonable law enforcement agency at least keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't skip town.

Oct 30, 2017
Part of me hopes they do know where he is, llulling him into a false sense of security, and are doing this to see if he slips up and he can lead to her/her body.
That would be some 5D chess strategy considering how utterly inept they've appeared since all of this began.

Doesn't matter if this dude wasn't a suspect, you have people tail him like his own shadow.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
If they actually admitted to murdering a missing person and told me where the body was, I'd likely give them a few days head start before telling the family. After that, it's up to the police to apprehend them, I want no part in it nor would I answer my child's calls after that.

But again, it's all hypothetical and hopefully will only ever remain hypothetical. If you raised a murderer then you fucked up somewhere.

You must watch a lot of bullshit movies.

also on the bold sentence: sure, because it's definitely 100% the parents' fault.
Fucking hell what am I even reading.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really hope they find both of them, whether they're dead or alive. But him running away pretty much means she's dead.

How does he go missing? Like how were they not keeping close watch on him? He even had a lawyer.

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is about a probably murdered woman and there are people saying wellll wouldn't you cover for your kid too? Fuck. Right. Off.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine they're treating the search for him more like they're looking for a fugitive than a normal missing person. He obviously doesn't want to be found, and could be armed.

Status
Not open for further replies.