• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
I remember driving around a white lady who I was helping out at the time.

We ended up passing by these rural southern homes off this road. She was amazed and marveled at the houses and design.

She said " Wow, look at these beautiful houses. Incredible... I wonder what these people used to do to have a house like that...."

I took a look and told her "it's a plantation home... They used to own slaves..."

The lady got a little quiet and said "Ya know, you will go alot farther in life if you aren't so negative all the time......"

Moral of the story? White people are fragile as fuck when it comes to the truth and reality of history.
i could feel my blood pressure rise just from reading that

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
"Because of the world we live in now, it's all about race and everyone wants to put everyone in a different category," she said. "I think it's a shame because everyone's so accepting, and social media is dividing people because people get so offended by everything."

this person needs their mouth washed out with bleach, fucking hell.

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
A place where black people were property to be used, raped, and beat; great place for a wedding. The fuck?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Came in this thread thinking that maybe they would be defending their decision by saying something like "The location is very pretty and we didn't realize the history attached to it" or something like that. It would have been dumb but not *too* bad but noooooppe... She went all in in the other direction instead... Yikes

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Living in the Midwest I'm used to barn weddings but I've never even considered people in areas with these plantations would do the same thing with their property... I imagine said people running these venues think it's "unfair" to be criticized for running an identical business model with their property. Poor babies.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The audacity of fighting against the backlash baffles me. Just marry in your slave farm in silence like the piece of shit you both are.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"I have always wanted a plantation wedding," Helms, who is white

there's a lot to unpack here

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading something a week or so ago about people criticising Ryan Reynolds for having a plantation wedding.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I think I'm aware of how much white people really do not give a flying fuck about my people I read some shit like this that just digs the hole.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"Because of the world we live in now, it's all about race and everyone wants to put everyone in a different category," she said. "I think it's a shame because everyone's so accepting, and social media is dividing people because people get so offended by everything."
I am losing brain cells reading this

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'm pretty sure if you show these people two equally pretty houses: one with a history of slavery and one without they'd still choose the one with the slavery. History they say.
I mean you can find nice ranch/smaller farm venues that have a modern rustic feel and look great with your photos of mason jar holding the flowers. Chances are they're the same price or cheaper than these plantation venues. I think those being an option pretty much says it all.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It never occurred to me that plantations even still existed, but of course they do. Wanting to spend what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of your life in a place so tainted with evil and cruelty is abnormal.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about race, but also I want to have a wedding in this place specifically BECAUSE of it's history which was deeply entwined with the enslavement of black people

what a fucking joke

Mar 3, 2018
I remember when I first heard about this I honestly thought it was parody, or some dark twisted comedy or a social commentary performance art thing. Then I found out how much it happens regularly, and not just weddings.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Peak white nonsense. I really have to stop reading threads like this. Gets my blood boiling every time.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
UCyfEPPg.jpg

I'm perfectly happy generalising people who willingly and knowingly have weddings at plantations as white supremacists. No benefit of the doubt for a location that was all about slavery.

Are there any weddings done at former concentration camps?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Gone with the Wind is probably the best piece of propaganda ever made. It really is amazing how warped the knowledge of American history is among most of its people.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Next thing you're gonna tell me we shouldn't have wedding parties at Auschwitz? Wtf! Snowflakes are unbelievable. Just let the poor people enjoy their plantation weddings, they seem so sad. It's really offensive, where else will they get married? There are barely any other options around.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I mean, the good versions of these are exactly like this. For example this year I visited Savannah and the Owens-Thomas House and Slave Quarters. There they explicitly speak to how preservation of these locations involves reconciling the fact that yes, these are beautiful and historically fascinating spaces, and immense atrocities were committed there. That fact cannot be shied away from.
If that's the case with that property (I am not disputing you... I just don't know a better way of saying this), then good. I wish them success. I hope their guests walk away as better people. If I am in Savannah, I will add it to my list, if for no more reason than to donate.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's why I like the Watchmen series is attacking nostalgia and legacy built on white supremacy and racism. People romanticize the past, not necessarily realizing their also romanticizing white supremacy and racism.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's definitely a purpose for keeping these types of places around as a way to remind us of past atrocities in the hopes that doing so will keep us from making similar mistakes in the future

But holding weddings in these locations is completely disrespectful and does nothing to really educate people on the dark history of places like this. If we want to keep these places around, we absolutely can't let them be associated with happiness or joy in any way for reasons that should be super obvious

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How are plantation weddings a thing jeeze
It's that "a lot of horrible shit went on here but damn does this place look pretty" thing. Like having a wedding at the pyramids, except far more recent so the negative impact still exists, which is why "no one from that time is alive anymore so whatever" ain't gonna cut it

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
The obession white america has for plantations will never not be fucking creepy.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If that's the case with that property (I am not disputing you... I just don't know a better way of saying this), then good. I wish them success. I hope their guests walk away as better people. If I am in Savannah, I will add it to my list, if for no more reason than to donate.
Yeah, about that...

www.resetera.com

Negative reviews for plantation tours are a strange hole to go down

As a white man, why on earth would you visit a fucking plantation and expect to hear positive things about about the people who owned people? That was a rhetorical question. This is like getting tour of Auschwitz and being upset that the tour focused on the plight of the jews and not all the...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How long before these weddings feature "Jumping the Broom"?

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
It's that "a lot of horrible shit went on here but damn does this place look pretty" thing. Like having a wedding at the pyramids, except far more recent so the negative impact still exists, which is why "no one from that time is alive anymore so whatever" ain't gonna cut it
Some weird white shit. And I say that being white.