excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, that's not easy to do anywhere. America was stolen from the indigenous people who were here, they were raped, oppressed and slaughtered en masse all over this country. This country, everywhere you look was built from taking advantage of oppressed people. This story wants us to get outraged by some stupid quotes of moronic people. That's the point of these stories. In the grand scheme of things, does it matter if people get married there? Does stopping the weddings there make one split of difference in helping minorities in our country? This is just distraction. We gotta be better than this.

So you're saying: "Because of the world we live in now, it's all about race and everyone wants to put everyone in a different category, and that it's a shame because everyone's so accepting, and social media is dividing people because people get so offended by everything."?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Imagine getting married in a place where black people were literally enslaved, and having the audacity and white privilege to say something like "well since these days since things are all about race...". Like how tone deaf and stupid can you be? Jesus I can only hope these morons are sterile.
Not only will they have kids but they'll be in positions of power to teach and influence a whole new generation of morons.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
As a white woman...yikes yikes yikes. That's so embarrassing.

Like...I know the look of plantations fall into the kind of "old timey Instagram" look people like for weddings right now, but you can have your old timey Instagram wedding...not on a plantation.

And yeah, like others said, if they had just thought it was pretty and didn't realize the history, okay that's stupid, but at least it's "just" ignorance (....). But "I've always wanted a plantation wedding, I love the history!"...... Lawd.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a white dude and I don't think over sensitive about people calling out white people on their bullshit. But isn't this more of a southerner thing? Obviously white southerners, but it's more of a geography problem than a white person problem? I've never know any Californian in my life to idealize southern plantations or desire to visit one let alone get married at one. Yet my cousins in Georgia gladly take me to Stone Mountain and plantations and shit like that when I visit.

Jun 17, 2019
Christ, that is a stupid thing to say. Just what were these idiots thinking.

Question, aren't several plantation homes under the National park service? So aren't the costs of these weddings paying for the upkeep of the grounds? I know some houses in Illinois fall under this.

Regarding Reynolds and Lively's wedding, if I'm recalling right the reason they got married there was because Blake's family lives around there and they wanted to use the grounds. At least that's what was in an article about it.

Jun 17, 2019
I'm a white dude and I don't think over sensitive about people calling out white people on their bullshit. But isn't this more of a southerner thing? Obviously white southerners, but it's more of a geography problem than a white person problem? I've never know any Californian in my life to idealize southern plantations or desire to visit one let alone get married at one. Yet my cousins in Georgia gladly take me to Stone Mountain and plantations and shit like that when I visit.

Yeah I think it is. Like how if you go to france you have the catacombs.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Stone Mountain thing is definitely a location thing. I didn't realize how fucked up Stone Mountain was until I was an adult, but I spent about 5 years of my childhood living in Atlanta and went to Stone Mountain many times. It was just something you did, and everyone went. No shortage of black people in ATL going to Stone Mountain on the weekends. Which...in hindsight is incredibly bizarre. It's the largest Confederate monument in the country. Now I see the place for what it is, and think it's pretty gross that it exists tbh. But having grown up in that environment...people are definitely ignorant to the significance of stuff like that (especially white people) if they never move away or have someone else question it or confront them about it.

Plantations are a step further than just Stone Mountain though, even if both are very bad. Plantations are the literal sites of extreme human suffering inflicted upon black people at the hands of white slave owners. There is 0 reason to be married at one, it's callous.

Last edited:

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone wants to get marry at a concentration camp? Same thing.

Also, people outside the South does not understand. Yes we do. You don't.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kinda try to give people that do plantation weddings the benefit of the doubt in that they're just looking for a picturesque location and the specific history of the location isn't really something that's crossing their mind... but she starts right of the bat saying she loves the history of the place sooooooo

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Stone Mountain thing is definitely a location thing. I didn't realize how fucked up Stone Mountain was until I was an adult, but I spent about 5 years of my childhood living in Atlanta and went to Stone Mountain many times. It was just something you did, and everyone went. No shortage of black people in ATL going to Stone Mountain on the weekends. Which...in hindsight is incredibly bizarre. It's the largest Confederate monument in the country. Now I see the place for what it is, and think it's pretty gross that it exists tbh. But having grown up in that environment...people are definitely ignorant to the significance of stuff like that (especially white people) if they never move away or have someone else question it or confront them about it.

Plantations are a step further than just Stone Mountain though, even if both are very bad. Plantations are the literal sites of extreme human suffering inflicted upon black people at the hands of white slave owners. There is 0 reason to be married at one, it's callous.
I grew up in Stone Mountain and used to go there all the time especially on July 4th. Granted I was young and didn't know better but simply followed what was socially normal.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It makes me want to punch things when I hear other white people say shit like "Oh everyone wants to make everything about race!"

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The thing you have a situation where white people are very directly benefiting from black slaves, in 2019. The fact it's a slave plantation is an attraction and the fact the places are visually attractive is at least in part down to them as well.

If these places were owned by black charities that used them to educate people and allowed weddings to fund them, it wouldn't be quite as bad.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Racist weddings? At this time of year? At that time of day? In that part of the country? Localized entirely on a slave plantation?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Black twitter doing a damn thing

Oh I'm getting in on this....
YQSR7hx_d.jpg

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Could one of the America peeps here help me out a bit. This type of romanticizing of a plantation, is it in the same vein of the old stereotype of "The Southern Gentleman" ? So, an attempt to whitewash a really dirty part of the past?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Could one of the America peeps here help me out a bit. This type of romanticizing of a plantation, is it in the same vein of the old stereotype of "The Southern Gentleman" ? So, an attempt to whitewash a really dirty part of the past?

Surely there are people in Europe who romanticize feudalism and medieval nobility.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Either they don't know, or don't care, about the history which means they are ignorant and their special day supersedes the wishes of the children and grandchildren of those who suffered there.

Or they consider that suffering a big plus of the venue.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Imagine having a brain so scrambled that being wedded at a fucking plantation is a "dream come true."

Absolutely useless human being. Hope that marriage ends in a long and horrible divorce.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Ha, timeless.

Their statements are ridiculous. Everything about that location is beautiful? What?

I mean, that's not ridiculous, they are beautiful. Large farmlands and plantation-style homes are nice looking, and moreover plentiful in the south, which is why needing to have your wedding specifically at one of these sites is not only suspect, it makes you look like a fucking asshole and a biggot because you aren't willing to even go through the motions of what you're doing, you just want your wedding lillies and fuck anyone who gets in your way.

It is PEAK "Karen".

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Either they don't know, or don't care, about the history which means they are ignorant and their special day supersedes the wishes of the children and grandchildren of those who suffered there.

Pretty much the same idea, except the plantations are more recent so are more offensive to the descendants of the victims of slavery.

Thank you for the information peeps, was most useful. Now I'm gonna go and cry at humanity's idiocy a bit! ("So romance, much wow...Here they whipped a dozen blackies!" *shudders*)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
though i guess whitewash kind of implies it ignores the horrible things, and i'm pretty sure the horrible things are part of the draw in this situation

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

All the blood from the tortured slaves enriched the soil and grew some pretty flowers.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I'm from the deep south, and even when I was young I thought that the it was bizarre that people held parties or celebrations at plantations. I'm all for preserving them, but they should be solemn places.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
My grandmother used to work at one of those plantations. I would ride with my mother at times to pick her up. She was the old maid, an actual maid for show and work. The owners, Mrs and Mr Jean, were proud of the slave quarters. It was the Rosswood Plantation in Mississippi, my uncles got her to stop working there. I remember being at my grandmother's house alone one day and the Jean's came by asking for her, this was in the 90s not older days.

They had peacocks, and stuff in the back. It was a real circus for people to live out their slave days fantasy. It was horrible to me, scary dungeon stuff in the basement. My granmother talked about how she wasn't allowed to eat the food, sit at a table, or rest on a guest bed, but she did because she had access, and had to taste the food as she cooked. "I was the first to eat their food." haha

Nov 21, 2017
I always wondered why Mount Vernon is such a big wedding venue..../sarcasm.
The building has good history to celebrate but some horrible stuff also. So I don't think its ideal place for a wedding.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
My grandmother used to work at one of those plantations. I would ride with my mother at times to pick her up. She was the old maid, an actual maid for show and work. The owners, Mrs and Mr Jean, were proud of the slave quarters. It was the Rosswood Plantation in Mississippi, my uncles got her to stop working there. I remember being at my grandmother's house alone one day and the Jean's came by asking for her, this was in the 90s not older days.

They had peacocks, and stuff in the back. It was a real circus for people to live out their slave days fantasy. It was horrible to me, scary dungeon stuff in the basement. My granmother talked about how she wasn't allowed to eat the food, sit at a table, or rest on a guest bed, but she did because she had access, and had to taste the food as she cooked. "I was the first to eat their food." haha

Damn, I looked this place up and their website left a bad taste in my mouth.

Rosswood was a thriving cotton plantation of 1250 acres, long before the Civil War, with 105 slaves working the fields. It now has 100 acres of rolling fields and stately trees, where deer and other wildlife abound.

The original owner, Doctor Walter Ross Wade, kept a journal that describes his courtship and marriage of Mabella Chamberlain and their plantation life before and during the Civil War. Guests may read about parties and balls, the construction of the mansion, a slave revolt, a Civil War battle when the mansion became a hospital, treasure buried and lost, two ghosts, and how a cotton plantation was managed in days that now are "gone with the wind."

The Rosswood Mansion is a classic Greek revival home of 14 rooms, with 14 foot ceilings, 10 fireplaces, columned galleries, a winding stairway, and original slave quarters. Completely restored and furnished with beautiful antiques and unusual items collected around the world, it has been home since 1975 for Colonel Walt Hylander and his wife Jean, who share its heritage and their treasures with their guests. Rosswood is a Mississippi Landmark, and it qualified for the National Register both historically and architecturally. It has been named "The Prettiest Place in the Country" and featured on the Travel Channel on television.

They talk about the slaves alongside the land, both things owned. They talk about the place like it was so romantic and interesting.

At Lorman is the unexplored site of "The Battle of the Cotton Bales," when Rosswood was used as a hospital for wounded on both sides. The South won that one, and chased the Union forces back to the Mississippi River, 15 miles to the west.

The wording used here is interesting too.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
I read through the article wondering if they could find a black person who got married at a plantation, thinking that their perspective might be interesting. But nope. Just "so-and-so, who is white" over and over. Not surprising.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I looked this place up and their website left a bad taste in my mouth.

They talk about the slaves alongside the land, both things owned. They talk about the place like it was so romantic and interesting.

The wording used here is interesting too.
It has been named "The Prettiest Place in the Country"
[Disgusted Cat GIF]
Go to the back where people wait to pick up or drop off the maids, never go to the front!!!! Also I can't imagine how bad and cracked the paint and structure of the house is today. Though with Mississippi being Mississippi I bet they got the state to help them with restorations. The slave quarters are not pretty, I don't know why they advertise it as if it's something cool to look at with treasures to be placed in.

There are so many better looking places than this, it's not even a competition (obviously playing it up for advertising). People come here for one reason, it was a slave plantation.