• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good idea. The draft list of questions, according to my Google Keep that were predominantly written in the pub or my KFC when I returned from it, ergo are themed to conversations that took place at the recent meet or are just complete nonsense, are:
  • Have you ever fisted someone without them realising?
I missed this conversation.

Krypta

Oct 29, 2017
I knew I couldn't be alone!

+1

R1fdEt3.gif

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
where the hell did you go for that?!?!

also for London Sam Smith pubs. Similar prices as the midlands and they are actually really nicely decorated!
If you buy coke on tourist trap vending machines sure.
either a station WH Smiths or vending machine. duhh

It was in the Sainsburys in Paddington station if I recall correctly. It was during a summer heatwave, and my train was delayed because one of the carriages had a broken radiator. (They couldn't turn it off, so the train was becoming a sweat box.)

Perhaps I got caught in a tourist trap, but I was thirsty and couldn't go far to find something cheaper, otherwise I may have missed my replacement train.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
It was in the Sainsburys in Paddington station if I recall correctly. It was during a summer heatwave, and my train was delayed because one of the carriages had a broken radiator. (They couldn't turn it off, so the train was becoming a sweat box.)

Perhaps I got caught in a tourist trap, but I was thirsty and couldn't go far to find something cheaper, otherwise I may have missed my replacement train.
Stations like tourist traps and airports work on captured audiences though less so than the latter so charge whatever they please. A normal Sainburys local would charge you £1 for the drink or less. A normal Sainsburys would do £2 for the 2L bottle.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
2 years ago, the staff around the walk-up play booths were extremely rude and threw me off a game (there was no queue, in fact i was the only one in the area as it was a Thursday, which is normally the quiet day). The Horizon stand, i had booked a slot to play the demo (did it online) and they gave my slot to someone else (i showed up 5-10 minutes before as instructed) and said i would have to check in to see if a slot became free. And i tried to play Call of Duty, but walked out because i was being told how to play (not the normal way, more patronizing)

Last year, my friend i was with lost his Mario Kart tournament slot because of the organisation (pretty bad) of the tournament. And due to an error, we couldn't play in the Splatoon tournament as 1/2 the team couldn't get to the event.

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy EGX every time i go. But i felt last year i was getting tired and needed a break this year, which is what i'm doing.

Thanks for the reply,

Those do seem to be bad instances you encountered, this will be my first time at this event, I have been to a few other game events like this though, I have never bothered to book slots I have just asked if a booth was free if it is empty and usually have said that I can have a quick go, but if I cannot and have been told no, then it doesn't bother me really, it is just less likely that I will get the game, not that I buy many now, I just usually like to chat to the people there and see what is coming and also watch players get beat by the pros.

One event I went to they had the Frag Girls there, they were playing four games, I was there very early as I am not that far away so did not have to queue so I played one at Gran Turismo and another at Street Fighter II, these were each woman's speciality, you had one warm up lap and one fight round and then you played them proper and of course I lost to them, which was to be expected, but later on when I went past I just stood and watched as male after male walking away from any of the four areas looking more than upset after getting beat, they some how didn't seem to grasp that each of the women were professional players who toured the world and were paid to play games.

The developers I have previously spoken to there have been fine, one thing I like to talk to them about is DLC and retailer specific locked DLC, I have not had a bad experience really, but like you there is a first time, I will post back here or of there is a specific thread set-up.

If anyone else is going I am going on the Friday, if anyone wants to have a ERA meet-up.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Well, first week in Shrewton nearing a close. Had my first proper trip into Salisbury today - was here a few years ago as part of the Pewsey dig, but just for laundry/Cathedral visit purposes. Interesting place with lots of old architecture around, but definitely gonna have to get used to the much more limited bus schedule. 17:41 as the last chance to head home will be... different, unless I make use of the park and rides instead.

Dec 2, 2017
Second thought on London, I got that Odeon limitless card for 20 pound a month (which includes central London) and there's an odeon about 15 minutes walk from me, but are they messing with those ticket prices otherwise, 18 quid odd?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Monopoly on PS4.

First time playing. First go buy one of the shit brown ones. Second turn land on an owned property. Third go land on an owned property. Fourth go Free Parking. Fifth go Go To Jail.

Fuck this game. Five turns and I'm working class and everyone else is Richard fucking Branson already.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bought Monopoly on PS4.

First time playing. First go buy one of the shit brown ones. Second turn land on an owned property. Third go land on an owned property. Fourth go Free Parking. Fifth go Go To Jail.

Fuck this game. Five turns and I'm working class and everyone else is Richard fucking Branson already.

it's how London works.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got a graduate job offer based in Milton Keynes. I haven't really started looking for work yet so it came as a bit of a surprise that I got offered this one! I'm currently based in Brighton so I'm kinda spoiled right now with regards to location, atmosphere and local culture - any impressions of MK and the area around it? I hear so many bad things, it makes me want to turn it down. I spent some time there and it seemed a bit sterile but I quite liked the green spaces. I don't wanna live somewhere I'm not gonna like.

If I don't take it I'll probably proceed to look for work near where I am now - I love it here, I'm going to have a good MSc degree and hopefully will be able to find something fulfilling.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got a graduate job offer based in Milton Keynes. I haven't really started looking for work yet so it came as a bit of a surprise that I got offered this one! I'm currently based in Brighton so I'm kinda spoiled right now with regards to location, atmosphere and local culture - any impressions of MK and the area around it? I hear so many bad things, it makes me want to turn it down. I spent some time there and it seemed a bit sterile but I quite liked the green spaces. I don't wanna live somewhere I'm not gonna like.

If I don't take it I'll probably proceed to look for work near where I am now - I love it here, I'm going to have a good MSc degree and hopefully will be able to find something fulfilling.

MK is one of the most over produced for work and no play cities in the UK, it's just a really dull town.
Going from Brighton to MK would be a huge culture shock.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Thanks for the reply,

Those do seem to be bad instances you encountered, this will be my first time at this event, I have been to a few other game events like this though, I have never bothered to book slots I have just asked if a booth was free if it is empty and usually have said that I can have a quick go, but if I cannot and have been told no, then it doesn't bother me really, it is just less likely that I will get the game, not that I buy many now, I just usually like to chat to the people there and see what is coming and also watch players get beat by the pros.

One event I went to they had the Frag Girls there, they were playing four games, I was there very early as I am not that far away so did not have to queue so I played one at Gran Turismo and another at Street Fighter II, these were each woman's speciality, you had one warm up lap and one fight round and then you played them proper and of course I lost to them, which was to be expected, but later on when I went past I just stood and watched as male after male walking away from any of the four areas looking more than upset after getting beat, they some how didn't seem to grasp that each of the women were professional players who toured the world and were paid to play games.

The developers I have previously spoken to there have been fine, one thing I like to talk to them about is DLC and retailer specific locked DLC, I have not had a bad experience really, but like you there is a first time, I will post back here or of there is a specific thread set-up.

If anyone else is going I am going on the Friday, if anyone wants to have a ERA meet-up.

On plus sides, i have jumped many queues for games because they were looking for 1 person, and most people were in the queue with friends and didn't want to play without them (that sounds iffy, but it is what it is). Game queues i jumped included DriveClub, Project Cars, Final Fantasy XV, Destiny Rise of Iron (they needed 1 more for the fireteam, and i was standing near the queue and they assumed i was queuing) and Battlefront II. So there is that side of the coin, which is fun. Especially hearing the groans of those who are waiting as you are shipped to the front for a go. Heck, i even got to play Dishonored 2 quicker than most people as most wanted to play as Emily, and they needed 2 people for Corvo (me and my mate jumped the 2 hour queue).

Keep an eye on games like that, there is a chance you could move to the front.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MK is one of the most over produced for work and no play cities in the UK, it's just a really dull town.
Going from Brighton to MK would be a huge culture shock.
MK is a commercial/corporate soulless US city wannabe hunk of land.

Yep, I've heard that over and over. Doesn't paint the best picture. I think, especially coming from somewhere as vibrant as I am now, it would be incredibly jarring. Leaning towards saying no, but if I did say yes I'd have to commute from elsewhere, for my own sanity.

Oct 26, 2017
Bought Monopoly on PS4.

Has anyone else ever wondered why Monopoly has a monopoly on monopoly games.

Also I'm still bitter at years ago me mam asking what I wanted for christmas and I said the A Game of Thrones boardgame and I got Game of Thrones themed Monopoly. THANKS MUM

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
So, uh, Hermes seriously fucked up a parcel delivery by placing it in a recycling bin that was recycled on the same day. As they somehow obtained a signature for delivery do I have any recourse against them? I kind of get the impression they're useless fuckers from the Euro buy & sell thread.

Dec 2, 2017

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
By drawing a squiggle on the signing screen - the world's worst touch screen.

Seriously, has anyone actually written their signature properly on one of those?

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
I have but yeah the signature is so hard to read it serves no purpose and drivers know they can just fake it and get away with it.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Second thought on London, I got that Odeon limitless card for 20 pound a month (which includes central London) and there's an odeon about 15 minutes walk from me, but are they messing with those ticket prices otherwise, 18 quid odd?

I'm curious, what Odeon was this? I used to work in the one at Whiteleys in Bayswater. Ticket prices weren't that high but they were usually £11-£13.

Nice roundabouts though.

All it has going for it.

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
So, uh, Hermes seriously fucked up a parcel delivery by placing it in a recycling bin that was recycled on the same day. As they somehow obtained a signature for delivery do I have any recourse against them? I kind of get the impression they're useless fuckers from the Euro buy & sell thread.
If you didn't sign for it then yes, absolutely you have recourse against them. If you haven't already then you should contact the seller and tell them you haven't received your package, you don't have to tell them about the bin just that you haven't had the package, and despite it saying it's been signed for you didn't sign for anything. The delivery company have to prove it's your signature, which of course it isn't.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't sign for it then yes, absolutely you have recourse against them. If you haven't already then you should contact the seller and tell them you haven't received your package, you don't have to tell them about the bin just that you haven't had the package, and despite it saying it's been signed for you didn't sign for anything. The delivery company have to prove it's your signature, which of course it isn't.

Ta! Was going to wait to see if Hermes got back to me, but will raise a claim against the seller. Appreciate the viewpoint.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

I had a friend that moved from up
North to Milton Keynes for a graduate job. Company was great to work for, paid well and he enjoyed the work.

But he fucking despised living in Milton Keynes. He called it a soulless capitalism dystopia. He said it literally felt like a town propped up for the sake of work and offices and hated living there and after a year moved to London. Economically he became worse off (had a sizeable raise but dem London prices negated that), but was so much happier. Coming from a cultural town like Brighton you'll definitely have a massive shock going to Milton Keynes.

It depends on your personality. If you're happy working the 9-5 and going back to your flat and house and making your own life then you'll be fine. But if you're used to cultural amenities and enjoy living in a 'living' city then you'll just burn yourself out.

it's how London works.

Has anyone else ever wondered why Monopoly has a monopoly on monopoly games.

Also I'm still bitter at years ago me mam asking what I wanted for christmas and I said the A Game of Thrones boardgame and I got Game of Thrones themed Monopoly. THANKS MUM

I became a monster.

Later in the game I got my way into it and was property strong but cash poor. I landed on a rival's property and needed to raise like £500. Call him Person A. There was a Person B who needed a lot of my properties to create Monopoly so I proposed to him like five or six deals - all pretty much strongly in his favour. But he kept taking the piss and saying like £100 for three of my train stations. Or £50 for two reds, a yellow and Mayfair. So to fire a warning shot I went to Person A and gave him Traf Square for £1. So I return to Person B in my new found confidence that I wasn't to be fucked with and I was prepared to burn him.

Again I offered multiple different deals that would save me but worked strongly in his favour. And he repeatedly just rejected it and proposed ridiculous deals in his favour.

At this point the game was 2 hours in, I was tired and pissed off at his arrogance. So I went back to Person A and gave him all the property Person B needed, and about 6 other properties like Mayfair and three Stations all for £100.

I then went back to Person B and gave him Old Kent Road, Euston Road and a Utility for £200 to drain him a bit of money. Then declared bankruptcy basically handing the game to Person A.

Fuck Person B. You refuse to cooperate and I'll burn us both to the ground.

Musha_Soturi

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone dead from the heat yet?

I am loving it. Went to a talk on Korean comics last night near Kings Cross then hung out in Granary Square drinking Crabbies, there were so many people out it was rammed.

What's everyone's plans for the weekend?

I'm doing some bits around the house in the morning then going to a mate's birthday bbq tomorrow, Sunday is back down the gym to continue my triathlon training, hopefully cinema to watch Black Panther then MotoGP.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
I've been loving the heat. Took Wednesday afternoon off to see the Horne Section anyway, so wandered around central on a nice day. Then yesterday, it's legs out and a nice walk in the park.

Weekend will be going up to Suffolk to see the family, which'll be nice, though not as wamm. This is also so we can see my neice as she turns two, and she's always adorable. It also means I get my six-monthly update on discovering kids TV shows, this time the obsession is 'Sarah and Duck' I'm told, so my partner has crotched Duck from that as a present. She has more practical hobbies than me now, it seems.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Need to get this off my chest somewhere without bringing down the wrath of the gaming forum, but I'm finding God of War to be kind of shit. Kratos is the sort of arsehole parent I've spent my years as a parent trying to avoid becoming. I don't want to roleplay this wank.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Need to get this off my chest somewhere without bringing down the wrath of the gaming forum, but I'm finding God of War to be kind of shit. Kratos is the sort of arsehole parent I've spent my years as a parent trying to avoid becoming. I don't want to roleplay this wank.

How far have you got? He does improve as you progress through.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
How far have you got? He does improve as you progress through.

I dunno, about an hour or so. Found the controls frustrating and just didn't gel with it at all. Will go back to it, but had a really negative first impression. Which is maybe unfair as the gaming forum seems to love it but it hit all the wrong buttons and it just made me angry and that's not what I want from a game.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm also not really enjoying god of war. I'm just finding it a chore to play, where as I got through Life is strange before the storm in like 3 play sessions.

I also went to a walk in centre for the first time! I was unimpressed.