• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/asia/brunei-anti-lgbt-stoning-law-intl/index.html

(CNN)A new law which comes into effect from next week will punish homosexual sex and adultery with death in the small southeast Asian kingdom of Brunei.
Beginning on April 3, any individuals found guilty of the offenses will be stoned to death, according to a new penal code. The punishment will be "witnessed by a group of Muslims."

The country's strict new laws were announced in 2014, and have been rolled out gradually. The latest phase of implementation, including the brutal new provisions, was quietly announced on the Brunei attorney general's website on December 29, 2018.

Human rights groups were quick to express horror at the penal code, which will also order amputation as a punishment for theft.

"Brunei must immediately halt its plans to implement these vicious punishments, and revise its Penal Code in compliance with its human rights obligations. The international community must urgently condemn Brunei's move to put these cruel penalties into practice," Rachel Chhoa-Howard, Brunei Researcher at Amnesty International, said in a statement.

I wonder why you barely hear about this nation in the news, even though it's one of the most prosperous in southeast Asia, second only to Singapore?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your friendly reminder that it's still wildly illegal to be a homosexual in the majority of the world.

Oct 28, 2017
I felt so defeated when the US government had DOMA and ban on gays in the military. I felt like a second class citizen. The worst feeling like I could be the next Matthew Sheppard. I cant even imagine growing up in one of these ultra oppressive countries. It's so awful. :(

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
How's their oil production going? Authoritarian states usually enact populist laws like this to divert people's attention from crumbling economy or political/corruption scandal in their inner circle.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
We have long way to go towards treating people like human fucking beings in some areas. Ugh

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Huh I tend to pay attention to world news and etc way more than the average American, but I never heard of that country before :lol

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Terrible, rotten part of the world, this won't get as much attention as some celebrity saying something homophobic, sadly

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget the sultan (and now prime minister) is the richest man in the world.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh I tend to pay attention to world news and etc way more than the average American, but I never heard of that country before :lol
It's a small "nation" in Boreno. It's next to Malaysia, which is how I know about it. They call themselves the Abode of Peace. They clearly don't live up to it. Fuck them. Corrupt pieces of shit.

Like FUME5 said, the prime Minister is one of the richest man in the world. Think how that came to be on a small nation like that.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/asia/brunei-anti-lgbt-stoning-law-intl/index.html

I wonder why you barely hear about this nation in the news, even though it's one of the most prosperous in southeast Asia, second only to Singapore?
Because it is a boring, backward, stagnant country (one of the last with absolute monarchy) which only owes its wealth due to the fact that it had the fortune to be located on a huge oil reserve. Nothing happens over there, except passing stupid populist laws like this or the excess of the royal family abroad which are of course carefully censored.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sounds reasonable. Yeah, completely and totally reasonable. Reasonable beyond any shred of doubt.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

A reminder that the world still hates gays. What the fuck did we do to get this much hate??

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love sci-fi because I live vicariously through a world where we've solved our problems and gone to space to seek answers to life's larger mysteries...!!!

...instead of the real world where we are still on gay witch hunts because ...I dunno, people are scared of turning gay or some other bullshit excuse.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fucking disgusting way to treat human beings, All over Religious beliefs.

Vile humans.

I can't be convinced that most religions aren't problematic if they aren't progressive enough to except gay/lgbt people.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fucking disgusting way to treat human beings, All over Religious beliefs.

Vile humans.

I can't be convinced that most religions aren't problematic if they aren't progressive enough to except gay/lgbt people.
If it wasn't for religion, terrible people like this would find another excuse.

Oct 27, 2017
God this is one of the first things I see when I wake up. Disgusting.

Fuck these guys. Who cares what other people do with their bodies? It is not up to them to decide for other people.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Because the people of Brunei are completely excluded from the possibility of being born gay. How fucking thick can people be.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
i suspect my couchsurfing host in brunei is gay, but i never brought it up since there wasn't a relevant time. i hope he's alright. super nice guy. his family seemed pretty chill with him as i remembered them insinuating i was a potential boyfriend.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Worth noting that there's a British military base in Brunei, which the Sultan pays us handsomely to keep there in part to protect the country - so yeah, yet another entry in the long, glorious list of us propping up horrific regimes.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love sci-fi because I live vicariously through a world where we've solved our problems and gone to space to seek answers to life's larger mysteries...!!!

...instead of the real world where we are still on gay witch hunts because ...I dunno, people are scared of turning gay or some other bullshit excuse.
Cyberpunk though. Dystopian Sci-fi shows off society's flaws.

Though yeah, I wish we lived in some Star-Trek type of society.

LGBT+ rights are fucking non-existent in most Asian countries and it's fucking disgusting. It's one part of my culture I hate.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Utterly evil. These sick people need to be stopped.

Torturing and murdering people for being born different is one of the darkest abominations humanity is capable of. For fuck's sake, somebody stop them.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know that homosexuality is also illegal (although not really enforced) in Singapore? Majority of Asian countries are still backwards in this regard, which is just sad.

Not to attack strawmen, but I wonder if the same people who explain that sexism and misogyny in Asia are deeply profound cultural things we couldn't begin to understand (and calling them out actually makes us racists) also feel similarly about laws against homosexuality.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for religion, terrible people like this would find another excuse.

But terrible people already exist in the world and yet the only countries that have a death penalty for gay people are very religious

Afghanistan
Brunei
Iran
Mauritania
Sudan
Nigeria
Yemen
Saudi Arabia
Qatar
Somalia

You can't divorce the connection here. In particular several of these countries only have the death penalty in place if you're a Muslim.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Finally, a sensible law where the consequence is to smoke weed

*puts hand over ear*
What's that again? You mean actually throwing stones like fucking barbarians? Fuck those pieces of shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
But terrible people already exist in the world and yet the only countries that have a death penalty for gay people are very religious

Afghanistan
Brunei
Iran
Mauritania
Sudan
Nigeria
Yemen
Saudi Arabia
Qatar
Somalia

You can't divorce the connection here. In particular several of these countries only have the death penalty in place if you're a Muslim.

Last time i checked, there are other countries than these that are also very religious. I think the only consensus we can go for is that terrible people exist in all walks of life.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
That's super annoying.

Idk why these laws Exist. LGBTQ community don't deserve the shit they get around the world. Let them live their lives in happiness.

Sometimes I shake my head at some of these Muslims and wonder wtf, get with modern times. As a Muslim myself it's infuriating. Leave them alone, everyone deserves happiness.