• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
You mean like Moonlight or Get Out over the past 2 years? It's the first time a spanish (let alone mixtec) speaking film is even nominated for best picture. None of the foreign films nominated for best picture (11) have won the award before.
As I said. Tell us why Roma is exceptional without including or bringing up works that serve to bring attention to other people's/events. I'll be watching it tonight btw, but saying it should win because moves that are Afrocentric have been winning a lot sounds terrible.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
As I said. Tell us why Roma is exceptional without including or bringing up works that serve to bring attention to other people's/events. I'll be watching it tonight btw, but saying it should win because moves that are Afrocentric have been winning a lot sounds terrible.
I didn't say that it should win, and certainly not because Moonlight won 2 years ago/there have been other black led noms recently. I said it's way more of a unique case, it's crazy how Roma is up there competing for best movie, and Yalitza is competing for best actress. It's not something that's ever happened. I said it's odd how it's not seen as the more "progressive" choice.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Stop using 'delicious' as an adjective for things that aren't food. It is always creepy.

How deliciously moist

hqdefault.jpg

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
The Academy and its members are trash. If you don't watch every nominated movie in its entirety, your ass shouldn't be voting for that particular category.

Blackkklansman was great, but the soundtrack was comical to the point of being distracting during certain scenes.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
What a hot take. It's Rosa de Guadalupe, and that's a god damn episodic soap opera. The point of that TV show is that some sort of religious miracle happens every episode, and when it does there is the wind blows all of a sudden and the main theme starts. How can you compare that to such a gorgeous film as Roma. I recommend you get your eyes checked.
Don't get why Black Panther and Blackkklansman are seen as the huge progressive movies, while people are ignoring that there is a mexican produced (US bankrolled tho) film is out there, starring an indigenous woman. And the second protagonist is also a woman.

La Rosa de Guadalupe, right. I did not mean that in a bad way, is just that I dont know how to describe the movie. It is weird, because I felt the movie as something very real, and something close to home, and maybe is that why I dont see it as something extraordinary. I am not sure if that makes sense.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Of course Mirai gets ignored. Typical of the Academy to ignore Japanese films.

I loved Spider Man and hope it wins but im still bitter over Spirited Away getting shafted.
Spirited Away won the Oscar for best animated feature though. I assume you're referring to some other film? There have been many snubs like The Wind Rises and Princess Kaguya losing to mediocre films like Frozen and Big Hero 6. I liked Mirai a lot but I really do think Spider-Man deserves the award. I want more animated films to take risks like this and try new techniques.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Spirited Away won the Oscar for best animated feature though. I assume you're referring to some other film? There have been many snubs like The Wind Rises and Princess Kaguya losing to mediocre films like Frozen and Big Hero 6. I liked Mirai a lot but I really do think Spider-Man deserves the award. I want more animated films to take risks like this and try new techniques.

It was The Tale of the Princess Kaguya my bad. The oscars are decided by old white guys and "chinese cartoons" rarely stand a chance. Spirited Away had Disney pushing it in the west so it actually got recognition.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-no-773905

This article makes me angry because this dumbass voted for Big Hero 6 because his kid liked it and it was popular. I honestly would not be shocked if Spider Man lost out to The Incredibles 2 or Wreck it Ralph 2.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that I wouldn't have enjoyed (savored for wit's sake) Roma at home, so I saw it for the first time at a public viewing. The audience's chit-chat made that experience worth it; elders complementing the movie's historical context and everyone witnessing those 2 heavy moments. Hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone single "character" in that show is written and acted by aliens who've never actually seen a human being before.

It is a very low budget program (Roma is low budget), it has a lot of unknown actors (Roma has lots of unknown actors) and the setting is somewhat similar to some episodes, but thats where both stop being similar.
Roma has a different structure, but I just didnt understand the story all too well.

I mean, at the end of the day it was just me watching all the difficult situations Cleo went through, but the ending was just this is the new normal.
She didnt really change much from her first appearance, she was still just the lovely maid that helps the children, but I dont think she grew any bit in the movie. Mom understood they where alone and got ready to start anew, children were sad and thats about it.

The comparison is wrong, is just that that how I perceived the movie.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? So many better movies.
I physically made an "ugh" sound when the maudlin teaser trailer opened with just her singing and was followed by the hushed reverence of Bradley Cooper's admiration and the silent logo fade-in. Then I heard "Shallow" on the radio and somehow it was even worse (read: more generic, more corny, and more maudlin) than I expected.

That all said, I haven't heard anything but praise for Gaga's performance in it.
:thinkingemoji:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reducing a Star is Born to whatever the fuck that moron wrote is insulting.

That movie moved me far more than anything else this year.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
The Favourite is an amazing movie and it should be the winner.
BlacKkKlansman is a good movie that the last 10min elevates to greatness. I wish it got more recognition.
Black Panther being in the Oscars is a bad joke.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with the sudden hate for Roma? I feel that the movie did a terrific job in portraying the social inequality that people suffer in a country like Mexico, both in the 70's and even today, while also doing a job that was obsessive in nailing every detail to make the movie feel like it was filmed 50 years ago in Mexico City, with also some of the best camera shots that I had ever seen.

Is because the movie is in netflix, too mexican, or both?
None of the above.

As beautifully shot as it is, it is also so, so, so damn slow. And as another member astutely pointed out, I do believe that is no doubt intentional to reflect her at times mundane existence. However unless a person is looking forward to mundane, it can make it very challenging to sit through. Simply put, it is a pretty damn boring movie. And if one is not in the mood for it for whatever reason, which can be any number of reasons, even if it is shot beautifully one still needs to be engaged.
My wife was asleep within 30 minutes and I fell asleep about 80 minutes in. I NEVER fall asleep for movies. Never. Yet there I was.
Especially since it was being so hyped up as a must see movie. It feel short I felt. I simply was just not in the right mood to view it when I did, and the fact others had said how brilliant it was when I felt it was anything but, made it seem way less impressive than it may actually be.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% right about Roma. That was honestly the most boring movie I have watched in the past 10 years and I honestly don't know how people can stay awake during that. When nothing happens for 90% of the movie, then it's a terrible movie. Sleep inducing pretentious rubbish that only gets praised because of who directed it. Any other director would have gotten trashed for making a movie like that.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, when I saw the ending for BlacKKKlansman, I started crying. I still get choked up thinking about it. If I could vote I would have to vote for something that gave me that kind of response. I don't think any other movie has ever done that to me before.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First Reformed was robbed and I don't care what anyone else says
Not only is the shunning of First Reformed a disgrace, but Death of Stalin's total snubbing is a goddam tragedy.

The fact that Suspiria isn't nominated for cinematography is approaching war crime status.

Fuck the Oscars, always and forever. Go hand Kramer vs. Kramer another Best Movie over Apocalypse Now and skip Scorcese's entire career until Gangs of New York.

What did Glengarry Glenn Ross win? Oh yeah, nothing. Al Pacino was the sole nominee out of the entire production.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He basically said that a Marvel movie wouldn't be out of place at #3 in any given year. I like this guy.

Not only is the shunning of First Reformed a disgrace, but Death of Stalin's total snubbing is a goddam tragedy.

The fact that Suspiria isn't nominated for cinematography is approaching war crime status.

Fuck the Oscars, always and forever. Go hand Kramer vs. Kramer another Best Movie over Apocalypse Now and skip Scorcese's entire career until Gangs of New York.

What did Glengarry Glenn Ross win? Oh yeah, nothing. Al Pacino was the sole nominee out of the entire production.

I enjoyed the hell out of Death Of Stalin, but the Academy has never respected comedy.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
100% right about Roma. That was honestly the most boring movie I have watched in the past 10 years and I honestly don't know how people can stay awake during that. When nothing happens for 90% of the movie, then it's a terrible movie. Sleep inducing pretentious rubbish that only gets praised because of who directed it. Any other director would have gotten trashed for making a movie like that.

If it's the most boring film you've seen in the past 10 years, then I seriously wonder what films you're watching.

Also, "pretentious" is basically a word that gets thrown around whenever someone doesn't like a film but can't articulate why. If the film bored you, fine - no film is for everyone. But unless you know Cuaron and his intent, I don't understand what was pretentious about it.

It may have gotten more of a spotlight because of Cuaron and his track record, but it didn't get praised because of it.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the hell out of Death Of Stalin, but the Academy has never respected comedy.
Truth.

Having prisoners shout "Long live Stalin" before they're executed while high command struggles to handle Stalin's death might be the best joke I heard outside of the US presidency last year.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I didn't say that it should win, and certainly not because Moonlight won 2 years ago/there have been other black led noms recently. I said it's way more of a unique case, it's crazy how Roma is up there competing for best movie, and Yalitza is competing for best actress. It's not something that's ever happened. I said it's odd how it's not seen as the more "progressive" choice.
yea I liked it better then both those other choices. Just finished it. What's that thing about it being a bad TV movie? It was gorgeous on my 60 inch. Anyway, I liked Blackkklansman but I saw it first week. I might need to rewatch it. This was beautifully shot. The cinematography is leagues better than the other movies I've seen this past year.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Again, these awards are not and have never been about what's best, it's politics and what studio who schmoozed/bribed enough voters.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Imagine calling Roma a home movie
Imagine seeing The Favourite and being like "But what's the point"
Imagine talking about the Foreign Film nominees and not even mentioning Shoplifters

Funny that he mentions the Charlottesville footage making Blackkklansman for him, it ruined the film for me. I felt it was way too forced and on the nose.
Nah, the Charlottesville footage was justified in reminding people this isn't just some quirky true story that happened ages ago that has little relevance now and Spike Lee is not one for subtlety ever.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
The only reason I want Roma to get snubbed is that awful, dehumanising, hateful commercial Alfonso Cuaron made for Autism Speaks.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
tfw reality is too on the nose
Nah, the Charlottesville footage was justified in reminding people this isn't just some quirky true story that happened ages ago that has little relevance now and Spike Lee is not one for subtlety ever.
The thing is, everybody I know knows about Charlottesville. It's not like it's some lesser known race riot (of which I'm pretty sure there are lots), Charlottesville was literally one of the biggest news stories worldwide in 2017.

Most people in the (Western) world know how relevant Blackkklansman is in the modern context and people who don't probably wouldn't go out to watch a Spike Lee movie anyway. It's not like the movie before that was subtle with it's modern day references, but to straight up include footage from a very well known event is just pandering to shock value and felt like Spike Lee didn't trust the audience enough to even understand the smallest bit of subtlety.

But looking at this Brutally Honest Ballot I guess he's right, because this voter apparently completely missed the very obvious socio-political criticisms in Roma and The Favourite, yet he's praising Blackkklansman for spoonfeeding you it's message with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to your face.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The thing is, everybody I know knows about Charlottesville. It's not like it's some lesser known race riot (of which I'm pretty sure there are lots), Charlottesville was literally one of the biggest news stories worldwide in 2017.

Most people in the (Western) world know how relevant Blackkklansman is in the modern context and people who don't probably wouldn't go out to watch a Spike Lee movie anyway. It's not like the movie before that was subtle with it's modern day references, but to straight up include footage from a very well known event is just pandering to shock value and felt like Spike Lee didn't trust the audience enough to even understand the smallest bit of subtlety.

But looking at this Brutally Honest Ballot I guess he's right, because this voter apparently completely missed the very obvious socio-political criticisms in Roma and The Favourite, yet he's praising Blackkklansman for spoonfeeding you it's message with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to your face.
Your clued-in circle isn't the target of the film, it's the general public who doesn't know the ins and outs of current neo-nazi movements. I don't believe it's about people's knowledge of Charlottesville, anyway. It's tying the KKK to the current more sneaky form of white bigots who obfuscate the general public with terms like "white nationalist" or "alt-right" or "ethnonationalist", are fashionable, pander to centrists, but really it's just the KKK/neo-nazis all over again but under a new flag. If the Charlottesville footage wasn't in the film at all, then people won't be able to see the connection and evolution of mainstreaming white hatred which still ends up in violence. Nothing has changed since the KKK except for the aesthetics.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Your clued-in circle isn't the target of the film, it's the general public who doesn't know the ins and outs of current neo-nazi movements. I don't believe it's about people's knowledge of Charlottesville, anyway. It's tying the KKK to the current more sneaky form of white bigots who obfuscate the general public with terms like "white nationalist" or "alt-right" or "ethnonationalist", are fashionable, pander to centrists, but really it's just the KKK/neo-nazis all over again but under a new flag. If the Charlottesville footage wasn't in the film at all, then people won't be able to see the connection and evolution of mainstreaming white hatred which still ends up in violence. Nothing has changed since the KKK except for the aesthetics.
This is a movie that literally has the KKK shouting "Make America great again", I'm not sure how people would see that and not immediately link it to modern white hatred and the modern political right. It also doesn't exist in a vacuum, if people pay attention to news, tv, movies you can immediately see the political and social relevance of Blackkklansman.

Then again, a big part of America still stands behind Trump, so perhaps you're right.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The only reason I want Roma to get snubbed is that awful, dehumanising, hateful commercial Alfonso Cuaron made for Autism Speaks.
He has an autistic child
Dosent he have an autistic son? I watched the ad when it came out, it was definetly misguided, outdated... but it didn't strike me as being made with malice. Why would anyone hate someone with autism?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm forgetting something, the sexuality is all purposefully grotesque. It's a Lanthimos film after all.

The movie is packed with grotesqueness, but I don't think its purpose is necessarily to turn you off.

The Queen's sickness wasn't pretty, for example, but it was incredibly real. Abigail seductively tending to the lesions on her leg was a fantastic scene on multiple levels.

It's funny reading takes like this one. I'm pretty sure one of the first things I said to my girlfriend after we finished watching it was something like "it's one of those movies I could stay lost in for hours."

The way Roma so richly recreated this cultural and historical moment, organically but with a touch of the magic that comes with nostalgia... For me, it did something relatively rare: captured the timelessness of a nice walk. You know how sometimes the environment around you can put you in this zen state, where this feeling of immersion in the world is all the stimulation you need? Roma, along with other movies like Princess Mononoke, is now up there among the movies I enjoy on that level.

Plenty of things happened in Roma, though. It's pretty ridiculous to say nothing happens for 90% of the movie.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
It's heartbreaking how films like Roma have their days numbered cause the short attention span generation cant stay awake for couple of hours.