• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good. I hope after this he doesn't go back into retirement/reclusiveness though

And admittedly I am not a trans person but he felt like he didn't attack them or insult them in this special

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
15min into Equanimity and i already had a couple of good laughs (germany - don't search for Dave Chapelle but for Equanimity).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What was the context of the "cut their dicks off" joke?
It wasn't a joke. It was a throwaway line. He said if someone wants to do that, they should be able to.

I will fully agree that Chapelle's been tone deaf in this matter. Even his aside was a bit defensive, but it's worth listening to because he actually addresses the criticism directly. But I don't think he will satisfies all his critics on the issue. Like another poster said, it's clumsy.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
And that's ignoring all the people who are trans and not white who have problems with his jokes.

And he may not be willing to admit he has a problem with us, but when his jokes have boiled down to "You're just men in dresses", that's not showing us the dignity that he says we deserve.

The fundamental disagreement you have with Dave Chappelle is you don't think he should joke in this way about you. He will never agree with you on that. Most comedians will never agree with you on that.

You can choose to read his thoughts and feelings based on his material, or you can listen to the large block of serious time he gave to his thoughts and feelings on the matter. If clarifying that and telling the portion of his audience that would do harm to trans persons to fuck off (paraphrase) isn't good enough for you, that's the best he was going to do for you. He clearly felt like he owed you an explanation, not an apology.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fundamental disagreement you have with Dave Chappelle is you don't think he should joke in this way about you. He will never agree with you on that. Most comedians will never agree with you on that.

You can choose to read his thoughts and feelings based on his material, or you can listen to the large block of serious time he gave to his thoughts and feelings on the matter. If clarifying that and telling the portion of his audience that would do harm to trans persons to fuck off (paraphrase) isn't good enough for you, that's the best he was going to do for you. He clearly felt like he owed you an explanation, not an apology.

No, no one has said that. But when your jokes are "you're just men" that's not a joke. That's just what transphobic assholes say to us to insult us on a regular basis. And he didn't address those "jokes" in any way, because he didn't think those were the ones we found offensive. There is a serious reason why so many trans people have problems with these jokes, and its not that we can't handle any jokes whatsoever. Its that these are just blatant insults to us.

There are plenty of other prodding jokes you can make about groups, including trans people, that can be funny. But just spouting transphobic nonsense and saying "I don't have any bad views about trans people, I just love saying you all look like men in dresses" isn't funny to trans people. A good joke should get the group you're poking at to laugh too.

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't a joke and I think you're inferring the opposite of what he's saying.

He's not erasing anyone. He's saying this type of response to this material only exists because white men are in on it. If anything the commentary here is that he feels that if trans was racially exclusive to non-whites, this discourse would not be treated the same way.

He's completely right about that but think it was clumsy.
I can see how it can be interpreted both ways. It's clumsy at the very least. While it might genuinely just be a comment on those people who wouldn't have cared if there weren't white people involved, the way he tells this to me also seemed to imply that being transgender is itself white privilege. I might be wrong on that, but I don't think it's that crazy to infer that from what he said and how he said it. He also could've made that point without claiming outright that it is 'insulting to black people' that these things are being talked about.
What the fuck.

Thanks for elaborating, I wasn't sure if I could watch this after rumors had been floating around that he was still using trans jokes as material. That is some....not good sounding stuff, especially including the sidelining of trans people of color. I think this will remain a pass for me.
I would very much recommend watching it yourself too and not basing your opinions purely on my impressions - the things I take away from it might be different from yours.
Read the whole thread. The poster misrepresented Chappelles' statement heavily.
I'd appreciate it if you'd respond to me directly with an explanation of how I 'heavily misrepresented' his statement instead of simply presenting that as an undeniable fact in a reply to someone else. I don't mean that in a snarky way, I'd just genuinely appreciate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think "hidden dick" jokes perpetuate the idea in too many shitty people that it's okay to feel shocked and angered at trans women and men for the nature of their genitals. Which typically leads to violence and emotional abuse. So while I think the idea of "I make fun of everyone so it's okay" has some merit, there still needs to be consideration for the types of jokes one tells.

Those serve no real purpose other than to put people down for something they may not have control over (or is a personal choice that is no one else's business), and can have a damaging effect on the outlook of people who are unwilling to understand and appreciate the trans experience, and the history of violence against trans people.

I'll have to watch myself and see if he understands what he is doing here and owns up to it. I couldn't stomach his earlier material.

Last edited:

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I can see how it can be interpreted both ways. It's clumsy at the very least. While it might genuinely just be a comment on those people who wouldn't have cared if there weren't white people involved, the way he tells this to me also seemed to imply that being transgender is itself white privilege. I might be wrong on that, but I don't think it's that crazy to infer that from what he said and how he said it. He also could've made that point without claiming outright that it is 'insulting to black people' that these things are being talked about.

I would very much recommend watching it yourself too and not basing your opinions purely on my impressions - the things I take away from it might be different from yours.

I'd appreciate it if you'd respond to me directly with an explanation of how I 'heavily misrepresented' his statement instead of simply presenting that as an undeniable fact in a reply to someone else. I don't mean that in a snarky way, I'd just genuinely appreciate it.
Someone already did. Didn't feel the need the need to pile on. But noted. In the end, I gotta remember that people are going to see things differently. And that doesn't make it made up. So I apologize for saying "misrepresented."

It is a touchy subject, so posters are going to bring up their unique points of view.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
No, no one has said that. But when your jokes are "you're just men" that's not a joke. That's just what transphobic assholes say to us to insult us on a regular basis. And he didn't address those "jokes" in any way, because he didn't think those were the ones we found offensive. There is a serious reason why so many trans people have problems with these jokes, and its not that we can't handle any jokes whatsoever. Its that these are just blatant insults to us.

They are jokes. They're structured with a set-up, lead and punch-line. They're designed to solicit laughter. You can read whatever malice you want out of them, but you're objectively not correct about them being anything other than punchlines.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a joke. It was a throwaway line. He said if someone wants to do that, they should be able to.

I will fully agree that Chapelle's been tone deaf in this matter. Even his aside was a bit defensive, but it's worth listening to because he actually addresses the criticism directly. But I don't think he will satisfies all his critics on the issue. Like another poster said, it's clumsy.

I appreciate the answer and will consider watching these to come to a judgement for myself.

As an aside, it is troubling to see this barely veiled aggression against trans people simmering just below the surface in this thread, with remarks such as "Every Chappelle thread", "Enjoy this thread while you can", and "Is that good enough for you". I think it's important to have a discussion about this, especially considering his history. If Dave is able to grow and learn from this as a person then I will be happy for him.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And that's ignoring all the people who are trans and not white who have problems with his jokes.

That's not really the case though. He was saying that whether the people having issues with his material were white or not, the conversation would not happen in a public platform if white men were not inside that group of people finding his work troubling.

What you're saying is another talk entirely.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the answer and will consider watching these to come to a judgement for myself.

As an aside, it is troubling to see this barely veiled aggression against trans people simmering just below the surface in this thread, with remarks such as "Every Chappelle thread", "Enjoy this thread while you can", and "Is that good enough for you". I think it's important to have a discussion about this, especially considering his history. If Dave is able to grow and learn from this as a person then I will be happy for him.
To be honest, I still think it was a clumsy segment. He does comes off as defensive, but it is a rather serious aside. He not piling on with more jokes in the segment. You may not be satisfied with his take. My point is more to see it for yourself and make your conclusions.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are jokes. They're structured with a set-up, lead and punch-line. They're designed to solicit laughter. You can read whatever malice you want out of them, but you're objectively not correct about them being anything other than punchlines.

No, his own views in the matter very clearly are showing in those "jokes". There's a reason he kept using the you're really men and man in dresses stuff, as well as having jokes about how he shouldn't have to respect pronouns. Again, there's a reason SO MANY trans people have a problem with these jokes. I don't think I've seen one trans person who liked them because they're designed to solicit people laughing at trans people for being this weird other.

They don't want us to be too uppity. They just want to laugh at us with Chappelle.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
No, his own views in the matter very clearly are showing in those "jokes".

Just like his views on crackheads were showing? Or his views on AIDs? Or his views on police brutality?

Just because you say this, doesn't make it the truth. He took a break from the comedy in his special to address this. Accept it or don't, but his position is those were jokes and the content of this special is his clarification on how he feels.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Heaven forbid people talk about the material in the special in a thread about the special.

Did I say you couldn't discuss it? No, please go ahead.
KANYE_WEST.png

Oct 31, 2017
My god, less than 10 mins into Equanimity; Dave swag is over 9000. He's legit the Lebron of comedy, an all time great in his prime, showing no signs of slowing down.

We are witness

UTiii

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't want us to be too uppity. They just want to laugh at us with Chappelle.

No fun allowed, yes I want to laugh at you. I also want to laugh at me, laugh at Dave, laugh at his white people jokes, laugh at his black people jokes. Why do you think you should be excluded? I thought that's the opposite of what you would want, exclusion and all.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Idk about you guys but I really hate it whenever the audience bursts into rowdy applause everytime Chappelle says even the slightest negative thing about Trump. To me it just reeks of "cheering him on because he agrees with me". It gets under my skin. Not Chappelle's fault just my problem with the crowd.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No fun allowed, yes I want to laugh at you. I also want to laugh at me, laugh at Dave, laugh at his white people jokes, laugh at his black people jokes. Why do you think you should be excluded? I thought that's the opposite of what you would want, exclusion and all.

I literally already explained this a few posts before yours. There are ways to make fun of trans people without resorting to invalidating our identities and resorting to basic insults that transphobic assholes use against us on a regular basis. Transwomen do not want to be called men, and that really shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to watch later when I have the time.

He talks about it and says he makes fun about everybody. So if anybody is offended AGAIN its time to get a new hobby because if you cant laugh about jokes just because its about you its time to do something else.

I'm from poland and there are so many jokes about us here in germany and you dont see me cry about it. If the joke is good i laugh about it. If its lame then its lame and it doesnt get a laugh from me. Simple.

Being from Poland = being a marginalized and commonly attacked minority now. You heard it here first folks.

That's not what he says at all. If anyone wants to know without watching the special:

He says he pissed off the trans community and tells the story of a letter a trans fan wrote him about how devestated they were by his material. The letter upset him and while he has a policy to not feel bad about anything he says or does on stage, he felt bad because they felt bad. He tells the joke he think hurt them (a bit about how he thinks Caitlyn Jenner posing nude would be gross, but mostly because he wouldn't have the strength to NOT look at them. This includes a bit about posing Hustler style, with spread lips and a hidden dick).

He said he reflected on the fact that he has a bunch of trans material and asked himself whether or not he has a problem with transgender peoples. He says no, he doesn't and clarifies that he believes they deserve dignity and safety. He also says that, as a black man, he wonders if this level of touchy discourse would exist if white men didn't want to transition. He asks "since when does America give a fuck how we feel on the inside". He goes into another bit about unknowingly dancing with a transwoman at a club, being surprised by that but taking her home and titty fucking her because "those breasts are as real as any others in LA".

1) That's not the "joke" people have had issue with by and large.

2) This erases the existence of black transwomen (and transmen)....which seems to be all too common a behavior from black cismen. Not to mention the high murder rate of black transwomen or the fact they started the LGBT movement. etc.

Last edited:

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk about you guys but I really hate it whenever the audience bursts into rowdy applause everytime Chappelle says even the slightest negative thing about Trump. To me it just reeks of "cheering him on because he agrees with me". It gets under my skin. Not Chappelle's fault just my problem with the crowd.

I think they were cheering because it was funny, because it was

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017

The disagreement isn't that jokes shouldn't be made about us, it's that a lot of his old jokes were simply a regurgitation of transphobic rhetoric. They weren't so much jokes as things that are said on a regular basis to us to dismiss, insult, and demonize us. It was simply the same rhetoric that is used to push legislation that denies us our rights. From watching this special, I didn't get the impression that he realizes this.

Similarly, I take specific issue with the 'hidden penis' joke because we are murdered and assaulted over these things.
I see this too and it's making me extremely uncomfortable...

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ketkat isn't even going to watch the specials and I'm thinking didn't even watch the other ones.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
I think they were cheering because it was funny, because it was

I didn't say the jokes weren't funny. Just that in the portions of his bit where he slowed down to build up a punchline, people began to clap and cheer before he finished his Trump joke. That just got under my skin.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I noticed this too.

Deleted member 11501

Permanently banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
The cut your dick of joke was savage but funny, people need to lighten up a bit and accept every section of society will he joked about for entertainment.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Being from Poland = being a marginalized and commonly attacked minority now. You heard it here first folks.

Thats not what i was saying at all. But nice try putting words in my mouth. Do you feel better now bullying somebody?

"You heard it here first folks"....good job buddy !

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the first part of the special. I wanna say it was just as good if not a little better than the previous first special.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

It's clumsy because he did the bare minimum apology for something he probably feels he shouldn't have to address but will because it's the "right thing to do"

Then again I'm also the type to never believe an apology because 9 out of 10 times you have to offer it if you ever plan on making money again.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's clumsy because he did the bare minimum apology for something he probably feels he shouldn't have to address but will because it's the "right thing to do"

Then again I'm also the type to never believe an apology because 9 out of 10 times you have to offer it if you ever plan on making money again.
To be clear, it was never meant to be an apology. It was an explanation. He seriously addressed it, but I didn't see it as an apology.

That's why I told another poster to not get your hopes up. However, I do think it was a start of some dialogue from Chapelle. Yeah, low ceiling, but some progress at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.