Status
Not open for further replies.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the whole point of comedy.

Pushing buttons, getting people to think about stuff in a different light or turning the world upside down. He's not preaching or telling people how to live or getting elected to office, he's just mouthing off about things in our society that seem strange/wrong or funny.
For a lot of comedians the stuff they can't talk/joke about is the most challenging and thus the most interesting part of their jobs.
And when people come in here and say "he's got a good point though!" and especially when they agree with his bullshit about trans people, that's when I get mad. Not at all surprised, but mad. Because it IS wrong.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You watched the video above (or I assume you did) and partially agreed on his thoughts on transcripts, so I thought I'd warn you in advance after you speaking about Dave using bitch, if you watch more Jim Jefferies, be prepared!
Again I'm not a child I get it he likes to say a gendered insult a lot.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a black person, I think it's pretty effed up to use MLK and his fight for civil rights against women trying to make it in comedy that are hurt by Louis CK masturbating to them over the phone. Two completely different things, incomparable and it's basically the same bullshit we always get on people for. Using MLK as a trap card you can play for "see? Be like that!"

I think you're taking this joke way too literally. His joke is outlandish, he's comparing an actresses' dream to MLK. It's just a joke playing on the famous "I have a dream." Literally anything by a comedian can be twisted into something hateful, ignorant and offensive if you take it that way.

Also, this:

But don't you see the "how are you going to survive in show business?" as an indicator of how fucking rotten Hollywood/show business is? Like, harassing masturbation is awful, but it's Hollywood/show business, full on rape, physical assault and violence seem to be the next hurdle for half the industry. Therefore, a dark comic joke that if you really want to pursue your dreams, you better be ready for much worse.

Is a correct observation (i.e. spelling out the joke). Dave is not making a statement saying "Ohhh it's just mild sexual abuse get over it bitch" he's actually making a well-written joke about the recent revelations.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's for comedic effect, as Jim says, saying something to be funny is not necessarily stating your opinion. If your main issue is Dave saying bitch, I don't recommend you watch Jim Jeffries as due to being an Australian, he says cunt fairly often. Speaking of that, transcript from his latest show

http://scrapsfromtheloft.com/2017/04/11/jim-jefferies-freedumb-2016-full-transcript/

Then in that transcript, he at least says it 20 times in his special.
You've made a new fan of Jim. Dude is legit funny. Been watching clips on youtube and noticed he has specials on Netflix too. Can't wait.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're taking this joke way too literally. His joke is outlandish, he's comparing an actresses' dream to MLK. It's just a joke playing on the famous "I have a dream." Literally anything by a comedian can be twisted into something hateful, ignorant and offensive if you take it that way.
But people on this page are agreeing with him

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again I'm not a child I get it he likes to say a gendered insult a lot.

Just so it's clear I wasn't calling you a child.

You've made a new fan of Jim. Dude is legit funny. Been watching clips on youtube and noticed he has specials on Netflix too. Can't wait.

Freedumb appears to be on Netflix, so any who subbed for Dave should be able to see it. From the transcript, it appears Trump is going to take a bit of a beating! I kind of thought that from the "Freedumb" naming lol

And then… you got Donald Trump. Now… every time I've recorded a special… The other specials I've recorded in America have been in New York, San Francisco and Boston. And everyone's called me a fucking pussy… with my liberal agenda. Well, I'm in fucking Nashville right now. [audience cheering] And if you wanna shoot me, now is the perfect time. [chuckling] There's eight cameras on me. [audience laughing] [man whoops] I think we're good. I think we're good. Isn't it sad that the country has gotten to the stage that when you buy theater tickets, you go, "Get ones in the aisle, so we can run"? Everyone wanted to get the middle. We're like, "No, you're sitting ducks in the middle…" So anyway, Donald Trump.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about people who specifically agreed with him saying the women have brittle spirits and comparing them to MLK
He is using offensive words as a joke and mixing with commentary that women should always fight back against such evil men and his point that good men are the grEatest ally all women will have when these evil men stop being afraid and start reacting against women again

His subtext and subtlety is great and needs to be studied

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is using offensive words as a joke and mixing with commentary that women should always fight back against such evil men and his point that good men are the grEatest ally all women will have when these evil men stop being afraid and start reacting against women again

His subtext and subtlety is great and needs to be studied
Yeah you know I've heard that before and it honestly sounds like a threat or blackmail.

" just remember women us good men are all you'll have!"

Not saying that's what Dave is saying, but the way you say it sounds a little sketchy to me.

Thisman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you know I've heard that before and it honestly sounds like a threat or blackmail.

" just remember women us good men are all you'll have!"

Not saying that's what Dave is saying, but the way you say it sounds a little sketchy to me.

If you actually saw the 2nd one which I assume you did in no way can anyone conceive that as a threat but as a stretched hand

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Really liked both specials. Return to form for one of the great stand up artists of this generation.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You misrepresenting stuff cheapens your argument. Louis CK did more than just masturbate on the phone. Adam Sandler continuously put his hand back on her leg even though she clearly didn't want it there. That did get a lot of criticism and it's fair that it did. Men are too handsy. Even if that kind of behaviour doesn't cause trauma for life, keep your hands at bay.

And Chapelle's whole "if that breaks you, you are a weakling woman" shit is pretty dishonest considering how many top women from Hollywood have come out as victims of such behaviour. So women didn't back down on their dreams. Some probably did but victim shaming them is gross. Some people are worse at dealing with that kind of stress (often for good reason) and it's not wrong to go all "I didn't realize Hollywood was filled with this many disgusting pigs, I'm out" even if they aren't.
Is this satire because you just proved his point.

No, Sandler did not repeatedly put his hand in her leg and no, Foy did not indicate that "she did not want it there". And the blanket statement that "Men are too handsy" is funny when Foy did the exact same thing to Matt Smith in the same context in the same show.

And Chappelle absolutely did not say that every victim of such behaviour is "a weakling".

Jesus, talk about misrepresenting things...

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to explain jokes to people who don't get them and try to take anything literally.

This works both ways. Some people might think Dave is serious about certain things he obviously is not serious about because they cannot separate the joke from commentary.
And some others might consider everything he says offensive because they don't understand why people would use such offensive words in jokes to begin with.

Also any comedian after being told that something is offensive would double down on it and make it even worse.
The dumbest thing you could do is to write Dave a letter about how it offends you, because then your letter becomes the next joke or punchline.
In reality though there probably never was a letter and he just responded to social media outrage about what he said in general.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's clear to me that lots of people here don't give a shit about cis- and transwomen.

Yup,

I'm leaning towards Scott Adams' take on all comedy criticism these days. Which is that about 30% of the population have no sense of humor.
If you didn't see what Dave was going for with this special in the intro (why is everyone so sensitive?) and on purpose trying to push peoples' buttons, the show and his style of comedy is simply not for you.

Not to mention that has been Dave's thing in his earlier shows as well. From black Bush, the Black White Supremacist all the way to sprinkling coke on traffic offenders accidentally shot by police.
I would say he has even toned it down a notch compared to his earlier material. Because yes, people have gotten so sensitive about everything.

Scott Adams is a nazi apologist and a Trump supporter, so not sure why you would want to align with his views

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's clear to me that lots of people here don't give a shit about cis- and transwomen.

Scott Adams is a nazi apologist and a Trump supporter, so not sure why you would want to align with his views

Basically, as long as I get my yucks, then any marginalized group can fuck off is the opinions of many in this thread.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Is this satire because you just proved his point.

No, Sandler did not repeatedly put his hand in her leg and no, Foy did not indicate that "she did not want it there". And the blanket statement that "Men are too handsy" is funny when Foy did the exact same thing to Matt Smith in the same context in the same show.

And Chappelle absolutely did not say that every victim of such behaviour is "a weakling".

Jesus, talk about misrepresenting things...
Mmhmm, whatever you need to tell yourself.

It's hard to explain jokes to people who don't get them and try to take anything literally.

This works both ways. Some people might think Dave is serious about certain things he obviously is not serious about because they cannot separate the joke from commentary.
And some others might consider everything he says offensive because they don't understand why people would use such offensive words in jokes to begin with.

Also any comedian after being told that something is offensive would double down on it and make it even worse.
The dumbest thing you could do is to write Dave a letter about how it offends you, because then your letter becomes the next joke or punchline.
In reality though there probably never was a letter and he just responded to social media outrage about what he said in general.
Comedy isn't sacred. Comedy isn't above criticism.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the first one, Equanimity. Lot of great laugh moments but holy shit that last 5 mins was just insane, my wife doesn't like Chappelle and was wandering in and out of the room while it was playing but she started crying and then I bawled like a bitch ass too as he unwrapped the story, could have heard another 10 mins of that even though I know the Till story.

Chappelle really is the GOAT, he just jumps from pure potty mouth humor to deep philosophical musings in a heartbeat and you don't even feel the transition.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

But.. his routiunes contain commentary. When one of your punchlines is "Why do I have to switch up my pronoun game for this motherfucker?" that's social commentary moreso than a joke really. What he said previously might have been part of a joke (with the butt of the joke being the cliche trans person with a beard), but when you finish it up like that, how is that not blurring the line between pure comedy and commentary?

Comedians include commentary in their routines all the time; Dave even backed up that aspect of his routine in interviews.

edit: And yeah, as said below this post.. that entire "joke" was barely a joke.. it was basically "laugh because I saw a trans woman and refuse to call them anything but 'he'."

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems like people are still on the "it's a comedy show so it's alright" and don't get that the most offensive parts of his specials weren't jokes, but a story, with no set up, no punchline, nothing joke-y about it which will make you laugh if it tickles your transphobia.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, gotta finish the the Bird Revelation. I see people saying it was better than Equanimity.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
seems like people are still on the "it's a comedy show so it's alright" and don't get that the most offensive parts of his specials weren't jokes, but a story, with no set up, no punchline, nothing joke-y about it which will make you laugh if it tickles your transphobia.
He makes fun of everyone. Including himself. If it's not your brand of comedy that's alright, but he's not making these jokes specifically to delight bigots. He specifically says if you're a piece of shit don't associate yourself with my comedy

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He makes fun of everyone. Including himself. If it's not your brand of comedy that's alright, but he's not making these jokes specifically to delight bigots. He specifically says if you're a piece of shit don't associate yourself with my comedy
we've gone down this road many many times, here and in two other chappelle related threads that were locked, people have explained time and time why this is different and "he makes fun of everyone and even himself" doesn't explain the bigotry of the trans jokes, but no one who holds that position of "he makes fun of everyone" seems to back down.
it's exhausting and i'm not gonna try and explain it again

Oct 26, 2017
we've gone down this road many many times, here and in two other chappelle related threads that were locked, people have explained time and time why this is different and "he makes fun of everyone and even himself" doesn't explain the bigotry of the trans jokes, but no one who holds that position of "he makes fun of everyone" seems to back down.
it's exhausting and i'm not gonna try and explain it again

Please explain how the trans jokes are bigoted. Colorful? Sure. Offensive? I can see that. But bigoted? Wouldn't that be stretching things? When I think of bigoted trans remarks, I think of a dude saying he will kill us gladly on air while people laugh in the background. That's what I think of when defining bigots, but I understand this is a personal thing and it comes down to the individual. We can and should respect that. But can you explain why you feel it is bigoted?

Oct 24, 2017
My thoughts on The Bird Revelation;

I get it. I get him.
But...
I just don't get it, and I just don't get him.

He can talk with great eloquence and gravity about the black community, the black 'experience', black culture, and black history. That is his great strength. He is great at telling stories.

But when he moves outside of that, it just doesn't work for me at all.

At the start, he gets serious for just a second and talks about gay people and how they are strong because they had to fight for their identity, ... yet then he surrounds that with just the laziest type of 'gay jokes'... to no real point or purpose.

His view that women are 'brittle souls' or that they 'sound weak' is just wrong for so many reasons. He tried to contextualize those statements by pointing out that he is a black man, and that black people have faced injustices and racism and everything for so long, and that that didn't make MLK give up. But that comparison just doesn't work. The things being compared are entirely different. The people being compared are entirely different. The situations are entirely different. The histories are entirely different. Their contexts are entirely different.

There is no compelling point of comparison when you put this bit under any sort of scrutiny. It almost came off as some type of Oppression Olympics rant - especially in the context of his comments in Equanimity about how transgender people being talked about is 'insulting' to black people. 'Well, you have it bad - but I had it worse!'. The endgame was to use MLK's 'I have a dream' to loop back into Chappelle saying that a woman 'had no dream' because grossly inappropriate behavior by a major player in the field pushed her out of comedy.

No matter how heartfelt or eloquent or 'real' you may have found his talking about MLK and the black struggle to be, in the end it is still in the service of his view that women are 'brittle spirits', that women 'sound weak'.

His talk about #MeToo and how we should 'fight the system instead of the people' makes me feel like he is just completely missing the point … especially when he also talks about how there is a scale of sexual assault. Yes, groping someone once isn't the same as rape, but that doesn't make groping any more acceptable. They are both part of the same system. To fight this system, both need to be called out just the same. He does not seem to understand that.

He repeated several times that he believes 'the women are right' - a belief that I have no reason to doubt -, but that does not defend him from the above criticism.

Part of it is that the line between what is a joke and what is a view he holds is just ... not there.

I get frustrated when people bring up Jeffries, or Carlin, or any other comedian, in defense of Chappelle.

I am not critical of Chappelle because his jokes have certain subjects.

Jokes can be made about everything - it is all about the tone, delivery, and context.

I am critical of Chappelle because the line between what is just a joke and what is a legitimately held personal view of his just isn't there.
I am critical of Chappelle because some of his jokes very clearly do not meet the same standard he holds the rest of his work to.
I am critical of Chappelle because some of his material just does not have the tone, context, or delivery to make them work.
I am critical of Chappelle because some of the points he is trying to make indicate that he does not understand the things he is making a point about well enough to make that point about it.

There were still funny moments in the both specials, some great ones even - even with him talking or joking about subjects I think he otherwise completely dropped the ball on. He is great at telling stories, and at talking about black culture, black people, etc.

But for me those things were overshadowed by his lazy 'jokes' about transgender people and his apparent ignorance on why people had issues with them, by his lazy gay jokes, by his view that some of these women have 'brittle spirits' and 'sound weak', by the failure to create proper context for some of his material, etc.

It's just this weird mix of lazy jokes, heartfelt and eloquent stories, and the sharing of personal views about things he perhaps should take more effort to understand before bringing them into his work. And it just doesn't work for me.

So I get it … but I don't get it.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain how the trans jokes are bigoted. Colorful? Sure. Offensive? I can see that. But bigoted? Wouldn't that be stretching things? When I think of bigoted trans remarks, I think of a dude saying he will kill us gladly on air while people laugh in the background. That's what I think of when defining bigots, but I understand this is a personal thing and it comes down to the individual. We can and should respect that. But can you explain why you feel it is bigoted?
The ones in the new special I wouldn't call bigoted, but definitively the ones in the previous. Like about how we should allow trans people on the front lines because if the enemy sees a man with huge fake fits running at him, he'll be scared as shit, or about how the person he saw was "definitely a man in a dress". Just the bigoted language.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm talking about the man in a dress bit in the previous special, i would consider that bigotry. not really feeling like explaining something that should be obvious

Oct 26, 2017
The ones in the new special I wouldn't call bigoted, but definitively the ones in the previous. Like about how we should allow trans people on the front lines because if the enemy sees a man with huge fake fits running at him, he'll be scared as shit, or about how the person he saw was "definitely a man in a dress". Just the bigoted language.

I completely agree with you. But we are not talking about the last specials, are we?

Why does Mazi think the latest specials are bigoted?

Oct 26, 2017
i'm talking about the man in a dress bit in the previous special, i would consider that bigotry. not really feeling like explaining something that should be obvious

Ah. The last special. From a year ago. Not this one. Do you know which special Amory was talking about then? Why are you arguing for the bigotry of the last specials in a thread for the new specials which people don't find bigoted? Yet expect people to go along with it and assume you're talking about the latest specials? Is making a point against his old specials being bigoted, while most of us are talking about his new specials, truly something that can be said to be made in good faith? I don't. At best, it's being intellectually dishonest because we are arguing two different things and you know we're arguing two things.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah. The last special. From a year ago. Not this one. Do you know which special Amory was talking about then? Why are you arguing for the bigotry of the last specials in a thread for the new specials which people don't find bigoted? Yet expect people to go along with it and assume you're talking about the latest specials? Is making a point against his old specials being bigoted, while most of us are talking about his new specials, truly something that can be said to be made in good faith? I don't. At best, it's being intellectually dishonest because we are arguing two different things and you know we're arguing two things.
i shouldn't have jumped in without reading the last few pages as i had stopped participating in this thread since this morning. you're right, my bad
i didn't have any bad intentions tho

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying here but I really don't think mazi was arguing in bad faith or trying to paint a broad stroke about which jokes are bigoted and which jokes or not. I think they were just making the general statement in that post "Dave Chappelle makes bigoted trans jokes" which is true.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
First one Dave was at the top of his game. Second one he seemed to be a little bit uncomfortable right from the start.
And whats up with that bald dude laughing like a psycho in the front row?

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Basically, as long as I get my yucks, then any marginalized group can fuck off is the opinions of many in this thread.

Nope. When a comedian makes fun of EVERYONE (literally everyone) equally (and yes, it's equal, in fact his biggest target is *gasp* white people) then it's just COMEDY.

This is comedy.

He's right about thin-skinned people now. Holy shit.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
The first special was mostly fine. So far I fucking hate this second one. Anything can be funny, but your jokes reveal your point of view, and Chappelle's point of view reveals he doesn't know or care what it's like to be on the victim side of a sexually oppressive culture. He doesn't respect their trauma because he hasn't experienced it.

Not every woman who wants to be in comedy should have to be Martin Luther fucking King, Jr.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
The first special was mostly fine. So far I fucking hate this second one. Anything can be funny, but your jokes reveal your point of view, and Chappelle's point of view reveals he doesn't know or care what it's like to be on the victim side of a sexually oppressive culture. He doesn't respect their trauma because he hasn't experienced it.

Not every woman who wants to be in comedy should have to be Martin Luther fucking King, Jr.
Honest question: How did you interpret the transgender content of the first special such that it didn't bother you like the female comedian content of the second one did?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If you have a problem with specific posts, report them or challenge them. But please avoid making generalization one-liners about the community like that.

Eh, I'm pretty sure trans-continental people know the most about being discriminated against.
Knock off the personal jabs like that. You're not helping making this thread less toxic.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please keep it civil going forward in this thread. We understand there are very divergent views on a few of the topics in the comedy sets, but this by no means excuses personal attacks in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.