• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I just finished the campaign for Destiny 2 because we badly wanted a game that would fill our Borderlands hole (we've put 300+ hours into both Borderlands and the Pre-Sequel).

Needless to say, Destiny 2 has proven to be a pretty horrible game from a complete package standpoint. Bungie seems unable to figure out how to make a cut scene link into gameplay. The story was horrible (so much so we grew increasingly annoyed everytime we were pulled away for one of the many cutscenes).

Its sad because the gunplay is excellent. The controlls are excellent. But my god the world and story wrapped around those elements are beyond horrible. Even the music was crap, which I did not expect at all from Bungie given how good Halo was with music.

Things I'd do to fix it:

- Reboot the whole story, its horrible. Get rid of every character and stop hiring Too Human character design artist (thats a joke, but the characters do look ridiculously video gamey and bad)
- Give a much wider variety of enemy designs, I felt like I was fighting the exact same enemies over and over again.
- Why am I being pulled into 3rd person in the farm/end game area? And if you are going to force us into that, why are the character animations so bad? These areas serious suck.
- Hire new voice actors for your key NPC's. At best they are bland, at worse they sound cheap.
- Change loot drops so they arent silly glow orbs, take borderlands method of actually showing the weapon/armor/item.
- More weapons with more variety please. I like modding the weapons and thats nice, but I really want substantially more from this.
- Why the hell is the skill tree so Tiny? Borderlands takes forever to get down your skill trees and it makes leveling up feel AMAZING! so why the heck are the skill trees here so tiny? It really kills replayablity.

Ha yeah, speaking of the story when I was playing this with my friend I kept being pulled out of the story. I'm the only guardian with light huh? So who are all these other jamokes running around the farm? And on patrol? And in strikes? It was ridiculous that the reality of the game undercut the fiction immediately and jarringly. It would have made way more sense to have it so when you reactivated the shard, everyone got their light back. Fixed. A tiny gripe in the great scheme of things, but significant in terms of the way I related to the game.

Destiny 2 was a great disappointment really, I think I put 50 hours into it, poor show. Having said that, this Destructoid article is really just a whining clickbait forum post dressed up as news. Lost Sector drops being capped was there from the day 1. You don't need to go to a forum to figure it out or be a genius, you just notice you stop getting drops and realise "oh, I guess they cap these". Yeah, sub optimal but not something I'd shout about personally. I can just imagine the staff at Bungie seeing this reaction and face palming. I'm not without empathy.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I don't speak for what other people think, I'm just speaking the nature of popular opinion generally being different than a vocal minority that has different characteristics.

That whole "everyone I know has stopped playing the game" sentiment holds true for me. All of my friends have stopped playing the game. I would say upwards of 75% of my friends have no interest (at least this is what they've said after promptly quitting the game and returning to other loot-based games) in returning until maybe the TTK-esque expansion. However, that doesn't lead me to believe that everybody has stopped playing. Not everybody shares the same tastes preferences as myself and my friends, as what I have is just an anecdote.

I think you assuming what everyone else thinks (you've done this in multiple threads, where you just project your opinion of the "hardcore" to almost the entire population of people being critical) is just as nonsensical as the people on an enthusiast gaming forum thinking they speak for everyone that plays a game that has probably sold near or over 10 million copies. It's entirely possible for people to be VERY critical of Bungie and also have enough self-awareness to realize that they may not share the same opinions as everyone else playing the game. I'm willing to bet most people around here are at least that self-aware.

How am I assuming? Have you read this thread? Many people here are saying it is the worst game this gen. That Bungie is one of the worst devs ever. How can you say these things but "understand" how someone else loves the game and plays it all the time.
And sorry, but most critics are the hardcore FPS elite...they claim to have played D1 for thousands of hours and they completed all vanilla D2 content in just a few days...even have completed the raids multiple times and are bored with them...I have literally assumed nothing...I am repeating what others here have said!

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Content isn't really the problem. The problem is the value cycle.

If I made a game where the goal was to earn money and I gave you 5 activities to chose from.
Play a mission - 10 minutes
Play a dungeon - 15 minutes
Play in the sandbox - 5 minutes
Play PvP - 10 minutes

And everyone of those activites gave you $100 in game bucks, what have I just done? I've made 75% of my game obsolete. This is going all the way back to the launch of Destiny 1. The loot cave was a product of the game starving the players of rewards. At no point in Destiny has the playerbase ever really felt like they were swimming in rewards (I take that back, year 3 iron banner where you were getting purples at the end of almost every game was great).

Bungie's philsophy seems to be keep everything out of the players reach, because the only reason they'll come back is because they're all completionists. I argued against this point back in they day, because players who want everything is not the right demographic to balance your entire system around.

I know Bungie has all these grand plans for everything over the course of this year, but something they could do now, as in a patch could be ready to go next week, would be to adjust loot values so that everything drops way more, and your rewards are based on time invested. The former should literally just be adjusting some variables, the later might take more than a week depending on how their system works.
This is where I think Bungie have a real problem to deal with.

I feel the complete opposite of you and I don't know what the middle ground looks like.

As someone who does not care about the light level grind - there are more than enough rewards pouring out of everything I do. Public events, adventures, PvP, Strikes - you name it, it's raining glimmer, loot and experience.

The problem is, none of it matters or feels unique. I have nearly every exotic and legendary item and they're all the same. And more importantly, the things that are good - Mida, Nameless Midnight, Better Devil etc. Are also so easy to get that they don't feel special.

The only stuff that is somewhat interesting/scarce - are cosmetic and usually tucked behind Eververse. Again, pretty meaningless.

I want to have to earn the best guns. Make them tough to get and even tougher to upgrade. Give me some ownership of my guns too. You want an ornament - go and kill 500 people in Crucible with it. Want to upgrade reload - run 10 strikes using it.

Having everything behind RNG is boring and it has only become worse in D2.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
One of the most disappointing aspects and kind of sums up the direction they've taken with Destiny 2 are the lack of Black Spindle / Outbreak Prime type quests.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bet a lot of people are telling themselves this but when the D3 trailer comes out with a popular rock song in the background and cool explosions they will pre-order.
Still waiting for the Destiny 2: Year 2 pivot. I hope that this time will be different and people won't buy into it, but I know better.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
How am I assuming? Have you read this thread? Many people here are saying it is the worst game this gen. That Bungie is one of the worst devs ever. How can you say these things but "understand" how someone else loves the game and plays it all the time.

Um, because different people have different opinions? Why is it weird to essentially say that some people can voice their dislike for a product while still realizing that other people like it? That's how opinions work. It's not rocket science.

And sorry, but most critics are the hardcore FPS elite...they claim to have played D1 for thousands of hours and they completed all vanilla D2 content in just a few days...even have completed the raids multiple times and are bored with them...I have literally assumed nothing...I am repeating what others here have said!

You are assuming that "most" critics are the "hardcore FPS elite." I can guarantee you that I don't fit the criteria you are talking about and I am, at times, very critical of Bungie.

It's also entirely possible to clear almost all of the game content in a few days.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of the most disappointing aspects and kind of sums up the direction they've taken with Destiny 2 are the lack of Black Spindle / Outbreak Prime type quests.

Yeah I really thought this would have been a no brainer. Ever since Sleeper Simulant the community went insane working the quests out and getting the super rewarding loot. I really thought a week or two after launch we'd see a steady drip feed of these timed quests , with the complexity amped up. So your community happens to be excellent at code breaking and puzzle solving and they absolutely love it? OK let's not do that this time.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Destiny fans not trying to derail or anything just a suggestion..go play some The Division i think you will like it how the current state of this game is, i even tweeted about it and got some responses from destiny fans they are playing it and liking it because it just works. The game is has come along way and it is something that bungie could learn a thing or two same what blizzard did with diablo 3.
The Division since the last update and Monster Hunter next week are the games I would recommend people who are fed up with Bungies bullshit.

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, for a moment there I thought you were talking about my relationship.

You know, where I communicate to my SO and he fails to listen.

Back to the topic... I hope Bungie begins to listen to fans and not screw them over.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, we bought it on the premise of online coop campaign (we just did Halo 3 and Reach) and the netcode was garbage. Only the host was fine, the other was underwater. Disgusted, we were done with it.
Speak for yourself, Halo Anniversary was awesome! The game wasn't even originally built with online co-op in mind. But please, tell us more how Halo 1 Anniversary's not so perfect netcode is comparable to the anti-consumer BS Bungie keeps pulling!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This update was what finally pushed me away from the game and open up my backlog.

Bungie cured me of my Destiny addiction.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Speak for yourself, Halo Anniversary was awesome! The game wasn't even originally built with online co-op in mind. But please, tell us more how Halo 1 Anniversary's not so perfect netcode is comparable to the anti-consumer BS Bungie keeps pulling!

What are you talking about ? I specified in my post I will never buy anything from Bungie again.

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Anniversary was the remake on 360 right? It was hot garbage online for co-op. The host was fine the other player couldn't even move at times. But that wasn't bungie either.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll still continue to be perplexed as to why Destiny didn't just take the MMO route and keep the base game as is but expand on it with expansions. Revamping for current gen and PC could have been achieved far sooner that way and been a much more successful business model for them due to the ability to adapt on fly to current content and tune future content on how players are playing.

Enabling an MMO aspect would allow a lore library to build, and for the game to grow substantially. Understandable in that some don't like long level grinds but I'm sure situations like that can be levelled out like say WoW does with decreasing XP as time goes or Guild Wars 2 with zones being whatever level you are. This need to create a sequel is so toxic to the development of the game and the story that your team builds, this world that they create which is ripped down to allow a sequel the chance to shine.

Now especially this path of sequels means the prior game is useless, it's story flow ignored and future negativity can destroy or disrupt the game cycle making it even more difficult to create a franchise unlike an MMO.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I think one problem a lot of people are omitting in their criticism is the piss poor engine Bungie built for Destiny. It was causing problems for them back in Destiny 1, with trivial parts of game development taking days to do. Now we have the story of Bungie being frustrated on how hard it is to make content.

If they don't change the engine for Destiny 3, it'll just be a repeat of now.
I don't think they will. They claimed it was a rebuilt engine for Destiny 2... fool me twice...

Eorl they did, then they removed it to "add to the game story instead" and then added it to exotic and certain legendary items, nearly all of which are tied to... Eververse. Unless you look online you are literally paying for lore.

Last edited: