Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
User Banned (3 Days): System Warring; History of Similar Infractions
Sony didn't win this gen so much as it was handed to them by Microsoft and Nintendo(Wii U). They got very lucky, but that luck always had a shelf life and it's beginning to run out.

Looking at how Smash completely crushed GOW and Spiderman sales on a much smaller install base proves that insulated $60, single player console exclusives aren't exactly a winning stragedy all by themselves going forward.

Sony needs to find a way to innovate in the same way Microsoft has with services and Nintendo has with hardware because great games are a dime a dozen, literally so on Xbox now. I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo are seeing the bigger picture.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I agree that the few responses Sony gave about crossplay were really silly and it was kinda innevitable for them to do a 180, what I don't understand is that people only play the 'arrogant / clouded perspective' card at Sony.

When the latest Call of Duty or Battlefield or Fallout or Red Dead were announced without crossplay support, nobody seemed to care. If all developers (not just the few that do so now) start implementing crossplay systems and Sony won't allow it, than there's a case for Sony being 'arrogant'. Untill now it seems to be mostly Microsoft forcing Sony' hand (which is good for gamers, I agree) and a few gamers, outlets and developers blaming Sony for not 'jumping in' immediately.

And the fact that Sony already has a ton more crossplay games with the PC. People forget that the PS4 already has crossplay since launch with a lot of games with the pc. It's funny that nobody cared about Fallout, BF, CoD or even Fifa. I mean i care more about crossplay with these games then that stupid Fornite shit.

I can't take console crossplay serieus before the other big multiplatform franchises have support for it. It was just Microsoft who wanted their shine with it, as if they where the big crossplay supporters. I the meantime, you're competitor still had the most with PC.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Sony didn't win this gen so much as it was handed to them by Microsoft and Nintendo(Wii U). They got very lucky, but that luck always had a shelf life and it's beginning to run out.

Looking at how Smash completely crushed GOW and Spiderman sales on a much smaller install base proves that insulated $60, single player console exclusives aren't exactly a winning stragedy all by themselves going forward.

Sony needs to find a way to innovate in the same way Microsoft has with services and Nintendo has with hardware because great games are a dime a dozen, literally so on Xbox now. I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo are seeing the bigger picture.

Haha this is the best shit post in here. Great games are a dime a dozen lol.

Nov 30, 2017

Sony won the gen by making the PS4 a games first console. They actually won towards the 2nd half of the PS3 cycle and keeping the vision.

It was a simple console with gaming related features. Things like playgo( play while it installs), remote play. Now we have share play and let someone watch you play which isnt talked about enough.

A gaming console is just that. If you have the content and features your going to sell consoles.

They just kept releasing games as they have for a while. Now they have even more IP to build off of.

Great games are not a dime a dozen. They take years to make and most projects fail.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The article is pushing way too much the idea that people didn't like XBox One because it could act as a cable box. Nobody cared about that, nobody was angry about that. There were two things people weren't happy with: Microsoft going all digital and implementing the necessary DRM to make it happen (and doing a horrible job communicating what it was all about), and the $500 price point. It is those two points, and only those two points, that let Sony take this generation.

Also, the article author is very misinformed if he thinks people only do gaming on their PS4's. I don't know anyone with a PS4 who doesn't use it for watching movies once in a while.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

Joke post?

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
The article is pushing way too much the idea that people didn't like XBox One because it could act as a cable box. Nobody cared about that, nobody was angry about that. There were two things people weren't happy with: Microsoft going all digital and implementing the necessary DRM to make it happen (and doing a horrible job communicating what it was all about), and the $500 price point. It is those two points, and only those two points, that let Sony take this generation.

Yes, I agree.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Can't really compare nintendo sales to sony/ms sells when it comes to games. People seem to buy nintendo consoles for the first party alone, which results in a very high first party attach rate. On the flip side, people buy Sony/MS for third party games, which results in a more varied attach rate.

I mean, ask a dozen switch owners what they own game wise, and it's probabaly a very simular list each time. Ask a dozen ps4 or xb owners and you'll be all over the map.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This piece is really reaching. I don't agree.

I do agree that their stance on cross play messaging from what looks like suits running Sony now has put me off the brand, but I still love their games.

I hope they get some new blood in, the loss of Andrew house and Adam Boyes has changed my view of Sony gaming division somewhat.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
And the fact that Sony already has a ton more crossplay games with the PC. People forget that the PS4 already has crossplay since launch with a lot of games with the pc. It's funny that nobody cared about Fallout, BF, CoD or even Fifa. I mean i care more about crossplay with these games then that stupid Fornite shit.

I can't take console crossplay serieus before the other big multiplatform franchises have support for it. It was just Microsoft who wanted their shine with it, as if they where the big crossplay supporters. I the meantime, you're competitor still had the most with PC.
"that stupid Fortnite shit" is like the most played game on the planet on any platform, it's entering Minecraft popularity at this point.

Personally I don't care much about crossplay though, the big thing with Microsoft for me is that they let you play all their first party games on both Xbox and PC, with one purchase, they even let you jump from Xbox to PC with your progress intact and play online for free. That and Gamepass are things that get me to take a more positive stance at this point. It's a mountain to climb for the other two.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
The whole cross-play thing wasn't/isn't nearly as bad as all the stuff Microsoft originally tried to do with the Xbox One.
Also, as far as I've seen nobody has an issue with other entertainment media coming to the platform. The problem however with Microsoft's original XB1 vision was that it seemed to be the focus. Nobody is gonna have an issue with TV, Sports and other media functionality besides gaming as long as gaming is still the focus.

/thread

That article is so bad.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
He is serious business in Sony threads.
The worldwide appeal of PlayStation isn't based on luck and neither is the PS4 dominance. You're purposefully ignoring the things Sony did right on their own.

Oh, so first God of War beating the PlayStation all time record for fastest selling PS exclusive and then Spider-Man one upping that record within the same year is an unsustainable business strategy? Lmao

Yeah, to you everything MS does is an innovation and none of what Sony does is.

xCloud? Innovation.
PS Now running game streaming since 2014? Ignored.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
None of that matters as long as Sony has the games. Which they do. They aren't going to be in danger until they don't.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, not only did Sony luck out but they've lucked out 3/4 and you could say the PS3 gen was also lucky. Lucky for them to outsell Microsoft. Sony's luck is insane. Why do their competitors always stumble? And not just stumble but fall on their face. This allowed Sony to luck to 100m consoles sold for 3 systems. They lucked to straight dominance 3/4 times. They must have fucked an Unicorn.

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
There were two things people weren't happy with: Microsoft going all digital and implementing the necessary DRM to make it happen (and doing a horrible job communicating what it was all about), and the $500 price point. It is those two points, and only those two points, that let Sony take this generation.
The $500 price point alone wasn't that much of an issue, people seem fine with X1X price, it was more paying an extra $100 because of a forced Kinect when the actual hardware was weaker than the $100 cheaper competition.

Oct 27, 2017

Bahahaha.

Do you seriously think Sony are unhappy with how GoW and Spiderman have performed? I mean you can't possibly think that.

Edit - I looked at the NPD, Smash finished one place above Spiderman.

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty telling how it's taken Microsoft nearly 20 years and almost three full console generations to just sell the same amount of consoles as the PS2.

Think about that for a moment. PlayStation has nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what they've always done.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Is this a new copypasta for Sony threads?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Damn, not only did Sony luck out but they've lucked out 3/4 and you could say the PS3 gen was also lucky. Lucky for them to outsell Microsoft. Sony's luck is insane. Why do their competitors always stumble? And not just stumble but fall on their face. This allowed Sony to luck to 100m consoles sold for 3 systems. They lucked to straight dominance 3/4 times. They must have fucked an Unicorn.

They certainly have these in the office

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Quite a reductive way of looking at it. Sony made quite a few big mistakes with the PS3 but corrected them all while designing and launching the PS4. Sure having MS balls up the XB1 launch surely helped, but to put the success of the PS4 down to luck is quite silly IMHO.

Well Sony will no doubt continue to work on PSVR, alongside their PSNow service, and there's now reports that Sony are looking at increasing services and products offered across their PSN.

Apart from that I think if they continue to deliver what the majority of the market wants (a powerful yet affordable box coupled with some fantastic exclusives) then I think they'll again do more than OK.

Ahh shit... was it?

I can't even tell anymore. :-/

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lol, full of shit as usual.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not remotely the same. They still focus on games and cross play is nice but that's it.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
>"Winning" (as in, selling the most) 3 out of the 4 home console gems you've participated in.

>Being lucky.

Man, Sony must have a giant warehouse filled with all sorts of lucky charms. Nintendo too!!

Double

Nov 1, 2017
I agree that these are first signs of the complacency and arrogance that can lead to losing your "winning" position.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
this is such a weird take for me.
the reason MS lost is because they didnt even focus on games and instead pushed the always online BS.
sony on the other hand has always been about the games and now even more than ever with their games ending up as some of the best sellers of the year.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's refusal around cross-play is more comparable to... let me think... Microsoft's refusal to support cross play with 360. Why compare with the horrific XB1 launch when there is a more direct comparison available? Market leader doesn't want to support something that may encourage people to not buy their platform - it's simple business right up until the point where the PR message was more damaging not to do it.

And PSN has always been a media platform. What the hell do they even mean by that? You can buy movies on it - so what?

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's dangerously similar to how MS end 360, coasting on core games, focus on VR and other none gaming stuff,
ignore indies, zero communication with gamers, what is even happening in SIE?

What core games? Ms made the same ips over and over again. Comparing VR with kinect is like comparing a ps4 pro with a c64. I'll give you the last point but ms is
It's dangerously similar to how MS end 360, coasting on core games, focus on VR and other none gaming stuff,
ignore indies, zero communication with gamers, what is even happening in SIE?

Sony is doing more than the same ips over and over. Comparing VR with kinect or like you said other none gaming stuff is like comparing the upcoming ps5 with the c64. The last point is kinda true but iam thinking that Philly is over-communicate stuff. It's nothing like the 360 or xbone.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
As long as people like shu and shawn is at the helm we will not likely see the resurgence of the arrogant sony.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Brand loyalty is strong, this forum is telling in that. Most people chose sides already and don't care enough to switch (which is also a money investment) even when they are getting screwed by a lack of backwards compatibility or crossplay. Come next-gen the past mistakes could br costlier as everyone starts anew, but brand loyalty at worst will keep them afloat, plus they keep having great exclusives, the obligatory Japanese support of devs who ignore Western systems, plus the marketing deals on FIFA, COD, etc.. Arrogant? Maybe. They'll be fine though. If the next iPhone was a piece of shit it would still sell gazillions because it's an iPhone. PS5 will be fine, but it's likely MS will offer a better experience for users overall, at least in terms of services and hardware.

Why is it likely though? We don't know anything about the new machines from either side. Sony messed up ps3 launch, MS messed up XB1 launch. Nobody has this shit sorted out perfectly yet. And marketing teases from MS around power are just that until we see what they bring - no real difference to the kinds of spoiler messages Sony had when Dreamcast was announced.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
... and came out later than competition due to blu-ray drive which main function was to guarantee blu-ray win the format war. A format war that had zero benefit for gamers.
Yeah, its likely that PS3 had Bluray as a way to push the format, but its not really true that this had zero benefits for gamers. Every PS3 retail game uses Bluray, which supports up to 50GB. Many games in the previous generation surpassed this size, not to speak of the current generation where games upwards to 50GB is common. DVD would not cut it going forward, so a new physical format was definitelly needed.

HD DVD in comparison only supported 15GB for single layer (Bluray has 25GB) and 30GB for dual layer (Bluray has 50GB). Thats 40% less space, so Bluray was the best choice for games. HD DVD would likely be able to expand on this like Bluray has (Bluray XL supports 100GB), but it would likely still be quite less than what Bluray supports.

Last edited: