• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I bought Mario Odyssey despite not owning a switch because it was 20% off on Amazon.

Is it worth it waiting for black friday to buy the console or should I just get one now? What potential sales can I expect?

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I don't see any way that the Switch will be discounted or be included in any bundles for BF, although I would be happy to be proved wrong. Unless you have a burning desire to play Mario Odyssey right away, there is no downside to waiting, other than it possibly selling out during the BF rush.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will properly be sold out and if there was any deals don't expect any good deals on the console itself besides the Games

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Buy it now. Doubt we'll see a huge discount on Black Friday and if we do--do you really want to deal with all the chaos? Saving $20 isn't worth the hassle.

shanafan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ypsilanti, MI
I don't see much of anything happening to the Switch's price for Black Friday. There may be deals like a doorbuster gift card with purchase, but then you would be fighting with crowds just to get a gift card asking yourself - "Is this really worth it?"

Feichaw

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there will be any sales. If you can find one, you should buy it. There's a lot of great games for it right now, and you already have Mario Odyssey. There's no reason to wait IMO.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
If you search really hard, you might find a slight discount on black friday somewhere. Like, a share of the retailer's cut because everything in the store is on sale or something. But it's doubtful and probably not worth the time and effort it would take. Just buy it now.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you will see any deals outside of some software. It's more than likely that the console is going to be hard to find again in the coming weeks, and through the holiday season, so if you can get one now I think you should go for it.

draufen

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. A small discount is always possible but nothing worth the wait. Buy now and have fun with a really great console and Mario.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt there will be any sales with how fast they've been selling out (which should only speed up with Mario and the holiday shopping rush that's coming). At most maybe some retailer that has too many copies of some lackluster game may throw it in for free.

If you're in the US you should get Best Buy's Gamer's Club Unlocked as its 20% off all new games (not just preorders) and only $30 for two years. Then you don't end up buying stuff just to use the Prime discount, can get 20% off games after their on sale for $40 or less in a month or two (excluding Nintendo stuff that rarely drops or goes on sale) etc.

Clawbvious

Oct 27, 2017
New York
You've got whole docket of cool games and stuff to play if you buy it now. I wouldn't expect a discount on the console itself....

Also, Mario Odyssey is joyful and you should just play it ASAP.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently debating this as well.

I haven't been tempted by a Nintendo console in a long time so I'm not sure what the usual situation is with their hardware on Black Friday. Part of me wants to just go grab one (and Mario Odyssey) today after work, but I'll feel a little silly if it's a lot cheaper in a few weeks.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
If you wait until Black Friday you're in competition with every other person who decides to wait for Black Friday.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
the posters above me are correct. Is saving $25 to $50 dollars worth the stress of not having one over Thanksgiving? or having to track one down?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Buy it now you won't be able to find one later. I would try to get games, a Pro-Controller or extra Joy-con on Black Friday if you can though.

OneAndOnly

Oct 23, 2017
I'd say the Switch is worth getting right now. Seem to be in ample supply right now with a ton of games to boot. I think the Switch is too new to be seeing discounts/bundles right now and it'll probably be hard to find again by the time the holidays hit so your best bet is getting one now.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
return mario and buy it during b2g1 @ best buy
Target is doing that starting on Sunday, and much like Target, I'm betting Best Buy excludes Switch games from the promotion.

Stores are swimming in Switch consoles right now. Get it while you can because there's no reason to think it isn't going to be the hottest gaming console this holiday.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
They won't get any cheaper on black friday.

At the most you'll get a free game, like bomberman or sommit.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There is no reason to wait - Nintendo will be able to sell most of the system they ship in the next 2 months in the states.
Retailers will probably have games and accessorizes on sales, but dont expect to save much if anything on the actual console.

As the other have said...get it out of the way now and enjoy the Odyssey.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was going to wait until Black Friday, but the posts here make good points.

My bday is in a couple days so maybe I should bite the bullet...

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Buy it now. Lots of good games and the system will be in heavy demand during that period of time.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
return mario and buy it during b2g1 @ best buy

This is a good idea... It doesn't seem like the system itself will be on sale so you may as well try and find discounts on the games instead, and a B2G1 sale would be helpful in that regard, along with whatever other sales Black Friday brings.

OP
OP
woman

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Thank you for all the replies. I think I'm going to get one either tonight or this weekend. I can't imagine any meaningful discount happening for such a recently released console

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I'd try to buy it now if you can. I imagine trying to get a Switch during Black Friday would be a nightmare.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Buy now, it's in stock but that might change with mario on the shelves and it could get really competitive come black friday. There are also so many good games already that there's no time to waste IMO. I've had it since launch and already have a system backlog.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd say buy now as well as what everyone else is saying. I was originally going to buy that Mario Odyssey Switch bundle but once the Neon was back in stock it was a go to for sure. No need to wait to play it and I've managed to play two fantastic games on it, and tbh the system I feel like has definitely got me back into gaming than before.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way Switch gets a discount this year and probably even next year. Just buy it now.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Do you have games you want to play? Buy it now. I think it will get more difficult to get one till january. Probably depens in your area (I got one in Orlando in my first try).

I dont think it will.be heavily discounted.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been debating getting it now as well, but the console + accessories to protect it + Odyssey would take a significant chunk out of my checking account since I'm a typical poor college student. I had the Odyssey bundle pre-ordered but caved shortly before release because I was worried that I might end up spending more than $400 for the thing plus Odyssey. I'm still unsure though, and there is a slight possibility I could get it as a Christmas gift if I wait so I don't know what I should choose really.

Edit:

Oh yeah, and I decided to snag Odyssey to get 20% off too, since I doubt that game will be discounted any time soon. Wouldn't be the first time I bought a Nintendo game before the console (Bayonetta 2 and Wii U). Would still want the Odyssey bundle if I were to get the console since I want the red joy-cons and joy-cons on their own are $80 ($100+ when imported, as the Red ones might need to be if bought separately). I'd just sell the code for $55 in the B/S/T thread if I were to get it.

Like many have said, you may as well buy now as there will be probably be no BF bundles for the system. The current available game bundles are the Splatoon 2 with neon pink/green joycons at Walmart and the Mario Odyssey bundle.

Just get the system you want, get a microSD card and go play Mario.

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple. Buy it now if you want to play Mario and Zelda this year. Retailers have the Switch back in stock for now. It's a sweet spot between the iPhone launch and Black Friday, the time when Nintendo can manufacture more, but before the holiday shopping rush. As others have said, there probably won't be Switch Black Friday sales.

Nothing wrong with waiting if you can, the games aren't going anywhere. But you'll probably be waiting until 2018 if you don't buy now.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo usually does not discount all too much on Black Friday. Even Breath of the Wild will probably be at full price. There might be bundles at like $20 off, but I would not expect drastic drops.