Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Yep, GOG users should also be prepared for the possibility that the company could go out of business and they will lose access to downloading the games, without any legal recourse. The big difference of course is that you have the option of making your own local backups of the games to protect yourself if that happens.

You can do that on Steam too.
I could backup all my 3000 games on Steam now if I had the space (and then in 20 years play most of them or look for a crack if it had DRM).

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I just got GOG last week, and was searching around for information on the company. I hope you don't mind that I'm bumping up this thread. A few things struck me when reading this.

Indeed. If the industry is in a position where no company would want to take over Steam, then, well, that means there are much bigger problems at hand than DRM'd games. Like, maybe the collapse of modern civilization. There's no point basing your decisions on far-off doomsday scenarios.

This reminded me of something I read recently where the person said people suspect that civilization end before capitalism does, despite civilization been thousands of years old and capitalism having only been around a few hundred at most. You are literally positing a reality where the end of civilization is more likely to happen than a company to stop making revenue sufficient to cover its debts. That happens all the time, and sometimes to massive companies that are well run.

Why a company would want to buy an unprofitable company is beyond me.

As someone who just got a GOG account last week, I had some observations:

• I liked it when GOG sales would give you games for, if I recall correctly, spending $10, $20, and $30, but now they have changed to selling 'mystery bundles' in their sales instead, which is a deplorable business practice.

I got a free game because I spent over $5, and if I just spent a bunch more I would have gotten the $25 game. And it was clear which games I would get. I was tempted to spend the additional money to try out Rime, but I wasn't really that interested.

Installing GoG games is a pain

I used GOG Galaxy just to try it out. It was super simple, just like Steam, but looked nicer. It was strange that it doesn't list games on the left until you install them.

- Progression systems (achievements, trading cards, badges, XP).
- Community features (streams, forums, guides, workshop, marketplace, reviews, screenshots, trading, gifts).
- Various other useful features (cloud saves, easy install migration, playtime tracking, player statistics, global achievement tracking, Big Picture mode, screenshots).

I can assure you that GOG does have achievements, streams, forums, cloud saves, playtime tracking and that stuff. Though not trading cards, workshop. Don't know about install migration.

One question, however: what is the point of these trading cards on steam? I don't understand how I got them, what they do, and why it matters.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty simple:
GOG's curacy sucks, I like to have my games in one place and Steam client is an plus for all the neat features: Communities, Guides, Workshop, Friend list, Big Picture Mode, Steam Cloud Saves, Steam VR, In-Home Streaming and most of all: Steam controller API.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me of something I read recently where the person said people suspect that civilization end before capitalism does, despite civilization been thousands of years old and capitalism having only been around a few hundred at most. You are literally positing a reality where the end of civilization is more likely to happen than a company to stop making revenue sufficient to cover its debts. That happens all the time, and sometimes to massive companies that are well run.

The less dramatic-sound version was that a world in which Steam has so little value that no one would want to take up it's assets and infrastructure is probably a such a different world, at least in regards to the production and consumption of media, that I don't see much point speculating about it. And companies take over the assets of unprofitable businesses all the time because they think those assets could be productive in a different business model.

The point being, I don't see any reason to worry about the loss of my digital games library. I'm far more likely to lose a physical game than Steam is to vanish from the earth. This is distinct from the issue of games preservation in general, which I do wish publishers would think about more.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You can sell them.

Or buy the rest and craft them so you get emoticon and backgrounds for your steam profile.
I first noticed someone's profile looked unusually interesting with a background a few minutes ago (a game guide creator, the only reason I checked the profile). So that's what people do with the cards. Seems like a thing that you should be able to do on your own. Guess I'll see about selling my cards to get rid of them.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Part of it for me is the fact that I've had a Steam account for 10+ years.

The big part for me though, is the fact that GOG's sales don't interest me nearly as much as Steam's do. I was excited to check out what GOG had on offering when their summer sale was announced, but nothing really piqued my interest. GOG's pool of games is just a bit too shallow for my taste I guess.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I first noticed someone's profile looked unusually interesting with a background a few minutes ago (a game guide creator, the only reason I checked the profile). So that's what people do with the cards. Seems like a thing that you should be able to do on your own. Guess I'll see about selling my cards to get rid of them.

If you want a certain background, you can also just sell the cards and buy the background on the market.

https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/516600-Elysium?filter=bai qu

Price depends on the market. Some backgrounds can be as expensive as 6-10$, some are a few cents.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Latest example - Silver on GoG is broken on latest Windows 10 update, Steam version is updated and worked fine (judging by discussions)

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Because I like Steam better, not really rocket science. I prefer having all my shit there.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I like the features Steam has, adding non-Steam games to my library isn't quite the same as owning the game on Steam.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I got a free game because I spent over $5, and if I just spent a bunch more I would have gotten the $25 game. And it was clear which games I would get. I was tempted to spend the additional money to try out Rime, but I wasn't really that interested.
Yes, it seems like they were trying something out in the last sale or two, and it didn't work out so they're back to the regular deals.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Why would I buy it on GOG when it's available on Steam?? I don't care about DRM-free.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
For me the main reason was that GoG is more painful to refund on.
Steam's automated refund system is very convenient. When I needed to refund on GoG it was a ton of emails before I got it refunded.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally boycotting everything GOG until Cyberpunk implements a third person camera, they can't get away with this injustice./s

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Just easier to have everything in one spot. I don't have an issue buying multiple copies of the same game. I have the Sierra games on both gog and Steam.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can assure you that GOG does have achievements, streams, forums, cloud saves, playtime tracking and that stuff. Though not trading cards, workshop. Don't know about install migration.

It does, but only when using the Galaxy client, and when you have a mandatory client involved you're negating the actual USP that GOG has, namely DRM free titles.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I get games from GOG whenever I can. Only games I get on Steam are the games that aren't on GOG. Don't really care about them being separate as I can just link(create a shortcut to .exe) the games to Steam and play them on Steam anyways.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of my games are on Steam and I...enjoy selling the trading cards. I have almost one hundred games on GoG, but I barely use the service unless there's a giveaway or fresh Connect games.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Prefer gog cause it doesn't shove updates down my throat. Be it client or have updates I'd much prefer not to bother with them and gog gives me that option. Even consoles don't anymore.

Hell, I played God of war 3 for the first time last year and had to cancel the update WHILE I WAS PLAYING at least 5 times until it popped up at just the exact moment I was pressing O, so I kinda got forced into installing the thing.

And one extra middle finger steam gives me? The thing that pops up with desks is called UPDATE news. Pointless but still feels like me and my desire to play games instead of eating time downloading updates are being told to screw.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
People mentioned Humble. But is that actually a comparable service? Can I redownload games? Are they all listed on a site? Do they have any social features?

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I rebought Pillars of Eternity on Steam after initially buying it on GOG on release.

Did not like the patching system, the patch numbers were completely fucking different than the version numbers and there were different branches of those with Vanilla, White Marches, then White Marches pt 2. Had no intrerest in GOG Galaxy as that just ended up being another Steam and I couldn't work out how to tell it not to download patches unless I wanted to.

Steams my preferred platform. I'm always looking out for games getting released cheap there so I can keep my library all together.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I used to travel for several hours daily on a train with my laptop, and I ran into SO many problems with Steam's crappy DRM preventing my from playing games.

Because of this I always bought games on GOG when possible.

But then GOG did that terrible publicity stunt when they pretended to go out of business, and I haven't bought anything since.

S_Dev

Oct 26, 2017
GOG is great, but I'm kind of invested in Steam's ecosystem, Steam Streaming app installed on my phone and Android TV, multiple Steam controllers, and I take advantage of the cloud saves. I know you can get most of that working with non-steam games with a little bit of work, but I normally just get my games on Steam for the convenience.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's convenient, works, has great community features and I tend to always have money on steam made from selling stuff from other games on the community market.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Why not? Steam isn't going anywhere. If they do, they've said in the past they would attempt to unlock your games for you to keep. Ok, let's play Devil's Advocate. Steam fails and I lose all my games, SOMEHOW (not going to happen but whatever). Even if that does happen, this is PC. I'll be able to play the games I really want to.

So why should I buy on GOG? Because of self packaged installers? I dunno. I don't like buying on GOG or using GOG's client. I do like Steam and all of its functionalities. I respect GOG's service and mission goal. I hope GOG does well. I don't want to use their service. End of story.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can sell them.

Or buy the rest and craft them so you get emoticon and backgrounds for your steam profile.

It's not really worth the time to sell them. Takes waaaaay too much time nowadays for little money. Unless there's a new way now. I have at least 600 cards that i'd like to sell and probably more to get if I idle the games but lol not gonna do that shit. if there's an easier way again I'd love to know about it.

Main reason I don't buy on gog myself is I don't really use it. I'm too used to going to steam and most 3rd party sites offer steam keys. Also I guess drm free means I could make backups of the installers somewhere but I'm probably not gonna. If steam ever does go down i'll just have to find other sources for the games that I do still want to play. Before galaxy not having a client and auto-updates was the main thing keeping me from using GOG more.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Everyone that plays PC doesn't want DRM

But then it's not Steam and people cry and say Steam isn't DRM

Steam is not DRM. Steam offers DRM if developers want to implement DRM. Developers can release their games on Steam without any DRM. There are Steam releases that do not even check if Steam is running. You can disconnect from the internet, navigate to the install directory, run the EXE file, and the game will play.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Steam is great on linux. I shop on gog, but once I do whatever I have to do to get the game installed, I link it through steam since gog hasn't bothered to get galaxy out for linux. Plus there's everything valve is doing for linux. It's exciting to be a part of and I feel great supporting it. For me, steam is a no brainer.

edit: Oh i remember this thread now. I already answered before.

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Steam is not DRM. Steam offers DRM if developers want to implement DRM. Developers can release their games on Steam without any DRM. There are Steam releases that do not even check if Steam is running. You can disconnect from the internet, navigate to the install directory, run the EXE file, and the game will play.
Very few games work like this, because there is pressure from Steam fans for games to include Steamworks features like trading cards, leaderboards, etc. All of these require the DRM.

Steam is DRM, but a tiny number of games aren't fully implemented on the platform so lack steam features, the first of which is always DRM

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With few exceptions I only play games on Steam. I won't typically play EA or Blizzard games on PC for this reason.

I just want them all in one place. It's a big hassle managing multiple launchers. It's icky.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I dony mind buying in steam,gog,origin uplay or what ever, just give me the lowest price and im in.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, most of the games in my library.

From the 90s... come on, really?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I like the features Steam has. And having most games in one place is nice. While there's also an option to add non-Steam games to the launcher, it doesn't get all the Steam features.
People love to peddle this line, but I don't think this is true at all. Do you have an actual quote?
I'm not sure they have ever specified what the measures are, but I found few screenshots from Steam support saying that.

download.axd

Edit: Oh it's an old thread I've already responded to.

Last edited: