Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
i dont care where I can get a game. I go where the best deal is during my time of interest, and often that's Steam.

I use Steam, origin, UPlay, GOG Galaxy and even Twitch's App all because each platform usually has a better deal with certain games than the other at various times throughout the year. I got Pillars of eternity for free via Twitch prime... I am not going to complain that i can't play it on steam.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I like achievements, and I'm too far into the steam universe with 400+ games to start using another service.
Just not willing to switch.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, most of the games in my library.

From the 90s... come on, really?

Here's a list of DRM-free games you can launch without even having the Steam client running:
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

You can see that many are not 90s games.

People love to peddle this line, but I don't think this is true at all. Do you have an actual quote?

You're right in that this isn't listed in the FAQ and there's not a hard quote from Gabe Newell. The closest is a tech support reply stating that measures are in place to ensure access to the user's library in the unlikely event that such a thing happens. But, again, for the sake of argument Steam goes down. This is PC. There are many ways to regain access to the games.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Very few games work like this, because there is pressure from Steam fans for games to include Steamworks features like trading cards, leaderboards, etc. All of these require the DRM.

Steam is DRM, but a tiny number of games aren't fully implemented on the platform so lack steam features, the first of which is always DRM
This is false. Steamworks features don't require DRM, DRM is just one of the available features.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Very few games work like this, because there is pressure from Steam fans for games to include Steamworks features like trading cards, leaderboards, etc. All of these require the DRM.

Steam is DRM, but a tiny number of games aren't fully implemented on the platform so lack steam features, the first of which is always DRM

I'm always amazed how people like to post things they know nothing and pretend it's all fact.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I do a mix. I was giving preference to GoG, but stopped when I signed up for Humble monthly because the 10% off.

I still prefer to have the games on GoG. I do make backups of almost all of them. Biggest thing is GoG not having a third party way to buy. If I had to choose between the two, GoG would almost always win, unless it is something I wanted mainly for multiplayer. Part of me doesn't mind buying on Steam because of GoGs random "own on Steam, get it here as well" things.

Was hesitant to get GoG Galaxy, but dont mind it now. Sucks they got rid of the old downloader, preferred that to Galaxy.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Because Steam is where everything is. By far the biggest library, my friends are all there, etc. Plus if a game is on Steam and GOG, the Steam version is almost always the one that gets the most and/or earliest support.

GOG is definitely my second favorite Steam-like, though. It's good for playing older games with minimal compatibility hassles, and good for downloading some games for when the internet goes out (which for me is sadly fairly frequently).

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
There's a kind of vague contempt for steam around the periphery. I chalk it up to the popularity. There's no shortage of legitimate criticism but more often it's the more specious complaints being repeated.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my GOG account hacked and stolen by a Russian hacker due to how piss poor the account security was a the time, this has never happened to my Steam account; therefore, I feel more comfortable with my Steam account. To be fair, the GOG account hasn't been hacked ever since they added two factor authentication, but I still can't forget the arduous month long process of getting my account back and getting GOG's customer support to actually help me at all, and then they did nothing towards going after or pressing charges against the hacker despite the fact that he changed my profile pic to a fucking picture of himself smoking a cigar and drinking a fine looking spirit at a bar that looked to be far out of my price range.....I mean I almost grew to respect the fucking guy just because of the balls he was displaying with how brazenly open he was with my account, but GOG did absolutely nothing to try to pursue action against him after I got my account back, instead saying that they would "have no way of IDing him, and that Russia's laws with hackers is like the wild west." The latter part of that is true, (Russia's laws are fucked when it comes to hackers and digital distribution in general), but I managed to find the guy's Google plus account inside twenty minutes of Google searching, and I then investigated further and found his last name and his address in Russia, yet still GOG wouldn't help me pursue action against him at all. The whole situation left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, but I still love CD Project dearly, and I'm excited for their future, but GOG as a store front could use some policy and legal restructuring.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want games anywhere else on PC than Steam, I don't want to have multiple accounts to keep track of what I own or do not own. I don't buy games on GoG, Origin, uPlay or Battle.net because Steam can't index them, so I will not be playing anything from EA or Blizzard on PC for that reason alone.

The whole no DRM thing also becomes kind of a moot point when I would never have the storage capacity to back up the 1500+ games I have on Steam to begin with, so should GOG go down I wouldn't be in a better position than Steam in regards to holding on to my library.

Steam for all the issues it has, is still delivering a service way above what anyone else is delivering in regards to gaming, DRM has rarely proven to be an issue in the 15+ years I have used the service and I feel that my library is quite safe with Valve for the foreseeable future.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I think GoG is great, but its advantages are mostly moot as I'll never be so fastidious to back up 10TB of video games for all time in a way that is guaranteed to last.

Internet shattering disasters likely mean the end of everything but retro gaming for me.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The worst things about Steam are :
- Light amount of DRM that is extremely easy to bypass/crack.
- Curation of the store is terrible/non-existent.

Thats literally it, everything else about steam is superb. The amazing controller support, the sales, the client, patch support, communities, trading, family sharing, ease of use, etc etc etc. That is why the majority of PC gamers choose steam over other clients. It is still light-years ahead of any other platform. Until GoG can provide everything steam does minus the bad curation and DRM, it will always be inferior (at least to me).

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's at a point right now that if STEAM disappears, I think people will have more things to worry about in life as to whether or not they still have access to their digital content. That or they go public and capitalist like myself run the company into the ground with poor decisions.

Nov 1, 2017
It looks like gog connect is kinda dead. I don't know the reason for them having such short windows for the games to connect either. I missed out on probably a year and a half worth of connecting.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like gog connect is kinda dead. I don't know the reason for them having such short windows for the games to connect either. I missed out on probably a year and a half worth of connecting.
I wouldn't say it's dead, I used it for a couple games a few weeks ago. I would assume the short windows are because they still want people to actually buy games on their store. Connect seems to coincide with when GOG has a sale, so they probably just use it when they want to pull some traffic from steam over to gog's website to capitalize temporarily.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Because the last time I tried to download from GOG my fiber connection capped at 10kb/s. The solution I saw online was to download all of the game's packages from the website instead, no thanks.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
very simple: it's convenient. I have over 400 games on Steam, with thousands of hours played in total, and dozens of friends I chat with daily. I love checking my feed for screenshots as well, and I'm sure my friends also like checking my screenshots. I like the achievements, I like the refund system and I love the overlay.

Oct 30, 2017
Convenience of steam's install, auto-updates and cloud save paired with having a "single place" for ease of access purposes.
This. add to that i own a VIVE so steam is here to stay for me.

Plus I am not really worried about the DRM thing in steam. they are not going anywhere.Even if they die in the next 20 years or so. If those games I have I can no longer play them, i will download them off the net without the guilty feelings because I already did pay for them . and they will be DRM free too.

Steam just works.

Not to mention that 80% of the games are not even available on GOG. most companies want to use DRM to protect their games at least first few months sales before it gets cracked. That mean if i am anticipated a new release, most likely i wont get it anywhere but Steam . so whats the point of dividing my games into multiple clients / places ?

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Usually the price is lower on Steam for me or for example the last major sale on GOG was the week before Steam's sale, and I wanted to check out Steam's prices. By the time I got to buying what I wanted, the GOG sale was done. I'd much rather be buying from GOG, though.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017

This is 100% incorrect. Steam's DRM solution (CEG) is just an optional part of Steamworks, like all other features.
I.e. Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 are absolutely 100% DRM-free on Steam and still have achievements, trading cards and cloud saves.

I wish people would stop posting things as fact when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Recently did an effort to compare wishlists on Gog and Steam, removing all from Steam that is/will be on Gog. So the goal is to increase Gog library over time and only get the "exclusives" on Steam.

- Light amount of DRM that is extremely easy to bypass/crack.
It does not feel very clean to do though, so I don't. Better to encourage the better publisher-practices through Gog I feel.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
I know that feel, but think of it this way: A world where Steam dies will probably kill PC gaming and take GoG with it and also make PC gaming hardware extremely rare and expensive so you won't be able to maintain your hobby anyways and you'll probably have to just read physical books as you relax from a hard day roaming the Wastes for scraps of non-spoiled food.

This made me lol. The only way steam goes down is basically a zombie apocalypse.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Its somewhat naive to expect publishers to want to provide 'day one' releases of titles on PC with zero DRM.
The events with Amazon over the weekend show one of the unfortunate reasons why.
Well, I see your point of course, but then you have e.g. The Witcher-games and much more showing that it need not be so. If most customers did not accept said practices, publishers would have to change for the better.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
GOG is just a better and more sensible choice, in my opinion. I always try to buy games on GOG when they are available there.

Also the fact that GOG is owned by CD Projekt is a nice cherry on top for me, since in case of GOG some part of the platform cut will go towards developing great games such as Cyberpunk 2077, while Valve don't make games anymore (at least single player ones, which are the only ones I care about).

Its somewhat naive to expect publishers to want to provide 'day one' releases of titles on PC with zero DRM.

The events with Amazon over the weekend show one of the unfortunate reasons why.

I don't understand this reasoning. The fact that those games were sold on Amazon is already against the law. Those people can just sell straight-up cracked games, it'll be the same from the copyright infringement viewpoint. And cracks appear quite fast in most cases. So this isn't a valid argument against publishing games on GOG, at all.

Last edited:

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly money and publisher support, I try where I can to get GOG releases, but cannot ignore that many publishers (especially Japan games) use Steam and additional DRM such as Denuvo. As such, it's difficult to commit time and money to either, so GOG for me acts as a backup whose games I get on sales while Steam is for the rest (Sega PC is stepping up big time, like Yakuza and Shenmue, and being a big fan of the games can't really say nah I'll wait till it's on GOG, since that'd probably not happen pretty soon).

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I see your point of course, but then you have e.g. The Witcher-games and much more showing that it need not be so. If most customers did not accept said practices, publishers would have to change for the better.

Historically, what you would actually see is PC versions of titles just get delayed for an arbitrary amount of time after the console hardware DRM releases.
If a relatively innocuous DRM such as Steam provides is the price to pay for getting titles day and date, that is a good enough compromise solution for most people.

while Valve don't make gamesanymore.

Oh, this old chestnut.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I prefer GoG because DRM-free is a huge plus for me, so unless the Steam version is much cheaper I buy my games on GoG. Although it seems that many games that are sold on GoG are DRM-free on Steam as well lately. Humble Bundles also offer many DRM-free games.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a pain to have multiple places to look for games. I never keep stuff installed or make backups so its not like I'd be any better off when GOG goes down.

These. I rarely go back and replay things anywah so I don't really care about longevity. I'm just paying to play a game once the vast majority of the time.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
1. Steam is still the client I'm most comfortable with.
2. I might want to play with other Steam friends .
3. I might want to share the game with Steam Family Sharing.

But I am using GOG more and more. GOG and Humble Account are the only other services I actually want to use, and not just have to use for certain games.

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
Steam is where most of my games are so that is where I will mostly buy them. I'm also not a big fan of having multiple clients installed so I never bothered and never will use the GoG client. I just use their 'classic' installers as they call them now. GoG is great for older and classic games which was their focus when they first began and I will usually get classic games on GoG over steam as they have the chances of running better on newer OSes than the steam versions. So for me steam for newer games and GoG for older games.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  • "Everything" is on Steam
  • I don't care about DRM and the slight possibility I won't be able to start the game 10 years down the road
  • I trust Steam to exist for many years to come
  • Why bother with two apps? In fact, if a given game is cheaper on GoG than Steam, I'll still get it on Steam
  • Love Steam Link

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Easy

- steamlink
- everything in one place
- I have enough digital store accounts already

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

This isn't right. The Witcher 3 is DRM-free on Steam but supports trading cards and other Steam stuff anyway.

Last edited: