Fushichou187

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Source: BuzzFeed News

Police say the children shot and killed Kyle Yorlets, the lead singer in the rock band Carverton, after he refused to give them the keys to his car.

The children — three girls and two boys, ages 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 — have been charged as juveniles with homicide.

Police say that the five kids were driving in a stolen red Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck in the alley behind Yorlets's home in the College Heights/Clifton neighborhood.

Yorlets was outside his house when the children spoke with him, stole his wallet, and demanded that he give them the keys to his vehicle. When he refused, he was shot, said police.

Ok, so beyond the basics of how fucked up and tragic this story is for all parties involved, white supremacist MAGA twitter is having a field day with this story because it turns out the eldest three kids charged are African American and are having their mugshots-- of 14, 15, and 16 year olds-- appearing on a ton of news outlets; no information is being released currently on the 12 & 13 year old because apparently that's a bridge too far in terms of maintaining a minor's privacy, but a 14 year old? pfft. In addition to the actual crime that was committed, I guess I'm also incredibly appalled with the police department's decision to release mugshots of kids so damn young.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Who cares about privacy?
"I knew that killing was wrong when i was 13, they knew what they were doing, so try them as adults and put them in jail for life!"
That's the answer you'll get a lot sadly, even here, which is ridiculous to me.

But damn, what a sad story, dying for a damn key, shit is rough

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, am I missing something? Why do I feel like people are defending these kids who shot and killed a man and stole his car?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Wait, am I missing something? Why do I feel like people are defending these kids who shot and killed a man and stole his car?

Personally i'm just against the idea of trying kids as adults! Plenty of people find it normal, i just don't

Of course they did something incredibly wrong and deserves some kind of punishement and rehabilitation (especially the younger ones), but they're freaking kids, trying them as adults is just plain wrong to me

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I really supposed to give a shit that a bunch of murderous kids are having their identities revealed

They stole a life and they knew better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
So these kids were driving around in a stolen car, with two stolen guns, stole this guy's wallet, and then killed him after also attempting to steal his car...

It makes me wonder if the was any motive other than these kids wanting to see how far they could take things (all else I can realistically think of if gang-related activity). It seems like an absolutely senseless and pointless killing and I feel awful for the deceased, his friends and family.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Personally i'm just against the idea of trying kids as adults! Plenty of people find it normal, i just don't

Of course they did something incredibly wrong and deserves some kind of punishement and rehabilitation (especially the younger ones), but they're freaking kids, trying them as adults is just plain wrong to me
Nah fuck them. Lock em up for life and throw away the key. If they were under 5 years old I would agree with you

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I mean, I'm against the release of mugshots altogether, especially before being convicted, but I'm not sure why the fact that they're a minor crosses a line for some, especially if they're being tried as adults (deservedly so)

Oct 27, 2017
These kids got their hands on a gun, got it in their heads they were going to steal a car, and committed a murder in the process. Not one of these five kids stopped this awful plan in the process and a man lost his life because of it. They should be punished the same as an adult who committed a premeditated crime like this because the result was the same for the victim.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant find any remorse for any kid that murders without a good cause.

Its unfortunate obviously but...there's just nothing there from me. Whether they live or die or sit in jail I'm just pretty indifferent to it when something that heinous happens.

Of course I doubt he was murdered by 5 different people so it'd always be case by case for me.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

There fucking kids who took the life of someone else? How do you think that guy's family feels?! That there just kids so they should get away free for murdering their loved one?!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Nah fuck them. Lock em up for life and throw away the key.

So you would even put a 6-7 y/o in jail for life? Lmao! Truly society will be better by doing this

sorry but you are crazy

There fucking kids who took the life of someone else? How do you think that guy's family feels?! That there just kids so they should get away free for murdering their loved one?!

Getting in juvies and getting rehabilitation is not "getting away", and if it were my family i still wouldn't want to put freaking kids in jails as adults... sorry to disappoint

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It's really really fucking strange that you seem angrier at the release of their mugshots and the reaction from Trump supporters than you are at the fact that they murdered a man.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Mugshots should not have been released.

That aside, what happened is awful. RIP. I'm of the lock them up and throw away the key mindset, but probably just the 16 and 15 year old. I am just assuming, and if this isn't true, then nvm, that a 12 year old is probably being influenced by the 16 year old, either peer pressure or the desire to be accepted and participate.

Oct 27, 2017
holy fuck, what the hell.

Lock up the kids in juve and the fucking parents for criminal negligence.

Last edited:

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Murdering someone over car keys? Fucking disgusting. While the mugshots shouldn't have been released the kids sentencing isn't that odd.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given children grow sometimes vastly different for their age bracket, I don't think there can be a one size fits all model.

a 15 year old that is clearly capable of murder like this should not be put in the same bracket as an 11 year old shoplifting, for instance.

For serious crimes children should get a very harsh punishment still. It's not justice for the family of this man for these little shits to get off lightly when they're clearly scum, crappy unbringing or not.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
These kids got their hands on a gun, got it in their heads they were going to steal a car, and committed a murder in the process. Not one of these five kids stopped this awful plan in the process and a man lost his life because of it. They should be punished the same as an adult who committed a premeditated crime like this because the result was the same for the victim.
The youngest are going to follow the lead of the 15 and 16 year old.

I still don't get what lives these kids had that led to this terrible outcome.

For serious crimes children should get a very harsh punishment still. It's not justice for the family of this man for these little shits to get off lightly when they're clearly scum, crappy unbringing or not.

It's going to matter even if you don't like living in the real world.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They aren't adults, so they shouldn't be tried as adults. I don't understand what was going on in their minds though to have thought this was a good idea, obviously they've fucked themselves..

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
and I think you are crazy thinking these "kids" deserve any kind of second chance. Once you get to high school you know what is right and wrong

yes because every kids have the exact same educations, parents, and external influences thourghout their life.... they will all turn out perfectly balanced and if not they're just plain evil right?

This is ridiculous

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes because every kids have the exact same educations, parents, and external influences thourghout their life.... they will all turn out perfectly balanced and if not they're just plain evil right?

This is ridiculous

Of course mental health comes into the equation, but regarding upbringing, why suddenly when somebody turns 18 should they know "right or wrong" if their upbrining has taught them differently?

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mugshots should not have been released.

That aside, what happened is awful. RIP. I'm of the lock them up and throw away the key mindset, but probably just the 16 and 15 year old. I am just assuming, and if this isn't true, then nvm, that a 12 year old is probably being influenced by the 16 year old, either peer pressure or the desire to be accepted and participate.
Yep, I think you can make a good argument for lesser sentences on the 12 or 13 year old due to influence as children, assuming the 15/16 year olds were the ring leaders and pulled the trigger.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd throw the book at the one who actually shot the man, but I wouldn't want the others to serve life in prison. At that age, you can get dragged into ugly situations and feel pressured to tag along even when you knew what you were doing was not right. You can't tell me all of those kids thought the night was going to end in a homicide or even would have gone along for the ride if they knew one of the other kids was going to kill someone.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did a murder. Their reputations should be the last things they're worried about.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Of course mental health comes into the equation, but regarding upbringing, why suddenly when somebody turns 18 should they know "right or wrong" if their upbrining has taught them differently?

where did i said it necessarly stops at 18? That's a whole other debate! It's already pretty fucked up that people recommend to try kids as adults so i focused on that!

I'm always in favour of rehabilitation before plain punishment, but it's mostly a case by case basis to me for adults at least! As for kids, there's no discussion, they're not adults so they shouldn't be tried as adults! They can't vote, consent, drive, drink, sign contracts, and so on, but they're supposed to be fully responsible when it comes to crime somehow?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I do not believe kids should be tried as adults. It's the department of corrections, not the department of revenge and punishment. I'm 25 and am absolutely nothing like I was at 13.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
You are considerably more upset over the release of the mugshots than the fact they just killed a man. Your post is unbelievably tone deaf.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not garnering much sympathy for pre-mediated murder from a 15 or 16 year old. I'd still wouldn't release mugshots till a conviction or anything.

You are considerably more upset over the release of the mugshots than the fact they just killed a man. Your post is unbelievably tone deaf.

Aye, that's pretty ironic.

Last edited:

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just lock them up, and leave them to rot for the rest of their natural lives, no biggie. Or I don't know, take a page from Norway's book and rehabilitate, or even make an attempt to.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Nah fuck them. Lock em up for life and throw away the key. If they were under 5 years old I would agree with you
I do not believe kids should be tried as adults. It's the department of corrections, not the department of revenge and punishment. I'm 25 and am absolutely nothing like I was at 13.
This and this.
Sorry but I have no sympathy here. Quite simply, they're of an age to know better.

You quoted and agreed with two contradictory statements.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
So if a 16 year old murdered someone you were close to you would cool with them living a normal life because they said sorry? The laws need to be changed
What'd you mean living a normal life? It's on their record, and their chances of getting a job are severely crippled. Not to mention in America, former juveniles and prisoners end up going right back in cause everything's stacked against them outside.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mugshots of children? Mugshots of UNCONVICTED children? Like I know a lot of newspapers have their own internal guidelines forbidding the publication. There's ZERO public interest argument. Maybe the 16 year Old but they're charging them ALL as juveniles. How is this mugshot even possible? . The others? That's not good.

Nope. All the others...as horrifying as it is - they're legally children. And poor children may have to grow up fast but that is not realistic in terms of education and emotional support and maturity.

BTW they can all be disgusting scumbags and guilty of the crime and still be children. Being a child doesn't excuse them or diminish the evil and horror of what they did. In fact at an instinctive level it exacerbates that feeling. But we order society around these principles and they should apply to all children not just the ones we approve of or like or know.

their treatment however, should be based on data and evidence rather than emotional reaction - but the family of the victim are entitled to those emotions and probably feel very understandably different about those kids.

As unpopular as it is I think 16 is an adult. I came from a country where that was legally the case and I certainly was an adult. In fact I moved out of my mom's home, lived on my own and finished high school and then college. But there was a huge range of abilities and levels of maturity. I have no issue with 18 being the delineation tho.

I'm very curious about the adults in their lives from school to home. And I am always cognizant of the innocent NY teens who were railroaded into confessions in Central Park jogger atrocity. And the certain US president who spent some of his inheritance to throw those kids under a racist bus and market them to the citizens of NYC as "animals and superpredators" without a lick of evidence.

Last edited:

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Saying "the children shot the musician" is based on what? Did they each pass around a gun and take one shot each? I certainly think there is an issue with these kids trying to take the car as a group, but if only one took out the gun and shot they guy, that makes the others guilty? Do we know for sure whether or not the other kids objected?

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I knew killing someone was wrong when I was five!!

...I also had the intellect and experience of a fucking five year old and could probably be convinced killing was a good thing at the drop of a hat. That's why we don't treat minors as adults. This isn't that complicated FFS.