PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm 30, and until my recent purchase of a house I had about 3.5x my salary in savings. Sounds more impressive than it is though, I don't make an awful lot.

Of course I also lived with my parents until about three months ago. Not the most grown-up move, but really helpful for saving.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
The $80,000 refers to take-home pay, not total salary. Which is what you'll be taking in if you decide to become a pediatrician and after paying off your monthly debt. If $80,000 sounds like enough for you to live near Georgetown or any other HCOL area, go for it. I just think it's very sad that high debt burden influences something that should be a vocation.

It is unfortunate. There is a tradeoff for pediatricians and that is, generally, it is one of the easier specialties in which one can work part-time.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Once you hit 20x your annually salary there isn't much benefit in working anymore (unless you really like your job of course!) at 20x you can live off investment returns indefinitely without touching the principle.

If you're going to go over that before 60 you should really look into diverting some of that into an HSA if you aren't already.

Thank you for this insight! I hadn't heard that before.

I think for now we'll be aggressive since we are still young and it's not known what the future might hold. But I'll definitely look into a HSA option. Currently I'm just trying to catch up a bit with my wife being in grad school and paying down her school loan. That said we are on track to be debt free by mid-next year, with a house we bought in 2009 for cheap, and investing well. After that we're probably going to consider kids since we finally will feel financially stable enough enough.

Damisa

Oct 25, 2017
Home equity should obviously count, if you own a 200K home and have no savings you are still better off than someone with 100K savings and no home equity.

So someone who makes 50K a year and owns a 100K house qualifies. I'm 36 and have ~3x in total net savings/assets.

Oct 29, 2017
If I contribute exactly what I do now for the next ~7 years to reach 35 AND there is no absolutely no change in the market then I'll have contributed just under what I make yearly now, so no.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Are we talking base salary and no bonuses? Because my bonuses account for like 15% of my income.

My 401k surely doesn't have double, but if I include cash and stocks I do.

A good rule of thumb in your 401k is to have equal to your salary at 35 - I meet that criteria.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
All for the memes.

But no. I only have about 1/4 of my current salary saved in my retirement 401k at the moment. I am 29.

Last edited:

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It's not sad, it's smart.
And I would bet your lifestyle isn't significantly different from some people who have saved nothing.
You would lose that bet. People who are spending money and enjoying their 20s are living life much differently than those who are saving are working all the time.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The difference between spending 100% of your salary and spending 90% of your salary is insignificant. They are still enjoying their 20s and living life, but investing that 10% is the difference between having a decent retirement and having nothing.
There is much more to life than your 20s.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no.
I should be saving better though.

Im going to get a debit card, setup the direct deposit for 10% and then shred the card.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Just adjusted the my student loan payments to increase each month by 33%... RIP.

I kind forgot about how I wanted to have my emergency fund set up that would basically cover for me for 6 months without working...

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Your current salary or your salary at 35? I think I will be OK in either case but only base salary. Also can I count equity in my home? Because I spent a portion of my savings on that.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just adjusted the my student loan payments to increase each month by 33%... RIP.

I kind forgot about how I wanted to have my emergency fund set up that would basically cover for me for 6 months without working...

I just got this job recently. I decided on an arbitrary number to get for my savings account, and when I get there (maybe early September) I'm going to stop putting anything in savings and start paying more in loans, even though I already do a huge chunk every month.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I live in Costa Rica, and I have almost 50%of my yearly salary saved. Twice is too difficult unless you are not buying anything. I am 32 tho.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea how to do that. I am terrible with stocks.
Index funds. You don't have to know anything. Unless the market totally tanks for decades you will make money then emergency money in some type of money market account that at least you get more interest than a bank. If you stacked 100K you did something right.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It has been fidelity's guidance for years. I wonder why it is blowing up now?

retirement_series_10x_chart1_v2.jpg
Does this work if your salary scales dramatically? I guess you should be able to save more accordingly but hard to say you should be able to ramp from 2 to 3 in 5 years if half that time is spent at a lower level, for example. Maybe it doesn't matter...

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
What's the deal with a retirement pension in America? While I have no savings at all and a crap min wage job at least I know I'll get a state pension when it comes, as shit as that pension may be in the UK. Do you guys have automatic contributions when in employment or is it something you have to deal with yourself manually (like for minimum wage jobs, not you guys doing well who clearly are on top of things)?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Save $100 per month, invested at 10% per year, age 20 to 65, will be worth $1,118,000
Compound interest is your friend.

Had this in another thread and people crapped on it saying 10% is impossible, (it isn't, and certainly hasn't been impossible during the last decade), but people will say anything to make excuses for not saving. Trust me, it's not that hard to see 10%. The stock market is your friend. ETFs are a bargain.

So be pessimistic and say you don't reach 10%, or maybe $100 a month is too much, so you only save $750,000 by age 65. That's still a damn nice nest egg for making the attempt.

The point is... do nothing, get nothing. Even a mediocre attempt at investing makes a huge difference when you start young.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with a retirement pension in America? While I have no savings at all and a crap min wage job at least I know I'll get a state pension when it comes, as shit as that pension may be in the UK. Do you guys have automatic contributions when in employment or is it something you have to deal with yourself manually (like for minimum wage jobs, not you guys doing well who clearly are on top of things)?
The U.S. has largely shifted from defined benefit plans (you get x% of your salary for the rest of your life) to defined contribution plans (where you get a portion of whatever you've saved in a tax advantaged manner over your working career). The shift has its pros and cons. The burden and risk of saving has shifted entirely from the employer to the employee, for one. That's the biggest con and probably the biggest deal overall. No longer can you take care of yourself just for working at one company all your life. On the other hand, people are more mobile now and move around a lot; 401K plans (which is the name of the employer sponsored tax advantaged saving plan) are mobile and can "go with you" in one form or another.

If you're disciplined and save modestly over time, you really should be fine. The problem is that most Americans don't or can't save because wages have stagnated for like 40 years. But this is a different problem.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Save $100 per month, invested at 10% per year, age 20 to 65, will be worth $1,118,000

Had this in another thread and people crapped on it saying 10% is impossible, (it isn't, and certainly hasn't been impossible during the last decade), but people will say anything to make excuses for not saving. Trust me, it's not that hard to see 10%. The stock market is your friend. ETFs are a bargain.

So be pessimistic and say you don't reach 10%, or maybe $100 a month is too much, so you only save $750,000 by age 65. That's still a damn nice nest egg for making the attempt.

The point is... do nothing, get nothing. Even a mediocre attempt at investing makes a huge difference when you start young.
Ya. I learned the hard way. My brothers and sisters yelled at me for not starting earlier and I thought I needed the money because I finally moved out and whatnot. You realize you can't get back years and just throw in extra money to get back what you could have made. My 401K at my job saved me. There is zero chance I could ever remotely stack the money I have so far.

Nov 3, 2017
My savings would be a good 50k off from doubling my current salary, but it would still be in six figures, so it's not the worst situation to be in. Could definitely be better though

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in good shape by these metrics, but I realize that I am in the minority. I've had a lot of good luck (and privilege, to be honest) helping me to get where I am.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
This is why the majority have funds that manages their money for them. Put it in to a Vanguard TDF and let it grow. Hell, putting it in to T-bills would be better than letting it sit in a bank.
Not trying to be snarky, but as someone who spent too long on the step of "yeah, sounds good, I should figure out how to do that", the common index fund recommendation is nice but also not the confusing part at all. I've still yet to find a guide that actually explains how the fuck to do it. It's one thing to say "open a vanguard account and put money in things", but nobody seems to answer the follow up question of "and exactly how do I do so without running afoul of tax law in the process?"

It's my number 1 cause of dread when tax season rolls around, because apart from hiring an accountant I'm just winging it. (Example: Roth contribution limits.) I'm going to end up hiring an accountant.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017

The past few years have been great if you were lucky and shifted to aggressive growth funds. The one I picked has beat handily every one avaliable that I can choose in my plan. Fidelity growth company fund class k.

2016 - 14% return
2017 - 37% return
2018 YTD - 10% return

I say if you are under 40, just go pure aggressive or market-based, like index.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
"Double your salary" is really arbitrary. If you make 50k/year and have double your salary, is that enough? Compared to someone who makes 100k/year and as 200k in savings?

I doubt I'll get to whatever that is by the time I'm 35. I wont be graduating school till I'm 29 anyway.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
It's tough to quantify considering I have a pension and not a 401k. Even with my Roth IRA and 457 I should have double my salary in 5 years. Luckily my parents were financially very smart and passed it down onto me. When everyone is high school and college was blowing all their money on their car, clothes and other material items I was saving.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I already fucked up then. I guess any amount in the past 5 years that I would have heavily invested have gone towards student loans, so what I really missed out has been the differential between my variable rate and w/e the average return has been from a popular index fund over the past 5 years. So, it's not a total loss, but I think I'm going to try to take this advice and actually start allocating maybe 25% of savings towards index funds. Just want to build up savings just incase everything goes to shit with the economy during Trump era.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Double your salary" is really arbitrary. If you make 50k/year and have double your salary, is that enough? Compared to someone who makes 100k/year and as 200k in savings?

I doubt I'll get to whatever that is by the time I'm 35. I wont be graduating school till I'm 29 anyway.

These guides are just based on rough assumptions of what you need to maintain your standard of living at your income level in retirement. They're not great if someone is willing to spend much less per year in retirement—but that's a risky gamble as you never know how much you'll need for good health are, nursing homes etc. down the road as medicare is pretty shitty.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
It has been fidelity's guidance for years. I wonder why it is blowing up now?

retirement_series_10x_chart1_v2.jpg
This is an odd graphic since you wouldn't expect it to be linear. Going from 7x to 8x should basically take three years of market returns. So you do better than that between 55 and 60 without saving anything additional.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I still have 7 more years to go, but currently even when I add up my 401k my roth/investment and savings I only have 35% of my annual income pre-tax. Getting to 200% is gonna be very difficult unless bitcoin go crazy or something lol

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
If you take into account my student loan/other debt I won't even be close.

I will probably be fine though as I am investing small amounts into my 401k (5% a month, though I don't have matching) and a reasonable pension as a school teacher.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
When everyone in high school and college was blowing all their money on their car, clothes and other material items I was saving.
A new car loan is another one of the biggest debt rip offs out there. But people just gotta have their toys. People think a car is an asset, but just driving off the lot sees thousands of dollars disappear. A car is a liability, not an asset.

Buy a used car. No loan at all. Buy whatever you can pay outright with savings. Or better yet if you live in a city with decent public transit, don't buy a car at all. Millions of people use public transit and never buy a car.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is an odd graphic since you wouldn't expect it to be linear. Going from 7x to 8x should basically take three years of market returns. So you do better than that between 55 and 60 without saving anything additional.

I asked about that too. Their model is apparently building in very large wage increases. While I can see someone doubling their salary from 25 to 30 and 30 to 35 etc. I agree it seems unlikely you'll double from 55 to 60.