• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jeez people the post that sparked this was a humorous jab about an indie dev making zelda a major playable character how did it turn into this?

I mean, the 'jab' basically wound down to something like "It's taken Disney purchasing Fox to finally make a movie with X-Men characters in it" because the Fox movies aren't part of the MCU or made with the supervision of Marvel Studios.

Obviously, more playable Zelda is great, and I definitely am excited to play Cadence of Hyrule - and Zelda likely will be the first character I play it with - and the notion of having more games with Zelda as a playable character is something that should be pursued, including the mainline Zelda games. There could've been a multitude of jabs taken at the expense of Nintendo's reluctance to use the titular character of the Zelda series as its main protagonist.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Necrodancer can be a pretty tough game, even for the rhythmically inclined. Curious if this will be more narrative-focused and ease players in a bit more leniently. Not saying it has to be a cakewalk, of course.

I'd at least like the option to be there, since a wide range of difficulty is always welcome. The original game's characters ranged from very relaxed (Bard) to absolute nightmare (Coda). Maybe they can have different unlockable characters from both Necrodancer and Zelda, all with their own playstyles.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
I'm sure someone at Team Cherry is modeling Samus as we speak to put her in Silksong as a playable character and will be revealed when they announce the release date of the game to throw Metroid fans a bone while we wait for Metroid Prime 4.

Edit: Remember Silksong is supposed to release on Switch and PC first.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I know of one Zelda game (Spirit Tracks), what is the other?
Phantom Hourglass, according to the rest of the thread, unless people were mistaking it for Spirit Tracks? I've seen people say both of them in here. I only got to the final dungeon and never finished it so I was taking their word as more knowledgable, I assume you play as her during the final battle or something. But even if she isn't, subtracting one game from that list doesn't really make the argument any different at all. She's been playable multiple times across multiple games in multiple genres from multiple developers. It didn't take an indie dev to finally do anything that hadn't already been done, the statement even as a joke is still factually wrong.

Jackwebbbbigseptemberman.jpg

We can all agree that she needs to be playable WAY MORE though!! ):<

Jeez people the post that sparked this was a humorous jab about an indie dev making zelda a major playable character how did it turn into this?
How did it turn into this? Read the thread. It's ridiculous (and yes I'm also lumping myself into that as well)

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how this is a thing.

I need an interview with the devs to explain how this came to be. This is fascinating to me. Like, we've had Indies show up in things like Smash, we've had smaller but still established devs have their own shot at Nintendo IP but I don't think we've had something like this before, where a small indie team basically gets to make their own Zelda X *their IP*.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I mean, the 'jab' basically wound down to something like "It's taken Disney purchasing Fox to finally make a movie with X-Men characters in it" because the Fox movies aren't part of the MCU or made with the supervision of Marvel Studios.

Obviously, more playable Zelda is great, and I definitely am excited to play Cadence of Hyrule - and Zelda likely will be the first character I play it with - and the notion of having more games with Zelda as a playable character is something that should be pursued, including the mainline Zelda games. There could've been a multitude of jabs taken at the expense of Nintendo's reluctance to use the titular character of the Zelda series as its main protagonist.

You are putting way too much stock into this mate.

Oct 25, 2017
Spike Chunsoft published Necrodancer in Japan, so they probably have rights for this sequel. Also... they published Witcher 3 in Japan? I didn't know they published large games like that. Lots of big Western RPGs on their page.

They almost certainly did a big chunk of the development here. Their role as publisher of Necromancer 1 and developer of other Nintendo roguelikes is a perfect mix for this project.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo

I need an interview with the devs to explain how this came to be. This is fascinating to me. Like, we've had Indies show up in things like Smash, we've had smaller but still established devs have their own shot at Nintendo IP but I don't think we've had something like this before, where a small indie team basically gets to make their own Zelda X *their IP*.
Hyrure Warrios wasn't like this?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Does Puzzle Dragons X Mario count?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Spike Chunsoft published Necrodancer in Japan, so they probably have rights for this sequel. Also... they published Witcher 3 in Japan? I didn't know they published large games like that. Lots of big Western RPGs on their page.

They almost certainly did a big chunk of the development here. Their role as publisher of Necromancer 1 and developer of other Nintendo roguelikes is a perfect mix for this project.

I didn't know they were the publisher in Japan. I guess that's how the Danganronpa crossover happened.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never know about Crypt of the Necromancer before.
So I go looking for the price and it's only 4 dollars on Xbox and ps4, but 20 on switch.

Why so much difference? I prefer to play on switch, so I will waiting for a price drop. But seriously, these price differences sometimes kill buying games on switch for me.
The most likely answer there is because it's newer on Switch. Crypt of the Necrodancer was already years old on other platforms by the time it was on Nintendo's platform.
Doesn't the Switch version include all the DLCs?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

Makes sense. I still think it's weird that Nintendo isn't publishing this title feat Zelda characters but given Spike Chunsoft probably got the rights to publish NecroDancer and any sequels that came, it fits.

Hyrure Warrios wasn't like this?
The Musou series isn't a small IP like NecroDancer is. They're also both Japanese companies that had good relationships and cross-overs before that point.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Does Puzzle Dragons X Mario count?

Oooh. Yeah, I forgot about that one (despite owning it and really liking it.)

I can't remember though, but wasn't that huge on mobile platforms and had a lot of revenue. I mean, I guess it's similar, but it's been a while so my memory of it is that Puzzle Dragons was a pretty huge money maker, so while it's a super weird thing to just add Mario to it feels more natural to pair Mario + huge money maker than a critically acclaimed but still pretty niche and small indie game + Zelda.

But yeah, honestly forgot about Puzzle Dragons + Mario. These things happening with Nintendo always feel weird. Like how Shovel Knight was the first third party Amiibo. Still feels weird when Nintendo does cool stuff with western independent devs.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if that analogy really works. Disney literally couldn't make X-Men movies before buying Fox. Or do you mean "It's taken Disney buying Fox for a movie [from any studio] featuring the X-Men to be made""? Cause Nintendo has absolutely nothing stopping them from making Zelda games where Zelda herself is playable. They just need to do it more and their previous excuses for why they haven't are fuckin' dumb.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
WOW that's a big get for the devs! Congrats to them.

I love that Nintendo is opening up they're IP to indie companies now. Hope we get to see more collaborations like maybe a certain racer being paired with Shin'en

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One day I'll beat the original game. I think I got to the fourth world/dungeon. It's so hard

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The sprite work looks great. This looks more readable that Crypt of the Necrodancer. What a pleasant surprise and great idea for a cross-over. Doesn't surprise me Nintendo approved the game. It's typically their kind of novel gameplay ideas.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not suggesting that Nintendo is maliciously keeping Zelda out of her games, I'm suggesting that they have no interest it, less interest than the designers they're working with outside of Nintendo anyway.
IIRC this also isn't true, the series director has said in interviews he wants to make a stealth game featuring Sheik, hasn't he (or was it someone else on the Zelda team? I know it was someone)? Or do you mean like the upper level people who give the green light to projects have no interest?

Edit: Here's Miyamoto talking about it, at least but I could have sworn the director wanted to do it too. Unless there was some other stealth game he talked about wanting to make and I'm merging the two?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WOW that's a big get for the devs! Congrats to them.

I love that Nintendo is opening up they're IP to indie companies now. Hope we get to see more collaborations like maybe a certain racer being paired with Shin'en

Fast Racing Zero developed by Shin'en would be a dream come true.

Tingle as the singing shopkeeper please!

Koolooh Limpa!

I like how the trailer used Tal Tal Heights' theme AKA the Superior Zelda Overworld Theme

I think that was done on purpose because of the LA Remake. :D

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the trailer used Tal Tal Heights' theme AKA the Superior Zelda Overworld Theme

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Can't imagine how happy the devs must feel about this, just think you made a niche indie game and now that game is crossing over with Zelda

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC this also isn't true, the series director has said in interviews he wants to make a stealth game featuring Sheik, hasn't he (or was it someone else on the Zelda team? I know it was someone)? Or do you mean like the upper level people who give the green light to projects have no interest?

I think that was Retro Studios. That said, I'm 100% sure that there are people who work in Nintendo divisions who want this, but I'm skeptical that we will see the powers that be make that happen.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Isnt there a thread already about zelda appearances sparked by this game?. Please take that discussion there.
Yes is shitty that there are not enough games with Zelda but if you keep discussing it here karma will reward you with a Super Princess Zelda where her powers are her mood swings.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
The original went completely under my radar, so this really caught me by surprise! I hope this is the beginning of many such partnerships with more dormant franchises.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think that was Retro Studios. That said, I'm 100% sure that there are people who work in Nintendo divisions who want this, but I'm skeptical that we will see the powers that be make that happen.

I thought Retro was the one who brought up wanting to do a Tingle game in order to make people like Tingle? lol

give yacht club games a nintendo property license you cowards

Wario Land made by Yacht Club! OMG.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I edited my post but you were too quick! Miyamoto talked about it in an interview a while back:

"Within the development team, too, there have been talks about how it might be cool to have a game that features Sheik as a protagonist. It's having maybe a Zelda spin-off with Sheik as a protagonist, for example, I don't think that's an impossibility."

But I could have sworn the director also commented on wanting to do it too, still trying to find it

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Curious that Nintendo seems to be more relaxed using its IP. Is this one of the first times they've let an indie developer properly use one of their IPs?

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I don't know how I don't own the original game on any platform. Played it a bit at a friend's house and that's it.

Switch version is looking tempting.