Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Yeah the frat boy description really buries the lede. Unless we're admitting fraternity houses are a den of sexism, sexual harassment, abuse, and suicide...in which case we have a lot of reflection to do as a society.
Well... yeah? Since when are frat houses anything other than exactly that?

When I see that language I immediately think of toxic masculinity and its worst aspects.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not want to be Activision/Blizzard's attorney right now thinking of how you answer these charges in your answer... or god forbid a cross-complaint

Yeah the frat boy description really buries the lede. Unless we're admitting fraternity houses are a den of sexism, sexual harassment, abuse, and suicide...in which case we have a lot of reflection to do as a society.

I know frat members will dismiss this but I doubt there's a single frat house in America (talking the greek animal house kinda frats) that haven't had at least one sexual assault committed in them. Frat Culture is repulsive. I'm embarrassed I went to multiple parties at some (was never a member)

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
"Frat boy" I feel like just really undermines the cruel, calculated nature of these people's behavior. Like they weren't dumb kids who didn't know any better or got really drunk one night and made a terrible mistake. I get why they went with the headline, but it just doesn't feel like it gives the events the appropriate weight.

I wouldn't describe Harvey Weinstein's behavior in an article as "frat boy behavior" either.
Yeah, I think you are right. It's definetly better to describe what happen than to just write "frat boy behavior". I'll think about it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Well... yeah? Since when are frat houses anything other than exactly that?

When I see that language I immediately think of toxic masculinity and its worst aspects.
I'll field the same question I did earlier: would you describe Harvey Weinstein's behavior as "frat boy" behavior? As a society we don't actually take seriously either what goes on in fraternity houses, for a lot of people that headline is going to make people think of young troublemaking teens, not adults who viciously abused their co-workers systemically.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
100% by going above and beyond finding ways to continue the status quo we send the signal that the status quo is more important to the gaming community that a fucking company so rotten it drives its women employees to suicide following a systemic, ignored and frankly rewarded pattern of abuse.

What more would Blizzard have to do to have you consider deplatforming them Raging Spaniard.

Agreed.

If they do get deplatformed, thats fine, its certainly earned.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ban all Activision-Blizzard related discussion here. They're pure evil. That screenshot about the suicide on the business trip is a fucking nightmare.

Feb 24, 2018
"Video game giant Activision Blizzard Inc., maker of games including World of Warcraft and Diablo, fosters a "frat boy" culture in which female employees are subjected to constant sexual harassment, unequal pay, and retaliation, according to a lawsuit filed by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't this the same description of Ubisoft, Rockstar and Riot who also had crappy work cultures and mssive abuses ns harassment? Why do so may game companies have this sort of culture? Wouldn't surprise me if Activision had thier staff meetings at strip clubs like those other three.

What the hell.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"Frat boy" I feel like just really undermines the cruel, calculated nature of these people's behavior. Like they weren't dumb kids who didn't know any better or got really drunk one night and made a terrible mistake. I get why they went with the headline, but it just doesn't feel like it gives the events the appropriate weight.

I wouldn't describe Harvey Weinstein's behavior in an article as "frat boy behavior" either.

Indeed and totally shifts the personal blame for the deliberate, knowing abuse and gaslighting towards a more nebulous "going along with the rest of the boys which may have got out of hand" reason.

Like you say, avoids giving the events their proper "weight" Blizzard abused someone to the point where she felt the only option left available to her was to take her life, they don't get to minimise that given the systemic issues in the culture there.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Lamptramp , the one thing I'm concerned about with a total ban is something like the Steisand effect happening. If Era bans all discussion of them Activision is still going to be opening, they're still going to be announcing multi million selling games, they're still going to be releasing them. At which point, Era becomes a bit worse of a gaming information resource, which may encourage people to go to other websites that aren't enacting any kind of policy and which Era can't force to cooperate. It also reduces the opportunity to spread information on their abuse if we aren't talking about them at all.

A total blackout can have the biggest potential effect on Activision's bottom line and would probably be easier for site moderation. But if we have minimal, news-only threads, along with forcing them to be packaged with the information about Activision's abusive culture and consistently aggressive moderation towards drivebys trying to push gameplay-only discussion, that might be better for colouring the discussion around Activision.

I'm personally fine with either approach as long as it's a strong one.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
They will send the people to trainings and call it a day.
edit: to be clear... I am angry that nothing will happen again. I mean what happened with Riot? Trainings... and nothing else.
Still a terrible company.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, isn't this the same description of Ubisoft, Rockstar and Riot who also had crappy work cultures and mssive abuses ns harassment? Why do so may game companies have this sort of culture? Wouldn't surprise me if Activision had thier staff meetings at strip clubs like those other three.

What the hell.
Honestly I think this is an intersection of two problems: software/tech culture and industries that until recently have been heavily dominated by men. Look at video game ads until like...10 years ago. Tons of really embarrassing, sexist brodude shit. And tech culture attracts a lot of really... I don't know how else to say this, cruel and uncaring people. So it's just a recipe for disaster overall. Then you throw in a highly unregulated, relatively new yet rapidly growing industry that works its laborers overtime without pay regularly, and it starts to paint a picture.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

What the hell.
I'm sure other people can describe it better than I do, but I think it's a matter of where the culture comes from. A lot of the big gaming companies came from tech, and early tech positioned itself in sort of a libertarian outlook. The mindset viewed itself as the renegade to traditional business in that it tore down a lot of the stuffy rules, such as the overly complex hierarchies and dress codes that you'd find working in a bank or somewhere like that.

But they weren't tearing it down for ethical reasons. They were tearing it down because they thought by reducing these barriers they'd make leaner, more manueverable businesses. That's entirely true, but the thing is that a lot of these barriers existed for very good reason. You have standards of behaviour in a workplace to prevent the potential for harm, but the techbro mindset looks at it as equally unnecessary.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Work culture in general is just toxic as all heck. I think its a rare thing to find a company in any field that isnt a complete trashheap, but these loathsome people are taking it to another level. How they can sleep at night is a total mystery to me.

Though one thing Im confused by is that they seem to use Activision Blizzard and Blizzard interchangeably? These are two different companies and its hard to parse whats happening where.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Work culture in general is just toxic as all heck. I think its a rare thing to find a company in any field that isnt a complete trashheap, but these loathsome people are taking it to another level. How they can sleep at night is a total mistery to me.

Though one thing Im confused by is that they seem to use Activision Blizzard and Blizzard interchangeably? These are two different companies and its hard to parse whats happening where.
They sleep very well since the type of behavior is just normal to them.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Lamptramp , the one thing I'm concerned about with a total ban is something like the Steisand effect happening. If Era bans all discussion of them Activision is still going to be opening, they're still going to be announcing multi million selling games, they're still going to be releasing them. At which point, Era becomes a bit worse of a gaming information resource, which may encourage people to go to other websites that aren't enacting any kind of policy and which Era can't force to cooperate. It also reduces the opportunity to spread information on their abuse if we aren't talking about them at all.

A total blackout can have the biggest potential effect on Activision's bottom line and would probably be easier for site moderation. But if we have minimal, news-only threads, along with forcing them to be packaged with the information about Activision's abusive culture and consistently aggressive moderation towards drivebys trying to push gameplay-only discussion, that might be better for colouring the discussion around Activision.

I'm personally fine with either approach as long as it's a strong one.

I mean its a good point, but at what point and after so many awful things that these companies do does someone do something with a little more "teeth" this is not the only time it has happened and not the only company.
We try and twist and try to do the best so that we can do the most good but this still keeps happening, we are helping no one.

What else can we do? We could deplatform them for anything but this kind of news, or (like its ever likely) news that they have improved like we do for Cyberpunk a "slap on the wrist". These companies never do anything and care even less and hope to distract and rely on the fickle nature of gamers. Even if a complete ban did have a "Streisand effect" it would at least make the reason why more visible every time the marketing and PR machine came around to distract us from the past.

And frankly people who would rather excitedly talk about CoD despite what the company behind it does, would end up on one of those "other sites" sooner rather than later anyway if thats what they care more about.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Absolutely despicable treatment, I hope these women find justice.

I also hope the games media and industry holds the company to account for this and this isn't going to be another Ubisoft where it gets swept under the rug with no changes at the top actually happening.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Anybody who has worked in corporate culture long enough can tell you HR's job is to protect the company, not employees.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Surely that's the end of Blizzard?

Also, where is HR?

HR is always an arm of the company. If they are operating ideally, they recognize that this type of behavior will ultimately cause irreparable damage (and they deal with it accordingly). Unfortunately, we have now seen multiple instances where harassment was enabled by the actions of HR (as they would do more to silence victims than to punish the cretins who were victimizing others).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
unknown.png
Jesus christ

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
my first feeling is to tear down the entire thing. what an absolute nightmare for the people who were treated this way.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

It is literally the language used in the complaint. The "frat boy" culture is likely used to elicit certain imagery and understanding in the judges mind.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Like what the fuck. Just awful.

And those stories about what these people are doing, OMG! Who does shit like that? Just be normal people.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't have a problem with them being shut down at this point.

my first feeling is to tear down the entire thing.

Honestly, yeah. Like, I don't know how you reform this. This isn't a company with a few bad actors, or even one where people all agree to turn a blind eye to the actions of powerful people because they've been successful, this is a company where systemic abuse of women is basically at the core of who they are and how they operate as a company. It's part of the corporate DNA.

Like, even if there was a complete top-to-bottom change in leadership tomorrow, that wouldn't fix this. They are clearly like this to the core.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
"This culture of a lot of dudes, who were nerds before and then got a really cool job and now they think they are hot shit and deserve every woman that is in their spaces."

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Surely that's the end of Blizzard?

Also, where is HR?

As others have mentioned HR deal with employees as a Resource, hence "Human Resources."

If there is anything companies the world over have shown since the dawn of time is that they are more than happy to exploit and abuse the resources which give them the most profit, even (and especially) if by doing so it is eventually destructive to themselves, the business or the world.