• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Lately, Kamiya has been talking a lot about Capcom. Whether it's teases on his instagram of seeing their office, visiting staff of RE2make (I'm willing to bet he gets a special thanks credit at this point), or just talking about them in general on twitter. Kamiya has been pretty positive on Capcom. Which makes sense. Back in 2015 he mention ed in an interview with metro.co.uk that "if there is an opportunity to work together(capcom), that would be something I would proactively lean towards to see what they have in mind.". As of right now I would say things are pretty chummy between the two. Even the Division 1 Capcom Twitter tweeted out this image

capturexgs7f.png

Of course, the other half of this question would be "Does capcom even want to work with platinum?". Capcom's use of third-party developers on their own IPs hasn't really been a thing since Strider back in 2014 (Not counting of course porting studios or collab efforts like SFV, etc). But at this point I'd say why wouldn't they? They've made a big point about bringing back older IPs. In addition to that, we currently have next to no idea what is in the pipeline for the capcom catalog outside of a few RE titles, MonHun Support, MM11, and DMCV. I'd say there is plenty of room for Platinum to join in on the party and help with a Capcom IP revival. So with that out of the way, i'd say the most likely prospects are

Potential Capcom Projects for Platinum/Kamiya
  • Dino Crisis (Kamiya wanted to work on this more than RE2)
  • Okami (Was recently ported to current gen)
  • Viewtiful Joe (Character has had a lot of recent small appearances)
  • Resident Evil Spin-off (IP is big enough to support basically anything)
I would say these are the big four that I could see Platinum handling and Kamiya possibly directing. We currently have no clue on what Kamiya is working on and at this point, I highly doubt he's taking an extended vacation from directing.

So does all of this sound too far-fetched? Or do you think there's a chance these pieces might actually be falling in place like I described? It could be nothing, but I think it's fun to think of the possibility of these two companies working together. Especially considering their history with one another.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Kamiya was serious about that poll he had some time ago and a new VJ could be on the cards?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean despite the break up, neither Kamiya nor Mikami seem to harbor any grudges towards Capcom and as far as I could tell Capcom doesn't treat them like traitors.

A completely different vibe to the Kojima-Konami break up.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, it's been pretty clear for a while that Platinum and Kamiya especially are still fond of Capcom so it's not far fetched at all to assume they'd be willing to work with them.

Kamiya has even stated he wants to make a crossover game with Bayonetta and Dante and went as far as denying Sega his blessing to include her in Project X Zone 2 because he wanted to make a game with them together first (and then regretted it and apologized to fans for it on Twitter).

I think it's an inevitability at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Kamiya has remained friends with Capcom employees and bares no ill will towards the company. I don't think going out for a drink is indicating anything

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Capcom work with a company that makes inferior character action games

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. Platinum is a superior developer and I want to see them developing more unique games.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You should get your mod privileges revoked.
a8396990-dc27-48b8-a24orwx.png

Making a thread on some hunches isn't enough for that.

I hope not. Platinum is a superior developer and I want to see them developing more unique games.

Some of these IPs haven't been touched in so long for a new game. That gameplay wise, they'd be unique if the ideas are there. If you're talking about platinum making their own IPs, they haven't done that since W101.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
LOL at tipstergaming.

Also no, It's not going to happen. They'd sooner deep dive into Itsuno projects.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Well yeah, it's been pretty clear for a while that Platinum and Kamiya especially are still fond of Capcom so it's not far fetched at all to assume they'd be willing to work with them.

Kamiya has even stated he wants to make a crossover game with Bayonetta and Dante and went as far as denying Sega his blessing to include her in Project X Zone 2 because he wanted to make a game with them together first (and then regretted it and apologized to fans for it on Twitter).

I think it's an inevitability at this point.
To be fair to Kamiya I'm almost positive he only told everyone sorry once he found out Segata Sanshiro was in the game and he missed out on a chance for Bayo and Sanshiro to meet up.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Every Platinum game has released after DMC4 and they still can't touch the king

Eh...

If you wanna argue that DMC4:SE is better than bayonetta or bayonetta 2, I'll entertain that.

If you wanna argue that Vanilla DMC4 is better than bayonetta...I don't think so Tim.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I skimmed through the OP and then when I got to the potential projects list and saw Dino Crisis, looked at the top, and noticed, yep, it's a Jawmuncher thread.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's totally outlandish or anything at all.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TFW we'll never see what was in the castle at the end of VJ2.

I'll take ports too. Okami got 3.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking about platinum making their own IPs, they haven't done that since W101.

They haven't done it at all. PG doesn't own any of the IPs they've worked on. They're split between Sega, Nintendo, Konami, Activision, Square-Enix and Microsoft.

They do want to do it at some point though, and they recently said they're financially comfortable enough to consider making their first PlatinumGames-owned title.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Most of the responses in this thread are either calling you crazy or saying that won't be happening. That's basically halfway confirming that it'll become true, we all know how bad we are at making predictions or simply not having any faith wahtsoever on crazy things.

I'm on board, they're definitely in talks and something great might come out in the near future. Even if it's just related to the REmake 2 project, we'll win regardless, and that could lead into something bigger later, so i'm always hopeful.

VJ2B2e2.png

tzqogqS.png