Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Lame for the crossplay, it doesnt fix the main problem of no crossplay for pc cod games which is that they die a month after release. Was a sure purchase upon reading the op but now not so sure
It would be nice if they instead matched players by input method rather than platform. KB+M against KB+M, controller vs controller, etc.

Oh shi...cross play? Ps vs xbox mp? The carnage!!
Seems like it's only PS4 <-> PC and XB1 <-> PC.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just watched some playlists of skull splitter mozu PC kills. No way I want to play against those kind of sweaties on my PS4

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yah, few decent ones don't make up for an industry of mediocrity, coddling up to publishers and lack of any standards or bearer to entry. There is little respect for it for a reason.

The vast majority of people in any field are incompetent. Not everyone is the best at what they do or works for a company that's at the forefront of their industry. Suggesting that exclusively games journalism suffers from mediocrity is absurd.

Additionally, those who have "little respect" for it are largely extremist enthusiast. The type of people who feel that they and their internet mob are the authority on the matter, and have forum meltdowns when an outlet gives a game they like a poor score. The kind of people who latched onto gamergate bullshit.

The games industry as a whole very explicitly values their peers at outlets like Giant Bomb, Kotaku, Polygon, Waypoint, Eurogamer, Famitsu, EGM, etc. Additionally, I don't know where this "low barrier to entry" stuff is coming from. It's certainly not at all easier to get a job in videogames journalism than it is any other form of journalism. If anything, it would be dramatically easier to find a position as a generic beat writer at a news outlet, compared to getting into covering a niche form of media.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The vast majority of people in any field are incompetent. Not everyone is the best at what they do or works for a company that's at the forefront of their industry. Suggesting that exclusively games journalism suffers from mediocrity is absurd.

Additionally, those who have "little respect" for it are largely extremist enthusiast. The type of people who feel that they and their internet mob are the authority on the matter, and have forum meltdowns when an outlet gives a game they like a poor score. The kind of people who latched onto gamergate bullshit.

The games industry as a whole very explicitly values their peers at outlets like Giant Bomb, Kotaku, Polygon, Waypoint, Eurogamer, Famitsu, EGM, etc.
The games industry values outlets because they are free marketing lmao...What a bad arguement

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I'm a little bummed that we're simply just getting another cinematic linear Call of Duty experience.

For pretty much the biggest franchise in video games, I think the Single Player aspect of these games could be much much more.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Do you genuinely think that the people who work for publishers and developers have no relationship with the press outside of "well they market our games lmao"?
Do you think that has any relevence for respect for their work on a factual / consumer friendly / professional writing level? For every Jason there are 10 guys that can't even play their game at an above average level. Watch a CoD MP review, how are we supposed to call these decent reviews when the people reviewing the game are the bottom of the barrel lobby filler? The amount of podcasts I've listened to where people that are "Journalists" have no idea how game development, or tech specs works is hilarious.

"Your eyes can only see 24fps" is something I have literally heard on the Xbox podcast. Like fuck.

Feel the need to call everything "DARK SOULS MEETS X". "Oblivion with Guns" was a joke at the time but is a running theme. Regardless this is off topic.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Fell off the COD bandwagon (and FPS games in general) several years ago, but this trailer has me interested. Some of the visuals like the night vision looked freakin real.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The like to dislike ratio is amazing, cod games usually get dislike bombed but this new reboot seems to tick about all of the right boxes.

PoopBlasters

Nov 10, 2017
Treyarch is so fucked lmao. We'll see if they stick to their bullshit 3 lane linear map design once they get taken to the woodshed by Geoffery Smith and Alex Roycewicz designed maps.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If you had told me that my interest in Cod would be reinvigorated by a reboot to Modern Warfare two years ago, I'd have called you crazy. This trailer looks insaaaanely good holy shit!

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think that has any relevence for respect for their work on a factual / consumer friendly / professional writing level? For every Jason there are 10 guys that can't even play their game at an above average level. Feel the need to call everything "DARK SOULS MEETS X". "Oblivion with Guns" was a joke at the time but is a running theme. Regardless this is off topic.

What's your point here? For every Jony Ive there's literally hundreds of thousands of industrial designers that churn out barely acceptable work every day. For every Quentin Tarantino there's hundreds of thousands of horrible "directors" making terrible content for terrible platforms. As I said in my last post, the vast majority of people in any profession are terrible at what they do and work for problematic companies. Journalism and games journalism is not unique in this, and it's notably problematic to discredit it in a context like this where valid criticisms of this game and the way it handles complex, delicate social issues are being dismissed on the basis of "lmao dumb idiot journalist it's like they didn't even see the new graphics".

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cross play better be opt in. I'm not playing against a kb/m user with a controller lol.

CoD games are designed for console controls; they don't benefit much from kb/m because the map design funnels all enemies in front of you so that a console controller player can just press the left and shoulder buttons and hit someone without doing much camera control. You rarely ever have to look up or spin 90 degrees towards a different path, for example.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's your point here? For every Jony Ive there's literally hundreds of thousands of industrial designers that churn out barely acceptable work every day. For every Quentin Tarantino there's hundreds of thousands of horrible "directors" making terrible content for terrible platforms. As I said in my last post, the vast majority of people in any profession are terrible at what they do and work for problematic companies. Journalism and games journalism is not unique in this.
The games industry journalism is bottom of the barrel for any of the main industries. Likely due to it's earlier adoption of Youtube/Internet formats.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really confused, is this just a remake of Modern Warfare, basically starting over from scratch and using Price as the tether to OG Modern Warfare and branching off with a brand new story?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'm really confused, is this just a remake of Modern Warfare, basically starting over from scratch and using Price as the tether to OG Modern Warfare and branching off with a brand new story?

It's a "soft reboot", so yes pretty much. And the voices at the end of the trailer suggest the other figures of MW like Soap, Ghost and Roach will be returning as well if their deaths are retconned.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will it have cross-progression or just cross play?

Based on EZA's video, seems like it will be a re-imagining/reboot, not a remake. They realized that they went too far with the technology/spectacle, and instead of going bigger they are going deeper.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

It's only a remake in that it's the same setting with some familiar characters. Otherwise it's a new timeline with different events.

A remake I feel would have been if this game still had the basic story of CoD4.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I guess I'm a little bummed that we're simply just getting another cinematic linear Call of Duty experience.

For pretty much the biggest franchise in video games, I think the Single Player aspect of these games could be much much more.
Like what for example? We have enough huge open world bloat AAA games and linear AAA campaigns are just about dead these days.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

They did try some new idea with Infinite Warfare's campaign but it got done dirty by the usual COD peasants because of its lackluster MP. Obviously Activision looks at the bigger picture and figures out "Well no one liked the game so lets go back to the usual".

To be fair though, I still enjoy COD's high budget linear short campaigns, we just don't get many of those these days.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will it have cross-progression or just cross play?

Based on EZA's video, seems like it will be a re-imagining/reboot, not a remake. They realized that they went too far with the technology/spectacle, and instead of going bigger they are going deeper.

I'm down with that, I lost interest in Modern Warfare when they had the fucking Russian's "sneak" attack the Eastern US and had the leading general of the armed forces working behind everyones back to cause a world war with the primary bad dude.

A more grounded story is what I can get behind. Real life is interesting enough as it is, it doesn't take much to make a dramatic story (IE: Loose nukes and tracking them down)

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
So since there is no season pass, how long till the micro transactions appear with locked weapons?

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with PC being on the Blizz launcher again, but definitely holding off on a preorder until we see a more complete picture.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to hear about the multiplayer aspect of the game which I'm sure they'll be plenty of in a next few months.

Considering infinity Ward has not made a good call of duty game multiplayer wise, since 2009 I'm not having much hope the multiplayer will be good.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just realized the trailer had the "White Helmets", the Syrian humanitarian group.

That's going to be interesting.

FBkLEGM.png

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched a YouTuber describe the campaign preview and he mentioned how they didn't even see the "very mature content."

I really hope there isn't a rape scene in this game. Straight up that type of content is just not worth putting in a game. This CoD sounds like it deserves an Adult Only rating.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just watched a YouTuber describe the campaign preview and he mentioned how they didn't even see the "very mature content."

I really hope there isn't a rape scene in this game. Straight up that type of content is just not worth putting in a game. This CoD sounds like it deserves an Adult Only rating.

...Why would there be a rape scene in a CoD game?

It's kinda obvious the "mature content" refers to the death of civilians via terror attacks/civil war conflicts shown in the trailer or torture scenes.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
...Why would there be a rape scene in a CoD game?

It's kinda obvious the "mature content" refers to the death of civilians via terror attacks/civil war conflicts shown in the trailer
No it is not obvious since in the video the YouTuber already describes civilian death, massive children death, and murder by child victims. An Activision saying that what was shown off to those who were at the preview wasn't even the "very mature content" (scare quotes used by the YouTuber implying the employee used them) calls into question what else could be shown.

The preview focused on a town being massacred with a playground of dead children.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
So, is the single player going to work from the disc or is it going to require a patch again?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No it is not obvious since in the video the YouTuber already describes civilian death, massive children death, and murder by child victims. An Activision saying that what was shown off to those who were at the preview wasn't even the "very mature content" (scare quotes used by the YouTuber implying the employee used them) calls into question what else could be shown.

The preview focused on a town being massacred with a playground of dead children.
Death and collateral damage are the bullet points for this game.
Rape isn't. It has never been part of call of duty. Death and Collateral damage have been explored in the past.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Death and collateral damage are the bullet points for this game.
Rape isn't. It has never been part of call of duty. Death and Collateral damage have been explored in the past.
So then feel free to explain how the content already showed doesn't equate to the "very mature content." Since that content already touches on death and collateral damage to a huge degree.

I don't disagree with the fact that CoD never had rape or sexual assault as scene or bullet point in their game, yet using scare quotes and saying that the massive death toll already showed in the preview wasn't even the "very mature content" implies there are more grotesque scenes that are not similar to what was shown.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So then feel free to explain how the content already showed doesn't equate to the "very mature content." Since that content already touches on death and collateral damage to a huge degree.

1) It's PR to get more media focus
2) Things get far more graphic and fucked up. IE: Torture, the death of child characters you control, you being the direct cause of civilian deaths, you killing child soldiers

You're making a big stretch assuming and thinking that infers scenes of rape.

These things aren't even new in games. Spec Ops had you chemically burning and murdering over a hundred innocent people huddled in a corner with women and kids all among them. This just sounds like Activision doing a PR sweep to hype up how "gritty and edgy" they are making this.

As mentioned previously, this is going to be marketed as "Call of Duty: Live Leaks". They are probably going to mimic horrible real world events in their own Modern Warfare universe.

The poster below alluded to the likelihood of their own in-universe Paris mass shooting terrorist attack in London.