Oct 25, 2017
yea i almost went new it was 1897 but 1500 for 9+ ill take it. i've bought a lot of my gear used or refurb.
Used is pretty much the best way to buy stuff. I think you can get a 1600 used Z6 kit currently or something, if I didn't just blow my wad on an A7RIII I might have jumped on that. Still pissed Nikon never refreshed their 135F2DC series.

chapel

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
As long as he sends the thing, I've never had that happen to me, though I've been on Ebay forever and I'm probably feedbacked decently enough.
Ok that's perfect. I saw an A7RIII yesterday for a good price, saw no feedback, no real pics and noped the fuck out of it. With cameras you gotta be careful.
Just wanted to update the thread, my camera came and everything appears as expected. Now I have to learn how to use it.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
meh. i already have d800e d500 and lots of lenses for them.
i like the rugged all weather bodies and focusing and not having an adapter.

I can understand that. My upgrade this go around was tempered by the fact that Nikon was releasing mirrorless cameras and I didn't want to buy a shot load of FX lenses that wouldn't be compatible with the mirrorless bodies.

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that. My upgrade this go around was tempered by the fact that Nikon was releasing mirrorless cameras and I didn't want to buy a shot load of FX lenses that wouldn't be compatible with the mirrorless bodies.
I just said "fuck it" and jacked up my wallet starting fresh
Cp_RIphWcAAYcSQ.jpg:large

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I need help choosing tripod gear.

- I don't care about video;
- Mostly for product photography and low light portraits. Some landscape and astro here and there for fun.
- Today I'm going to use it mostly with the EOS R and Canon 135/2 while doing portraits and the 35/1.8 for products and landscape. I want it to be future proof for a 70-200/2.8 and a bigger body.
- Weight isn't an issue;
- I don't have a fixed budget as long as it isn't made out of gold;
- I'm want to get a very sturdy one what will last for a really long time;

I'm thinking about the Manfrotto Mt055xpro3, but I don't know which head would be the best for me. I guess I would prefer a ball head. Any more specific recommendations?

By the way, do I need to check if the head is compatible with the tripod or are those things universal?

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

- Mostly for product photography and low light portraits. Some landscape and astro here and there for fun.
- Today I'm going to use it mostly with the EOS R and Canon 135/2 while doing portraits and the 35/1.8 for products and landscape. I want it to be future proof for a 70-200/2.8 and a bigger body.
- Weight isn't an issue;

I'm thinking about the Manfrotto Mt055xpro3, but I don't know which head would be the best for me. I guess I would prefer a ball head. Any more specific recommendations?

By the way, do I need to check if the head is compatible with the tripod or are those things universal?

I'd always double check, but 99% of the time you're just looking at a 3/8" screw to connect the sticks to a head. That's unless you're looking between a bowl and a flat tripod head setup. You'd be looking at a flat, normal setup there. I'd recommend looking into a solid pistol grip head too for speed's sake.

I own that exact tripod and it's incredibly solid.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

- Weight isn't an issue;

my rules for tripods

1) buy a more expensive tripod first, than buying 2 or 3 cheaper ones that will cost you more than the nice one would have
2) telescoping tripods are less stable
3) never buy a head with a tripod, the head is always sub par
4) get a arca swiss head and you have universal plate options.

Oct 25, 2017
my rules for tripods

1) buy a more expensive tripod first, than buying 2 or 3 cheaper ones that will cost you more than the nice one would have
My job has like 8 different tripod plates and almost none of them fit onto different tripods, that shit is annoying.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I'd always double check, but 99% of the time you're just looking at a 3/8" screw to connect the sticks to a head. That's unless you're looking between a bowl and a flat tripod head setup. You'd be looking at a flat, normal setup there. I'd recommend looking into a solid pistol grip head too for speed's sake.

I own that exact tripod and it's incredibly solid.
my rules for tripods

Thanks guys. I'm almost certain that I'll get the Mt055xpro3 with the ball head MHXPRO-BHQ2. Just waiting for my payment today to order it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
My job has like 8 different tripod plates and almost none of them fit onto different tripods, that shit is annoying.
yea its annoying. Arca swiss is the standard imo. my 500mm f4 came with arca foot, even though i upgraded the foot and colar, still arca swiss plate.

Thanks guys. I'm almost certain that I'll get the Mt055xpro3 with the ball head MHXPRO-BHQ2. Just waiting for my payment today to order it.
i had the exact same manfotto plate system, i would not recommend it. I've had my camera fall off my tripod while carrying it because that plate is a wedge instead arca swiss style which is a U groove that clamps down. Thankfully my camera was only 18" from the ground when it fell.

meanwhile i throw my 500mm f4 over my shoulder on my tripod and have no fear that its going to fall.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
my rules for tripods

What do you classify as a expensive tripod? Asking for a friend.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What do you classify as a expensive tripod? Asking for a friend.
quality tripods from gitzo, manfrotto, really right stuff etc.
again i wouldnt buy a telescoping one, A they vibrate too much B they become unstable when you try to use them side ways or even extending it up.

thing is, a nice tripod will last you the rest of your life. So just buy a nice one first than buying a cheap one.
Id rather trust my camera equipment and the quality of my shots to a nice tripod than a budget POS.

or put another way "buys 3000 dollar camera and 1500 dollar lenses, 300 dollar tripod" trollface.jpg

chapel

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
If only the usb-c port on the gh5 would charge, but glad to have another device using the same standard as I use for all my devices.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm looking for used gimbals on Ebay and my god, it's just flooded with smartphone gimbals. Maybe one 1/4" screw-mount gimbal for every 10 smartphone mount gimbals.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to read the GFX 100 DPreview review https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-gfx-100-review

"This combination of high resolution, image stabilization and on-sensor phase detection looks to not only drive home its large-sensor advantage over full-frame, but also expand the types of photography to which medium format can be easily applied, making it potentially the most flexible bigger-than-full-frame camera ever. "

Aww yeah...

..."The Fujifilm GFX 100 was launched with a recommended price of $10,000 "

Okay nevermind. Closes tab

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to read the GFX 100 DPreview review https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-gfx-100-review

"This combination of high resolution, image stabilization and on-sensor phase detection looks to not only drive home its large-sensor advantage over full-frame, but also expand the types of photography to which medium format can be easily applied, making it potentially the most flexible bigger-than-full-frame camera ever. "

Aww yeah...

The lenses aren't that cheap either. Just wait for the A7RIII to drop in price and be done with it.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aww yeah...

I mean, considering the competition, that's a surprisingly reasonable price. It's just extremely hard to justify unless you've got insane amounts of disposable income not tied up.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
looking at some other reviews ISO 1600 and even 3200 is surprisingly usable.

Looks like a pretty amazing camera.
Hah....even though subjective, hell my XT3 is very usable upto 3200 and at a pinch 6400. FF is even better. For GFX, I'd assume you can easily shoot at ISO 10K. Though honestly that'd be less than 1% use case for 99% people out there. I hardly see the need for going beyond 6400.

Oct 25, 2017
Hah....even though subjective, hell my XT3 is very usable upto 3200 and at a pinch 6400. FF is even better. For GFX, I'd assume you can easily shoot at ISO 10K. Though honestly that'd be less than 1% use case for 99% people out there. I hardly see the need for going beyond 6400.
Photograph a graduation. I have been at iso 8000 and up, heck I did a pic at 10K last week on the A7RII.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
typically medium format sensors have performed very poorly at high ISO.

i woudlnt use my phase one iq180 at anything other than iso 35. It wasn't until phase one came out with a CMOS sensor that they did better at high iso.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Photograph a graduation. I have been at iso 8000 and up, heck I did a pic at 10K last week on the A7RII.
Are you not using flash?

i woudlnt use my phase one iq180 at anything other than iso 35. It wasn't until phase one came out with a CMOS sensor that they did better at high iso.
Ok got it, I believe the GFX100 uses the same exact sensor as the A7R4, just larger size. Pixel density is the same.

Oct 25, 2017

Lol yeah I worked with 280 for a shoot for an artist and holy moly going past 100 was an exercise in frustration.

But that market finally gave way to CMOS sensors a while back with the 100mp and 50mp backs.

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, I made a stupid impulse buy while browsing between cameras on Ebay. I uh...bid and won a Sony A7ii. Won it after shipping for $400. It was sold as-is because it is broken. It has the "Error. Turn camera off and on" issue It came in today, I turned it on, and it had the error. I turned off and on, and it worked. Left it on for an hour and it hasn't come back. I can definitely survive with this. Now I just have to figure out a lens....too many choices.

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I made a stupid impulse buy while browsing between cameras on Ebay. I uh...bid and won a Sony A7ii. Won it after shipping for $400. It was sold as-is because it is broken. It has the "Error. Turn camera off and on" issue It came in today, I turned it on, and it had the error. I turned off and on, and it worked. Left it on for an hour and it hasn't come back. I can definitely survive with this. Now I just have to figure out a lens....too many choices.
Get it repaired. I would not walk around a camera that has a 50/50 chance of working. I think if you spent $200 more you could've just got a perfectly working camera.

Oct 26, 2017
Get it repaired. I would not walk around a camera that has a 50/50 chance of working. I think if you spent $200 more you could've just got a perfectly working camera.
Yeah. I bought it because I was confident I could fix it myself, and if I couldn't....I'll sell it. It had a ton of bids on it. I'm confident he could have gotten more if he didn't set it to end at 2 AM CST, so I have faith I can break even if needed. I wouldn't have gotten if I planned to do anything professional, but pure hobby for me. As long as it doesn't cut out while I have it on, I am good.