• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone exclusively use electronic shutter? Do you notice any issues?
Really depends on the lighting situation. I tried the E shutter on the A7RIII in my room and noped out of it so hard it's not even funny. No idea how my X-T3 would handle it. I used the E shutter on my X-T2 and 3 for something important during work while filming was going on and it was fine. I mostly just use mechanical shutter though.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone exclusively use electronic shutter? Do you notice any issues?

I'm using an A9, which was made with the electronic shutter as its primary focus, so yeah! I've never encountered any issues, but it also has the fastest readout rate of any sensor on the market, I believe.

I think the X-T3 is generally completely useable even in most action scenes since it also has a fast sensor readout.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've honestly also been finding that it's really fun to limit myself to one or two FLs - definitely stretching and taking some new kinds of shots.

Oct 26, 2017
Dang did you document the process? I'm a fixer but I have zero confidence that I could fix a camera.

Fascinating that you did it
Man I would never be able to do that, glad you fixed it. How'd you learn how to fix cameras?
It's a mixture of great luck and practice. This is my first time taking apart a camera, but I've ripped apart smartphones, game consoles, and old speakers in order to repair, among other things. I've done this stuff a bunch since I was a kid, and you learn tiny things along the way. I've also had plenty that I've taken apart and couldn't fix. If you're really lucky like I was in this case, the issue is purely mechanical. When this camera error came on, I could feel the sensor move the camera in my hands. Just a smidge. Correlation isn't causation, as the ole' saying goes, but feeling the camera shift as the error appeared was a good sign something wasn't moving properly, and from there, it was figuring out what. I would take credit on the next piece, but it was all the internet. The error is so common that many forums were full of posts pinpointing it to the sensor, so I had a guiding light where to look. When looking, I could see the right side of the sensor didn't move as easy as the left. Then it was just a matter of finding out why, and luckily the rubber band caught my eye. Taking it apart to get to that band wasn't hard, and I'm confident anyone could do it. The difficult part that practice helps with is having the patience to take things apart slowly so you can memorize where screws go, ribbons connect, and most important, so you don't break anything trying to rush. I've had projects in the past where I've grown cranky and sped up only to snap a delicate cable.

I'm trying to find other recent posts from forums where users are experiencing this error to see if I can guide them to at least testing the free-movement of the sensor. If a similar issue with it not moving freely from multiple users, it is easy enough to then help them take bottom off to check these bands from underneath. More for my curiosity if this is a common cause.

Why didn't any of you warn me that macro photography would make me realize how dusty all my computer parts are? Oh god I'm going to need to get an electric dust buster or I'll loose my mind. I'm really enjoying the Lumix G7 though. I can see how the in-camera stabilization of the G85 would be really nice for some use-cases, but as long as I'm using my tripod or small stands for my macro stuff, it hasn't been an issue. I am an awful photographer, but this has been so much fun to play around with that I hope to become better over time with more practice.
This is really cool. Please share as you do more of these.

chapel

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I love the value and quality of the 42.5 1.7. Very nice lens for the price. The 25 1.7 is also pretty neat in terms of value.

My most used combo for filming is the Viltrox + Sigma 18-35 1.8 though. Becomes a 25-50 1.2 in this setup.
Thanks for the recommendations. I was looking at those as viable options. Want to avoid buying lenses just to buy them vs filling holes in what I have.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
So I haven't made a camera related purchase for a long time. I've been content with what I have but I recently pulled the trigger on a Nikon 300mm f/4.5 ED IF AIS. I've never owned a lens beyond 125mm besides this novelty 500mm mirror lens that does not hold contrast and is not sharp. Very excited for what it will allow for perspective compression and telephoto landscape photos. The last lens I would need is a super wide in a 21mm lens or even 18mm on full frame. Current widest I own is a 28mm which is an awesome focal length for general shooting but there have been times I wanted to go as wide as possible.

Last edited:

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My wife shot me a message a little earlier asking if I knew anything about DSLRs. She wants one for work (she manages a couple doggie daycare locations). I don't know much at all, so I thought I'd check in with you fine folks for recommendations. I am borrowing the questions from the OP for this thread:

1. What's your budget? ~$500
2. What size/form factor do you prefer? I don't know that she has a preference.
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? Dogs! Mostly up close, if I had to wager. Maybe some medium range stuff.
4. What level of photography experience do you have? I don't think she's really ever used anything more complicated than a point-and-shoot digital camera.
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? Maybe a bit, but probably not a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Oct 25, 2017
My wife shot me a message a little earlier asking if I knew anything about DSLRs. She wants one for work (she manages a couple doggie daycare locations). I don't know much at all, so I thought I'd check in with you fine folks for recommendations. I am borrowing the questions from the OP for this thread:

3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? Dogs! Mostly up close, if I had to wager. Maybe some medium range stuff.
4. What level of photography experience do you have? I don't think she's really ever used anything more complicated than a point-and-shoot digital camera.
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? Maybe a bit, but probably not a lot.

Get a used Nikon D600 and a 50 1.8, that should do it, it's just over budget but the image quality will be excellent.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

I've been using Sony's mirrorless cameras for a bit and I think they're worth a look. The a6000 and a5100 are very newbie friendly and produce stellar images. They're a natural progression from point and shoots and smartphones. You can find them super cheap used, and well under your budget new even. Auto focus might leave something to desire if you're trying to snap photos of greyhounds running around or something though.

Sony's mirrorless offerings have done a really good job at being very newbie friendly, but also being incredibly powerful if you want to learn photography.

I think anything with an electronic viewfinder is worth a look though. I think seeing what your photo looks like before you snap the shutter gives you a really tactile feel for how to expose images manually.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Get a used Nikon D600 and a 50 1.8, that should do it, it's just over budget but the image quality will be excellent.
I've been using Sony's mirrorless cameras for a bit and I think they're worth a look. The a6000 and a5100 are very newbie friendly and produce stellar images. They're a natural progression from point and shoots and smartphones. You can find them super cheap used, and well under your budget new even. Auto focus might leave something to desire if you're trying to snap photos of greyhounds running around or something though.

Sony's mirrorless offerings have done a really good job at being very newbie friendly, but also being incredibly powerful if you want to learn photography.

I think anything with an electronic viewfinder is worth a look though. I think seeing what your photo looks like before you snap the shutter gives you a really tactile feel for how to expose images manually.
Thank you both so much!

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm getting a Fuji APS-C camera sometime in the near future, what's a good wide angle (35mm or wider) budget prime lens to be looking for on FM? Most cameras on FM seem to be sold body only so I'm looking for something to pair that isn't going to break the bank. But I'm not really that familiar with the quality of the various Fuji lenses.

Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm getting a Fuji APS-C camera sometime in the near future, what's a good wide angle (35mm or wider) budget prime lens to be looking for on FM? Most cameras on FM seem to be sold body only so I'm looking for something to pair that isn't going to break the bank. But I'm not really that familiar with the quality of the various Fuji lenses.
You either get the 23 1.4 or F2.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
I'll follow up with another Fuji related question, since I recently purchased an XT3. What is the suggested photo editing software for an amateur? From the experience I had with my old Nikon and Camera Raw, I don't really like to spend that much time overediting my photos (film simulations are a big factor why I moved to Fuji) so I think I'll be ok even with something a bit simplistic.
From what I got, seems like the best free options would be either the Raw File Converter available on the Fuji website or Capture One Express Fujifilm. Or, regarding the latter, it'd be worth to get the Pro Fujifilm 12 (right now it comes at 124€ on 50% sale)?

Oct 25, 2017
I'll follow up with another Fuji related question, since I recently purchased an XT3. What is the suggested photo editing software for an amateur? From the experience I had with my old Nikon and Camera Raw, I don't really like to spend that much time overediting my photos (film simulations are a big factor why I moved to Fuji) so I think I'll be ok even with something a bit simplistic.
From what I got, seems like the best free options would be either the Raw File Converter available on the Fuji website or Capture One Express Fujifilm. Or, regarding the latter, it'd be worth to get the Pro Fujifilm 12 (right now it comes at 124€ on 50% sale)?
I just use Lightroom but you're going to get multiple answers on this one.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

Capture one

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on Sony a6400 vs. Fujifilm X-T30 for someone getting into photography?

E. Never mind, the A6000 seems to be a better, and much cheaper entry point for a beginner.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Looking to dip my toes into DSLR territory for the first time. A friend has offered to sell me his excellent condition D3300 with kit lens for around £200. Under 6000 actuations. I could talk him down a little. I'd be transitioning from an RX100 mk2. Worth it, or should I hold fire and buy new at the end of the year?

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on Sony a6400 vs. Fujifilm X-T30 for someone getting into photography?

E. Never mind, the A6000 seems to be a better, and much cheaper entry point for a beginner.

There are a million comparisons between the A6400 and XT-30 out there since there isn't much else super competitive at that price point.

Personally I love the Fuji cameras and can't stand the A6400 but my that's entirely around my need for tactile controls. The A6400 definitely has the best AF around for an aps-c camera but then the AF in the more recent Fuji cameras seems darn good as well. I've held both but I'm still waiting on the right price for a used Fuji to actually own one.

Honestly I would buy a used camera in a system you want to get into and buy lenses as you figure out where your interests lie. Then upgrade your body when you get to the point where the first body is limiting you.

Looking to dip my toes into DSLR territory for the first time. A friend has offered to sell me his excellent condition D3300 with kit lens for around £200. Under 6000 actuations. I could talk him down a little. I'd be transitioning from an RX100 mk2. Worth it, or should I hold fire and buy new at the end of the year?

Do you want to get into the Nikon lens system? Are you primarily interested in DSLR over mirrorless or do you not care?

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the D3300 specs it seems dated in a way that I personally would find limiting. I'd save up a bit more cash and buy something maybe 1-2 years old.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
In particular it was this line from a review that stuck out for the D3300:

"Can't change aperture while live view is engaged"

Miss me with that. I really recommend you get a camera when starting out that makes it easy to learn how to manipulate aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and all the other little things to find creative photography that satisfies you.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
I recently bought an X-T2 with the kit lens, I'm loving it but I am looking into getting a wider lens. I was thinking about picking up the Rokinon 12mm lens some time in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
In particular it was this line from a review that stuck out for the D3300:

"Can't change aperture while live view is engaged"

Miss me with that. I really recommend you get a camera when starting out that makes it easy to learn how to manipulate aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and all the other little things to find creative photography that satisfies you.
I never recommend the D3xxx or D5xxx cameras, they are really just not my cup of tea. I used to want one when I was chasing the cheapest thing imaginable when I first started out, but now? No.
What are you looking to photograph?

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
I never recommend the D3xxx or D5xxx cameras, they are really just not my cup of tea. I used to want one when I was chasing the cheapest thing imaginable when I first started out, but now? No.

What are you looking to photograph?

My kids, mostly. The dog when he's being goofy. Family events.

I had a Sony NEX years back when the kids were just babies that I really liked but my nephew got hold of it and smashed it so I switched back to compact and went for the RX100.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
1. What's your budget? Up to 2500 inc generaal purpose lens
2. What size/form factor do you prefer? No preference
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? Architecture, still life, landscape
4. What level of photography experience do you have? Beginner
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? Yes

Im very tempted to buy a Sony a7r ii, which is overkill for a beginner, I know. The body is 1400,-€ which seems like a great price, and I have a little money to spend right now. I like to buy something to last me a long time, but I think I need you guys to talk me out of it I guess heh.

Oct 25, 2017
1. What's your budget? Up to 2500 inc generaal purpose lens
2. What size/form factor do you prefer? No preference
3. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting? Architecture, still life, landscape
4. What level of photography experience do you have? Beginner
5. Do you plan on upgrading in the future with lenses and accessories? Yes

Im very tempted to buy a Sony a7r ii, which is overkill for a beginner, I know. The body is 1400,-€ which seems like a great price, and I have a little money to spend right now. I like to buy something to last me a long time, but I think I need you guys to talk me out of it I guess heh.
A7RII with the 24-105 and you're done unless you need something wider for landscape.
AR203951 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR207885 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR204536 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
AR200547 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Warning you now the Sony Raws come in a bit color neutral so either learn your editing or just get used to it.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Oct 26, 2017

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
The leaked EOS M6 mkII looks like my jam in all respects other than lack of an EVF and I'm not spending $250aud on the external.

Anyone go with an evf-less camera and have strong opinions either way?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
23mm F2 without question. It's the only lens I've used all these months, till I got the 16mm F1.4. It's the classic all day 35mm lens you want. Small, great quality optics, cheap, weather resistant, fast AF, as well as pretty fast, unless you need the 1.4.

CaptureOne express, it's free, the latest version automatically assigns the Fuji film simulations to your raw file, and then you can tweak it to your liking.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The leaked EOS M6 mkII looks like my jam in all respects other than lack of an EVF and I'm not spending $250aud on the external.

Anyone go with an evf-less camera and have strong opinions either way?
I have a Ricoh GR III and the size and 28mm focal length make it so I don't really need an EVF (though a little OVF would be nice...).

However, I would NOT go EVF-less on a MILC lol.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just bought two mist filters (black/white) from Hoya. For some reason I can't find a single review for any them, they must really suck but they were like 70% off on their site so I took the risk anyway.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like that M6 moves past 30 megapixels on the APS-C sensor size. Will be interesting to see what kind of diminishing returns (or not) there are at that point. It felt like APS-C sensors had paused around the 24-26 level for a while.

23mm F2 without question. It's the only lens I've used all these months, till I got the 16mm F1.4. It's the classic all day 35mm lens you want. Small, great quality optics, cheap, weather resistant, fast AF, as well as pretty fast, unless you need the 1.4.

Thanks. I've been considering the X-E3 and 23mm in fact as a second body... it's on sale right now so I might just buy it new seeing as how it seems like getting a decent one at a significant discount with lens is going to be a PITA.

Still pondering whether to pull the trigger.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought two mist filters (black/white) from Hoya. For some reason I can't find a single review for any them, they must really suck but they were like 70% off on their site so I took the risk anyway.

Are these things primarily for video? It seems like something that could just be achieved when developing the RAW afterwards, but I guess that's true of a lot of filters. I really only use ND filters these days and even that rarely.