• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah Fn button everything that you find important. I did that and I only really have to hit the menu to format my memory card at this point. It'll take a bit to figure out how you want it best, but I think I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with my settings. Since I'm sure you have an A7III you don't have to even worry about figuring out a comfortable way for AF point selection like I did.

I usually kind of have a decent idea at this point, unless I'm going to experiment a little, which usually looks weird for a bit until I settle on a style that's not bombastic and annoying color wise.

I went with the A7RII, I don't care too much for AF select I am too used to focus and recompose and never changed that on my Fuji either, just have to get used to the AF modes in the Sony now since in the fuji 99% of my shots were center focus only, but for the eye focus looks like wide or zone is better

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went with the A7RII, I don't care too much for AF select I am too used to focus and recompose and never changed that on my Fuji either, just have to get used to the AF modes in the Sony now since in the fuji 99% of my shots were center focus only, but for the eye focus looks like wide or zone is better
All the pics I posted yesterday were in Zone mode just FYI. I like it a lot, especially for birding.

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh, interesting. As a landscape shooter that's a smart choice then. What glass are you using with it? I'm assuming the 24-105? I'm usually either in expanded focus or flexible spot M or S.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
So I finally got film for this camera. I know you peel it apart based on the temperature but will peeling it apart faster make the exposure lighter?

xNuIcaQ.jpg

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Alright, two new cameras purchased.

I appreciate all the insight and opinions here. They helped make a hard decision harder, lol. I also spent quite a bit of time reading and watching reviews, articles and opinions. I considered a range of cameras. Older models, newer models, a wide array of brands, hanging on to my old D600. If I were a Professional Photographer no doubt my choices would have been different. But since I'm just an enthusiast and on a budget (that I only busted a little) I made my decision to get:

Camera 1 - Sony a7iii. This is my wife's camera. This is the one she wanted. The one that felt best for her to hold. She went without the kit lens and will pick up the 24-105 as soon as her tax return comes in. This is a massive upgrade for her and she couldn't be more excited.

Camera 2 - Nikon z6. This is my camera. Being a Nikon did factor in as that's what I've used for a long time. The lack of lenses right now doesn't bother me. They'll show up eventually and maybe by then I'll have some money to afford them. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

As much as I would have liked to share lenses I had a difficult time buying two of the same cameras. I wanted two different experiences more and that's why I went the route I did. As far as extra lenses go for each camera, those will have to wait. The rental suggestion was a great one. We plan to rent several for our Sequoia/King's Canyon trip in June.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. If I ever get over being intimidated by the great photos you all post, maybe I'll post some of my own.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, two new cameras purchased.

I appreciate all the insight and opinions here. They helped make a hard decision harder, lol. I also spent quite a bit of time reading and watching reviews, articles and opinions. I considered a range of cameras. Older models, newer models, a wide array of brands, hanging on to my old D600. If I were a Professional Photographer no doubt my choices would have been different. But since I'm just an enthusiast and on a budget (that I only busted a little) I made my decision to get:

Camera 1 - Sony a7iii. This is my wife's camera. This is the one she wanted. The one that felt best for her to hold. She went without the kit lens and will pick up the 24-105 as soon as her tax return comes in. This is a massive upgrade for her and she couldn't be more excited.

Camera 2 - Nikon z6. This is my camera. Being a Nikon did factor in as that's what I've used for a long time. The lack of lenses right now doesn't bother me. They'll show up eventually and maybe by then I'll have some money to afford them. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

As much as I would have liked to share lenses I had a difficult time buying two of the same cameras. I wanted two different experiences more and that's why I went the route I did. As far as extra lenses go for each camera, those will have to wait. The rental suggestion was a great one. We plan to rent several for our Sequoia/King's Canyon trip in June.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. If I ever get over being intimidated by the great photos you all post, maybe I'll post some of my own.
I stayed away from the Z cameras for AF reasons, you in theory could have gotten a better camera in getting a Sony A7R2 for even less than the A7III, but the Z6 isn't that bad. What Nikon glass do you have?

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I stayed away from the Z cameras for AF reasons, you in theory could have gotten a better camera in getting a Sony A7R2 for even less than the A7III, but the Z6 isn't that bad. What Nikon glass do you have?

Just the Kit lens. But I also got the adapter (It was on sale) so I could rent a variety if I wanted to. I read about the AF reasons. They won't be an issue for me and if I'm ever in a situation I need the better auto focus I can just borrow the A7iii from my wife.

As for the A7r2 it was tempting but I didn't want to buy two Sony's. I wanted the A7iii and something else so the Z6 was an easy choice.

Oct 25, 2017
Just the Kit lens. But I also got the adapter (It was on sale) so I could rent a variety if I wanted to. I read about the AF reasons. They won't be an issue for me and if I'm ever in a situation I need the better auto focus I can just borrow the A7iii from my wife.

As for the A7r2 it was tempting but I didn't want to buy two Sony's. I wanted the A7iii and something else so the Z6 was an easy choice.
This just makes it look like i over reacted when I bailed on Nikon and bought an A7R2 and I actually have a Nikon ecosystem, I just didn't care for what felt like an over priced half measure. The Z6 is fine, just nothing I'd pay the current MSRP for.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
This just makes it look like i over reacted when I bailed on Nikon and bought an A7R2 and I actually have a Nikon ecosystem, I just didn't care for what felt like an over priced half measure. The Z6 is fine, just nothing I'd pay the current MSRP for.
You're a professional and you made the correct decision for you. I probably would have done the same if I was in your situation. For us we just play around. Our needs are less and different. And honestly these are more camera than we'll ever need or use but it's nice to own great cameras and both the Sony and Nikon appear to be very highly regarded.

I did consider the A7riii for a long time but it is way more camera than I need. Was very tempting but again I didn't want two of the same brand. The Fuji XT3 was also strongly considered. If I was going to be the primary user of both cameras I probably would have gone the A7riii, Fuji XT3 route (I wanted the latest version cameras. We'll have these for long time.) But this way our cameras are on very equal footing. No one will feel like they're going to be using the inferior product and I can use either camera if one isn't suited to the task at hand.

Super happy she made the logical decision. She'll love it.

Then she saw the photos of that 100-400 you've been playing around with. Time to sell a kidney.

Oct 25, 2017
You're a professional and you made the correct decision for you. I probably would have done the same if I was in your situation. For us we just play around. Our needs are less and different. And honestly these are more camera than we'll ever need or use but it's nice to own great cameras and both the Sony and Nikon appear to be very highly regarded.

I did consider the A7riii for a long time but it is way more camera than I need. Was very tempting but again I didn't want two of the same brand. The Fuji XT3 was also strongly considered. If I was going to be the primary user of both cameras I probably would have gone the A7riii, Fuji XT3 route (I wanted the latest version cameras. We'll have these for long time.) But this way our cameras are on very equal footing. No one will feel like they're going to be using the inferior product and I can use either camera if one isn't suited to the task at hand.

Then she saw the photos of that 100-400 you've been playing around with. Time to sell a kidney.
Don't let her see any of the portraits I have with the 70-200 then. Don't worry about it, these days it's almost hard to get a bad camera, just stay away from Canon's. I actually do feel like I made a good choice, it was a choice I didn't even think I would like, but I love it so it pretty much just showed me that a good photographer can get a good image out of more or less any camera.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Hi yall, been looking for a tripod for my sony a7ii. Does anyone got any recommendations? Preferably something not over $100.

Oct 27, 2017
Hi yall, been looking for a tripod for my sony a7ii. Does anyone got any recommendations? Preferably something not over $100.
I'd recommend saving up some more and getting something like the Sirui N-3004X with a K-30x ball head.
If the budget is firm, I'd get something like this Vanguard VEO 265AB. It may not be all that long lasting or high quality, but should serve you fine.
A good rule of thumb for assessing the weight capacity of the tripod and the head is dividing the manufacturer reported capacity by three. As you got closer to the manufacturer reported weight capapcity, your tripod is likely to be less stable in adverse conditions.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Tripod is not something you want to cheap out on. Just be sane, buy something good and never buy it again.

Ahh I see, do you have any recommendations on a good one?

I'd recommend saving up some more and getting something like the Sirui N-3004X with a K-30x ball head.
If the budget is firm, I'd get something like this Vanguard VEO 265AB. It may not be all that long lasting or high quality, but should serve you fine.
A good rule of thumb for assessing the weight capacity of the tripod and the head is dividing the manufacturer reported capacity by three. As you got closer to the manufacturer reported weight capapcity, your tripod is likely to be less stable in adverse conditions.

Ok cool, thanks I'll check it out. If you have any recommendations for a solid one, I'll go check it out and save up for it.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I took a very extensive Lightroom survey for Adobe and thought you guys might be interested in seeing the "future feature list" they are testing responses to. They are clearly gearing up for computational AI editing.

WTkAm0l.png

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
What we actually need is Lightroom Battle Royale: 100 people edit the same picture at the same time while Instagram filters get randomly applied, you fall off if you can't fix it before it gets uploaded to your linked Instagram feed.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017

Damn, is that really it? I want to pick up that used one but B&H is closed until Friday and I need it asap for a gig lol.

I've spent all day looking through Amazon for one and it seems like every 126S listing is actually just a 126... thankfully the reviewers are quick to say that the camera says it's a 126 lol.

Are no one really making 3rd party versions of the battery? Seems crazy that Watson or Wasabi hasn't jumped in and tried to make one, isn't this battery like a year old already?

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, is that really it? I want to pick up that used one but B&H is closed until Friday and I need it asap for a gig lol.

I've spent all day looking through Amazon for one and it seems like every 126S listing is actually just a 126... thankfully the reviewers are quick to say that the camera says it's a 126 lol.

Are no one really making 3rd party versions of the battery? Seems crazy that Watson or Wasabi hasn't jumped in and tried to make one, isn't this battery like a year old already?
Isn't the 126 and 126S basically the same battery, and therefore a wasabi 126 will work just fine?

I would never use a third-party battery by the way, just asking the question.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the 126 and 126S basically the same battery, and therefore a wasabi 126 will work just fine?

They're not the same. From what I've heard the non S batteries manage heat differently and probably expand if you charge them in the battery grip.

I don't put third party batteries in my camera anymore. I have one Watson battery, the rest are OEM's. Must be some Jewish holiday going on. Check a Texas based retailer or pay full price, best I could tell you. It's the same battery in the X-T2 there are third party options, but it's not something I would use too often since my X-T2 used to go bat shit with a third party battery and not fast enough memory card combo.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, they're not the same. From everything I've read so far, the camera will throw an error saying it's not a 126S but it still should be usable. The question is, do you really want to risk it considering the S version does manage heat better.

I don't put third party batteries in my camera anymore. I have one Watson battery, the rest are OEM's. Must be some Jewish holiday going on. Check a Texas based retailer or pay full price, best I could tell you. It's the same battery in the X-T2 there are third party options, but it's not something I would use too often since my X-T2 used to go bat shit with a third party battery and not fast enough memory card combo.

Yep, it's a Jewish holiday: "Our NYC SuperStore and offices will close for the Purim holiday at 5pm ET Wed Mar 20. We will reopen at 9am ET Fri Mar 22. "

I'm so used to having 3rd party batteries easily available I didn't even consider asking Adorama to throw in an extra battery. I had like 6 NP-FW50's from various brands like RavPower and Wasabi at one point and only the Wasabi's showed some signs of expanding, I chucked them in the trash immediately the moment I noticed that lol.

Anyway, I guess I'll take a look around and see who has it for a cheaper price. Otherwise, I'll just pick it up on Amazon before my gig.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Canon 85mm 1.8 a good lens? I want a portrait lens I can use on my rebel film camera

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the Canon 85mm 1.8 a good lens? I want a portrait lens I can use on my rebel film camera
Decent AF, pretty sharp, great bokeh, but terrible CA at 1.8-2.0, which kills it for me. Not sure if the CA would be as bad on a film cam though, but it's basically unusable in bright light at 1.8 on a DSLR. In low light, it becomes very usable.

Here's a shot I took with it other day on my Sony.

Edric Portrait by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Menelaus That's pretty good. I don't think I would be shooting wide open all that much unless it's at night

I only have the old nifty fifty right now

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Xperia 1 phone is getting Sony Alpha tech like EyeAF and LUTs. Neat!

Why does this ad sound like they did a dub step cover of an 80's anime song? Nice tech and such, just not interested in phone cameras.
Eye AF isn't that important in a phone because of the huge DoF, but it's really neat anyway.
Phones have god awful bokeh. People can be pleased with digital bokeh, but it's not the same.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTNXQJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At a time I had two batteries charged during travelling and I had no issues. Though these batteries are still not the same quality as the Fuji one, they don't last as long. But dirt cheap including a great charger.