• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canon lenses are sublime. But to your original question, if you're familiar with Nikon, why not Nikon mirrorless. The shape would be more familiar to you. I'm assuming you can adapt those lenses as well.
Yeah for the most part the Nikon stuff can be adapted, just depends on how well the Sigma and Tamron stuff gets adapted. The Z cameras got a really good update from what I've heard so they're viable now.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
2ZbgHBQ.png

If this is under $1300, it'll be the first lens I pre-order. Can't wait for this to finally release. The AF speed and early tests have all been stellar.

We know you don't care about it, Jaded P, we know =P

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Went to the only Leica store in my country with the intention of selling off my M10 and maybe test out the Q2.

Came back with a receipt for an M10 Monochrom.

I'm a weak man.
Congrats BTW, the tonality out of that thing seems amazing. I'd honestly use the shit out of it if I bought one, w/out worrying about it. I want a Leica to be bruised and battered.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Congrats BTW, the tonality out of that thing seems amazing. I'd honestly use the shit out of it if I bought one, w/out worrying about it. I want a Leica to be bruised and battered.

Yeah, I usually treat them like shit but they jacked up the prices of newer bodies so much it's hard not to flinch every time I ding or scratch one. Because of our weak currency and import taxes they cost more than new cars now lol

I'm still planning on getting a used 50r. That will probably be my new beater.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a camera as a hobbyist. I've read that the Nikon D3500 is good for beginners and is at a good price point for me. Would you recommend this for someone who is a complete beginner? I've never taken pics outside of using my cell phone. I plan on shooting mostly outdoors if that matters.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about getting a camera as a hobbyist. I've read that the Nikon D3500 is good for beginners and is at a good price point for me. Would you recommend this for someone who is a complete beginner? I've never taken pics outside of using my cell phone. I plan on shooting mostly outdoors if that matters.
If you want a DSLR...I don't like the 3xxx series. My default's basically just get a used X-T2.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone,

DSLRs are cool and you should buy one. :)

In all seriousness... as a hobbyist you should be concentrating on buying a camera that you will love to use and that you will be able to bring everywhere you go. Absolutely any interchangeable lens camera you buy new today will provide more than enough "image quality", which is mainly a function of the lens anyhow.

I would try to get hands on time with both a DSLR and a mirrorless camera and see which one you prefer. As a hobbyist I'd also recommend looking into a system with a plethora of lenses you can find cheaply used, which would be one of the more mature systems. Buy something that fits into your lifestyle and excites you.

What kind of photography interests you? What makes you want a "real" camera? Questions like this will determine where you end up.

Try going to Dpreview's buying guides, selecting your budget, and then perusing the options. Chances are you will find something that speaks to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Any particular reason you don't like that series?
Too small, too limited, DX, Nikon's DX lens line up, one command dial, 98% viewfinder, small grip, limited AF points, poor button placement, just no. I could probably find more things I don't like about it.
Nikon D600
Get that and this
Used Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S VR
And that should be a very good starter point.
Why anyone in 2020 would be looking at a DSLR for intro photography is beyond me.

Buy my XT2 so I can get an XT4.
DSLR's are still good, I just would not try to buy some rinky dink consumer model as my first camera, they're shit.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I just downloaded Lightroom on a whim, has it really not changed at all in years? It looks identical to when I last used it like seven years ago.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy DxO Photolab so I'm trying other stuff... I really like the images I'm getting out of Photolab but it's missing a lot of features, like AFAICT there's no graduated filter tool?

EDIT: Nevermind, DxO has a grad filter tool. It's just in a weird ass place.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I rented the Sigma version over the weekend and that gets a big LOL. That thing is thick, fat, and heavy lol. Loved the images, but definitely saving for the Nikon version. Autofocus in low light was also poor with the Sigma.
Yeah I wanted nothing to do with the Sigma. I almost got the Sigma 135 1.8, but I opted not to and got the Nikon 105 1.4 instead. The lens isn't a speed demon, but it seems more than good enough on my D4. The Nikon version is fat, but I don't think it's anywhere near as big as the Sigma. Supposedly not as sharp, but sharpness isn't everything.

D04_4077 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
D04_3957 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
D04_3929 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Could be had for about $1400 used from Adorama, when I found out what the used price currently is I had to hop on it.
Damn dude, yes yes.

I'm thinking of getting of rid off my D750 and Fuji XT-30, and possibly upgrading to mirrorless, but still keeping all my F mount lenses. I don't know yet, I'm going to give the D780 a try pretty soonish.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn dude, yes yes.

I'm thinking of getting of rid off my D750 and Fuji XT-30, and possibly upgrading to mirrorless, but still keeping all my F mount lenses. I don't know yet, I'm going to give the D780 a try pretty soonish.
If you do that just go straight native. I'm not sure how well third party lenses adapt. Some say they don't notice a difference, but you never know. I kept my DSLR's because I oddly still love those damn cameras.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I'm seriously thinking of adapting the Canon 300mm to Fuji. This is more for birds and wildlife. Everything else Fuji native has covered.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Considering getting an upgrade to a Canon 90D. Anyone got any experience/opinions on them? I was tempted to try and get something like the 6D mk2 cheap second hand but I only have EF-S lenses and can't really afford to swap out everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering getting an upgrade to a Canon 90D. Anyone got any experience/opinions on them? I was tempted to try and get something like the 6D mk2 cheap second hand but I only have EF-S lenses and can't really afford to swap out everything.
What are you using and what do you find lacking in your current body? I'm at the point where I honestly think it's better to upgrade glass than it is bodies unless the body is weak AF wise.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What are you using and what do you find lacking in your current body? I'm at the point where I honestly think it's better to upgrade glass than it is bodies unless the body is weak AF wise.

I currently have the Canon EOS 700D. I've got to admit, at least part of it is just wanting to double down on taking photos more and wanting something better to do it with but the 700D does feel sufficiently old now that I'd like an upgrade.

Always open to comments telling me I'm talking out of my arse though if that is infact the case lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I currently have the Canon EOS 700D. I've got to admit, at least part of it is just wanting to double down on taking photos more and wanting something better to do it with but the 700D does feel sufficiently old now that I'd like an upgrade.

Always open to comments telling me I'm talking out of my arse though if that is infact the case lol.
What are the specs on it and what lenses do you have?

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the comparison between the 700D and 90D:

I'll have to wait until I get home from work to look at the lenses (it's been a while since I last used them and paid attention to which they were). I know one is the standard 18-55 kit lens.
God I hate Rebel's, you honestly should've never gotten one to begin with, but that's me, a camera snob.
95% viewfinder?
tenor.gif

I'd already suggest just trading in the kit lens, I have never liked those. The 90D is a good camera, if you want to save money see if you could find it used or just get a used 80D or at least compare the two. You probably got some sort of two lens kit with that Rebel it's probably a telephoto kit lens that you also have or their plastic fantastic.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
God I hate Rebel's, you honestly should've never gotten one to begin with, but that's me, a camera snob.
95% viewfinder?
tenor.gif

I'd already suggest just trading in the kit lens, I have never liked those. The 90D is a good camera, if you want to save money see if you could find it used or just get a used 80D or at least compare the two. You probably got some sort of two lens kit with that Rebel it's probably a telephoto kit lens that you also have or their plastic fantastic.

Managed to find the other lens in my Amazon history. Apparently I did buy it seperately.

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to find the other lens in my Amazon history. Apparently I did buy it seperately.

I was just googling this assuming you got another one of their low end glass options. Look into Canon's Refurb shop, see what your best option is in there and then just dump the rest into glass.
I couldn't find Canon's UK refurb store, might not have one, but MPB should be good enough.
Used 80D's
Used Canon 17-55 2.8
Used Sigma 50-100 1.8 Art
These are really good starting points.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was just googling this assuming you got another one of their low end glass options. Look into Canon's Refurb shop, see what your best option is in there and then just dump the rest into glass.
I couldn't find Canon's UK refurb store, might not have one, but MPB should be good enough.
Used 80D's
Used Canon 17-55 2.8
Used Sigma 50-100 1.8 Art
These are really good starting points.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I've got some time anyway to figure out what to get. My plan was to go back to using my current camera more, try and get out and take a load of photos to kind of regain that spark and then upgrade if I feel it's worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll take a look. I've got some time anyway to figure out what to get. My plan was to go back to using my current camera more, try and get out and take a load of photos to kind of regain that spark and then upgrade if I feel it's worth it.
Yeah use what you have, see if you still even like it and then go from there. That's the whole process that basically made me realize I still like using my DSLR's after using mirrorless for almost a year straight. I almost sold two really good cameras.

Oct 26, 2017
My rear dial on my Sony A7II stopped working. I've tried cleaning, air blasting, etc and no luck. Effectively, I can't set my shutter speed anymore in Manual mode. Anyone own any from this line who could advise if there is any other way to set shutter speed? I am googling all over, but nothing. I want to be sure I am not missing some secret method before I rip this camera apart.

Oct 25, 2017
My rear dial on my Sony A7II stopped working. I've tried cleaning, air blasting, etc and no luck. Effectively, I can't set my shutter speed anymore in Manual mode. Anyone own any from this line who could advise if there is any other way to set shutter speed? I am googling all over, but nothing. I want to be sure I am not missing some secret method before I rip this camera apart.
You should have a front dial, the rear wheel, and a rear dial all available... Take your ISO dial and switch it to Shutter speed.
I think you can do that on the II anyway...

Oct 26, 2017
You should have a front dial, the rear wheel, and a rear dial all available... Take your ISO dial and switch it to Shutter speed.
I think you can do that on the II anyway...
Yes. Thank you. Thankfully, I found a way to change where the shutter speed is controlled. It's a slight pain that I have to swap front dial / rear dial controls (fstop and shutter speed) so I can change my shutter speed, then swap it back. But hey...it's better then having to sell my camera because I can't change shutter speed.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Thank you. Thankfully, I found a way to change where the shutter speed is controlled. It's a slight pain that I have to swap front dial / rear dial controls (fstop and shutter speed) so I can change my shutter speed, then swap it back. But hey...it's better then having to sell my camera because I can't change shutter speed.
I'm one of those people that thinks when stuff like that starts to crop up it's time to either send it to the repair shop or replace it. If your rear command dial isn't working then something in your camera isn't working right. Don't sell it. As a used camera buyer I'd hate the person that sold me a camera like that.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm one of those people that thinks when stuff like that starts to crop up it's time to either send it to the repair shop or replace it. If your rear command dial isn't working then something in your camera isn't working right. Don't sell it. As a used camera buyer I'd hate the person that sold me a camera like that.
I would definitely warn someone ahead of time in my Ebay listing---I'm not a complete jerk!

This is a camera I bought broken last year that I was able to fix after two teardowns. So, I have a strong feeling I didn't connect something proper on the dial and didn't notice until now. So, I am debating on selling as-is, or....do I have the energy to do another 3-5 hour teardown and rebuild. Just thinking about it wears me out.

Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely warn someone ahead of time in my Ebay listing---I'm not a complete jerk!

This is a camera I bought broken last year that I was able to fix after two teardowns. So, I have a strong feeling I didn't connect something proper on the dial and didn't notice until now. So, I am debating on selling as-is, or....do I have the energy to do another 3-5 hour teardown and rebuild. Just thinking about it wears me out.
Yeah "As-is" is definitely something I see and read the finer details regarding (and don't buy). I'm assuming sending it to the repair shop just eradicates whatever bargain you got it at?

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah "As-is" is definitely something I see and read the finer details regarding (and don't buy). I'm assuming sending it to the repair shop just eradicates whatever bargain you got it at?
I've honestly not looked at a repair shop. My initial thought was they would get inside the camera and go, "what the hell did this guy do in here..." Have you used one before, and if so, do you use official Sony/Nikon/etc ones, I take it? Or are there manufacturer-certified ones?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've honestly not looked at a repair shop. My initial thought was they would get inside the camera and go, "what the hell did this guy go in here..." Have you used one before, and if so, do you use official Sony/Nikon/etc ones, I take it? Or are there manufacturer-certified ones?
Yeah there are manufacturer certified ones. I had to send some stuff to Phototech (they deal with Sony and Fuji) and even Fuji themselves (they take fucking forever). I'm mostly satisfied with my repairs except for my Sony vertical grip, the AF stick came off, they repaired it and it's never been the same since, really need to buy a cheap one.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Highlights
  • 64MP 30 x 45mm CMOS Sensor
  • Maestro II Image Processor
  • DCI 4K and Full HD Video; 4:2:2 Color
  • ISO 100-50000, Up to 3 fps Shooting
  • Optical Pentaprism Viewfinder, 0.87x-Mag
  • 3.0" 921.6k-Dot LCD Monitor
  • Dual Shutter System Support
  • Built-In Wi-Fi and GPS
  • Weather-Sealed Magnesium Alloy Body

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is pretty cool for Fuji users - autofocus on manual focus lenses:

cant imagine it to be fast but pretty damn interesting if you have a ton of vintage lenses.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered a X100V today, there was a price error for a few hours this morning so I got it for chf 1221 which is $1221. Didn't plan to buy one, but at that price I couldn't resist

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm now debating whether to go with the Canon 90D I was looking at previously or switching to mirrorless and maybe getting the Sony A6400. Realising that the couple of Canon lenses I already own aren't exactly worth clinging to helped me start looking past just Canon lenses. My only really worry I guess is as far as I can see it'll cost me more to pick up a couple of nicer Sony lenses.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
No man, if you're going APSC do not buy anything else aside from Fuji. That's just stupid I'm sorry. If you buy full frame buy Sony. But this stupid practice of buying APSC cameras to pair with full frame lenses has to stop, it's ridiculous.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
No man, if you're going APSC do not buy anything else aside from Fuji. That's just stupid I'm sorry. If you buy full frame buy Sony. But this stupid practice of buying APSC cameras to pair with full frame lenses has to stop, it's ridiculous.

This would perhaps be more helpful if you explained why instead of just calling things stupid.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yes, best APSC cameras and lenses. XT3, fantastic controls, image quality, tracking speed, AF speed. Lenses made for the system that are as fast as 1.2. Primes: 16 1.4, 23 1.4, 35 1.4, 56 1.2, 16-55 2.8 and 50-140 2.8 and same primes at f2, all native. No other company has that. Why'd you buy a Sony APSC to pair it with a moderate 2.8 prime or a shitty zoom? Or if planning on buying Sony FF lenses, why buy a Axxxx APSC body?

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Because I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about which is why I posted about it in the Cam thread. Hopefully others will come along to reply to me that are less angry than you and more helpful.