• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As French, I do not agree with that anology at all, it's apples and oranges ! France was an occupied country and the new government of Vichy were nazi sympathizers. The Allies recognies De Gaulle as the legitimate head of government because he represented the real and free France. This situation had nothing to do with Venezuela, that's a very poor analogy.
Maduro took control of the country in a coup. The legitimate government has been overthrown. That's why the analogy works.
I'm not supporting Maduro here. I think I've been pretty clear about it. But I won't support the hypocrisy of some foreign powers who support dictatorships and/or governments with terrible human rights records on one hand, and request democracy in other countries on the other one ! I don't want the US to be part of this peace process ( if we can call it that way ). Their despicable track record in the region disqualify de facto as mediator. A role Europe and Canada could have played, but they have followed - unfortunately - the US path. That's a mistake in my humble opinion.

If there is an analogy to be made here, it's Syria. I'm afraid this power move from the US will push each side in Venezuela into a corner : Maduro will feel this is a coup and Russia and China feel the same way ; and Gaido will feel he is in his rights to get the power as he is backed by US, Canada and Europe. This is recipe for disaster. Very concerned with what could happen next...
Russia is backing Maduro. They just sent a bunch of mercs into the country. It's not "hypocrisy" to back one side or the other- it's what most nations are going to be doing because "being right in the neutral middle" is not going to be a position you can take- you will be asked to freeze assets. If you do it, you're supporting the opposition. If you don't, you're supporting Maduro. There is no avoiding the question, you must make the choice. And so nations are choosing.

Maduro has already taken power with a coup. Which is obviously why he's afraid of the military turning on him! And if he were just a bengin annoying dictator people would look the other way. But he's not. Millions of refugees have spilled over the border of the country. Millions more could potentially follow. His neighbors want this problem solved.

And yes, this could escalate into a fullscale civil war. But that's not on the opposition figures, that's on the man who seized control of the country using force and destroyed democratic institutions. It's like saying Leia is the actual problem, not the Emperor.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
And you seem to have not read my post either. Again, I don't want any US interferences in this process. Maybe you're not familiar with the various actions of several US administrations in region.

And I don't like the Double Standards, that's all. My country France for example can call for free elections in Venezuela one day, but not say a thing about Saudi Arabia because weapons deals in the making. We had no issue selling a high tech ship the Mistral to Egypt despite their strocious human rights and democratic record.

So I'm not supporting Maduro here. But I won't support Gaido either. There are ways to push for new elections with mediations that are more neutral than the US... Recognizing Gaido is just throwing oil on fire and will only complicate things.
I have and I am somewhat familiar with US interference around the globe (I won't claim to be an expert). However, you clearly do not understand why Guaido isn't merely a self proclaimed president and why it's a legitimate claim.

He actually was though. In 2015 he was elected to Venezuela's National Assembly, and all deputies there have a 5 year term. The same National Assembly voted him to be President of the National Assembly from January 5th 2019 through January 4th 2020, and per the Venezuelan Constitution (article 233) the President of the National Assembly becomes the interim-President if there is no President, which there arguably isn't due the the elections in which Maduro was elected being a bunch of shit. His and the National Assembly's claim that he's the interim-President falls perfectly in line with Venezuela's constitution.

Last edited:

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's not on the opposition figures, that's on the man who seized control of the country using force and destroyed democratic institutions. It's like saying Leia is the actual problem, not the Emperor.

Once again revealing your lack of lore knowledge. Sheev was acclaimed Emperor by the Senate, which was legitimately elected in accordance with the local customs of each member system. Leia's "Alliance to Restore the Republic" was in league with known Separatists like Cassian Andor and terrorists like Saw Gerrera, not to mention traitors such as Mon Mothma.

Next thing you'll tell me that Stalin wasn't genuinely repeatedly elected as General Secretary by the representatives sent by the soviets!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
360x-1.png

Good photo (needs to be updated with the EU countries ultimatum)

Showing that the US is not alone. Look at all those Far Right Nations supporting Guaido

Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and specially Brazil are Right to Far Right Nations. Are you being sarcastic? If not, what are you talking about? The rest of the countries of "global leaders" are just part of the US influence sphere, which is also the usual allies. Supporting Maduro is the Russian sphere of influence. Calling for dialogue are probably the only sane countries left.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
However, you clearly do not understand why Guaido isn't merely a self proclaimed president and why it's a legitimate claim.

(it isn't)

the article in their constitution that keeps getting tossed around has been intentionally misread by guaido, it is a) it is only relevant if maduro "abandons his duties" and b) power would be asserted by the vice president which last time i checked, guaido is not

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
(it isn't)

the article in their constitution that keeps getting tossed around has been intentionally misread by guaido, it is a) it is only relevant if maduro "abandons his duties" and b) power would be asserted by the vice president which last time i checked, guaido is not

Given the activities he's been up to by making himself the country's dictator I'd think this would be a charge with merit.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
(it isn't)

It says that the lack of a president can by due to many factors, like the National Assembly decreeing abandonment of his duties. Another article states he must guarantee the rights and freedom of his people, for example, and he must uphold the Constitution, which he most certainly did not. The popular revoke of his mandate is also in article 233 as a cause for declaring a lack of a president.

It also says the Supreme Tribunal of Justice can destitute the president and it can also appoint a medical team to assess his physical and mental capacity (or lack thereof). I think a guy that talks to birds and says he traveled to the future and back seems pretty mentally unstable. None of these can happen because he filled the tribunal with his cronies. In fact, the exiled supreme supreme tribunal of justice, appointed by the actually elected by the people National Assembly, sentenced Maduro to 18 years of prison, during which, he could obviously not hold political positions. Of course, the Supreme Tribunal of Justice in power, created by the Maduro regime, does not recognize this.

If there's no President until January 10th (the date when the president takes office), the president of the National Assembly takes over, not the vice president. Ergo, if the elections were a sham (which about 50 countries agreed upon iirc) and Maduro routinely breaks the Constitution, there was no legitimate President until that date, so Guaido has a legitimate claim.

Edit: Edited for grammar and a few more details.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

This is in Canada. Regina, Saskatchewan. City Hall. Photo on the right are those opposed to Canada supporting Guaido. Photo on the left are those supporting Guaido.

White people opposing Canada's support, Venezuelans/Latino/Latinas supporting Canada support of guaido. Not a shock

Embarrassment. Lefties say Maduro isn't a real leftist yet support continuing his dictatorship anyway :thinking:

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Why do we need to back anyone? Why do we need to intervene at all? Why not let other countries do something instead of depending on the USA to do it?

Oct 25, 2017
Why do we need to back anyone? Why do we need to intervene at all? Why not let other countries do something instead of depending on the USA to do it?

Attitudes like this is why we get Rohingya genocides and no one bats an eye, and it will keep happening. It's not even like the US is intervening in any major way. They are simply declaring Maduro an illegitimate president (which he is–no lies detected).

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Attitudes like this is why we get Rohingya genocides and no one bats an eye, and it will keep happening. It's not even like the US is intervening in any major way. They are simply declaring Maduro an illegitimate president (which he is–no lies detected).
I'm not arguing with you on that, he is illegitimate.

My point is that the USA doesn't need to be the World Police force. It's attitudes like yours that lead to pointless wars that end in American brothers and sisters coming home in body bags because "The USA should do something."

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Again, "simply declaring" has resulted in thousands of victims in the past. Without a single troop on the ground. And if in case that the US using their diplomats as bait, appointing someone with history of war crimes and backing coups and death squads isn't suspicious to you that unlike many other countries, who are calling for dialogue an mediation to solve the crisis, the US is obviously pushing for a violent outcome, then you're fooling yourself. This is precisely because we should be thinking about the people first, about solving things and not promoting a war.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Again, "simply declaring" has resulted in thousands of victims in the past. Without a single troop on the ground. And if in case that the US using their diplomats as bait, appointing someone with history of war crimes and backing coups and death squads isn't suspicious to you that unlike many other countries, who are calling for dialogue an mediation to solve the crisis, the US is obviously pushing for a violent outcome, then you're fooling yourself. This is precisely because we should be thinking about the people first, about solving things and not promoting a war.

What possible incentive does Maduro have to give up power?

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
One has to admit who's backing either side makes it hard to figure out what's really going on. On the one you got Russia and China and on the other you got Brazil, Israel and the US, none of which are all that grand from human rights perspectives, especially considering Brazil and US's current leadership. And then you hear Venezuelans on both sides saying "no, the OTHER side are the real fake Venezuelans" (the pro-Maduros are bots, the pro-Guaidos are right-wing, rich expats), and it's just... a mess.

Like PoC were being burned alive there by racist anti-Maduro people a while back, so it's not as if everyone against him is innocent. But then, since WW2 and maybe arguably the Korean War, American interventionism has really helped no one...

FerDS

Oct 27, 2017
Caracas
One has to admit who's backing either side makes it hard to figure out what's really going on. On the one you got Russia and China and on the other you got Brazil, Israel and the US, none of which are all that grand from human rights perspectives, especially considering Brazil and US's current leadership. And then you hear Venezuelans on both sides saying "no, the OTHER side are the real fake Venezuelans" (the pro-Maduros are bots, the pro-Guaidos are right-wing, rich expats), and it's just... a mess.

Like PoC were being burned alive there by racist anti-Maduro people a while back, so it's not as if everyone against him is innocent. But then, since WW2 and maybe arguably the Korean War, American interventionism has really helped no one...

Sure, it makes it hard if you simply willfully ignore all the other countries and organizations that are backing Guaidó and also all the testimonies from Venezuelan people...

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
maybe maduro giving up power isn't the best resolution in the short term if the alternatives are civil war or an american intervention

trying to force assad out didn't do the people of syria or the surrounding countries any favors

Then what is left is the status quo as dialogue will accomplish nothing because Maduro will not weaken his grasp on power because he knows that is what is keeping him alive/out of prison.

FerDS

Oct 27, 2017
Caracas
Then what is left is the status quo as dialogue will accomplish nothing because Maduro will not weaken his grasp on power because he knows that is what is keeping him alive/out of prison.

This, also is not like other options haven't been tried again and again. That been said, I believe the opposition is truly trying to prevent armed conflict, and I agree with that approach

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
all the testimonies from Venezuelan people...
???? I specifically said it's hard to tell which Venezuelans to listen to. Again, both sides are outright saying the other side is lying or fake. I hate both sides takes, but quite literally it's what's going on.

To be clear, I truly believe that Maduro is no good and needs to go. What I'm not sure of is if US interventionism - which includes backing a coup- is the moral thing to do given how it's turned out extremely poorly in almost every instance, particularly in LatAm. Mexico, Uruguay, and the Vatican are attempting peaceful resolution, which is good.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, it makes it hard if you simply willfully ignore all the other countries and organizations that are backing Guaidó and also all the testimonies from Venezuelan people...

taking "testimony from venezuelans" that already align with your view of the situation is the same as trusting as gospel "testimony from brazilians" on the political situation in brazil, or "testimony from americans" on what's happening right now in the united states. aka not useless information, but you can't take random people's anecdotes as the cold facts about a very complicated upheaval.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I have and I am somewhat familiar with US interference around the globe (I won't claim to be an expert). However, you clearly do not understand why Guaido isn't merely a self proclaimed president and why it's a legitimate claim.

Clearly you are blind to the obvious US interference. I mean John Bolton of all people involved in this ? How worst can it be ? One of the more hawkish neocon involved ! Clearly Neocons have the best interest of people of Venezuela at heart ... of course the Oil reserves are pure coincidence in that equation. Here is an interesting article from the Post on Bolton involvement in that US power move :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ntervention-venezuela/?utm_term=.732f41ea8a7f

Here is an article on the special envoy, a true peacemaker...
https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/2...-career/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly you are blind to the obvious US interference. I mean John Bolton of all people involved in this ? How worst can it be ? One of the more hawkish neocon involved ! Clearly Neocons have the best interest of people of Venezuela at heart ... of course the Oil reserves are pure coincidence in that equation. Here is an interesting article from the Post on Bolton involvement in that US power move :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ntervention-venezuela/?utm_term=.732f41ea8a7f

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/26/americas/elliott-abrams-venezuela-special-envoy-career/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/

Here are some quotes from your WaPo article

Somewhat uncharacteristically, the Trump administration is attempting to make limited use of American non-military power, in conjunction with allies, to defend democratic values and encourage a peaceful transition of power from within. Looming over their machinations is the real danger that widespread violence could erupt at any time, damaging the Venezuelan opposition and threatening the lives of American diplomats in the country.

A few days into this stage of the crisis, the Trump administration genuinely doesn't know which side will win. The United States wants Maduro to go and would be happy to see him choose exile in a third country. But the Trump team is not committing the United States to enforcing that wish.

A lot depends on what the Venezuelan military does. The senior administration official speculated that lower-level military officers — unlike their politically connected leadership — might not want to kill for Maduro, and that Maduro might not want to test that proposition by ordering them to do so.

Meanwhile, Mnuchin and Ross are reaching out to international financial institutions and corporations, asking them to deny Maduro access to any Venezuelan national assets in their possession. Mnuchin and Ross are also warning governments and corporations that more U.S. economic sanctions on Maduro and his clique are likely coming, although no final decisions have been made.

The Trump team knows that using limited diplomatic and economic pressure tools will have limited effect on the ground. There's also a risk that the administration's actions will feed Maduro's claims that the entire scheme is a U.S.-led regime change operation. But officials said the United States was following the opposition's lead and was operating in conjunction with several regional actors.

It's true that Trump's new Venezuela policy — based on diplomatic coordination in defense of democracy, rule of law, human rights and principled opposition to authoritarian corruption — is somewhat inconsistent with this administration's approach to countries including Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey, etc.

Did you even read the article?

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/26/americas/elliott-abrams-venezuela-special-envoy-career/index.html?r=https://edition.cnn.com/
You need to work on your reading comprehension, never have I touched on that subject. I bolded the part of your post about Guaido and responded merely about him and the legitimacy of his - and the democratically elected National Assembly's - claim. You should also read the links you share better, they don't serve your purpose as much as you might think (and to be clear, I'm always very weary of USA's foreign intervention).

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
What possible incentive does Maduro have to give up power?

Since dialog is the only way he could stay alive or out of jail.

There are this options:

He refuses anything, war explodes and he either is killed or imprisoned, and the "US imperialism" takes over either way.
He commit to mediation, with amnisti in the table, to call either for elections or for reforms. Guaidó already said it's an option, Maduro already said it's an option, however the US keeps pushing for something else, weird isn't it.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
You need to work on your reading comprehension, never have I touched on that subject. I bolded the part of your post about Guaido and responded merely about him and the legitimacy of his - and the democratically elected National Assembly's - claim. You should also read the links you share better, they don't serve your purpose as much as you might think.

I think you clearly did not read those articles. As the Post article CLEARLY lays out the discussion between the Trump administration and Guaido BEFORE the self proclamation move. This was a coordinate action with Pompeo and Bolton at the helm on the US side.

Again, this is a proof - if needed - that the US are involved in this Crisis. You can point out at the legitimacy of Guaido as legitimate president all you want to, the fact he is supported by Neocons in Washington. And that's bad if you lool at history of Neocons track record in the region.

And if you read the second article, you will see that the special envoy for the Venezuela crisis,Elliot Abrams, has a dark past with deep involvement in the Iran - Contra scandal of the 80s.

So I've been consistent with my concerns with US involvement in this crisis throughout the thread. And the articles are only proving that further.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
If I read the articlr ? Are you stupid or what ? I posted the article. So if you read it, it's in line with what I been saying for several posts : the US intervention in Venezuela affairs. And it's clear as day, ( as if it wasn't obvious before...).

Because your post is highlighting that the people making these policies are hawkish and that the envoy isn't a peacemaker. You are implying that will use military force to oust Maduro.

The world should intervene in Venezuelan affairs because Venezuela is experiencing a massive humanitarian crisis that is even impacting the neighboring countries due to millions of Venezuelans fleeing their country.

The rub is what sort of intervention it should be.

I honestly have no idea how anyone can be opposed to coordinating diplomatically with the surrounding regional governments and the opposition, having them take the lead, and using limited economic pressure tools to put pressure on Maduro that his reign is untenable.

I mean, what's your plan?

Hope that Maduro comes to his senses and out of the kindness of his heart steps down or stops being a fucking greedy, stupid asshole who seems hell-bent on ruining his country?

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Since dialog is the only way he could stay alive or out of jail.

There are this options:

He refuses anything, war explodes and he either is killed or imprisoned, and the "US imperialism" takes over either way.
He commit to mediation, with amnisti in the table, to call either for elections or for reforms. Guaidó already said it's an option, Maduro already said it's an option, however the US keeps pushing for something else, weird isn't it.

That isn't true at all.

The WaPo link that Actarus posted makes it perfectly clear that the administration right now is using diplomatic and economic pressure to hopefully force change.

They aren't taking a militaristic coup approach

Where did Maduro actually say that he was fine with reforms?

Personally, I find that very hard to believe that even if he did say it that he will do it or it will be anything meaningful because his survival depends on him staying in power. And no, I don't think US military action is all that likely.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I think you clearly did not read those articles. As the Post article CLEARLY lays out the discussion between the Trump administration and Guaido BEFORE the self proclamation move. This was a coordinate action with Pompeo and Bolton at the helm on the US side.

Again, this is a proof - if needed - that the US are involved in this Crisis. You can point out at the legitimacy of Guaido as legitimate president all you want to, the fact he is supported by Neocons in Washington. And that's bad if you lool at history of Neocons track record in the region.

And if you read the second article, you will see that the special envoy for the Venezuela crisis,Elliot Abrams, has a dark past with deep involvement in the Iran - Contra scandal of the 80s.

So I've been consistent with my concerns with US involvement in this crisis throughout the thread. And the articles are only proving that further.
Piecake said all that needs to be said about the articles, as they show a much less hawkish and warmongering posture from the US administration than what you make it out to be. Which doesn't mean anyone should think US has no shady vested interests or that their involvement was, is and might be all roses. I don't even think anyone has been taking that position here. Maybe it will eventually escalate into military response, I don't know, but the articles show a diplomatic stance, to the point of the WaPo writer using the word "uncharacteristically".

The fact that there were talks between Guaido and the US before the proclamation has zero influence on the legitimacy or importance of his claim. The people starving, with no access to medicine, the ones arrested, tortured, killed or forced to flee do not care about "a bad look". They want good living conditions in their homeland and they deserve a leader democratically elected by them and their people. The crisis would be there with or without US involvement.

Guaido and the National Assembly want to depose a dictator who's inflicting terrible suffering on his people (with repercussions in the rest of the world due to the massive exodus) and hold new elections. It's perfectly natural and logical that he and the Assembly need international allies, especially when Maduro has the army in his hand and is backed up by nations like Russia. In fact, it would be quite dumb to make a claim without reaching out to potential allies.

Most of the international community has denounced Maduro's elections as fraudulent long ago, while authoritarian far-left regimes accepted them. Russia, China and Cuba have been exerting immense influence on Venezuela for many years. The catastrophic results of the Maduro (and Chavez) regime on the people are plain to see. Focusing on the fact that some of Guaido's international supporters, namely US, are neocons with a bad historical track record is missing the forest for the trees, or rather, missing the plight of the Venezuelan people for ideological reasons.

Bolton has been in office for like a year. If he had his way Iran would be a smoking crater by now.
Indeed, but violence against US diplomats could escalate matters significantly.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe maduro giving up power isn't the best resolution in the short term if the alternatives are civil war or an american intervention

trying to force assad out didn't do the people of syria or the surrounding countries any favors
There are millions of Venezuelan refugees right now and the power grabs are recent.

This isn't a shitty established dictator with a relatively stable country, this is a county that's faling apart with a baby dictator who was the one who decided to abandon peaceful transition of power. Because yes, some form of armed conflict is what you get when you decide to abandon armed conflict because politics is a substitute for physical warfare.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Everyone bitching about Guaido sneaking around conspiring with the U.S and etc needs to realize, no shit hes secretly working behind closed doors, his predecessors have been jailed, exiled, or murdered, hes literally working against a dictatorship hellbent on remaining in power. Also realize that Guaido and the National Assembly have been sidelined as a government institution and dont have any forces behind them except the people congregating in rallies with them. They have no military forces aligned with them (publicly), Maduro theoretically could order their mass arrest and crush the National Assembly right now except for the people protesting, the willingness of the military forces to carry out the orders, and maybe the risk of an American carrier fleet inbound on his ass.

Also remember, the U.S is still like the top dog in the world, still leader of a massive number of alliances, still carries tons of international weight, and is also Venezuela's top trading partner, any international coordinated actions require U.S support and assistance (like denying Maduro access to international financial systems) , as shown by the coordinated approval of Guaido's declaration by the Lima Group right after the U.S.

Everyone is bitching about U.S involvement, well, as much as everyone wants to downplay the usefulness of the U.S, and as much as I don't want this to be true, but maybe the only reason Guaido hasn't gone his ass arrested, or the protesters suppressed like in 2017, is due to risk of U.S intervention. Like in 2017, mass protests were held, and nothing stopped Maduro, what makes you think this time will be different? Maybe its actually time for a U.S carrier to come down and lounge around.

Your all calling for dialogue, there was dialogue already, and it failed. Isn't it clear looking at the progress of things that Maduro isn't backing down, the situation isn't getting better, and being cautious and accommodating will only weaken the opposition, and make it that Maduro will be the only figure left to negotiate in the future for helping the people of Venezuela?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, but violence against US diplomats could escalate matters significantly.

According to the BBC the diplomats are being allowed to stay.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-47023370
However on Saturday evening, as the deadline was due to expire, Venezuela's foreign ministry said it would withdraw the expulsion order, and instead allow 30 days for the two sides to set up "interest offices" in each others' countries.

Interest offices are used when countries do not have formal diplomatic relations, but want to have a basic level of contact to represent their interests.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because you will be asked to do things like freeze Maduros accounts. And then, you must make a choice. Either you freeze the accounts, siding with the opposition, or you don't, siding with Maduro.

The idea that you can stay "neutral" is a ridiculous view borne of selfishness, privilege, and delusion about the realities of geopolitics.

Status
Not open for further replies.