• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

should we add likes

• hell no i'm a cool teek

Votes: 241 20.0%
  • hell no i'm an old loser

Votes: 609 50.5%
  • thor 5: i'll trade you these green waves for 30 dollars worth of shitty takeout

Votes: 201 16.7%
  • option one was supposed to say teen WHOOPS LOL

Votes: 133 11.0%
  • throw tyrants who change poll options into an active volcano

Votes: 22 1.8%

• Total voters

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i know some consider it kind of an annoying trend but tbh i appreciate the 'like' function that's present on every other social media site. sometimes someone will post up a really long, well thought out post i agree with i'd like to endorse but my only option is clogging up the thread by quoting said post and saying "this" or "i don't have anything to add but this is a good post".

also i can't help but think that the like function might help reduce clutter in some thread where someone in the first few posts says something dumb and then gets quoted for the rest of the topic. like maybe if likes were enabled people would feel less compelled to quote that dumb post with their own one-liner and more inclined to just like the response that best dunks on them, thus allowing the conversation to move forward.

i get that there might be some issues creating forum 'personalities' based on likes but if it's not implemented Coli/reddit style i don't think that'll be too big of an issue more than it already is.

anyway this is my humble plea to the powers at be to enable the like button. i don't know if it's a huge undertaking that will never be possible to implement a la emoji but i'm hoping for a better future and doing my part to ensure a brighter tomorrow, bless up

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It creates bandwagon voting and this place can be pretty intense to roll that into things. Wouldn't dig, though I appreciate a post highlighting perspective (and agree about one-liners like "Good" or whatever new catchphrase is taking up 9 posts :P). Oooh, can an OP mark fav posts? :D

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It cuts down on the amount of pointless "I agree with this" posts but also discourages discussion.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The only time I want to like a post is when someone replies to me and I want to acknowledge them replying but there's nothing really worth typing in response.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Terrible idea. Just enables bandwagoning and further discourages people from expressing unpopular opinions

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, can we get an option that isn't necessarily a dislike or a like, but an "eeeh" button. I want an "eeeh" button.

Eeeh.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I definitely get the desire for it as sometimes you'll have a great post and it will be quoted a million times to show appreciation but there's not really any other way to do it without likes atm

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think that feature has its place in other social media sites, but in a forum like this, I wouldn't want it to drive down discussion.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Upvote systems stifle dissent and discussion and promote bandwagon effects. Being well "liked" doesn't make you right nor your arguments valid -- it just makes you momentarily popular. Leave saying what people want to hear for the demagogues.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
No, this shouldn't be that type of forum. Likes can snowball into a minimal engagement circlejerk. "672 people liked this epic shitpost"

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
Dislike the idea too. It discourage discussion when you can support/not support someone without having to explain why, and get people lazy.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate you responding suggestion, OP. But actually, I like that this forum doesn't have a feature for 'likes.'

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I would rather have likes than people quoting a post and replying with either 'this' or '.' as a way of showing they agree, especially if I can turn likes off.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Just say "Like".
Alternatively, change your username to 'Liked'.
Use alt account 'Disliked' for the other threads

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No thanks. All it will do is lead to bandwagoning and instead of quoting someone and explaining that you agree or why you agree people will just say "like" and move on.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Then prepare for era to become reddit with a bunch of snarky and "witty" quip comments just to see who can get the most likes.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
No please. I don't want people to start getting more recognition just because of how many likes they have. Besides it also causes some bandwagon effects.

Plus when I see how many 0 likes I have in my posts I'll get sad lol.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I rarely feel more socially ignored than when I can't even get "likes" from friends. I never really contribute to other social sites anymore for that reason.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
No. Then the forum becomes a game where people are just fishing for likes as well as discourages any discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
Like buttons are the worst thing that has happened to the internet. Their purpose is to say that your opinion is shit and you should not post.

A good example of this are the forums at GOG.com which is filled with Gamergaters and they will like every post that agrees with them and downvote every post that disagrees with them.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how easy it would be to implement, but I prefer the idea of "reporting for awesome", so it's like a like, but with no stats displayed, and then the best "awesome" posts get a sub section of awesome posts where you can view great posts in threads you might have missed. The penny arcade forums used to do this and it worked quite well.