• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

should we add likes

• hell no i'm a cool teek

Votes: 241 20.0%
  • hell no i'm an old loser

Votes: 609 50.5%
  • thor 5: i'll trade you these green waves for 30 dollars worth of shitty takeout

Votes: 201 16.7%
  • option one was supposed to say teen WHOOPS LOL

Votes: 133 11.0%
  • throw tyrants who change poll options into an active volcano

Votes: 22 1.8%

• Total voters

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Not everyone posts opinions and ideas.

Some people post OT's and important information.
Yeah, I've done an OT myself, and essay-type stuff in the past. But the same still applies. People can express in posts criticism, encouragement, or praise. That's much more valuable than a wordless like/dislike.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
thor-another-gif-17.gif

OP
OP
lacer

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's some fox news ass interpretation of the poll
nate silver says willful misinterpretation of data is as bad as fabricating data. i say i've dunked 100% more basketballs than nate silver, regardless of how much lower the rims might be than regulation.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like what 'likes' does in arguments.

HOWEVER.

'Likes' should be enabled SPECIFICALLY and ONLY for the original post of threads.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds nice but I agree that it discourages discussion.

How about require a word minimum on replies. Oh snap!

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this happens, what the forum needs is someone who registers, never ever posts, but likes a bunch of posts all over the forum as their only means of communication.

We have one of those on another forum I'm on. Getting a like from that account is like getting a faint message from some kind of entity in the spirit realm, or like the ghost of one of your ancestors.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The race for that witty first post is bad enough, but it's over quickly because there can be only one first post. Imagine threads filed with people fishing for that most liked post. We don't need this site to devolve into an imgur comments section where everyone is fighting for those sweet internet points.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If might be fun to make bait shitposts then when people reply to you just like their posts instead of responding back

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I think it would work well with the following caveats:
- Only you can see the likes on your posts
- No dislikes

There. No worrying about bandwagoning, no worrying about people shitting on you with a button click, and you get to know other posters that agree with you without page after page of thread clutter.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I voted no because the answer was funny, but I am neutral towards the idea. As long as there are no Dislikes.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Dislike

Sorry, I don't want a voting per post system. If it happens, it happens, but this type of thing just seem to breed unnatural behavior.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I believe only Platinum Tier members get access to upvotes, downvotes, and frowny smiley faces.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
The only time I want to like a post is when someone replies to me and I want to acknowledge them replying but there's nothing really worth typing in response.
What if there was a "seen" button you could use on a post that only activates on posts that quote you? Perhaps it could have a submenu where you could choose agree/disagree reactions, or could simply opt for "seen," as in acknowledged. Or "seen" could be a notification that only the replying poster can see.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike this idea.
Discussion in this forum should not be a constant popularity contest.

OP
OP
lacer

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if there was a "seen" button you could use on a post that only activates on posts that quote you? Perhaps it could have a submenu where you could choose agree/disagree reactions, or could simply opt for "seen," as in acknowledged.
this is the kind of psychotic thinking that leads to people enabling read receipts, a far more insidious and repulsive feature of modern technology than the comparatively innocuous like

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
this is the kind of psychotic thinking that leads to people enabling read receipts, a far more insidious and repulsive feature of modern technology than the comparatively innocuous like
Well, I'm sorry. It could be an optional feature you could disable in privacy settings, of course, if you don't want people to know what you're looking at. Like the "last seen" feature that already exists.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
This sounds like a good way to get trolls/burner accounts to brigade and upvote some post that is absolute shit but not shitty enough to get banned over.