• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
29c0bdc6f9813e820f8bb6e372bafc1d.jpg

I'm looking at places and just because I'm intrigued by the perspective from those that live in the city.
I ask, can you live in San Francisco on the cheap? First I understand that you're going to have a lot of roommates and not in the best neighborhood.

What's your take on the struggle, How do you do it?

Oct 25, 2017
In a cardboard box...maybe. Wasn't there an article not too long ago that was saying there are lots of people with regular jobs that can't even afford rent there and live in their car?

Nov 7, 2017
Depends on your definition of cheap

You can live in the city on the "cheaper" side (Sunset and Richmond neighborhoods) for avg rent of $2500.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. You know it's bad when starting salaries for certain jobs are $100k plus and you can't even live comfortable on that there. That's probably equal to $40k salary in Florida.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you are extremely lucky to have a friend that has a rent controlled apartment and an empty bedroom/space.

Oct 28, 2017

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
find some roommates because it is pricey. also one of the best cities ever. you get what you pay for. try lower haight

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like you hear that people have so many roommates but the rent is still a $1,000+, is that your situation?

Nov 7, 2017
Sure, it used to be. Or are you one of those overpaid types from another state who don't know any better?
I don't know what that's supposed to mean

Are you saying that I don't know any better because I moved out of Florida where nurses are treated and paid like shit to a city that is unionized and one of the highest paid areas in the US?

And yes I'm aware of the homeless problem in SF but "poop" is not everywhere in the city like you want it to be

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Based on what I've read here and in the news, no. It's supposedly one of the most expensive cities in the world, rent and home price wise. I've only visited once, though, for an event and didn't leave the Four Seasons (which I regret, because I should've gone to see the bridge. I'd assumed I would on the way from the airport, but didn't.)

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to need roommates, but you can get a room. It's definitely possible if you're single or a couple.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
I know someone that bought a van w/o windows, a nice looking work van, and lived out of that in SF.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get why oak is getting more expensive.

Because there's only so much room in the Bay Area, and people will pay more money to live closer to work. If it's either pay high prices in Oakland and get to work in 40 minutes on BART, or live at a reasonable price out in Tracy and drive three hours each way every day, most people will pick Oakland given the financial means to do so.

tintskuecha

Oct 25, 2017
Normally, no. But like anywhere else, there's places that rent out the living room, have multiple people in the rooms, etc and you can find an "affordable" rate.