• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Craigslist.

The offer seemed almost too good but I bit anyways and it ended up working out perfectly. Sometimes you just luck out on these things.
That seems like the best way to do things, yeah sucks to live with other people but you save money and have a little extra for whatever you want

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not always the experience though. This isn't trying to compare to the likes of NYC, SF, LA, Chi, D.C., Philly, etc. This is just to show that you can live for about ~$800/mo in housing in a city that is the anchor of a major metro area with lots to do.

I live about 15 minutes (using surface streets) from downtown in a metro area of 4 million+ people, so I'm not in the middle of things, but, I have a single car garage, a 1259 sq ft house, and a huge backyard for my dog to play in and my mortgage is ~$800/mo.

Due to the abundance of resorts here we have a lot of great restaurants from chefs who leave the resort and strike out on their own. Due to being the only major city in the state there is a vibrant arts culture that is manifest in having venues for "Broadway shows" (travelling, since only NYC has the real Broadway shows), Opera, Symphony, a bunch of theaters and music venues, and dozens of modern art galleries all of which are downtown.

This city is called Phoenix. Yes, the rest of the metro area outside Tempe sucks and the rest of the state outside the cities of Phoenix, Tempe, Flagstaff, and Tucson sucks.
I don't think we're disagreeing. I would saying living in PHX ,especially downtown, is more like living in those big cities than akron or the suburbs people are talking about.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle is doing a lot of building, but with how many people Amazon is pulling into the area I honestly wouldn't expect prices to drop dramatically.

My best advice is just to find an apartment 15-30 minutes from downtown Seattle and maybe look at living near a park-and-ride if you want to take a bus instead of commuting. I currently live in Mountlake Terrace which is a pretty good location (not far from Bellevue or Seattle and you don't need to cross the water or pay a toll if you're going to one or the other), but this area is creeping up in price too. Lynnwood or maybe as far north as Everett probably have decent rent still, but then you'd be living in Everett...
What's wrong with Everett? I've been there a few times and I remember it being a nice little town.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with Everett? I've been there a few times and I remember it being a nice little town.
Massive drug problem, sadly. It actually made the news since the city was sueing a drug company for allowing doctors to over-prescribe medication.

When I went to high school in Everett (this was about 10 years ago at this point so this might have improved), there was also a lot of gang activity. Friend of mine's brother ended up in the hospital because of it.

It's not all bad of course, there's several restaurants I really enjoy there, Everett Community College wasn't bad when I took a class there.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking and there's where you rent with roommates which looks like a hostel like hotel and it's 3 person room to a quad from $600 to 800 a month

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It's really not as hard as people think as long as you have a few roommates and know where to look. My sister has lived in SF in a nice area for 7 or 8 years, and she's a bartender. Has her own room and bathroom.

Planning on living by yourself though? Good luck with that.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Moved here almost 10 years ago and will echo what others have said: Find a room open in a house. Even in Mission, Noe, Castro, Hayes, all the central spots, you could probably find something like $600/month. Make friends with your roommates, clean up after yourself, chip in when needed, and it's a great life. Don't be the quiet one who doesn't talk to anyone/slips in and out without anyone noticing/doesn't contribute to house upkeep.

If you want to live alone and you dont have a tech/finance job, lol no sorry.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not as hard as people think as long as you have a few roommates and know where to look. My sister has lived in SF in a nice area for 7 or 8 years, and she's a bartender. Has her own room and bathroom.

Planning on living by yourself though? Good luck with that.
If the rent is cheap, life should be good. You get payed a lot and have money for fun

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I live right downtown but it's only because I've been there since the 90's and also rent control :-) Trying to move there now though? Fuck no.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Threads like these are always fascinating to me. I'd love to move out of my shitty town in MS and to a city like SF or NY but the prices always seem to be out of this world.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fascinating. You would think that the Bay Area is a hellhole worse than favelas from some of these poster. I came from Miami and the Bay Area>>>Miami by a mile

Jealousy, maybe. Or possibly conservatives who think it's a one giant hippie enclave. You see that a lot on local news/blog comment sections or the SF subreddit.

I mean, there are certainly valid criticisms to raise against the Bay Area like anywhere else, but the hyperbolic hate just reads as bitterness.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing about a stranger looking at SF is all the tourists because of the City, it would feel weird

But then again someone moving to a new city, you are a stranger.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
29c0bdc6f9813e820f8bb6e372bafc1d.jpg

I'm looking at places and just because I'm intrigued by the perspective from those that live in the city.
I ask, can you live in San Francisco on the cheap? First I understand that you're going to have a lot of roommates and not in the best neighborhood.

What's your take on the struggle, How do you do it?

The city itself sucks.

Live in the outer areas; Berkeley, Oakland ect...

And no if by cheap you mean under 1500-2000

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moved here almost 10 years ago and will echo what others have said: Find a room open in a house. Even in Mission, Noe, Castro, Hayes, all the central spots, you could probably find something like $600/month. Make friends with your roommates, clean up after yourself, chip in when needed, and it's a great life. Don't be the quiet one who doesn't talk to anyone/slips in and out without anyone noticing/doesn't contribute to house upkeep.

If you want to live alone and you dont have a tech/finance job, lol no sorry.
Are there websites to any of these ? I've been looking like I said but what I found is housing properties that seem to rent rooms to people but that's it.

What's the best way to find these ?

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Is it me or do liberal cities ironically make it harder for people to thrive in?

I'm an idiot. So if the above is grossly stupid, I already laid the reason why, on the table.

What city isn't liberal?

Honest question. I'd define a real city as 100,000 and density more than some subdivision with grassy yards.

The cities don't make it hard, the good old American dream does. Competition is fierce, and efficiencies are high. All at a time when even liberal politicians are reluctant to provide help to those at the bottom.

Swim or sink. Luckily cities have larger, but deeper pools.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Portland and Seattle are already there my friend. I'm glad I have my tech job in Eugene. 1100 for a two bedroom apartment that I can live in by myself.

Portland and Seattle are still extremely cheap compared to SF.

You can rent a 700 square foot 1-bedroom apartment in Seattle for under $1500/month. The same apartment in SF would cost more than double that. You can get 1-bedrooms in Portland for under $1200. The restaurant scene in Portland is absurdly good for such a small city, and the meals literally cost about 1/4th what they would cost in SF. And both cities have lower taxes (no sales tax in OR, no income tax in WA). Of course, the weather is not nearly as nice.

The Bay Area is fantastic if you don't mind living with a bunch of roommates, or you're willing to spend an hour+ commuting one way, or you make $200k+ a year, bought a house many years ago, have a rent-controlled apartment, etc. Otherwise, it's simply not worth it.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently renting a room for $750 + utilities in the city. The adjustment to living with people I've never met before wasn't so bad because everyone is pretty quiet here.

The limited space and having to share the bathroom/kitchen with others kinda sucks sometimes but I absolutely love the neighborhood I'm at (Inner Richmond) and the commute to my job is super easy by bus. I honestly got blessed with this deal when it came to timing but I'm sure there's similar offers going, you just have to keep searching and be patient.

is it your own room ?

i used to pay 610 a month including utilities near park merced; i had the living room all to myself and it was in a 2 bedroom / 2 bath apartment. it was the BEST. unfortunately, got kicked out as the master leaser was going to get married.

i'm assuming you're in the mission downtown ?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
What city isn't liberal?

Honest question. I'd define a real city as 100,000 and density more than some subdivision with grassy yards.

The cities don't make it hard, the good old American dream does. Competition is fierce, and efficiencies are high. All at a time when even liberal politicians are reluctant to provide help to those at the bottom.

Swim or sink. Luckily cities have larger, but deeper pools.

Plenty of cities aren't liberal leaning (check out how Saint Cloud, FL votes), but you're right. It seems that the bigger more successful ones tend to be vastly liberal, and cutthroat competition is obviously raised to greater heights in a place that attracts more people from more places.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
What city isn't liberal?

Oklahoma City is probably the most notable one. Large population (~650k) and still conservative.

Though that seems to be rapidly changing.

Portland and Seattle are already there my friend. I'm glad I have my tech job in Eugene. 1100 for a two bedroom apartment that I can live in by myself.

Whatever. I'm still going to try to make it work. I'm in tech as well. I think I'll be okay. Worst comes to worst, I'll move to Indianapolis where the rest of my family is.

Regardless of what happens, I need to get out of Alabama after I graduate. I'm sick of this place.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So craigslist might be the go to website, but does anybody know any other way to find cheap rent?

Like a work program or something like that

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I still remember getting a job offer coming out of grad school that was located in SF. After running the numbers and realizing that I would struggle with a six-figure income I turned it down and never looked back. Good luck to you OP. Even if I did love SF paying 1000 to live in someone's bathroom tub doesn't feel like the move to me.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
Lived in SF coming up on 10 years. Make ~30k a year. Rent controlled apartment.

Yeah it's possible.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would think if you had roommates it's doable, but you might have to set up a situation with like a bed in the living room and another bed in a 1br. I would think a decent 2br you'd still be paying in excess of $1500 each.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why'd you wanna be surrounded by rich people and people with no lives outside their job? (cause that's the only way to afford to live there)?
This is the most amazing example of an "I read some hot takes on ERA and formed my entire opinion based on that" post that just regurgitates bullshit. I'm literally in awe at this post.
Edit: damn, a necrobump

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at my options, I want to start school I'm the fall but I'm fearful of the move, still trying to find somewhere cheap, I have a couple of months to look

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lived in SF coming up on 10 years. Make ~30k a year. Rent controlled apartment.

Yeah it's possible.

Rent controlled apartment that 95% f people don't have does make it possible.

Don't look at SF proper Oakland, Emeryville and Berkeley are great choices. You can get a studio from anywhere between 1200-2000 a month.

They go quick but I've seen a studio in downtown Berkeley for 1250 a month.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the heart of the tenderloin?

I know this is an old post, but Polk and Union is Russian Hill, substantially north of the Tenderloin.

This is the most amazing example of an "I read some hot takes on ERA and formed my entire opinion based on that" post that just regurgitates bullshit. I'm literally in awe at this post.
Edit: damn, a necrobump

Yeah, if anything it would be more accurate to categorize SF as a work-hard/play-hard city. Folks love their recreation here, and definitely love to drink.