• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is this forum going to do when Avatar 2 embarrasses whatever Marvel entry comes out the same year at the box office?

Are they going to say 3D was the only reason?

I bet I know. Watch everybody credit Disney with the Avatar 2's success. Mark my words.

Just do me a favor. If you're wrong, please don't be like that assclown Bobby Roberts and ninja edit all your posts...

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the movie twice and couldn't help you there OP.

What does this mean? It means the movie is good enough to rewatch (high praise from a guy who is obsessed with watching as many movies as possible) but character is most definitely not Avatar's strong suit.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Just watch, two years from now we will have some Indiewire article along the line of How Disney Willed Avatar Into the Public Conversation and Saved Cameron's Behemoth from Box Office Disaster before then starting the article with a history wherein Disney lay the groundswell for success by smartly opening up World of Pandora.

And the narrative of Disney being responsible for Avatar's success will be the new hot thing. I fucking guarantee it. Idiots will latch onto this as their new hot take.

Oct 25, 2017
The name's of fictional characters appearing in a ~2 hour movie you watched 10 years ago is disposable information and our brains know it.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
The culture around the dislike of Avatar has always baffled me. People love to criticize Hollywood for having too many reboots and sequels and not enough new franchises and standalone films, but immediately pounce on Avatar when at the moment it's one of only three movies in the top 20 in terms of domestic box office gross (not adjusted for inflation) that meets that criteria at this moment. Yes, I'm aware that there are several Avatar sequels in the works, but this criticism has been around since before those were officially announced.

Also, and this is coming from someone who likes the Marvel films, people always bring up how similar the plot is to Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas, yet happily eat up the latest superhero film that usually follows the same general plot structure as the ones that came before.

Why does everyone become hypercritical of Avatar when other films suffer from the same issues, also make billions at the box office, and are often less "original" and part of huge franchises?

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Just watch, two years from now we will have some Indiewire article along the line of How Disney Willed Avatar Into the Public Conversation and Saved Cameron's Behemoth from Box Office Disaster before then starting the article with a history wherein Disney lay the groundswell for success by smartly opening up World of Pandora.

And the narrative of Disney being responsible for Avatar's success will be the new hot thing. I fucking guarantee it. Idiots will latch onto this as their new hot take.
"Did Kevin Feige secretly save the Avatar sequels?" as clickbait headlines on every nerd shill web blog

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Jake's the only one I can reliably remember without googling. Everyone else I just call by their actor's name.

I will own every bit of crow possible. Avatar 2 won't bomb. It will be a success.

It definitely won't bomb. But I dunno if it'll make Aquaman money, either.

Goddamn that is weird to type. An Aquaman movie made a billion dollars. What a timeline.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"Do you ever think that maybe Avatar's real life and we're the ones stuck in a crappy James Cameron movie?"

Big Money Salvia never fails to crack my shit up, lmfao

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aang
Katara
Sokka
Zuko
Toph
Azula
Iroh

I know, wrong Avatar, but I can't name a single one from that one.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I know the main two characters which is more than I can say for most movies. I know John Wick but not a single name of anyone else. I remember Wikwiki or something from Transformers but no one else. This was a dumb video imo. Person on the street shit is stupid in general though.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Jake's the only one I can reliably remember without googling. Everyone else I just call by their actor's name.

It definitely won't bomb. But I dunno if it'll make Aquaman money, either.

Goddamn that is weird to type. An Aquaman movie made a billion dollars. What a timeline.
Avatar will easily trounce Aquaman worldwide.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
What is this forum going to do when Avatar 2 embarrasses whatever Marvel entry comes out the same year at the box office?

Are they going to say 3D was the only reason?

I bet I know. Watch everybody credit Disney with the Avatar 2's success. Mark my words.
Tbh I'll credit a lot (not all )of Avatar 2's success to Cameron being a brand name and audiences going to see it because of nostalgia. However, if Avatar 3,4 and 5 continue to break box office records I'll admit defeat and eat a crow buffet .

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Only name that I vaguely remember is Sully. I know Zoe Saldana played the blue alien and Stephen Lang was the bad guy. Don't remember much plot details at all.

All I remember is that it looked pretty and had great 3D, which was enough for me to go see it. That's the same reason I'll see the sequel too, not because of plot or characters but to see some (hopefully) cutting edge CG/3D/filmmaking.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jake soo lee

For the record I think Avatar hate is soooo tired. Highest grossing movie of all time. Get over it, why does it bother you?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't bet the house on it.

The lengths people will go to downplay Marvel stuff are so absurd they end up making themselves look foolish instead of the movies.

Yes, there is more to Avengers' story than "superheroes team up." I'll leave you to puzzle that out for yourself, though.

Does the story have a clear strong theme?

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aside from Titanic, literally all Franchises that spam theaters with movies every year and most cases based on prexisting characters who were already known and established. vs a movie released 10(!) years ago with literally no other form of media released since. These are all media franchises that are crammed into the minds of audiences via sheer forced exposure

And you can't possibly unironically remember anything about those new Jurassic thing movies.
Owen Brady
Claire
Vincent Donofrio's character was Hoskins

I'm good at remembering useless shit, sorry

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deadpool and Logan are my favorite comic book movies of the last 10 years or so and I can't name any characters outside of the title characters and Professor X and Colossus but those are characters I've know for 25+ years beforehand. The bad guys name from Deadpool if you gave me an hour or so to think about it might pop up. Vincent? Something like that? Oh I do remember Negasonic Teenage something. Warhead?

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried really hard but I really couldn't. What a forgettable movie. The only scenes I remember is the weird tail sex scene and the tree being on fire

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'll credit a lot (not all )of Avatar 2's success to Cameron being a brand name and audiences going to see it because of nostalgia. However, if Avatar 3,4 and 5 continue to break box office records I'll admit defeat and eat a crow buffet .
Cameron isn't a brand name though. Or Battle Angel Alita wouldn't have tanked. The way it was marketed was attempting to bank entirely on his name and hiding the fact that Rodriguez directed it.

Cameron's name didn't sell the first Avatar either. Dude hadn't been around for twelve years. The film sold itself through word of mouth.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to that guy anyway? Used to think he was a smartass asshole but haven't seen him around here.

And if he's here, well hi there, smartass asshole.

Very long story short:

Got permabanned for being an asshole.

Was accused of sexually harassing at least 2 or 3 different women

Nuked all his social media accounts/sites

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar 2 only "fails" if the script has fundamental structural problems with it, but aside from maybe The Abyss (which is still a strong story), Cameron has never written just a fundamentally lacking script.

If its a decent script it will top $1 billion easy and probably $1.5 bill++. Cameron won't skimp on the action spectacle so that's not really an issue.

Character names are one thing but there's almost no one in any country with a movie going base who can't recognize Avatar's alien characters as belonging to Avatar. They are iconic visually.

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of dumb survey is this? I watched Alita a week ago and I already can't remember any of the names besides, well, Alita.

But yeah I remembered Neytiri at least.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The only name from the movie I remembered was Unobtanium, because it's near impossibly dumb.
I did remember the main blue girl had a name starting with N.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The culture around the dislike of Avatar has always baffled me. People love to criticize Hollywood for having too many reboots and sequels and not enough new franchises and standalone films, but immediately pounce on Avatar when at the moment it's one of only three movies in the top 20 in terms of domestic box office gross (not adjusted for inflation) that meets that criteria at this moment. Yes, I'm aware that there are several Avatar sequels in the works, but this criticism has been around since before those were officially announced.

Also, and this is coming from someone who likes the Marvel films, people always bring up how similar the plot is to Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas, yet happily eat up the latest superhero film that usually follows the same general plot structure as the ones that came before.

Why does everyone become hypercritical of Avatar when other films suffer from the same issues, also make billions at the box office, and are often less "original" and part of huge franchises?

I've personally never griped at a movie or Hollywood in general for lack of originiality. I enjoy watching films for a variety of reasons, they do not have to be original.

Avatar is just a bad movie; the writing is so terribly ham fisted.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Probably as many as I could from any similarly shallow popcorn flick. (Which is to say...not many. Only Jake Sooli.)

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The only name from the movie I remembered was Unobtanium, because it's near impossibly dumb.
I did remember the main blue girl had a name starting with N.
In Avatar's defense; they didn't invent that... it's been used in sci-fi and other contexts for over a century, so it's a bit of an homage.

But in the context of the movie, which in it's entirety is equally as ham fisted as the term "unobtaniun", it was terrible lol