• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
people always bring up how similar the plot is to Dances with Wolves and Pocahontas
What I like about avatar is that it doesn't fall into that kind of "everyone learns something about each other and learns to live together" trap. In avatar, the colonialists are evil, the natives are angry as hell and they kick them the fuck out, losing none of their identity as they do so.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
What I like about avatar is that it doesn't fall into that kind of "everyone learns something about each other and learns to live together" trap. In avatar, the colonialists are evil, the natives are angry as hell and they kick them the fuck out, losing none of their identity as they do so.
Uhhhh... except.. that's essentially the plot from the main character's perspective lol

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I can't.

Jake Sully, Neytiri and Grace that's as much as i got, i don't remember what anybody else is called, not mr army scar guy, not greedy CEO, not Michelle Rodriguez character contruactually obligated to die, and certainly none of the other Na'vi fodder.

And BTW i re-watched the movie as little as last week, and that's the only reason why i remember Weaver's character's name.

Edit: for some reason i read the thread title as "can you name all characters", oops.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
First name that came to mind is Awah or however you spell it, and that wasn't even an actual character in the movie lol! I do remember Jake Sully too tho. Love me some Avatar

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that actually watched the video in the OP? :P

Jake's the only one I can reliably remember without googling. Everyone else I just call by their actor's name.

It definitely won't bomb. But I dunno if it'll make Aquaman money, either.

Goddamn that is weird to type. An Aquaman movie made a billion dollars. What a timeline.

lol aquaman money.

The first Avatar grossed 2.5 times that.

Why does everyone become hypercritical of Avatar when other films suffer from the same issues, also make billions at the box office, and are often less "original" and part of huge franchises?

Because Avatar is not part of the specific IPs they nerd out about and have been nerding about since their formative years.

Last edited:

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Cameron isn't a brand name though. Or Battle Angel Alita wouldn't have tanked. The way it was marketed was attempting to bank entirely on his name and hiding the fact that Rodriguez directed it.

Cameron's name didn't sell the first Avatar either. Dude hadn't been around for twelve years. The film sold itself through word of mouth.

Okay. I'll play along. If Cameron isn't a brand name who do you consider to be one? His brand was literally " I'm the guy who made the most successful movies ever" post Titanic. Not to downplay his directing talent but the spectacle of seeing if Cameron can top himself is now part of the meta narrative of every one of his films.

Also people know the difference between a producer and director. This wasn't an Alan Smithee situation. They named Robert Rodriguez as the director in every Alita trailer.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you're moving the goalposts already? Of course it won't bomb but put an actual prediction on it.

I'm going to say that the franchise isn't what you think it is and won't hit a billion. I'd say around 800 million worldwide

Who's moving goalposts? There were never any goalposts to begin with. I will say it will easily crack a billion worldwide. I expect $1.5b as the floor.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I'll play along. If Cameron isn't a brand name who do you consider to be one? His brand was literally " I'm the guy who made the most successful movies ever" post Titanic. Not to downplay his directing talent but the spectacle of seeing if Cameron can top himself is now part of the meta narrative of every one of his films.

Also people know the difference between a producer and director. This wasn't an Alan Smithee situation. They named Robert Rodriguez as the director in every Alita trailer.

I think there are very few directors these days who can sell a movie off name alone. Spielberg can't even sell a movie off his name alone these days.

I think Christopher Nolan is probably the biggest name that attracts mainstream audiences to an unestablished property. Whether or not he got that way because of his work with Batman.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
This works with Independence Day too.

Try it.

Independence day, however, is not concidered a landmark of pop culture in the same level of Avatar, there are only three things people remember about that movie:

1.- "WELCOME TO EARTH!"
2.-Boomer Lives
3.-My personal fave, This guy:

giphy.gif

Avatar is supposed to be a mega franchise juggernaut, iconic even according to people on this very forum.

I assure you no one is dying to visit "Independence day land" on Disney World.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking Nayomi or Nefertiti (however you spell it).

I'm wrong. Starts with an N though.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
But they DO then go on to complain about how there aren't enough original sci-fi IP projects.
Cameron gave nerds a scifi with an alien moon where 9ft tall cat people can psionically link to dragons, before flying them through floating mountains to fight gunships and mechs. The nerds - along with the rest of mainstream audiences, all went to see it multiple times.

Then it became the highest grossing film of all time and a symbol of mainstream culture, and nerds no longer wanted to be associated with it. Titanic, having been dethroned, then was welcomed with newfound appreciation after 12 years of being shat on by nerds for the same reason.

Internet dudes don't want to be lumped in with mainstream audiences.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Very long story short:

Got permabanned for being an asshole.

Was accused of sexually harassing at least 2 or 3 different women

Nuked all his social media accounts/sites
Holy shit, never though he'd that far. Thanks for replying.

Anyway, let's not get carried away with an asshole and rather go back to that blue aliens that connect with horses through their hair.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, never though he'd that far. Thanks for replying.

Anyway, let's not get carried away with an asshole and rather go back to that blue aliens that connect with horses through their hair.

So they're technically fucking those horses, right? Considering that blue people also connect their hair together when they fuck, if I remember right.

So bestiality is pretty much accepted by them?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
So they're technically fucking those horses, right? Considering that blue people also connect their hair together when they fuck, if I remember right.

So bestiality is pretty much accepted by them?

I know people love to joke about this, but just so we're clear, Na'vi fuck in the traditional mammal/human way, this is explicitly shown in the film, the hair thing is not sexual, it's just to make them sync better.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Movie came out long ago and no sequels yet. Can anyone remember the names from Mad Max: Fury Road?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are very few directors these days who can sell a movie off name alone. Spielberg can't even sell a movie off his name alone these days.

I think Christopher Nolan is probably the biggest name that attracts mainstream audiences to an unestablished property. Whether or not he got that way because of his work with Batman.

No director can sell a movie off name alone. The movie in and of itself has to be good or at least appealing to audiences to be an actual success. However, a name brand director can at least garner interest and get people into the theater for an untested IP because of their track record. Nolan can do it because of the cachet he got off the Dark Knight films. Cameron's in the same boat because he did Aliens, Terminator and the two most successful movies of all time.

Name brand status doesn't last forever (e.g M. Night or the Wachowskis) but until Cameron directs a flop or gets unseated as the #1 box office earner that prestige is still attached to his name.

Oct 27, 2017
Jake
Neytiri
Norm
Grace
Selfridge
Quaritch
TsuTey
Wainefleet
Max

How am I doing?

Good memory.

I think I could have remembered Jake Sully, Neytiri and Grace. No idea if Grace has a surname.

I also remember Turuk Makto (sp) but I don't know if that would count.

So how many Marvel movies (that invite the Avengers character comparison that they set up) have released since 2010?

How many Avatar sequels?

Hmm!

They're comparing to the other highest grossing blockbusters though. Maybe they should have asked about Titanic too as that was also a single film.

"Jake Sully" is saved somewhere in my head for some reason.

Me too. I think it's because the way they say it in the film: Jakesooly

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because the white guy had to come from earth to tame the best beast and organize the resistance against the machines. Such an empowering tale of the power of a tribe, lmao.

The movie is beautiful but lacks any substance. It's the embodiment of that phrase.