• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Anything more complicated than a PS2 or there abouts is when the soldering becomes a bit too precise for me to handle.

An HDMI cable sounds like torture though I've done other mods to DC/GCN/PS2/XBOX/Wii.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really love to use one to build a drone but I have nowhere to set it up, seems like a thing you'd keep in a garage and mine is really small

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Never soldered in my life before and I nodded a gameboy with a backlight and bivert mod easily enough. Watch some YouTube videos on soldering technique and you learn.

I always though you soldeeeing by adding the soldering to the iron the entire time. Boy was I wrong!

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Absolutely! Those little DIY kits are a perfect learning tool. The basic ones tend to have fairly big solder pads and use components that are fairly heat-resistant, so they're beginner friendly. You can find all kinds of fun little projects like little radio transmitters, IR blasters, flashing LED displays. From there you can move on to more elaborate kits that involve some tidier soldiering and using heatsinks etc.

Here in Australia we have a magazine called "Silicon Chip" which is full of fun little projects, and stores like JayCar or Altronics that stock kits on the shelf. There are kits you can buy off cheap Chinese sites which are OK I guess. Just be sure to test each component with a multimeter as you go and use your own solder. I'm thinking of grabbing one of the cheaper valve headphone amp kits for a lark.
Good to know. I just ordered a couple of practice kits. I'm also eyeballing an Arduino starter kit, but I'll hold off on that for now. XD

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
I would not. It's too small for me to see. I wouldn't be able to determine if the work I do is good or harmless.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Let's be more specific, does something like this look doable to people here:

maxresdefault.jpg

How about this instead:

DSC_0874.jpg
I went to school for circuit card repair quite some time ago, and I can tell you with certainty that the jobs as appearing above are very easy...provided you have the right equipment and a bit of practice.

If you have a cheap 10 dollar iron, with a fat tip, no flux (to aid in heat transfer), you will likely have large globs and bridging on your hands.

Soldering is much easier than you think.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd definitely tackle it, but it depends on what it's for. I've done a switchable region mod on my MD1 as well as installing the ancient Xecuter (not sure exactly which one) in my OG Xbox.

What is it, exactly? Couldn't see it answered.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Soldering wires to a board is easy. It's soldering SMDs that sucks because it's microscopic and delicate.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I've wired a serial cable to c64, added a new laser on a ps2, repaired another c64, soldered together an arduino and a dev board that connects to it.

The only thing that ever really deters me is when you're dealing with super small components where you need a air gun or whatever those are and tweezers. Even then... if I wanted it bad enough.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Absolutely! Those little DIY kits are a perfect learning tool. The basic ones tend to have fairly big solder pads and use components that are fairly heat-resistant, so they're beginner friendly. You can find all kinds of fun little projects like little radio transmitters, IR blasters, flashing LED displays. From there you can move on to more elaborate kits that involve some tidier soldiering and using heatsinks etc.

Here in Australia we have a magazine called "Silicon Chip" which is full of fun little projects, and stores like JayCar or Altronics that stock kits on the shelf. There are kits you can buy off cheap Chinese sites which are OK I guess. Just be sure to test each component with a multimeter as you go and use your own solder. I'm thinking of grabbing one of the cheaper valve headphone amp kits for a lark.
Update: So, I completed one of the two practice soldering kits that I purchased last night. Earlier today, I did a battery mod on my Dreamcast so I don't have to deal with a soldered-in LIR 2032 battery anymore. I plan on installing a self-healing fuse for the controller ports when the parts arrive, too. I have to say, despite the practice kit's instructions not being all that great, the repetitive nature of it has made me already pretty comfortable with soldering. Thanks for recommending the practice kits!

Nov 4, 2017
Update: So, I completed one of the two practice soldering kits that I purchased last night. Earlier today, I did a battery mod on my Dreamcast so I don't have to deal with a soldered-in LIR 2032 battery anymore. I plan on installing a self-healing fuse for the controller ports when the parts arrive, too. I have to say, despite the practice kit's instructions not being all that great, the repetitive nature of it has made me already pretty comfortable with soldering. Thanks for recommending the practice kits!
Good news, I'm glad it worked out well.

A few years ago I turned down a free Dreamcast with two controllers, arcade sticks, VMUs and a spindle of games because it had the dead battery issue and I didn't realise how easy it was to fix. I'm still kicking myself.

Mills

Oct 28, 2017
Soldered 2 v4 PS2s and a v7. Somehow first try on the first v4, second try on second v4, and third try on v7 (the much easier of them). Good times. I would not solder for work nor fun.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Good news, I'm glad it worked out well.

A few years ago I turned down a free Dreamcast with two controllers, arcade sticks, VMUs and a spindle of games because it had the dead battery issue and I didn't realise how easy it was to fix. I'm still kicking myself.
Oh, yeah, that would've been a nice little bundle, even if the Dreamcast didn't work. A lot of Dreamcasts also have dead controller ports, which is another simple fix. Dreamcasts aren't terribly expensive, in either case, depending on where you are, though I'm obviously thinking much more about the possibility of buying "for parts or repair" systems to practice my soldering at this point.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I have soldered connectors onto cables, so maybe? But i used solder tinn mixed with lead so it has a much lower melting point and is easier to handle than lead free.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Yes. I was taught by a really great technician (in a physics laboratory where we built these long-lasting gas measurement/anaytical devices).
It takes practice and a certain art to doing it correctly.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I did learn how to when I was in high school, and could probably pick it up again though I was always pretty sloppy at it.

I actually might do it soon, as I have a cheap propel drone where one motor seems to have sucked up some sand, and I would
like to buy some new replacement motors to fix it. Pretty sure it would require some rudimentary soldering to fix.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a soldering iron recently so that I could install a Brook universal fighting board into my arcade stick.
I'm 40 years old but I'd never soldered anything before. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos, including videos from Ben Heck (who is great). I'm not exactly great at it, but really it's not that hard, and I find it fun actually. Since then I've soldered quite a few things, just basic stuff.

Give it a go if you get the chance. it's kind of empowering being able to put together little projects.