Can you run Windows 11?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
TPM is supposed to only be required for disk encryption, so in theory only people running Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker encryption should need it.
However, there's been this worrisome concept of "Treacherous Computing" in so far that DRM schemes could potentially use your TPM chip to lock purchased media and programs to one single device or computer. It may very well be that Microsoft is encouraging this by compelling everyone to adopt TPM now.
It does sound like this requirement is just one further step into the idea of creating walled gardens and restrictive, controlled uses of a computer, a notion that big companies seem to crave so irresistibly. If that is the actual intent behind this TPM 2.0 requirement, well, that is one more reason for the community to be very vocal against it.

IMO this could have been a worry in the past but everything is a subscription now so there is no need to lock anything to a single device. You are already locked to a single copy through the requirement of needing a corporate account to do anything.

Netflix account, Steam account, etc. The DRM happens through your account and you are kept as a customer through the subscription.

Thus locking to a single device is kind of obsolete now.

----

I have to wonder if this trend of requiring latest security chip (TPM etc) version is a trend in the future too, then could Win12 require MS Pluton? And for true future-proofing I should skip straight to a Pluton-supporting chip?

www.microsoft.com

Meet the Microsoft Pluton processor – The security chip designed for the future of Windows PCs | Microsoft Security Blog

In collaboration with leading silicon partners AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., we are announcing the Microsoft Pluton security processor. This chip-to-cloud security technology, pioneered in Xbox and Azure Sphere, will bring even more security advancements to future Windows PCs and...

Last edited:

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping the Steam Hardware Survey had listings of CPUs like it does for GPUs, but it doesn't seem to - I wanted to see how many people are still using the 4770K or 4790K like us - because given the most popular card is the GTX 1060, released 5 years ago, and processors are upgraded less often than GPUs... I'm guessing it might affect quite a few people.
I'm a still running a 4790k. They no good for 11?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Microsoft has done a piss poor job at clarifying things with this OS.

Their inability to clarifying things is what's causing all the confusion.

Between the TPM requirements, the hard floor/soft floor breakdown (especially in regards to CPU support) and the Health Check app, it's just been a massive clusterfuck.

My laptop, a ThinkPad P50 has the following specs
  • 2.6ghz i7-6700HQ (with Intel TPM 2.0)
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1TB m.2 nvme ssd
  • Nvidia Quadro m1000m GPU
According to the minimum specs, I should be good to go.

According to the supported CPU list, my laptop can't run the OS.

According to the hard/soft floor, it can, but isn't recommended.

That's three separate, official things from Microsoft that give my computer three different results.

No wonder people are confused.

Last edited:

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Rip my 4670k, you will be replaced one day, but it is not this day.

My Thinkpad has TPM 2, but an I5-6300 so isn't supported either.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried it with my Core i7-6700k and 32GB of RAM...No dice.

Does that mean I need a newer CPU to support it, even though my CPU/Mobo technically supports TMP? Or should I also activate secure boot as well?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked my desktop, had to activate the TPM thing on the BIOS and its good to go. I have an Asus x570 Wifi Plus Mobo, a Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 GB of Ram and a 3060.

It wasn't hard to activate on the Mobo, at least on this one, its specifically stated as AMD fTPM. Came defaulted to discrete TPM, changed it to firmware TPM and was good to go.

Its on page 25 of the BIOS manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

My laptop has a i7-7700HQ, and it seems it isn't compatible, so its gonna rock Windows 10 until 2025.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arguably some Macs I would expect but can't say for certain.
As for Windows I can't recall a step change this significant
Yeah this seems like quite an inconvenience tbh. I'm doing my best not to upgrade given the costs but this seems to be putting a deadline on my pc. I get the feeling I may end up having to buy on finance since I just don't have the cash

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Macs back to 2013 support Big Sur
  • 2006 MacBooks were dropped in OS X Lion (2011)
  • 2009 MacBooks were dropped in macOS Sierra (2016)
  • 2011 MacBook Pros were dropped in macOS Mojave (2018)
  • Early 2013 MacBook Pros were dropped in macOS Big Sur (2020)
  • 2014 MacBook Pros are being dropped in macOS Monterey (2021)
Yet they can all run Windows 10.
There is not a single Mac owned by my family that can run a modern release of macOS any more, because Apple seems to drop support after 7 years (or less).

Microsoft uses strict requirements for their beta of Windows 11 - that they have said will be relaxed in later builds - and suddenly they're worse than Apple for extended hardware support.
People are also ignoring that there are soft and hard caps for what can run Windows 11. Many are probably running Windows 10 on "unsupported" CPUs as well, without even knowing it.

They're also making this far more "difficult" for themselves by doing an upgrade install rather than a clean install.
A clean install of Windows 11 is likely to only support UEFI rather than Legacy installs - so you don't have to deal with things like converting an MBR disk to a GPT one.
It should be noted that Apple has also required disk conversions for OS upgrades in the past, too - which I had to do manually via the terminal on some systems because their automatic conversion would fail.
I still don't know how so many people here have apparently managed to install Windows 10 in Legacy mode on their PCs.

I had that happen in the past. Mbr2gpt refused to work for a drive. I ended up using easeus partition master to do the conversion and it worked great. I hate paying for software (it's 40) but they usually have half off coupon codes you can find.
Alternatively, just do a clean install of Windows when your system is configured to boot in UEFI mode.
I don't know why so many people are freaking out over this and doing potentially dangerous things like converting their Windows 10 drives to GPT.

That's the other side. More people will have secure boot on by default but people who just install Windows onto Windows over the course of years will likely be using legacy boot. I was until recently!
To be fair, setting secure boot before you upgrade Windows is probably the best call here. Then you can backup anything else first.
UEFI has been a thing since Vista in 2006.
I don't know how so many people here have managed to be running Windows in the legacy mode.

Against my better judgment tried the mbr UEFI conversion again and, this time, it worked without issue.
However I still don't pass the PC Health Check! WTH? I have TPM 2.0 enabled and UEFI now. Have no idea what I'm failing on.
I saw some people mentioning that you need DirectX 12.1 instead of just 12? My dxdiag shows just DX12. Should it say DX 12.1?
The five requirements that we know of so far are:
  1. Your CPU must be on the compatibility list: Intel / AMD. Note: this is a "soft" cap where you fail the compatibility check, but it will not prevent you installing the OS.
  2. Secure boot must be used, with compatibility support mode (CSM) disabled.
  3. TPM 2.0 must be supported and enabled (currently).
  4. Virtualization needs to be enabled. ASUS disables it by default on my Crosshair Hero VI for example (first-gen Ryzen).
  5. 60 GB free space is required on a GPT-formatted boot disk.
This is gonna be a mess. The average / casual Windows user is gonna be lost as fuck. How do you intend to launch a new version of Windows with a potential option needing turned on in BIOS or even some newer systems won't upgrade? I wanna say the average user doesn't even know what BIOS is, lol. Man, this ain't a great start to this thing.
The average/casual user is running an OEM (pre-built) system from a company like Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. which should be configured to work with this out of the box.
This is a problem for people that built their own PC - and mostly for those who don't have their BIOS configured correctly.
ASUS, for example, has terrible defaults on their gaming motherboards - and it's likely that most others do as well.

It should also be noted that the average person is never going to upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 themselves anyway.
Most people will 'upgrade' to Windows 11 when they buy a new PC.
I was speaking with someone recently that was still running Vista on an old PC because they just use it for things like record keeping for their business, and they asked me why they couldn't run some newer piece of software.
When I said that support for Vista was discontinued several versions ago, and suggested that it might be possible to upgrade it to a newer version of Windows, they said they'd just buy a new PC because that would be easier.

Unless if Intel are crazy, it's an errata in the listing. The 4790 non K shows yes because Haswell has the technology inside.
Intel has been absolutely terrible about feature support across their CPUs.
They arbitrarily disable features on many CPUs to create artificial product segmentation.
It would not surprise me at all if people find out that older K-series CPUs (unlocked/gaming versions) do not support security features like TPM.
They have also locked out things like Virtualization extensions and ECC support. They still do lock people out of the latter, unless it's rebadged as a Xeon.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Knowing Microsoft, there's gonna be a point when they are going to throw requirements out of the window and I'm going to start seeing pop-up messages recommending me to install 11 :/

Faderlite

Aug 2, 2018
Alternatively, just do a clean install of Windows when your system is configured to boot in UEFI mode.
I don't know why so many people are freaking out over this and doing potentially dangerous things like converting their Windows 10 drives to GPT.

Yeah a clean install is definitely the best option. There are reasons why someone would choose to convert. Whether that is worth the potential problems is up to them. Its nice there are options.

Last edited:

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Got fTPM enabled from the BIOS, get-tpm and tpm.msc give me the green light, but it's still not compatible, even though I basically built a new computer last year. Something's not right there.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
IMO this could have been a worry in the past but everything is a subscription now so there is no need to lock anything to a single device. You are already locked to a single copy through the requirement of needing a corporate account to do anything.

Netflix account, Steam account, etc. The DRM happens through your account and you are kept as a customer through the subscription.

Thus locking to a single device is kind of obsolete now.

----

I have to wonder if this trend of requiring latest security chip (TPM etc) version is a trend in the future too, then could Win12 require MS Pluton? And for true future-proofing I should skip straight to a Pluton-supporting chip?

www.microsoft.com

Meet the Microsoft Pluton processor – The security chip designed for the future of Windows PCs | Microsoft Security Blog

In collaboration with leading silicon partners AMD, Intel, and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., we are announcing the Microsoft Pluton security processor. This chip-to-cloud security technology, pioneered in Xbox and Azure Sphere, will bring even more security advancements to future Windows PCs and...

So what is it used for then? There is not really any other reasonable explanation to make it a hard requirement for the average home user and it's not like MS has not tried exactly this approach before with Palladium (and failed), i don't give them the benefit of doubt anymore sorry.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
App says my PC isn't compatible. Intel 6700k. I have TPM and secure boot turned on. Confirmed my mobo has TPM 2.0 with tpm.msc.

No idea

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, my 5900x running on an X570 Strix-E paired with 32GB of RAM and a 3090 can't run Windows 11, what am I gonna do?

Straight to the garbage bin it goes.

/s

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
Microsoft has done a piss poor job at clarifying things with this OS.

Their inability to clarifying things is what's causing all the confusion.

Between the TPM requirements, the hard floor/soft floor breakdown (especially in regards to CPU support) and the Health Check app, it's just been a massive clusterfuck.

My laptop, a ThinkPad P50 has the following specs
  • 2.6ghz i7-6700HQ (with Intel TPM 2.0)
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1TB m.2 nvme ssd
  • Nvidia Quadro m1000m GPU
According to the minimum specs, I should be good to go.

According to the supported CPU list, my laptop can't run the OS.

According to the hard/soft floor, it can, but isn't recommended.

That's three separate, official things from Microsoft that give my computer three different results.

No wonder people are confused.

Great summary. The PC Health Check app in particular is a janky, poorly thought out piece of software that is torpedoing any good publicity Microsoft may be getting around Windows 11.

Not giving users feedback about what is incompatible is shady and is as big an oversight as lumping together recommended and minimal specs and giving all those users a "not compatible" message.

Then there's the issue of excluding users with perfectly capable e.g. Ryzen 1st Gen or Intel 7th Gen CPUs from that "soft floor" list.

App Update Planned

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great summary. The PC Health Check app in particular is a janky, poorly thought out piece of software that is torpedoing any good publicity Microsoft may be getting around Windows 11.
agreed thankfully they're going to update it

but they really shouldn't have released it in that state in first place

Nov 14, 2017
TPM is supposed to only be required for disk encryption, so in theory only people running Windows 11 Pro with BitLocker encryption should need it.
However, there's been this worrisome concept of "Treacherous Computing" in so far that DRM schemes could potentially use your TPM chip to lock purchased media and programs to one single device or computer. It may very well be that Microsoft is encouraging this by compelling everyone to adopt TPM now.
It does sound like this requirement is just one further step into the idea of creating walled gardens and restrictive, controlled uses of a computer, a notion that big companies seem to crave so irresistibly. If that is the actual intent behind this TPM 2.0 requirement, well, that is one more reason for the community to be very vocal against it.
That's not how TPM works at all. All the trusted computing stuff already exists in your CPU, and even browsers on Linux have to use the proprietary codecs if they want to play protected content. The TPM is just a key store. Linux will use it for encryption same as Windows, and Linux also needs to UEFI key store that fTPM is based on for secure boot same as Windows.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's not how TPM works at all. All the trusted computing stuff already exists in your CPU, and even browsers on Linux have to use the proprietary codecs if they want to play protected content. The TPM is just a key store. Linux will use it for encryption same as Windows, and Linux also needs to UEFI key store that fTPM is based on for secure boot same as Windows.

Again there is not really any other reasonable explanation to make it a hard requirement for the average home user and it's not like MS has not tried exactly this approach before with Palladium (and failed), i don't give them the benefit of doubt anymore sorry.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
It's a NO here, but my PC is very old (Z68/2500k) so to be expected, however seeing nearly 50% in this poll being in the same boat I guess something may have to give. As long as I can still run the games I want to run on PC then I won't feel compelled to upgrade for Win11... not that it'll be an issue as Win10 will not lose support from devs or MS any time soon.

Along with crazy PC component prices, things like this do dent confidence in the platform as a viable alternative to consoles.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
My Ryzen system is good to go after activating fTPM, but my old but still very capable X99/xeon machine looks SOL.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it can't, but I was planning to build a new system with Intel's 12th Gen anyways.

Not even sure if I want to make the switch to Windows 11 immediately either. I usually like to wait a few months.

Nov 14, 2017
Again there is not really any other reasonable explanation to make it a hard requirement for the average home user and it's not like MS has not tried exactly this approach before with Palladium (and failed), i don't give them the benefit of doubt anymore sorry.
The reasonable requirement is so we can have a hardware root of trust available to anything that wants it in the OS. The functionality is already there. Mac's already have it with their T1 chip. If you don't want it, don't run Windows. The hardware itself is totally use-case agnostic. You can use the same technology to create a more locked down and secure Linux environment.

Are these tpm modules on ebay manufacturer specific, or are they an industry standard?
They are standard. Remember to look in your BIOS first to make sure you really need one!

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
My PC meets/exceeds all requirements, PTT is enabled and recognized in Windows, but it's apparently still not enough. UEFI is "Legacy" and Secure Boot is "unsupported", what should I make of that? MSI BIOS, by the way.